Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Detective Garda Colm Horkan killed in Castlerea, Roscommon - [MOD WARNING POST #1]

Options
  • 18-06-2020 1:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,665 ✭✭✭✭

Just happened in the last hour, no further details.
    https://twitter.com/eoghanymurphy/status/1273404712650489858?s=21

Mod: The whataboutery is strong in this thread. Apparently my last two mod warnings weren't clear enough, so considering a man has died in what seems to be very tragic circumstances for all involved, the next person who decides to make it a race or traveller issue when there is NO evidence to even remotely support that, or engages in some stupid whataboutery along the lines of "what if the Garda shot first/what if the guard/attacker was black" is going to find themselves thread banned and/or forum banned.

Mod - (15/03/2023) Steven Silver found guilty of capital murder - thread reopened
    Post edited by Ten of Swords on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭Class MayDresser

Before the **** storm arises, hope they're OK. Nobody deserves to be shot at work.

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭Green Peter

Thoughts and prayers that they will be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,665 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

garda firearm taken and uniform member shot number for times ,

serious injuries , not expected to make it

one in custody

no further details

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

mynamejeff wrote: »
    garda firearm taken and uniform member shot number for times ,

serious injuries , not expected to make it

one in custody

no further details

Hopefully that’s not accurate and he pulls through.

Awful news.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Mod:

I have deleted a number of posts that are speculating on the current status of the Garda in question. Can I please ask everybody to not speculate further on this until confirmed reports come in, one way to the other? Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Confirmed now on RTÉ that the guard in question has died .. RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

RTÉ are now confirming the Detective Garda has died.

May he rest in peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

^^ Thanks for the heads up.

RTE article here:
    https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0617/1148139-garda-shooting/

RIP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

Shocking. Poor man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,157 ✭✭✭Be right back

What a terrible loss. May he rest in peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭KevRossi

RIP and sympathies to his family and friends. I can still remember the killing of Garda‘s Morley and Byrne a few miles away in Loughglynn in 1981.

I guess we’ve all had a grumble at the Gaedai but it puts it into perspective what they do when this happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭SaltSweatSugar

This is devastating news. He was an absolute gent. Thinking of him, his family and his colleagues at this extremely difficult time.

RIP lad, you will be missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,922 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Awful news and I hope the individual that shot him gets the attention he deserves in the station.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

may the culprit suffer the joys of police brutality for the rest of his incarcerated life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Dreadful news this morning. My thoughts with his family and friends RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭coffeepls

Awful news. God love him. Thinking of his colleagues and family this morning. RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

Awful news and I hope the individual that shot him gets the attention he deserves in the station.

It's awful that one guard lost his life, I really hope that other guardaí don't lose their careers, because of this individual.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭KevRossi

kowloonkev wrote: »
    may the culprit suffer the joys of police brutality for the rest of his incarcerated life.

That would help nobody.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭LessOutragePlz

Shocking news, it's a reminder of how dangerous the job can be. May he RIP.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Terrible thing to happen. Reminds us of what the guards deal with every single day. His poor family and colleagues. R.I.P..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

KevRossi wrote: »
    That would help nobody.

We all know he's going to suffer and rightly so. It helps to protect other Gardai because the vast majority of scumbags know they're going to suffer if they harm a Garda. So yes it does help.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,922 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

It's awful that one guard lost his life, I really hope that other guardaí don't lose their careers, because of this individual.

Very possible the stairs in the Castlrea station are steep and accidents do happen. The lack of respect for AGS in this country from a huge number is really sad to see. Its not just criminal elements that have issue with them. If alot of the scumbag and scrote elements could be subjected to a firm kicking when required the country would be an awful lot better imo. Instead, you have every scobe with a smartphone trying to provoke a reaction as they know they are virtually untouchable.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Shocking. No need for that here in Ireland. I wonder who the hell it was and how it happened?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

kowloonkev wrote: »
    We all know he's going to suffer and rightly so. It helps to protect other Gardai because the vast majority of scumbags know they're going to suffer if they harm a Garda. So yes it does help.

No it doesn't. I hope he gets charged with the full extent of the law, and gets life in prison.

A beating behind closed doors does nothing to "scare" other criminals. A justice system that is extremely tough on this sort of crime might though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭Funkfield

I believe anyone who attacks the institutions of a state should be charged with treason

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Phil.x

Terrible news. R.i.p.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Let the vermin rot in his prison for the rest of their life ! The one crime here that might get more than a suspended sentence. The judiciary and politicians here have blood on their hands, they are entirely responsible for the lack of law and order!

Awful news to wake up to.

RIP and condolences to his family, friends and colleagues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭TheDenialTwist

Very saddened to hear this morning about the tragic loss of life of this detective while he was on duty last night. Thankfully an arrest was made. Condolences to family, friends and colleagues.

Advertisement