Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Detective Garda Colm Horkan killed in Castlerea, Roscommon - [MOD WARNING POST #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,350 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

walshb wrote: »
    I was waiting for this to come up..

World is mental about metal health

So ridiculously overused to explain evil and nasty acts by evil and nasty people..

This one has already come up..

Its well known the guy had mental health issues. The lack of facilities for people like him and many others in the area has seen tragedy after tragedy befalling the town over the past decade.

Its only a few months the town made national headlines when a well known woman took her own life after attempting the exact same thing in the exact same place only a few years earlier.

Any day of the week you will see a number mentally disturbed people walking the streets of Castlerea.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Sparkey84

Christ you guy pick and choose your causes day by day
    What does that mean he was a real person ?

i don't know what the day by day comment is supposed to mean? in relation to the real person comment it means he should be treated with respect and dignity and not as ammunition for peddling your views. you have already taken digs at George floyd and travellers. both important issues to you I'm sure but this tread is not about you.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,730 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Society has gone from nobody speaking about it to people clamouring for attention to tell their stories on it...Weird!

Bressie should be along any minute to tell us all about it.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭mobby

Can you imagine if Detective Garda Colm Horkan had somehow managed to retrieve his firearm and shoot pal dead instead, can you just imagine that? Boards and all the rest of social media would go into meltdown with the usual left anti Garda agenda, the usual rent a mobs would be holding protests in City's and towns of the land. However that is not the case and Detective Garda Colm Horkan is now dead having been murdered by a scumbag. Rest In Peace Colm.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I think it's a valid thing to ponder, how many of the people who took to the streets over the death of a convicted criminal in a foreign country will bother their holes to come out for man who was murdered on duty in this country?

Very few, if any, of the same people. Don't you find that interesting and sad?

A man murdered on duty and failed by the state! Dont ask the sheep here to think though , they get their " news " from rte! Lol !

I'm sure Varadkar came out with his token gesture bull**** , what has big mouth himself done during nearly a decade in power and several years of a boom? Anything on law and order? Didnt think so!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,329 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Society has gone from nobody speaking about it to people clamouring for attention to tell their stories on it...Weird!

For the law to be effective it needs to be a deterrent...

If I’m taking cash out of an ATM tomorrow, guy behind me is eyeing me up as he wants cash for a new scooter or moped, decides to put a knife up to my neck... just before he does he’s thinking... “if this goes wrong, I’ll end up inside for 3 months, save up enough money for the moped, if it goes right the moped is mine tomorrow!”..

Me in defending myself am convinced I’m going to die, I just about overpower him get the knife as he fights back, he gets stabbed and dies.. manslaughter or self defense ? It’s both but should I end up with a conviction?

I’m convinced on him producing a deadly weapon he has every intention of using it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Timmyr wrote: »
    hes been named now, Stephen Silver

Is he a local man?
    I'm not looking for information not in the public domain.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Timmyr

joe40 wrote: »
    Is he a local man?

He is

Strumms wrote: »

If I’m taking cash out of an ATM tomorrow, guy behind me is eyeing me up as he wants cash for a new scooter or moped, decides to put a knife up to my neck... just before he does he’s thinking... “if this goes wrong, I’ll end up inside for 3 months, save up enough money for the moped, if it goes right the moped is mine tomorrow!”..

Me in defending myself am convinced I’m going to die, I just about overpower him get the knife as he fights back, he gets stabbed and dies.. manslaughter or self defense ? It’s both but should I end up with a conviction?

I’m convinced on him producing a deadly weapon he has every intention of using it

Would that not be straight up self defence.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Timmyr wrote: »
    He is

Google his name and hit the news tab...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,730 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

mobby wrote: »
    Can you imagine if Detective Garda Colm Horkan had somehow managed to retrieve his firearm and shoot pal dead instead, can you just imagine that? Boards and all the rest of social media would go into meltdown with the usual left anti Garda agenda, the usual rent a mobs would be holding protests in City's and towns of the land. However that is not the case and Detective Garda Colm Horkan is now dead having been murdered by a scumbag. Rest In Peace Colm.

Sadly everything you said there is true and there would be people hoping the dead person was part of some minority group.

Glazers Out!

Would that not be straight up self defence.

I hope but nowadays you’d probably have some solicitor trying to convince a member of ‘our’ brain dead judiciary that it could have been avoided had I handed all of my hard earned money to him and permit him to walk away.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,806 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Why would you bother fighting someone who has produced a knife for the sake of a couple of hundred Euro? Give it to him and he may be caught later...otherwise one of you may get a knife stuck in them. Pointless for a few Euro.

Presumably you have a family...would they want you being a hero for a few quid? If it was your child even...what would you pay to have them not be stabbed. 'It's my money' me bollocks...you can make more..how much is your life worth?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

Is he a local man?

Some more details here about it.

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/crime/garda-colm-horkan-murder-suspect-22216895

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

Is he a local man?

It is in the public domain google and you’ll see an article local but only recently returned from UK ! A number of minor convictions and some mental issues!

Witcher wrote: »
    Why would you bother fighting someone who has produced a knife for the sake of a couple of hundred Euro? Give it to him and he may be caught later...otherwise one of you may get a knife stuck in them. Pointless for a few Euro.

Presumably you have a family...would they want you being a hero for a few quid?

No but in a situation like that you can’t 100% guarantee how you’d react, maybe he takes the cash and you get stabbed so he can make a getaway, his decision making might be impaired by alcohol, drugs or psychological problems...self defense if it can be administered might just be the safest thing,

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Pronto63

Contributor on Primetime this evening said that 10% of US cops that are killed by firearms are killed with their own firearm or that belonging to another police officer.

That call it a “takeaway homicide”. Not sure I like the name.

RIP Det Gda - Duty done

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Citizen2011

It’s worth considering how hesitant Gda. Horkan or any Garda will be in the future to use lethal force when faced with a lethal threat? And that’s the media and the attention seeking woke virtual signallers that we have to thank for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,806 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

No but in a situation like that you can’t 100% guarantee how you’d react, maybe he takes the cash and you get stabbed so he can make a getaway, his decision making might be impaired by alcohol, drugs or psychological problems...self defense if it can be administered might just be the safest thing,

Give him the cash and wait for his reaction, if he goes for you well then the choice has been made for you. But to hold onto the cash and struggle with him for it is ****ing stupid.

In the former you're defending your life, in the latter your cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

BLM is a farce. It has no place here or in Ireland.

This is a tragedy and we need much better law's and that they are actually implemented.

Good for you and your agenda, but that has f*ck all to do with a well respected man being killed by someone reputed to have notable mental health issuesm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

I think it's a valid thing to ponder, how many of the people who took to the streets over the death of a convicted criminal in a foreign country will bother their holes to come out for man who was murdered on duty in this country?

They were protesting systemic racism you gimp.
    Are the Gardai systemically oppressed? No. Is George Floyd and racism relevant to this tragedy? No. He will be honoured by the Gardai and his family in the appropriate way.

State of people in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Pronto63

Contributor on Primetime this evening said that 10% of US cops that are killed by firearms are killed with their own firearm or that belonging to another police officer.

That call it a “takeaway homicide”. Not sure I like the name.

RIP Det Gda - Duty done

• Registered Users Posts: 3,197 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

I read in one of the online reports this evening that the suspected killer had recently returned from the United Kingdom!

Not sure why that's mentioned or what it might have to do with anything related to this tragedy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭cunnifferous

mobby wrote: »

Lol what!? You have some serious imaginary grievances. Why can't you just post your respects without having using it as prop to push your agenda

It’s worth considering how hesitant Gda. Horkan or any Garda will be in the future to use lethal force when faced with a lethal threat? And that’s the media and the attention seeking woke virtual signallers that we have to thank for that.

Our Guards are always very hesitant to use deadly force, that is why they enjoy the support of the vast vast majority of the country.
    That is how they have always operated.

Why would you not want them to only use deadly force as a last resort?

J Mysterio wrote: »
    They were protesting systemic racism you gimp.
    Are the Gardai systemically oppressed? No. Is George Floyd and racism relevant to this tragedy? No. He will be honoured by the Gardai and his family in the appropriate way.

State of people in this thread.

Indeed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭irishproduce

The current protests by the groups engaging in it have less to do with justice for black lives etc and more to do with being anti authority and unhappy with the current way of things.

Lol what!? You have some serious imaginary grievances. Why can't you just post your respects without having using it as prop to push your agenda

And what agenda would that be?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Good for you and your agenda, but that has f*ck all to do with a well respected man being killed by someone reputed to have notable mental health issuesm

Wait a minute I just said it has nothing to do with it.....

Are you fully with it....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

The Gardai are rightly well respected in this country by many people; including I'm sure the vast majority of those who are interested in and support some of the protesting that's happening in the USA.

The irony is that the majority of people in this thread who are trying to politicise this are those who appear to be critical of "the left" and the protests happening in the USA; nobody else is suggesting anything other than support for our Gardai and Detective Garda Colm Horkan.

Some people could really do with trying to take a balanced approach to things and not just jump immediately to hyperbole and topics which have nothing to do with the senseless tragedy which unfolded last night.

Advertisement