Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Detective Garda Colm Horkan killed in Castlerea, Roscommon - [MOD WARNING POST #1]

Options

Comments

jimgoose wrote: »
    No-one in their right mind is going to decide to take a detective's gun and empty it in his direction on the main street of Castlerea on a perfectly unremarkable evening for the craic, as part of some grand plan, the Illuminati, loyalty to Jeff Bezos, or for any reason other than being out of his mind.

the very definition of carte blanche

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

LuasSimon wrote: »
    I don’t drink so your wrong there but in recent years I have seen far more people fcuk up their lives with cocaine or hash than alcohol . To be honest from what I see there’s less and less people drinking and sadly more and more burning their brains out with drugs .

I work in a hospital, there are far more people fcuked up with alcohol.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,172 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

the very definition of carte blanche

No thank you, I've had lunch. The only point I'm trying to make is that nothing about this instance flows from any sort of logic or reason whatsoever, my opinion is that it was surely the act of an insane person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭na1

Chiparus wrote: »

recovering alcoholics were never referred as an excuse in courts.
    But I've heard many cases when public aid solicitors referring to their clients as a recovering drug addicts, which suppose to give them some sort of favor.

I don't know if it is considered as an excuse in courts?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Chiparus wrote: »

Of course there will be

It is far far far more available to people than illegal drugs are....

It's a legal substance...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,806 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

rossie1977 wrote: »
    There is a fairly large garda station 5 minutes walk away yes which does beg the question. There will have been at least half a dozen Gardaí on the job even at 12am

They would more than likely have been uniformed members.

jimgoose wrote: »
    No thank you, I've had lunch. The only point I'm trying to make is that nothing about this instance flows from any sort of logic or reason whatsoever, my opinion is that it was surely the act of an insane person.

i know what you're saying, but again i can only say thats a total blank cheque

it covers everything, nobody is ever responsible for themselves

cant get on board at all with it

• Registered Users Posts: 20,172 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

i know what you're saying, but again i can only say thats a total blank cheque

it covers everything, nobody is ever responsible for themselves

cant get on board at all with it

That's not what I'm saying at all! I'm only saying that in my opinion, a person who's response to being casually questioned by a passing detective at around midnight in Castlerea on a quiet Wednesday, is to take the officer's Sig Sauer and empty it - all fifteen 9mm rounds - at him, killing him, is not a rational person, rather, they are completely window-licking Mott the Hoople.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

You are seeing a very unusual sight then.

Alcohol is far more dangerous.

The drugs vs alcohol debate is as relevant as Oasis or Blur at this stage.

It's not either or any more as poly-drug use is the most problematic behaviour.

What that means is people drinking till it's coming out their ears, taking bag and pills to stay up, and then using downers to come down easy; as well as tonnes of weed in their day to day.

I support decriminalisation but pretending excessive Cannabis use isn't associated with serious mental health problems is as silly as pretending the alcohol abuse endemic in Irish society is a lesser problem than drugs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭mouldybiscuits

I don’t drink so your wrong there but in recent years I have seen far more people fcuk up their lives with cocaine or hash than alcohol . To be honest from what I see there’s less and less people drinking and sadly more and more burning their brains out with drugs .

Strongly disagree. Alcohol causes more addiction, more social problems, more injuries and more death than all the illegal drugs combined. It's the most harmful drug in the world in my opinion. Drink drivers, drunk parents hitting kids, drunkenly cheating on partners, main factor in majority of assaults, significant factor in obesity, the list goes on, not to mention the addictive profile where withdrawal can even be fatal. Alcohol is a hard drug and I would certainly recommend someone to choose cannabis over drinking, the former being proven in studies to be one of the least harmful recreational drugs in existence right after magic mushrooms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭jucko

Strongly disagree. Alcohol causes more addiction, more social problems, more injuries and more death than all the illegal drugs combined. It's the most harmful drug in the world in my opinion. Drink drivers, drunk parents hitting kids, drunkenly cheating on partners, main factor in majority of assaults, significant factor in obesity, the list goes on, not to mention the addictive profile where withdrawal can even be fatal. Alcohol is a hard drug and I would certainly recommend someone to choose cannabis over drinking, the former being proven in studies to be one of the least harmful recreational drugs in existence right after magic mushrooms.

magic mushrooms? you've obviously never had a pot of strong mushroom tea.... terrifying

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

jucko wrote: »
    magic mushrooms? you've obviously never had a pot of strong mushroom tea.... terrifying

It was great when Magic Mushrooms were legal for a few years.
    Used responsibly they were quite mild and safe.
    The problem is once something hits a mass audience you'll get plenty of people who'll overdo them, mix them with tons of booze and all the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    It was great when Magic Mushrooms were legal for a few years.
    Used responsibly they were quite mild and safe.
    The problem is once something hits a mass audience you'll get plenty of people who'll overdo them, mix them with tons of booze and all the rest.
    A lad dove out the window of an apartment block in dun laoghaire and that was the end of the shrooms

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

A lad dove out the window of an apartment block in dun laoghaire and that was the end of the shrooms

But not bottles of Heineken, of which he had drank many.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Lemsiper

jucko wrote: »

Set and setting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

I cant wait to see how many people march for this innocent man that was killed doing his job

Or take a knee...

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Mod

Everyone; get back on topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭Rezident

mobby wrote: »
    Can you imagine if Detective Garda Colm Horkan had somehow managed to retrieve his firearm and shoot pal dead instead, can you just imagine that? Boards and all the rest of social media would go into meltdown with the usual left anti Garda agenda, the usual rent a mobs would be holding protests in City's and towns of the land. However that is not the case and Detective Garda Colm Horkan is now dead having been murdered by a scumbag. Rest In Peace Colm.

That is actually so true that it is depressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

harr wrote: »
    Is there any mandatory sentencing for assault on a guard ? Because I know a local scumbag near hear who punched a female guard a number of years ago and only got an extra 2 months on to his car theft sentence .. the ****er was out after 9 months into a two sentence. and he still brags about doing it

Well I would bet (if I could find a bookies that was open!) that your local scumbag is not from the north Tipp area. I knew a local scumbag, who happened to be an up and coming hurler who head butted a female guard. When he was arrested and being brought to his cell the guards said ' I hear you are on the verge of being picked for the county'
    When he was released from the station he had two broken fingers-probably sustained while resisting arrest. Not too many tears were shed for him by the locals I can tell you.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭walshb

All this is true....

BUT....What if illegal drugs were available everywhere, and as easy to come by as alcohol? They were all legalized and as available to people as alcohol.

The world lives and copes with alcohol.

Something tells me that a free for all with illegal drugs sees society die....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

also, since when do you need a psychiatric report to tax a moped?

I think you should require one if you're considering buying one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

Hope the killer never again sees the light of day.....firing 15 bullets at a garda and standing over him as the guard died on the ground. People using the mental health card to nearly justify the slaying. More like cop hater on hash shoots garda to most people.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Rezident wrote: »
    That is actually so true that it is depressing.
    It's bullsh1t of false oppression.

A detective shot a man in Dublin in similar circumstances two years ago and there wasn't widespread outrage.

There were questions, lots of them. As there should always be when a Garda discharges his/her weapon. But this notion that there'd be widespread protests is complete rubbish without any basis.

Hope the killer never again sees the light of day.....firing 15 bullets at a garda and standing over him as the guard died on the ground. People using the mental health card to nearly justify the slaying. More like cop hater on hash shoots garda to most people.

Cop hater on hash?

Jesus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

Cop hater on hash. WTAF?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

The Gardai that arrested him should get an award for bravery, going after him after what just happened and remaining professional while doing their job.

These men and women don't get paid half enough.

This is why all police everywhere should be armed. If the suspect had behaved in any way logically, or if the detective had had an accessible spare magazine for example, they would have been in mortal peril with nothing but pepper spray to defend themselves and other armed units possibly many miles away.

If the suspect had tried to escape or gone on a rampage, again, no one to defend the public either. Everyone including medical help would have had to be held back until scene secured.

The good of the idea outweighs the bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Showed pictures of the bullet holes on builidings on the news. Very erratic. They were sprayed all directions. 2 buildings and a gate, all 3 facing different directions hit. Lucky no one else was hurt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭shaveAbullock

sdanseo wrote: »
    This is why all police everywhere should be armed. If the suspect had behaved in any way logically, or if the detective had had an accessible spare magazine for example, they would have been in mortal peril with nothing but pepper spray to defend themselves and other armed units possibly many miles away.

If the suspect had tried to escape or gone on a rampage, again, no one to defend the public either. Everyone including medical help would have had to be held back until scene secured.

What wrong with the current system where the senior Garda on duty can give the authorisation to open the gun safe and arm some of the regular force on duty if such a situation was to arise?

You only have to look to other countries to see the downside to a heavily armed police force. I think we are doing well in comparison to other countries. Many are asking why was a Garda armed while on duty in a small town like Castlrea while other are saying they all should be armed, I think we have a good balance.
    The one thing that is lacking is that there is not enough training in terms of tactics when it comes to using firearms, we should work on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

sdanseo wrote: »

The Gardai themselves aren't calling for the arming of the force.
    They are looking for readily available armed support for all areas but not every every guard to be armed.

In this tragedy if the guard wasn't armed he would be alive today.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

joe40 wrote: »
    The Gardai themselves aren't calling for the arming of the force.
    They are looking for readily available armed support for all areas but not every every guard to be armed.

In this tragedy if the guard wasn't armed he would be alive today.

or beaten to death

Advertisement