Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Detective Garda Colm Horkan killed in Castlerea, Roscommon - [MOD WARNING POST #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,953 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Steve Silvermint for those as old as myself. Is his name a makey uppey one?

I'll button it now, since the thread will be closed once this person is charged anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

Is that the same Ming Flanagan whos advocating smoking cannabis and be as high as kites

TheCitizen wrote: »
    And you're accusing me of being belligerent? Are you a Guard, how come you're such an expert on this?

You ignored the point I made re whenever there's checkpoints for drink driving or car tax etc., you never ever see the checkpoint manned by a Guard on his/her own. So why would a patrol for a more serious situation have only one Guard? They'll change it.

Because when there's only 1 Garda they don't do checkpoints but as you have been told, the uniform car has 2 Gardai in it. Really that hard to comprehend?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,444 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Your very clearly don't have a clue what you are talking about. Considering the subject of this thread, maybe pipe down and accept the direct information being provided By actual serving Gardai.

Most stations in this country only have 1 detective on duty at any given time. They may only have 1 uniform patrol car working. Taking a uniform to go with the detective means no response car.

That hasn't changed after any of the other deaths because numbers don't allow it.

Are you speaking for the Gardai here, are you a Guard? If you're not then it's just your opinion and you pipe down.

There was Gardai in a station 5 minutes walk from this incident, but you and the other knowitalls will say they've got their own work etc. Well they do, but if they want to ensure a Guard, detective or not, is not alone then they can make changes that one of those Guards in the station could be available as back up.

Mod

Take 24 hrs away from thr forum to consider how you will stop attacking posters instead of attacking posts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

Garda numbers in rural Ireland are at skeletal levels since Alan Shatter closed many garda stations and gave early retirement to many guards.

Towns that had 12 guards when there was minimal crime in the 80s and 90s now have no guard or station despite crime going through the roof with traveller gangs robbing all round them and dealing drugs.

• Advertisement

Because when there's only 1 Garda they don't do checkpoints but as you have been told, the uniform car has 2 Gardai in it. Really that hard to comprehend?

No I haven't been told that as a matter of fact. I didn't realise that the GRA were taking over the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,806 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

And you're accusing me of being belligerent? Are you a Guard, how come you're such an expert on this?

You ignored the point I made re whenever there's checkpoints for drink driving or car tax etc., you never ever see the checkpoint manned by a Guard on his/her own. So why would a patrol for a more serious situation have only one Guard? They'll change it.

DDU cars don't do calls as a rule, they're free to attend calls marked cars are going to or hang back as they please until someone else attends. Marked cars are dual crewed because they're response cars, unarmed and because they're the first unit attending every sh1te call that comes in with god knows what happening at it.

Agree with u , that man had no business with a gun in Castlerea last night . U would imagine there only used for hostile situations and certainly not on ones own .
    Did I hear it mentioned he was only a detective with 3 weeks !
    Not taken from what was done him was totally out of the question .

You are completely taking away from him.

What has the 3 weeks for to do with it? He's over 20 years service!

He was probably the only armed officer on duty for the entire town as well but he saw something and as a Garda he went to investigate.

It's unbelievable that absolute amateurs are critisising him here.

Have some bloody respect

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Gerianam

Steve Silvermint for those as old as myself. Is his name a makey uppey one?

I'll button it now, since the thread will be closed once this person is charged anyway.
    It is his real name.

No I haven't been told that as a matter of fact. I didn't realise that the GRA were taking over the thread.

It's mentioned above.1 for station, 1 for prisoners, 2 for car.

If numbers don't allow, there may be only 1 in the car but it's avoided mostly.

I can only repeat myself afterb that

• Advertisement

Are you speaking for the Gardai here, are you a Guard? If you're not then it's just your opinion and you pipe down.

There was Gardai in a station 5 minutes walk from this incident, but you and the other knowitalls will say they've got their own work etc. Well they do, but if they want to ensure a Guard, detective or not, is not alone then they can make changes that one of those Guards in the station could be available as back up.

You are being told here by people that know, that there are not enough Gardai in the country to do what you think they should.
    Now every guard in the country would much prefer to have a colleague working with them, unfortunately the numbers are not there.
    That is fact.
    My hometown, for example, when I was growing up had a station, open 24 hours a day, with a detective unit & a large station party.
    Now, you're lucky if it opens a few hours a week, with less then 6 members attached to it.

I don't know where you live, but it's clearly not in a country town & thankfully you have not had to rely on guards coming to your assistance quickly.

He was probably the only armed officer on duty for the entire town as well but he saw something and as a Garda he went to investigate.

Have some bloody respect

Nah it's grand Niner, TheCitizen reckons numbers can be stretched further. Log the Gaoler on for the car there aswell:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

"Let's bring more guns into the situation" is your solution. Mad stuff.

Well a second armed guard would have beens able to nutrualise the threat the moment Garda Horkan lost his firearm ,
    Mad though to think you claim otherwise

Have some bloody respect

You need to chill pal. Nobody wants to see a Guard shot like that, they are asking how it happened and how it can be prevented in the future. Instead any questions or solutions suggested is met with belligerence from you and one or two others.

I believe this thread will should be closed very shortly, should be charges soon.

Anyone who wishes to discuss issues with manpower should start a new thread & also get onto their local TD :)

Gatling wrote: »
    Well a second armed guard would have beens able to nutrualise the threat the moment Garda Horkan lost his firearm ,
    Mad though to think you claim otherwise

If you can't see the stupidity in that comment, then there's not much hope for you.

You need to chill pal. Nobody wants to see a Guard shot like that, they are asking how it happened and how it can be prevented in the future. Instead any questions or solutions suggested is met with belligerence from you and one or two others.

You're the only belligerent one here.

You're just raging because you're being told why your ideas aren't workable and ya can't handle it.

bubblypop wrote: »
    I believe this thread will should be closed very shortly, should be charges soon.

Anyone who wishes to discuss issues with manpower should start a new thread & also get onto their local TD :)

You're probably right. RIP to the detective.

Hopefully improvements for Gardai safety will come from it.

I am and that's why myself, bubble and Witcher are speaking accurately compared to you.

The Garda on duty in the station ran out because shots were fired. It was a very serious event. If you want stations closed because about 2000 Gardai have been transferred to ddu then suggest it but that would be reducing the manpower of uniform response (that do most investigating by the way) by 25% at a minimum. Actually, you need to allow for holidays, court, training. So really, you need to triple ddu numbers.

Might work but then stations would be closed to the public and even less uniforms patrolling and responding to calls.

Or we could increase Garda manpower to a more reasonable level of 20,000 but that won't be happening soon. They government reduced to 12,000 and thinks it's great by going back to 15.

Witcher wrote: »
    Nah it's grand Niner, TheCitizen reckons numbers can be stretched further. Log the Gaoler on for the car there aswell:pac:

And not be impartial when minding my own prisoner?????

Don't be giving management ideas!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

LuasSimon wrote: »
    Is that the same Ming Flanagan whos advocating smoking cannabis and be as high as kites

People who smoke cannabis attack the fridge and go to bed!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

The "one or two others" are either themselves Gardai or they're very close to people who are; so it's only natural they would have a fairly strong response to any discussion here. I don't think you can really blame them.

What I'm getting from your comments is that you think there should be more Gardai trained and put on duty at any point in time such that every area has enough coverage to prevent incidents of lone Gardai getting into difficulty. Which seems pretty reasonable.

I think the lads here are taking your comments as "the Gardai on duty that night didn't do their jobs correctly or use their resources properly"; which hopefully you didn't mean and certainly to me doesn't seem to be accurate. They're working with the resources assigned to their station/area/district and the Gardai on the front lines have absolutely no control over that. They're also working in a manner they have worked for decades and which has in the vast vast majority of cases been effective at protecting themselves and their colleagues.

I don't think anyone would disagree with the paragraph above. Everyone wants the Gardai to remain as safe as possible in the course of their duties.

However this is a discussion forum and I don't think it's unreasonable to discuss the incident or how this incident might be prevented in the future.

Keep in mind that a Detective Garda lost his life and you don't know who might be reading this thread from his family or circle of friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

If you can't see the stupidity in that comment, then there's not much hope for you.

You should look at your own comments .

Man charged & due in court at 10.30pm, thread should be closed

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭SaltSweatSugar

A man has been charged and due before a special sitting of Castlerea District Court at 10.30pm.

It’s on the Journal

ronivek wrote: »
    The "one or two others" are either themselves Gardai or they're very close to people who are; so it's only natural they would have a fairly strong response to any discussion here. I don't think you can really blame them.

What I'm getting from your comments is that you think there should be more Gardai trained and put on duty at any point in time such that every area has enough coverage to prevent incidents of lone Gardai getting into difficulty. Which seems pretty reasonable.

I think the lads here are taking your comments as "the Gardai on duty that night didn't do their jobs correctly or use their resources properly"; which hopefully you didn't mean and certainly to me doesn't seem to be accurate. They're working with the resources assigned to their station/area/district and the Gardai on the front lines have absolutely no control over that. They're also working in a manner they have worked for decades and which has in the vast vast majority of cases been effective at protecting themselves and their colleagues.

I don't think anyone would disagree with the paragraph above. Everyone wants the Gardai to remain as safe as possible in the course of their duties.

However this is a discussion forum and I don't think it's unreasonable to discuss the incident or how this incident might be prevented in the future.

Keep in mind that a Detective Garda lost his life and you don't know who might be reading this thread from his family or circle of friends.

That's what I thought, but ultimately that will be a discussion Gardai and their Union Representatives in the GRA will need to have with management and government.
    bubblypop wrote: »
    Man charged & due in court at 10.30pm, thread should be closed

In before the lock:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭McCrack

seamus wrote: »
    This. And in rural areas especially a detective might be more inclined to get involved in random traffic stops or public order incidents. In Dublin or Cork detectives will leave this work to Traffic or uniforms, but rural stations have a more "all hands on deck" approach.

Youre a boards regular poster with an opinion on everything

That's all I'll say

• Registered Users Posts: 15,953 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

A man has been charged and due before a special sitting of Castlerea District Court at 10.30pm.

It’s on the Journal

Bet he is the man named. Over and out, thread will be closed soon enough.

May Detective Garda Horkan rest in peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,350 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Its the guy named
    LuasSimon wrote: »
    Garda numbers in rural Ireland are at skeletal levels since Alan Shatter closed many garda stations and gave early retirement to many guards.

Towns that had 12 guards when there was minimal crime in the 80s and 90s now have no guard or station despite crime going through the roof with traveller gangs robbing all round them and dealing drugs.

That is true but Castlerea station did not lack Gardaí. I walked past the other week and 5 squad cars as well as wagon sat outside

All the villages surrounding Castlerea have seen their stations close or like 1 garda stationed few hours per week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Duncoise wrote: »
    I wouldn't be surprised if Silver wasn't in his right state of mind. Just look at the pictures of him going into court and you can tell he's not all there.

Another tragic example of the failure of Ireland's mental health services.

Please, people..

Give this mental health nonsense a rest.

The act was an act of cold blooded wickedness...

Pure pure bad....whatever state of mind he was in, just make sure he never ever sets foot out of jail again..

Failure of our mental health services?

An insult to the many many many people doing so much great work to help people in trouble.

And then some nasty wicked person goes and kills, and it’s straight to the blaming others...pathetic.

People kill and hurt and maim. No matter what other people do to try and stop it.

Advertisement