Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bottom bracket stripped

Options
  • 17-06-2020 9:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭

After two LBS's, a blowtorch and a tyre shops impact driver I finally have my bottom bracket out. It an aluminium frame if that makes a difference.

On the drive side some of the thread is gone, although not so much that the socket can freely be pushed in.

Would I need to move to a threadless bb or could I force the drive side in to retread/lock into remaining threads.

https://ibb.co/6WJN24P

Also, this is a 68*127.5 bb. Would a 68*127 work? If I have to go threadless, the yst 127mm is far cheaper and more available.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,997 ✭✭✭cletus

Those threads look fubar to me, but I'd imagine you'd need to ream the BB for a press fit to work

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭barry181091

cletus wrote: »
    Those threads look fubar to me, but I'd imagine you'd need to ream the BB for a press fit to work

I hadn't thought about that actually. I could go at it with a large file I guess :o

• Registered Users Posts: 7,997 ✭✭✭cletus

I hadn't thought about that actually. I could go at it with a large file I guess :o

Well, you could, but the chances of you introducing ovality into your bottom bracket is pretty high, I'd imagine.

I normally advocate buying the tools and doing it yourself, but this might be a job for the lbs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

I presume that you removed a square taper bb.

If only a few threads are damaged you could buy a saint hollowtech 2 bb(which is longer on ds and should engage enough threads).

You'll need to figure out with spacers etc what to do to fix chainline.

It's that pressfit or epoxy in a regular hollowtech.

Any option will need a new chainset.

If non ds is damaged the saint bb won't help

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/shimano-saint-bb80-hollowtech-ii-bottom-bracket/rp-prod38345

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭ciarsciars

I had a very similar issue with an old Giant CX frame with a stuck BB. Took it to several LBS and none could remove the BB, except the last LBS who took a blow torch to it!
    It worked fine for a bit with the new bb and then the threads eventually stripped.
    I bought a square tapered Oxford threadless BB (68x110mm) and installed it with a single chainring up front. It's still running smooth today, not Hambini smooth but fine for me. I use it as my turbo trainer bike.
    Its difficult to tell from the image but I don't think my threads were as bad as yours, not sure though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,392 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

i have a threadless yst one on an old mtb for a few years now- did the job

Thanks all! What I went for in the end was this; https://www.highonbikes.com/products/yst-threadless-repair-bottom-bracket-square-taper

HighonBikes was actually the only shop I could find with the 127mm size!

I confirmed that this should fit into the diameter of my frame, thread and all.

Will update!

While waiting for this BB, I thought I may as well do the other work on the bike in the meantime!

I cleaned everything with white spirits; the chainset, casette, derailleur. I also cleaned and added fresh grease to the rear and front wheel bearings, as well as a creaky pedal.

I attempted to soak the chain in white spirits in the hope that it could be revived but no luck really!

Next is to change the gear cables and, perhaps, the brake cables.

Advertisement