Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Detective Garda Colm Horkan killed in Castlerea, Roscommon - [MOD WARNING POST #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

This is slightly off topic but I've wondered about this in the past.

Do all recruits get firearm training when going through Templemore or is this something that happens later if their career takes them in the direction of the areas that use guns?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,052 ✭✭✭✭neris

49 years old I read there just now.

I'm no fan of Varadkar but i though he gave a nice tribute to him, now he needs to follow up and give the Gardai the resources they need.

Give them the army as back up to start off with especially in some areas of Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

mcgragger wrote: »
    I heard from a source that he used every round in the magazine. 15 shots.

He must be disturbed if this is correct...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

This is slightly off topic but I've wondered about this in the past.

Do all recruits get firearm training when going through Templemore or is this something that happens later if their career takes them in the direction of the areas that use guns?

No its a specific course

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭mcgragger

GolfNut33 wrote: »
    RTE reporting he was shoot 15 times with his own gun. Must have been a Glock, they hold 17 rounds. What the bloody hell happened there?

yes its 15 rounds

Gardai are issued Sig Sauer semi's in this country

he was shot 15 times

• Advertisement

neris wrote: »
    Give them the army as back up to start off with especially in some areas of Dublin

They have the Army as backup its one of the main purposes of the Defence Forces, provide aid to the civil power.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,197 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

mcgragger wrote: »
    I heard from a source that he used every round in the magazine. 15 shots.

Indeed, and I think four of those shots actually hit the Garda. Or was he hit 15 times? Uncertain.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭mcgragger

It is correct.
    I know for a fact that the gun was emptied.
    I have no details on the man that did it

theguzman wrote: »
    Parts of the inner cities are becoming similar to Somalia in terms of lawlessness. Mayo or Roscommon wouldn't be a crime hotspt in comparison. However if you rack up 10+ convictions you should be headed to hangman's nooses as far as I'm concerned. Drug Dealers should be excecuted, we need more prisons and also a clear out of many of who are inside by some mass executions. Some people don't deserve to be left live and why should they be allowed to inflict so much misery and hurt on other innocent people.

maybe we can turn mount joy into the biggest gas chamber seen the 1940s.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,350 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

The person whose name I am hearing was involved was very mentally disturbed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,665 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Witnesses RTE interviewed said there was 5 shots, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,090 ✭✭✭✭flazio

There has to be some procedure cack up here somewhere. It seems crazy to me to leave a member of AGS on their own with a loaded weapon for any reason. How many times do we see the marked Audis, Beemers and Volvos tearing it down the motorways heading from scene to scene. You never see those cars with just the one occupant.

Rew wrote: »
    They have the Army as backup its one of the main purposes of the Defence Forces, provide aid to the civil power.

Well then they need to start using them. I know they had them yesterday at a raid in limerick but surely they can make more use of them

• Registered Users Posts: 14,806 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

flazio wrote: »
    There has to be some procedure cack up here somewhere. It seems crazy to me to leave a member of AGS on their own with a loaded weapon for any reason. How many times do we see the marked Audis, Beemers and Volvos tearing it down the motorways heading from scene to scene. You never see those cars with just the one occupant.

That's the Armed Support Unit, this Garda was not from the ASU.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,197 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Four shots, five shots, fifteen?

A confused picture at present.

Witnesses are not always reliable, modern broadcasting and rapid new cycle pushing out this stuff so quickly leads to confusion. RTE sent out a notification saying he was shot 15 times then put up a headline that he was shot at 15 times. This is stupidity by RTE in rushing things.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,534 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

It appears whatever number are in a magazine, as the News is reporting that the murderer emptied it.

neris wrote: »
    Well then they need to start using them. I know they had them yesterday at a raid in limerick but surely they can make more use of them

Policing in Ireland is by consent not by force, look at the ****show in the US. The Army are used sparingly for good reason

rossie1977 wrote: »
    The person whose name I am hearing was involved was very mentally disturbed.

Is the report saying that or are you from the area and know of the killer from before?

NIMAN wrote: »
    It appears whatever number are in a magazine, as the News is reporting that the murderer emptied it.

15 is the standard capacity of a 9mm Sig P226 thats issued to detective Gardai.

• Advertisement

No its a specific course

Okay. Is it an extra course they apply for at Templemore or something a Guard signs up later down the road?

mynamejeff wrote: »
    and the same Cnut will be pushing for cuts to resources and pay within the year

to people like him gardai nurses and others are expendable

The same could be said for most politicians and a lot of posters on here.

By most politicians, I include the likes of the NP etc whose shills on here want to make the garda's death a political issue.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,296 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Nozebleed wrote: »
    i just want to remind everyone..that Leo (and co.) made multiple statements celebrating and eulogizing George Floyd. Floyd was a multiple felon who once held a pregnant black woman at gunpoint. He broke into her home with a gang of men and pointed a gun at her pregnant stomach. He terrorized the women in his community. He sired and abandoned multiple children, playing no part in their support or upbringing, failing one of the most basic tests of decency for a human being. He was a drug-addict and sometime drug-dealer, a swindler who preyed upon his honest and hard-working neighbours.

So his words mean **** all when referring to the guard who was murdered ladt night.

Mod

What that has to do with this thread I don't know, do not post in here again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

15 is the standard capacity of a 9mm Sig P226 thats issued to detective Gardai.

One would have to wonder did this person know how to use a Sig giving the safety and the decocker, technically speaking there not as straight forward to use as a Glock. Tragic either way.

One would have to wonder did this person know how to use a Sig giving the safety and the decocker, technically speaking there not as straight forward to use as a Glock. Tragic either way.

Speculation wont help either way

• Registered Users Posts: 9,444 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

They've split up, big row in the camp apparently. She's poisonous to everything she touches.

He was an awful eejit to have anything to do with here. He's clearly a fruitcake now as well, but at one time he was a prominent journalist that would appear on TV all the time as an expert opinion maker type. Now he's just an eejit.

Okay. Is it an extra course they apply for at Templemore or something a Guard signs up later down the road?

Its a down the road course.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,806 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

There's no safety on a p226, if there's a round in the chamber it just needs a trigger pull even if the hammer is down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

It sounds morbid but maybe it was a good thing he emptied the magazine on his first victim and what would have stopped him murdering the two guards who subsequently arrested him if he had bullets left. We could be looking at 3 dead guards and a man hunt for a cop killer on the run right now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

Speculation wont help either way

No but this is an internet discussion forum.

Advertisement