Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Detective Garda Colm Horkan killed in Castlerea, Roscommon - [MOD WARNING POST #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Get Real wrote: »
    So this man had 91 previous convictions, killed a Guard by driving at his squad car. In 2011 got 8 years for this.

And in early 2019 was out and driving again, despite a 20 year ban. Not that he should have been out in 2019 anyway. Madness.

Edit: sorry, he got out of prison for killing a Garda in 2015! 4 years! Then in April last year, having been released, drives dangerously and allegedly assaults a Garda. But is bailed. He's currently living in his house until July, the next court date. Madder than I originally thought. Presumed he'd be in custody.

Endless money for certain things, but not to protect citizens from vile scum! It's a fcuking disgrace! The cost of these endless repeater scum free legal aid , garda time , wendare claims , knocking out the next generation of scum , must he outrageous!

When I hear about the high cost of prison spaces , the colossal cost as well as moral disgrace it is and danger to the general populace, its insane. Main agenda though ? Not your safety,,, no Increasing pension age and other such financially idiotic schemes. You can sue for anything these days , I actually think you should be able to sue the state if you are a victim of crime if they haven't taken measures to keep scum off the streets , which they couldnt care less about ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

In Cork recently a teenager was stabbed multiple times by another teenager. The injured teenager may lose an eye. His attacker is out on bail. What signal does this send out to scumbags?
    I'm with the long sentence brigade.

Condolences to the Garda's family and friends. Shocking situation.

We need more prisons in this country, are judges been told not to jail anyone unless they have to??...looking at whats going on for the last decade in our courts this appears to be the case. Unless you kill someone theres a fair chance you wont go to jail.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Infernal Racket

Has he fallen out with her over this? What a utterly vile and stupid things of her to say. You can be damn sure if she is ever is in danger she'll want the guards to help her.

No, they fell out over something else a couple of weeks ago. She's all kinds of crazy

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

LuasSimon wrote: »
    We need more prisons in this country, are judges been told not to jail anyone unless they have to??...looking at whats going on for the last decade in our courts this appears to be the case. Unless you kill someone theres a fair chance you wont go to jail.....

Assuming there is such a shortage of prison spaces only the most dangerous scum can be locked up. Ultimately its governments fault, lack of prison spaces and no mandatory sentencing...

We are the opposite extreme of the us here... the guards are seen as boy scouts by scum....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,703 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Garda sources told The Irish Times that Det Gda Horkan was not responding to a call and did not intervene in any dispute at the time of the incident.

However, during an anti-crime patrol the detective stopped a man to speak to him on Main Street, apparently after seeing a moped being driven erratically, when the struggle ensued.

The garda’s weapon came lose from its holster during the course of the struggle. The suspect got hold of it and fired it until it was empty, discharging a total of 15 rounds, of which several hit Det Gda Horkan. Two gardaí from Castlerea station, who were passing the scene at the time in a patrol car, saw the immediate aftermath of the killing. They then tackled the suspect and arrested him.

Seems like such a random incident, terrible for the Garda and his family

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Gunther_Gloop

Look at what this crazy bitch has to say about it

For anyone who bothered to check Twitter, this tweet clearly had nothing to do with the shooting (unless some Tweet(s) from her have been deleted in the meantime?).

I know nothing about the lady in question. Nor do I care. But the post showing her out-of-context tweet seems like a nasty misrepresentation to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭selectamatic

enricoh wrote: »
    Wasn't there a big public protest over the cops in castlerea not so long ago? Is this anyway connected anyone know?

There was one over an incident involving another guard and two local people.

Nothing to do with Colm Horkan.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭walshb

For anyone who bothered to check Twitter, this tweet clearly had nothing to do with the shooting (unless some Tweet(s) from her have been deleted in the meantime?).

I know nothing about the lady in question. Nor do I care. But the post showing her out-of-context tweet seems like a nasty misrepresentation to me.

If the tweet she sent has zero to do with this incident I would retract my posts on it.

walshb wrote: »
    If the tweet she sent has zero to do with this incident I would retract my posts on it.

Why not take a look on Twitter and see for yourself and get back to us.

So this man had 91 previous convictions, killed a Guard by driving at his squad car. In 2011 got 8 years for this.

And in early 2019 was out and driving again, despite a 20 year ban. Not that he should have been out in 2019 anyway. Madness.

Edit: sorry, he got out of prison for killing a Garda in 2015! 4 years! Then in April last year, having been released, drives dangerously and allegedly assaults a Garda. But is bailed. He's currently living in his house until July, the next court date. Madder than I originally thought. Presumed he'd be in custody.

No surprise whatsoever

Probably the most abhorrent and disgusting thing about this country is its sentencing of serious crimes and criminals....

Been like this for many many years......

Life senetence in Ireland is an average 17 years.....that is utterly disgusting.

• Advertisement

Someone asked her directly was her tweet to do with this shooting. The last time I looked (about half hour after screenshot posted here), she hadn’t responded to the question.

Has she explained what that tweet was about?

Nope. Says it all about her really.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

The thing is the tweet isn’t in context to anything in particular.....anyone who regularly sees her tweets will know exactly what she was referring to , she might not have gone into detail but it’s clear what the **** was stirring up...

Idbatterim wrote: »
    The " sentences" are a joke , but surely that is influenced by lack of prison spaces? Which is a political decision?

The prison capacity is 100% the issue. We have one prison for Connacht with a population of 500k, it's a disgrace.

Prisons have closed over the past twenty years instead of more being opened.

Crime hasn't been an election issue and this will continue until that changes.

For the likes of this man, he doesn't even deserve a cell. If it could be proved beyond doubt he did it, he should be executed and save the cells for the scumbags with a few 100 convictions.

No surprise whatsoever

Probably the most abhorrent and disgusting thing about this country is its sentencing of serious crimes and criminals....

Been like this for many many years......

Life senetence in Ireland is an average 17 years.....that is utterly disgusting.
    Is this the same person that killed the Mayo guard in Donegal ?

Why not take a look on Twitter and see for yourself and get back to us.

I did....she sent the tweet 3-4 hours ago

I stand by my posts about her and her tweet...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

The scum are taking over the streets of al our towns and villages .....too few Prisons and not enough guards and soft judges three of the reasons the scum have won !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭Field east

This is one of the biggest issues in the State. And doesn't get a fraction of the coverage in the media or people speaking out as say, the trolley crisis in health (also an extremely important issue)

Those that benefit from the Legal aid system and repeat offending, don't want to rock the boat. Yes, everyone has rights, which should be respected.

But I have yet to see a journalist investigate of all the crime that happens in Ireland, how many people who commit crime have 20 convictions or more, and how many who commit offences were already out on bail for other offences. I'd wager it's a huge percentage of our crime.

When the Gardai are part of a massive system, with many moving parts, they are generally the pawns of the system and yet take all the blame when something goes wrong.

In 2015, Garda Tony Golden (RIP), on duty alone, attended a domestic incident. He lost his life. Tributes were paid, politicians condemned it

Almost 5 years later, this Garda (RIP) tragically lost his life, again on duty alone. Tributes are being paid, politicians are condemning it.....

By all accounts the late guard was a credit to the force. The nation can ill afford to lose such people.
    If my memory serves me right, the late guarda Golden was called out to a domestic incident . He knew who the two involved in the incident were. He knew how ‘ unbalanced ‘ the male partner was. When the engagement escalated he was shot dead by the male. Garda Golden was aware of the individuals past and that likelihood that that included the use of firearms.
    I then remember an interview on radio with an Irishman working in the police force in England. And he said that an individual policeman/woman in England came across any kind of situation that could escalate/ their life in danger , etc etc, that they are very strongly advised not to proceed and to immediately call for back up before proceeding.
    I hope that the above is the situation in Ireland now. We now never know what we are confronting on a daily basis because of vandettas, drugs, drink, mental health, etc. it could be something as simple as someone asking you for a match to light a fag and the person could act very aggressively if ‘refused’

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Jeeze I had forgotten about poor Tony Golden from Ballina who was killed in Omeath in 2015.

I was only thinking earlier about Robbie McCallon from Swinford who was killed in Donegal in 2009.

This is now three Gardai from Mayo killed while in the line of duty in 11 years.

And John McCallion, Robbie's brother, another serving Garda died suddenly in 2019.

RIP to all of them.
    They deserved a lot more than life dealt them.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 16,743 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

For someone who does not know her or care about her, how then can you be so sure the tweet is out of context? Can you tell us what she was refering to exactly?

Field east wrote: »
    By all accounts the late guard was a credit to the force. The nation can ill afford to lose such people.
    If my memory serves me right, the late guarda Golden was called out to a domestic incident . He knew who the two involved in the incident were. He knew how ‘ unbalanced ‘ the male partner was. When the engagement escalated he was shot dead by the male. Garda Golden was aware of the individuals past and that likelihood that that included the use of firearms.
    I then remember an interview on radio with an Irishman working in the police force in England. And he said that an individual policeman/woman in England came across any kind of situation that could escalate/ their life in danger , etc etc, that they are very strongly advised not to proceed and to immediately call for back up before proceeding.
    I hope that the above is the situation in Ireland now. We now never know what we are confronting on a daily basis because of vandettas, drugs, drink, mental health, etc. it could be something as simple as someone asking you for a match to light a fag and the person could act very aggressively if ‘refused’

Yes, that death was terrible.

And I remember thinking about how the most dangerous situations usually involve the likes of what happened here. Man and woman breaking up, history of issues, very very volatile...

I was quite surprised that an experienced garda would attend such a scenario alone like that.

• Advertisement

For someone who does not know her or care about her, how then can you be so sure the tweet is out of context? Can you tell us what she was refering to exactly?

It's very clear what she was referring to, and I don't believe she has cleared anything up. Her silence on it is deafening; unless I missed something......

• Registered Users Posts: 16,743 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

[QUOTE=jmayo;113774628

And John McCallion, Robbie's brother, another serving Garda died suddenly in 2019.

.[/QUOTE]

Was he the poor man that died of a heart attack while out cycling?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

major bill wrote: »
    , I can guarantee when the suspect is named he will have a rake of convictions.

RIP Det Garda Colm Horkan

Can ya guarentee that can ya? You couldnt be further from the truth.

You havent a ****ing clue like the majority on this thread.

Can ya guarentee that can ya? You couldnt be further from the truth.

You havent a ****ing clue like the majority on this thread.

Unless you know for certain, I don't see how the chances are so far from the truth

I doubt it's the man's first brush with the law, anyway...

I'd argue there is quite the possibility that this man has several convictions, and probably some for serious type crimes.

But really, it doesn't overly concern me if this is his first offence......

Just lock him up for a long long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

For the likes of this man, he doesn't even deserve a cell. If it could be proved beyond doubt he did it, he should be executed and save the cells for the scumbags with a few 100 convictions.

Gilberto with the inside track from Terryland. Spouting ****e as always.

It's very clear what she was referring to, and I don't believe she has cleared anything up. Her silence on it is deafening; unless I missed something......

The quote came in between a post about China loaning money and pubs reopening. I agree she's an idiot if she's posting about someone who died in Mayo, but there is no evidence to suggest that it has anything to do with that and it's silly to speculate -if it is that, let her hang herself. But there's no reason to get fired up (and possibly libel the lady) by speculating on it or even discussing it.

I was quite surprised that an experienced garda would attend such a scenario alone like that.

Why would you think he had any option?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

Strumms wrote: »
    Higgins, Leo and all the rest of them can fûck off with their tributes.... he is dead not just because of a bunch of scumbags but because he was asked to do a job where he needed resources, but was denied them and left alone...

i just want to remind everyone..that Leo (and co.) made multiple statements celebrating and eulogizing George Floyd. Floyd was a multiple felon who once held a pregnant black woman at gunpoint. He broke into her home with a gang of men and pointed a gun at her pregnant stomach. He terrorized the women in his community. He sired and abandoned multiple children, playing no part in their support or upbringing, failing one of the most basic tests of decency for a human being. He was a drug-addict and sometime drug-dealer, a swindler who preyed upon his honest and hard-working neighbours.

So his words mean **** all when referring to the guard who was murdered ladt night.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭White lighting

The quote came in between a post about China loaning money and pubs reopening. I agree she's an idiot if she's posting about someone who died in Mayo, but there is no evidence to suggest that it has anything to do with that and it's silly to speculate -if it is that, let her hang herself. But there's no reason to get fired up (and possibly libel the lady) by speculating on it or even discussing it.

Who died in Mayo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

RIP to the Guard involved, just shows how out of control Ireland is becoming, we are almost at the state where they might aswell disband the Guards because there is no justice or law and order. Scumbag judges and the entire legal profession who have turned us into this liberal softtouch on crime dump. There needs to be a massive clear out of the judiciary and all free legal aid etc must go. There needs to be regulation of solicitors and our entire law system must change.

The fact that an unwanted coalition Government is being formed contrary to the democratic wishes of the Irish people just shows the contempt being shown for the ordinary people. FG voters didn't vote for FF nor did FF vote for FG etc.

Between high taxes, corrupt councils and ridiculous regulations and the fact that law and order barely exists shows how fast we are rapidly deteriorating.

Advertisement