Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Detective Garda Colm Horkan killed in Castlerea, Roscommon - [MOD WARNING POST #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 56,243 ✭✭✭✭walshb

elperello wrote: »
    Not on a routine patrol but they would have access to them.

Was thinking the same!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

walshb wrote: »
    Was thinking the same!
    Unfortunely in this case I don’t think a vest would have saved him .. I can’t imagine all 15 shots hit his torso.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Happy4all wrote: »
    Don't know, but we favour an unarmed police Force, and can't help but feel that If he was unarmed in this instance we wouldn't be talking about a death.

Unfortunately people will regardless of if they have a firearm or not ,
    Not so long ago we expected gardai to fight crime and handle dangerous people with nothing more than a wooden batten .
    We need better armed guards and more of them

• Registered Users Posts: 36,152 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Any news on who was responsible? Seems weird no details? What's with the media blackout

harr wrote: »
    Unfortunely in this case I don’t think a vest would have saved him .. I can’t imagine all 15 shots hit his torso.

He was only hit several times according to reports , vests only protect the central mass , you can still be fatally wounded wearing one ,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Any news on who was responsible? Seems weird no details? What's with the media blackout

A local person with mental issues known to many in the town and surrounding areas.

There is no blackout.
    Media have said there is a man in his 40s in custody having been arrested after the incident.
    Investigations are ongoing. Should the man be charged & brought to court it will be reported then.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Happy4all wrote: »
    Don't know, but we favour an unarmed police Force, and can't help but feel that If he was unarmed in this instance we wouldn't be talking about a death.

If he had drawn his gun, then we might have had a different death.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,543 ✭✭✭LeBash

Isn't it Norway that could only give a mass murderer a sentence of 21 years?

Not a great system there IMO to give as an example.

Thats the the 1 in a 1 million example to take. Also the law on sentence and a prison rehab are 2 different things.

The system has been proven to rehabilitate people. They have a tiny rate of people who offend again.

I heard that it doesn't pass some human rights charter in the EU but that could be bull plop.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,429 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭glenfieldman

I cant wait to see how many people march for this innocent man that was killed doing his job

harr wrote: »

Indeed.

But I don’t believe it has been confirmed how many shots/bullets hit the deceased..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭shaveAbullock

Indeed.

But I don’t believe it has been confirmed how many shots/bullets hit the deceased..

4 hit is what has been reported.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,154 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

RIP to Det. Garda Horkan, senseless loss of life.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

First thing that came to mind is that during the struggle his gun fell on the ground and then the perpetrator took it

He had only been a detective 3 weeks ago..

I wonder if the lack of detective experience was at all a factor?

Hey, could happen to anyone, of course.

In the U.S. only 4 single cases in 2018 of this happening...

He had only been a detective 3 weeks ago..

I wonder if the lack of detective experience was at all a factor?

He was coming up on 25 years as serving Garda it's hardly inexperience

Gatling wrote: »
    He was coming up on 25 years as serving Garda it's hardly inexperience

Detective...

3 weeks a detective...

It is a different role..

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Rmgblue

Detective...

3 weeks a detective...

It is a different role..

Years, 3 years. It's a different title. He was more than experienced

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Far too much pointless speculation here.

• Advertisement

Rmgblue wrote: »
    Years, 3 years. It's a different title. He was more than experienced

Ok, three years.

Barry Cummins on Primetime said 3 weeks..

Witcher wrote: »
    He would have been years working with the DDU as an unappointed detective carrying a gun before being 'appointed' and getting the detective title. You don't go from working the Regular straight to being an appointed detective.

I know this. All the training and preparation ...

Just kind of the official 3 weeks into it.

Anyway, now being reported as 3 years..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭shaveAbullock

Its a bit suspicious that every political party and institution have commiserated in the media except Pavee Point

How did you even notice this?
    People need to stop trying to make this tragedy fit whatever agenda they have.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,838 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I would say because the mudering scumbag was a taveller that was beating the **** out of his wife

He is not a traveller. He is not married either.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Sparkey84

Its a bit suspicious that every political party and institution have commiserated in the media except Pavee Point

i assumed at first it would be a hardened criminal with numerous previous convictions. now it looks as though it may be a mental health or behavioural emergency issue. either way the background of the person is of little relevance. this is about a tragedy that became one individual not a political or cultural divide

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭MeMen2_MoRi_

When did pavee point become a political party? How many seats did they run/win in the last election..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭glenfieldman

When did pavee point become a political party? How many seats did they run/win in the last election..

Where did I say Pavee Point are a political party ?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I cant wait to see how many people march for this innocent man that was killed doing his job

Hes a white man , doesn't matter. It's not cool to be seen mentioning them and their privilege on social media....

Wonder what excuse the judge might come out with " disadvantaged background " etc , the usual ****. The problem is the judges living a world apart from this scum... on top of the legal gravy train, choo, chooop!

Explains why fg have been a farce on" law and order " huge amounts of money to be made , with endless repeat offenders....

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Timmyr

He is not a traveller. He is not married either.

RIP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Sparkey84

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Hes a white man , doesn't matter. It's not cool to be seen mentioning them and their privilege on social media....

WTF????

this is not about george floyd lads nor is it a race thing afaik, the man your talking about was a real person and should not be a social media pawn

Advertisement