Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Detective Garda Colm Horkan killed in Castlerea, Roscommon - [MOD WARNING POST #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,482 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

by the very definition of what this Garda was, armed.. the expectation was that he could or would be interacting with high level organized crime or dangerous, violent and or armed individuals. Yet he gets put into a family saloon on his own, to fend for himself... Ireland, this country and the running of it is just such an absolute fücking joke...

• Registered Users Posts: 56,237 ✭✭✭✭walshb

bubblypop wrote: »
    Why would you think he had any option?

I am not with you......

Unless you are saying he was forced to go alone to a very volatile situation....?

And it was potentially very volatile....it's not like he would not have known the potential for danger. These scenarios where men and women are in bother and trouble will always raise the possibility of volatility...

Plus, the man involved was known to gardai as a danger...

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

RIP. Tragic.

Here's something to make your jaw drop. So far in the 5 and half months of 2020, 31 cops have been killed in the US on the job.

For all the talk about BLM and black killings, this is the reality of working as a cop. And ask yourself has CNN covered even a single death of a cop with more than a passing mention? It's a disgrace when you think about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,576 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

joe40 wrote: »
    What stupid referendum campaigns are you talking about.

Canada spent much more than us looking for the same seat. Canadians aren't idiots, it must mean something.

Its a talk shop nothing more.

And its not even a permanent seat either.

Complete waste of taxpayers money which could have been spent on body cams or some other equipment that the Guards are looking to be provided with.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

theguzman wrote: »
    RIP to the Guard involved, just shows how out of control Ireland is becoming, we are almost at the state where they might aswell disband the Guards because there is no justice or law and order. Scumbag judges and the entire legal profession who have turned us into this liberal softtouch on crime dump. There needs to be a massive clear out of the judiciary and all free legal aid etc must go. There needs to be regulation of solicitors and our entire law system must change.

The fact that an unwanted coalition Government is being formed contrary to the democratic wishes of the Irish people just shows the contempt being shown for the ordinary people. FG voters didn't vote for FF nor did FF vote for FG etc.

Between high taxes, corrupt councils and ridiculous regulations and the fact that law and order barely exists shows how fast we are rapidly deteriorating.

Exaggerate much? You think you lived in the Congo by the way you are going on. Have some perspective, dude.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Nozebleed wrote: »
    i just want to remind everyone..that Leo (and co.) made multiple statements celebrating and eulogizing George Floyd. Floyd was a multiple felon who once held a pregnant black woman at gunpoint. He broke into her home with a gang of men and pointed a gun at her pregnant stomach. He terrorized the women in his community. He sired and abandoned multiple children, playing no part in their support or upbringing, failing one of the most basic tests of decency for a human being. He was a drug-addict and sometime drug-dealer, a swindler who preyed upon his honest and hard-working neighbours.

So his words mean **** all when referring to the guard who was murdered ladt night.

That’s it, I’m done with boards for the day

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

Exaggerate much? You think you lived in the Congo by the way you are going on. Have some perspective, dude.

Parts of the inner cities are becoming similar to Somalia in terms of lawlessness. Mayo or Roscommon wouldn't be a crime hotspt in comparison. However if you rack up 10+ convictions you should be headed to hangman's nooses as far as I'm concerned. Drug Dealers should be excecuted, we need more prisons and also a clear out of many of who are inside by some mass executions. Some people don't deserve to be left live and why should they be allowed to inflict so much misery and hurt on other innocent people.

walshb wrote: »
    I am not with you......

Unless you are saying he was forced to go alone to a very volatile situation....?

And it was potentially very volatile....it's not like he would not have known the potential for danger. These scenarios where men and women are in bother and trouble will always raise the possibility of volatility...

Plus, the man involved was known to gardai as a danger...

Well do you think he chose to go alone?
    Every situation is possibly volatile.

bubblypop wrote: »
    Well do you think he chose to go alone?
    Every situation is possibly volatile.

That is what I was wondering...

I don't know...

But if he chose to go alone, or was made to go alone; that was wrong for this type of situation.......

When you take into account this particular scenario, with what we know, and what I believe he knew....the man who killed him had history.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

major bill wrote: »
    How do I not have a clue? i grew up in working class estates had me own dealings with the guards and know the level of scum free on the streets.

Anyone that uses a gun on a guard is a ****ing scumbag and no doubt isnt their first time on the wrong side of the law so take your opinion and **** off.

Clueless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

Very sad. I know when someone dies people say nice things, but in this case it's true. Colm Horkin was very well liked and respected. A gentleman. The suspect was known to the Gardai and when he is named in the media lots of questions will be raised about our court system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

Clueless.

Ok

Clueless.

You're failing miserably here to make any kind of coherent and intelligent point.

Show us something, for chrissake...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

I cant see it as a case of going out on his own because of no other Guards in the station to accompany him.
    Castlere station is well resourced because of the prison in the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,576 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

49 years old I read there just now.

I'm no fan of Varadkar but i though he gave a nice tribute to him, now he needs to follow up and give the Gardai the resources they need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

MY BAD wrote: »
    Very sad. I know when someone dies people say nice things, but in this case it's true. Colm Horkin was very well liked and respected. A gentleman. The suspect was known to the Gardai and when he is named in the media lots of questions will be raised about our court system.

And then quickly forgotten, sadly. We saw exactly the same thing with the murder of Garda Tony Golden.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Was he the poor man that died of a heart attack while out cycling?

Yes that was John McCallion.
    Even though a number of people who arrived on the scene performed CPR and a Defib was used it sadly wasn't enough.

I don't know how his parents coped losing both sons within a decade.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

RIP to the Guard involved, just shows how out of control Ireland is becoming, we are almost at the state where they might aswell disband the Guards because there is no justice or law and order. Scumbag judges and the entire legal profession who have turned us into this liberal softtouch on crime dump. There needs to be a massive clear out of the judiciary and all free legal aid etc must go. There needs to be regulation of solicitors and our entire law system must change.

The fact that an unwanted coalition Government is being formed contrary to the democratic wishes of the Irish people just shows the contempt being shown for the ordinary people. FG voters didn't vote for FF nor did FF vote for FG etc.

Between high taxes, corrupt councils and ridiculous regulations and the fact that law and order barely exists shows how fast we are rapidly deteriorating.

Ireland is still a very safe country by international standards.
    A coalition government is exactly what the people voted for since no party got an overall majority. Coalition is the only option.

Certainly reform in some areas is needed but we need to be realistic about the current state of affairs also. It is nowhere near what you described.

This incident is a tragedy but a Garda been killed is still a very rare occurrence in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Sparkey84

MY BAD wrote: »

clearly your are not in position to elaborate further but i infer from your post that the suspect will turn out to have had a violent past and probably have x amount of previous convictions.
    on top of a profound tragedy that's a bitter pill to swallow for loved ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

The Judges who let people with multiple convictions off with micky mouse sentences should be sued by the families of subsequent victims of the criminals.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭political analyst

It's not a question of him letting the suspect do it. He was taken by surprise.
    Also sometimes people are physically stronger than others and can over power them. From what I remember of the suspect he is a physically strong man.

But why kill a garda? The killer must have known that he would get 40 years imprisonment - even with remission he'll be behind bars for over 25 years.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

49 years old I read there just now.

I'm no fan of Varadkar but i though he gave a nice tribute to him, now he needs to follow up and give the Gardai the resources they need.

and the same Cnut will be pushing for cuts to resources and pay within the year

to people like him gardai nurses and others are expendable

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭mcgragger

I heard from a source that he used every round in the magazine. 15 shots.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

How does someone get a gun off of a supposedly trained person?

I'm willing bro hold off on the sympathy/assumptions until an honest and accurate report is issued.
    oh wait, that'll hardly happen.

I'm willing bro hold off on the sympathy/assumptions until an honest and accurate report is issued.

These things can happen, whether through negligence, carelessness or circumstances out of one's control

One would need to know all the facts...

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭GolfNut33

RTE reporting he was shoot 15 times with his own gun. Must have been a Glock, they hold 17 rounds. What the bloody hell happened there?

You’re willing to hold off on the sympathy?

Wtf is wrong with you?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 315 ✭✭coinop

In Cork recently a teenager was stabbed multiple times by another teenager. The injured teenager may lose an eye. His attacker is out on bail. What signal does this send out to scumbags?
    I'm with the long sentence brigade.

Uh oh...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,021 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

GolfNut33 wrote: »
    RTE reporting he was shoot 15 times with his own gun. Must have been a Glock, they hold 17 rounds. What the bloody hell happened there?

Gardai don't use Glocks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Parts of the inner cities are becoming similar to Somalia in terms of lawlessness. Mayo or Roscommon wouldn't be a crime hotspt in comparison. However if you rack up 10+ convictions you should be headed to hangman's nooses as far as I'm concerned. Drug Dealers should be excecuted, we need more prisons and also a clear out of many of who are inside by some mass executions. Some people don't deserve to be left live and why should they be allowed to inflict so much misery and hurt on other innocent people.

I think Saudi Arabia not Ireland is more your type of country..

Advertisement