Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Detective Garda Colm Horkan killed in Castlerea, Roscommon - [MOD WARNING POST #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭kala85

What wrong with the current system where the senior Garda on duty can give the authorisation to open the gun safe and arm some of the regular force on duty if such a situation was to arise?

You only have to look to other countries to see the downside to a heavily armed police force. I think we are doing well in comparison to other countries. Many are asking why was a Garda armed while on duty in a small town like Castlrea while other are saying they all should be armed, I think we have a good balance.
    The one thing that is lacking is that there is not enough training in terms of tactics when it comes to using firearms, we should work on that.

Would there be fine in every station though?

How long did it take for more armed gardai to arrive in the scene

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

mynamejeff wrote: »
    or beaten to death

That probably would not have happened, I'm sure the guard would have been able to defend himself.

I don't think there are any serious calls for arming the Gardai. Things were probably more dangerous for guards during the troubles.

Definitely need well trained readily available armed support.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

If anything this seems like a situation where more guns was the last thing needed: either better staffing and/or non lethal weapons would seem more appropriate.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,665 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

I'm not sure why Tasers aren't more common with the Gardai. They are vital in resolving non-lethal situations without using much force. They really should look at widespread distribution of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,444 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

mobby wrote: »
    Can you imagine if Detective Garda Colm Horkan had somehow managed to retrieve his firearm and shoot pal dead instead, can you just imagine that? Boards and all the rest of social media would go into meltdown with the usual left anti Garda agenda, the usual rent a mobs would be holding protests in City's and towns of the land. However that is not the case and Detective Garda Colm Horkan is now dead having been murdered by a scumbag. Rest In Peace Colm.
    Rezident wrote: »
    That is actually so true that it is depressing.

That's not true at all. Why do ye lot always have to turn everything into some souped up attack on "lefties" and "virtue signallers" and "SJW's" etc. etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,446 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Why have we heard no info on the fella they arrested yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭pauldavis123

I'll give you one guess.

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    If anything this seems like a situation where more guns was the last thing needed: either better staffing and/or non lethal weapons would seem more appropriate.

We do not need more guns. Most people including small time criminals or people known to the police like this character don't have guns, so we don't need guns to tackle them. The guard in Castlerea needed support and other non lethal equipment to tackle the assailant.

You only need guns and fire arms when taking on drug dealers etc who may be armed.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,953 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

If he is charged, the thread will be pulled so use the time wisely now...

We have. He's been named in the papers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭shaveAbullock

I'll give you one guess.

Because he was a mechanic?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,446 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

I'll give you one guess.

I have no idea. Enlighten me please.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,548 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

TheCitizen wrote: »
    That's not true at all. Why do ye lot always have to turn everything into some souped up attack on "lefties" and "virtue signallers" and "SJW's" etc. etc.

Welcome to CA/IMHO everything is the "lefties" and "SJW" fault whether it's a stubbed toe, global pandemic or a nicked parking spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

I'm not sure why Tasers aren't more common with the Gardai. They are vital in resolving non-lethal situations without using much force. They really should look at widespread distribution of them.

A lot of the time they are utterly useless when dealing with violent people unless you get clean contact with skin and which is next to impossible unless someone is wearing a light T-Shirt ,if a suspect is wearing a jacket it's not going to work ,

as long as guards are being sent to patrol alone with no real standoff weapons or decent plate armour they will always be at risk of being attacked and injured or worse

pjohnson wrote: »
    Welcome to CA/IMHO everything is the "lefties" and "SJW" fault whether it's a stubbed toe, global pandemic or a nicked parking spot.

What's CA/IMHO?

What's CA/IMHO?

The name of this forum, it's a weird name for a forum.

The name of this forum, it's a weird name for a forum.

Current Affairs. What's the IMHO bit?

Current Affairs. What's the IMHO bit?

In my honest opinion

In my honest opinion

:confused: That is a weird name for a forum

I'll give you one guess.

Nah I won't bother. Are you going to tell us?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Truthvader

if arming the Guards was the solution America would be great.

Its the great American fallacy that the solution to every problem is more of something. Maybe get chill and step back a bit

Truthvader wrote: »
    if arming the Guards was the solution

It a suggestion that would save lives ,but they way things work here whenever a scumbag happens to get shot by a serving guard we have to have internal investigations , public inquiries and civil action against the guards ,

Where in America it's considered part and parcel of being a law enforcement officer

Nah I won't bother. Are you going to tell us?

I could be wrong but I think that poster thinks the man arrested is from a minority background, which is wrong but there were some rumour of this initially.

Gatling wrote: »
    A lot of the time they are utterly useless when dealing with violent people unless you get clean contact with skin and which is next to impossible unless someone is wearing a light T-Shirt ,if a suspect is wearing a jacket it's not going to work ,

as long as guards are being sent to patrol alone with no real standoff weapons or decent plate armour they will always be at risk of being attacked and injured or worse

I think you're talking about stun guns in bold above.

To your second part, Guards should not be patrolling alone. There were Guards in the station in Castlerea 5 minutes walk away when this incident happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

Truthvader wrote: »
    if arming the Guards was the solution America would be great.

Its the great American fallacy that the solution to every problem is more of something. Maybe get chill and step back a bit

The most common suggestion I’ve seen is that armed Gardaí should not be responding to incidents alone; which seems fairly reasonable.

As to how viable this is in rural Ireland I have no idea.

I don’t think the people who want to arm all Gardaí or send in the army are anywhere close to a majority; just the usual contrarians.

To your second part, Guards should not be patrolling alone. There were Guards in the station in Castlerea 5 minutes walk away

It's exactly the same they are pretty ineffective in all but perfect situations ,
    He was alone when he was attacked ,5 mins walk away is too far when your in a situation alone ,

It a suggestion that would save lives ,but they way things work here whenever a scumbag happens to get shot by a serving guard we have to have internal investigations , public inquiries and civil action against the guards ,

Where in America it's considered part and parcel of being a law enforcement officer

Are you for real? Arming guards does not save lives. Bringing more guns around the place will definitely lead to more deaths.

To your second part, Guards should not be patrolling alone. There were Guards in the station in Castlerea 5 minutes walk away when this incident happened.

Most of them don't work alone, detectives can work alone but that will probably change after this.
    The investigation may recommend it, the purpose of this investigation is not primarily to find fault with what the guard did but to recommend change in procedures.

It's exactly the same they are pretty ineffective in all but perfect situations ,

No it's not the same thing at all. Why are you pretending to be an expert on this, when clearly you're not.
    He was alone when he was attacked ,5 mins walk away is too far when your in a situation alone ,

Yes I know. What I'm saying is Gardai should not be patrolling alone, and in this instance there were Gardai in a station 5 minutes walk away. He should not have been doing that patrol alone.

• Advertisement

Are you for real? Arming guards does not save lives.

I am for real and if it doesn't save lives why arm any guards at all then ,

Why are detectives and other units armed then ?

Advertisement