Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Detective Garda Colm Horkan killed in Castlerea, Roscommon - [MOD WARNING POST #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 86,256 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

NIMAN wrote: »
    Murder of a guard should mean life in jail, you're never getting out.

May this poor man RIP, so sad for his family, to go to work and not come home.

Life should mean Life for any murder, the justice system in Ireland needs reform

RIP Detective Garda Colm Horkan

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Life should mean Life for any murder, the justice system in Ireland needs reform

Yes.... 110%>

This business of ah sure good behaviour we must let them out early and then it turns out ah sure he'll let them out early anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,730 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Any justice system that allows someone like Graham Dwyer to appeal his conviction on a technicality needs an overhaul.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,329 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

joe40 wrote: »
    Would that not be straight up self defence.

I’d hope, for not just my sake but anyone in that grim position..

Though we’ll have somebody along in a minute telling us that i should have let him kill me and as I lay dying summon the energy to find some change so he can go buy himself a fûcking cornetto #mentalhealthmatters

• Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Mod: The whataboutery is strong in this thread. Apparently my last two mod warnings weren't clear enough, so considering a man has died in what seems to be very tragic circumstances for all involved, the next person who decides to make it a race or traveller issue when there is NO evidence to even remotely support that, or engages in some stupid whataboutery along the lines of "what if the Garda shot first/what if the guard/attacker was black" is going to find themselves thread banned and/or forum banned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86,256 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

s1ippy wrote: »
    I didn't even realise the Gardaí had guns in their normal line of duty.

I didn't either :o I also didn't realise detectives went out solo to domestic intoxication local disturbances etc.,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

R.I.P Garda Horkan

I have watched some grim very sad documentaries on prisons on prisoners and in general crime documentaries about life in jail. And I've come to the conclusion that not everyone who commits murder should serve life in prison....or in some countries be sentenced to death.
    There is a lot of very nice, decent people spending the rest of their lifes in jail for one crazy, stupid, unexplainable mistake.. wether it be through drink, pressure, drugs etc etc they killed somebody,. It just can't be as clear cut as what you and admidedly lots of other people feel/think.
    Of course if it was a family member,I would probably think differently,.but you get what I'm saying?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

R.I.P Garda Horkan

I have watched some grim very sad documentaries on prisons on prisoners and in general crime documentaries about life in jail. And I've come to the conclusion that not everyone who commits murder should serve life in prison....or in some countries be sentenced to death.
    There is a lot of very nice, decent people spending the rest of their lifes in jail for one crazy, stupid, unexplainable mistake.. wether it be through drink, pressure, drugs etc etc they killed somebody,. It just can't be as clear cut as what you and admidedly lots of other people feel/think.
    Of course if it was a family member,I would probably think differently,.but you get what I'm saying?

Completely agree, reminds me of the recent release of a guy who murdered his teenage girlfriend about 20 years ago. I seen some pictures of him online where journalists where confronting him at his new workplace after his release. Basically harassment.

Knew the guy pretty well at the time, myself and others were stunned with what happened, completely out if character for the guy, was actually whiter than white in a rather rough area.

I’d be fairly certain the guy will never come to the attention of authorities for the rest of his life, if prison hasn’t affected him too much. The crime he committed was heinous, but I do think the harassment was completely out of line by journalists. Murderers are only released if they are believed not to be a threat to society, and on license can be returned to prison for even petty incidents.

Remission is a necessary part of the prison system, even for murderers.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭2forjoy

With mental health issues , ss won't show any remorse. Typical to hear he's doing press ups in custody. It's him putting up two fingers at the law.
    Garda need to work in units of two at all times.

2forjoy wrote: »
    With mental health issues , ss won't show any remorse. Typical to hear he's doing press ups in custody. It's him putting up two fingers at the law.
    Garda need to work in units of two at all times.

Not sure how you reach the conclusion that pressups imply sticking 2 fingers up at the law.

Most likely he is highly strung, as is the case with some mental illnesses.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭Chicoso

There's been an awful lot of murders committed by mentally ill people, paranoid schizophrenics etc

Is it fair to say this is the price we're paying for care in the community

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

With due respect and sympathy to the deceased Det Garda and his family, and May he rest in peace, you have nailed it there re SF and the current puppet.

You’re a disgrace politicising the death of this Garda and bringing any political party into it. Shameless you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭Field east

Mr. Karate wrote: »
    Neither Leo or anyone in the main parties has the political will to do that.

Would I be right in saying that you have a hidden agenda here? What are you on about. Using this example - as you are- its like cracking a monkey nut with your standard sledge hammer. The presence on another garda would have lead to a very different outcome - no need to bring out the army or for that matter the garda armed special response force.
    You are apparently not aware of the backup the army gave the garda in Tipp , Clare and Limerick in arresting 9 individuals re criminal activity.

Are you a TRUMP follower, by any chance - calling out the US army to control peaceful marchers in the main

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

R.I.P Garda Horkan

begbysback wrote: »
    Completely agree, reminds me of the recent release of a guy who murdered his teenage girlfriend about 20 years ago. I seen some pictures of him online where journalists where confronting him at his new workplace after his release. Basically harassment.

Knew the guy pretty well at the time, myself and others were stunned with what happened, completely out if character for the guy, was actually whiter than white in a rather rough area.

I’d be fairly certain the guy will never come to the attention of authorities for the rest of his life, if prison hasn’t affected him too much. The crime he committed was heinous, but I do think the harassment was completely out of line by journalists. Murderers are only released if they are believed not to be a threat to society, and on license can be returned to prison for even petty incidents.

Bit soon for the craw thumping about poor misguided murderers. Just over 24 hours since this man was shockingly gunned down in cold blood. There will be plenty of time at a future date for bleeding hearts to practise apprentice criminology and mull over the sad plight of murderers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

Gruffalox wrote:
    Bit soon for the craw thumping about poor misguided murderers. Just over 24 hours since this man was shockingly gunned down in cold blood. There will be plenty of time at a future date for bleeding hearts to practise apprentice criminology and mull over the sad plight of murderers.

Nobody really knows exactly what happened yet.

Gruffalox wrote: »

This is a discussion forum, the Lord Mayor has opened a book of condolences, maybe that’s what you’re looking for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

thegills wrote: »
    Nobody really knows exactly what happened yet.

It is still too soon.
    No family member is going to want to hear that the sympathies for the murderer have already started no matter how mentally unwell he may be. Felt the same when immediately after Hawe murdered his family people were talking about mental health issues. Let the slain rest in peace for a while before that sort of stuff commences.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Fann Linn wrote: »
    You're easily upset. Not really the thread for political commentary but if it were me I'd be more upset by FG/FF cuts which left a Garda out on his own, and not for the first time either. Wasn't Garda O Donohue in Louth left in the same position as well as that other Garda that was murdered outside the Credit Union. Take your whinging and SF bashing over to the usual threads where yourself, Blanch, Francie and the rest of the lads can play with each other.

Nsh. Lots of lone working.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

begbysback wrote: »

Shouldn't be.
    You take a life, you should do life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

Drugs are causing many people in Irish society to go from normal middle of the road people to paranoid , aggressive , unstable individuals . There’s a few individuals in every town and village who’s brains are burnt from drug use thanks to moral less drug dealers . No guards , equally moral less free legal aid solicitors , soft judges and no prison space complete the problem .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,172 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

I knew this character was significantly, shall we say, bothered, as soon as I heard he'd fired all fifteen rounds that the pistol was carrying. That was a frenzy, especially given that only four of those hit the unfortunate Garda. Apparently the same individual had been brought to Castlerea Garda station the previous day, and released - maybe they were trying to section him? None of it made a jot of sense from the get-go. Maybe those holsters need some rethinking to make it more difficult for the unauthorized to get the guns out. Anyhow, it's a dreadful, dreadful business.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,544 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Gruffalox wrote: »

It's already started, someone in the comments section of an article about this called him 'a poor misguided soul let down by everyone'.

She might have a different view it was a member of her family who was shot.

This guy should never see the light of day again.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Yes, poor misguided soul should be banged up for the rest of his poor misguided life.

It's already started, someone in the comments section of an article about this called him 'a poor misguided soul let down by everyone'.

She might have a different view it was a member of her family who was shot.

This guy should never see the light of day again.

Would agree that the consequences of his actions should be on the harsher end of the scale, would also have sympathy for the person with mental illness, you can have both at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Putting someone with a severe mental illness into the general prison system does nobody any favours. You're putting everyone in danger, including prison officers, other prisoners and the individual themselves.

Someone who is a danger to the public obviously needs isolation, but it must be appropriate to their needs regardless of what they may have done while in public.

I have no idea what kind of provision we have here for long-term secure mental health facilities, but given our past record I expect it's nothing to be proud of.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,547 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Lot of speculation online. I was going to post one of the more startling allegations but I’ve no proof so I won’t be posting it -

seamus wrote: »
    Putting someone with a severe mental illness into the general prison system does nobody any favours. You're putting everyone in danger, including prison officers, other prisoners and the individual themselves.

Someone who is a danger to the public obviously needs isolation, but it must be appropriate to their needs regardless of what they may have done while in public.

I have no idea what kind of provision we have here for long-term secure mental health facilities, but given our past record I expect it's nothing to be proud of.

If he is confirmed and diagnosed as having a mental health illness then put him somewhere where he can never cause harm to anyone again....Of course, he will need human interaction wherever he is. That is life.....but never is able to harm any member of the public again....and if he is a threat in the place we hold him, then make sure he is properly restrained to protect everyone.

And no, never release....even if he is "feeling much better now, thank you."

• Registered Users Posts: 11,573 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Chicoso wrote: »
    There's been an awful lot of murders committed by mentally ill people, paranoid schizophrenics etc

Is it fair to say this is the price we're paying for care in the community

It's not a new phenomenon, there were four people killed in my local hospital in the space of four months back in the late 80s, (one a double murder, the other a murder-suicide).

https://www.pressreader.com/ireland/the-sligo-champion/20080917/282205121694813

A lot of murder cases tend to slide from the public consciousness pretty quickly, apart from a couple of either high-profile (eg Veronica Guerin) or particularly gruesome (eg Graham Dwyer/Elaine O'Hara) cases.

Mwengwe wrote: »
    Not really sure why you're referencing cases that have nothing at all to do with severe mental illness.

Yes, but this is the big big problem now.

People wanting to use mental health (whatever the fook that means in many cases) as an excuse for nearly any heinous crime...

"Ah, sure the mental health flared up. What was I to do?"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Unfortunately this is what happens with care in the community. People who would have previously been in an appropriate facility can't look after themselves while living in the community and get embroiled in the normal criminal justice system, often over petty nonsense.

We just don't have sufficient facilities anymore due to care in the community.

Our past record is still much better than the current provision, which is to generally to leave them in the community and free to murder people whenever they're having a bad day.

Advertisement