Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Detective Garda Colm Horkan killed in Castlerea, Roscommon - [MOD WARNING POST #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Timmyr wrote: »
    correct, but he is nuts

Unfortunately I know both the victim and the shooter, sad day

Whatever he is, let’s hope he is removed from society for many many years..

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭lillielad

For anyone who bothered to check Twitter, this tweet clearly had nothing to do with the shooting (unless some Tweet(s) from her have been deleted in the meantime?).

I know nothing about the lady in question. Nor do I care. But the post showing her out-of-context tweet seems like a nasty misrepresentation to me.

I don't want to derail the thread but look at that bitch's most recent tweets...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭shaveAbullock

I cant wait to see how many people march for this innocent man that was killed doing his job

From a small community hundreds attended the vigil today.
    What on earth do you want people to march for?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

walshb wrote: »
    Would detectives on duty wear bullet proof vests?

Yup, and usually from the cheapest provider. Plus, they're ballistic vests, so are only effective against certain types of ammunition from certain distances, ie: up close it's not as effective. Unlike a very heavy, cumbersome vests which would stop more, but are not as operationally suitable.

It's pure speculation though. A shot to the leg or arm can cause death, and the vest only covers part of your torso.

I was a serving Garda when D/Garda Donohue was killed, and even though I was stationed far away and didn't know the man, it affected me. It affected all Gardai, because it was just another day, like yesterday. No Garda in the course of normal duties expects this, unlike America where they (rightly) think they can be shot at any time.

Another tragedy. My condolences to the immediate and Garda families of D/Garda Horkan. It will definitely lead to changes as to how armed Gardai are to patrol, and I can't see an armed member being allowed to patrol by themselves after this.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,743 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Timmyr wrote: »
    correct, but he is nuts

Unfortunately I know both the victim and the shooter, sad day

It's very tough on you. Sorry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,743 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Hes a white man , doesn't matter. It's not cool to be seen mentioning them and their privilege on social media....

If you went to the towns of Castlerea and Charlestown you might reconsider your view. Lots of people have been paying their respects to the deceased since it happened, and many more will do so over the coming days. His death very much matters to people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭glenfieldman

Sparkey84 wrote: »
    WTF????

this is not about george floyd lads nor is it a race thing afaik, the man your talking about was a real person and should not be a social media pawn

Christ you guy pick and choose your causes day by day
    What does that mean he was a real person ?

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Mwengwe

From a small community hundreds attended the vigil today.
    What on earth do you want people to march for?

Re-instatement of the dEaTH pEnALty! probably

• Registered Users Posts: 15,953 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Strumms wrote: »
    Big questions need to be asked alright about the Garda working alone.

However, Mary Lou is the leader of a ‘political party’ and movement who defended and celebrated the murder and the killers of Gardai in this state and actively campaigned for their early release, so neither she nor anyone in her party or indeed supporters have a flicker of credibility as relates to this discussion...

With due respect and sympathy to the deceased Det Garda and his family, and May he rest in peace, you have nailed it there re SF and the current puppet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Last few pages are a ****ing car crash. Serious lack of cop on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,953 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Last few pages are a ****ing car crash. Serious lack of cop on.

Enlighten us oh wise one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Hes a white man , doesn't matter. It's not cool to be seen mentioning them and their privilege on social media....

Wonder what excuse the judge might come out with " disadvantaged background " etc , the usual ****. The problem is the judges living a world apart from this scum... on top of the legal gravy train, choo, chooop!

Explains why fg have been a farce on" law and order " huge amounts of money to be made , with endless repeat offenders....

This has nothing to do with race or white privilege or any of that stuff.
    But some still insist on using this tragedy to peddle their own personal politics on race.
    Do they have no respect for the dead man at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,350 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Its a tragic situation but again highlights the lack of mental health facilities in this part of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,665 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Insanity plea I reckon.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

joe40 wrote: »
    This has nothing to do with race or white privilege or any of that stuff.
    But some still insist on using this tragedy to peddle their own personal politics on race.
    Do they have no respect for the dead man at all.

I think it's a valid thing to ponder, how many of the people who took to the streets over the death of a convicted criminal in a foreign country will bother their holes to come out for man who was murdered on duty in this country?

Very few, if any, of the same people. Don't you find that interesting and sad?

rossie1977 wrote: »
    Its a tragic situation but again highlights the lack of mental health facilities in this part of the country.

I was waiting for this to come up..

World is mental about metal health

So ridiculously overused to explain evil and nasty acts by evil and nasty people..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

I didn't even realise the Gardaí had guns in their normal line of duty.

I think it's a valid thing to ponder, how many of the people who took to the streets over the death of a convicted criminal in a foreign country will bother their holes to come out for man who was murdered on duty in this country?

Interesting, sad, but very very normal.

World is full of phoney assholes!!!!

s1ippy wrote: »
    I didn't even realise the Gardaí had guns in their normal line of duty.

Only a percentage of them do. Minority!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,819 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Not really surprising. Many on the left hate the Gardai.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,329 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

So ridiculously overused to explain evil and nasty acts by evil and nasty people..

100%... mental health is a line trotted out now to excuse and pass off every bit of terrible behavior, nastiness and evil going...

I’m fûcking sick of it. These ‘advocates’ are chomping at the bit now to let people away quite literally with murder and everything and anything....

Insanity plea I reckon.

Yep. Few psychiatrists visits, wee stay in the nut house, some meds, and off ya go, son.............fingers crossed for fooking everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,436 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

i'd say 'evil' is just as much overused, if not moreso

This is a tragedy, but what would the point of a protest be.
    I have faith that the crime will be investigated and suspects will go to court and get a fair trial.

This event is a tragedy for the country, the Gardai, but most of all for the Guards family.

His death and memory will be commemorated in a fitting manner.

100%... mental health is a line trotted out now to excuse and pass off every bit of terrible behavior, nastiness and evil going...

I’m fûcking sick of it.

Society has gone from nobody speaking about it to people clamouring for attention to tell their stories on it...Weird!

i'd say 'evil' is just as much overused, if not moreso

Yes. And it accurately describes the acts that these people commit..

Wicked acts..acts of evil.

I’m fûcking sick of it. These ‘advocates’ are chomping at the bit now to let people away quite literally with murder and everything and anything....

Such as?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Mental health is a serious issue that nobody will tackle.

Many mental institute were closed and you can see these people walking the streets, they need help and for their safety and others they shouldn't be out.

If anyone wants change then we all need to fight those on power for change, email every politicians they can find.

There are numerous in Dublin city centre that are for the birds.

There is at least 2 that randomly jump in front of buses, others jump at people, one I see regularly picks up stuff like dirt or grass and throws it at people, shouts at them then talks to the sky and is very dramatic.

This is another thing you see people saying oh they shot an unarmed suspect, yeah that's right, because I as a normal decent human being can see it was either they were picked up in a bag or the suspect.

It's shocking how little what's the word, but how low a life really is when it comes to hard working and decent society..... Life seems to be only worth a few quid....

Im honestly worried how society is going and willing to accept these types of murders....

Seems to me criminals are better cared for to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

White man kills white man, and all some identity politics obsessed people can think of is how to try and make it a race issue.

By all accounts he was a good police officer and person (some extended family members knew him vaguely from a while back), a truly horrible thing to happen and hopefully his family are well supported through this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

White man kills white man, and all some identity politics obsessed people can think of is how to try and make it a race issue.

By all accounts he was a good police officer and person (some extended family members knew him vaguely from a while back), a truly horrible thing to happen and hopefully his family are well supported through this.

BLM is a farce. It has no place here or in Ireland.

This is a tragedy and we need much better law's and that they are actually implemented.

Advertisement