Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Detective Garda Colm Horkan killed in Castlerea, Roscommon - [MOD WARNING POST #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

Tragic news. RIP.

Is Castlerea a rough town?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭ChelseaRentBoy

NIMAN wrote: »
    Murder of a guard should mean life in jail, you're never getting out.

May this poor man RIP, so sad for his family, to go to work and not come home.

Murder of anyone should mean that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

vicwatson wrote: »
    Reports say a man in his 40’s is in custody, not a youth

He was talking about an incident in Lusk where a gang of youths surrounded two detectives. Tried to take ones gun and tried to push the other in front of traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

The judges keep letting them down , they're bringing scumbags to court and the judges hand out Mickey mouse sentences , I've a uncle who was a Garda and after the stories he was telling I wouldn't do that job for love nor money. Rip

I accept we have a problem with inconsistent sentencing with certain categories of crimes, but there also needs to be acceptance that you can't arrest and sentence (nor clobber) away a lot of the problems you see in society. If you could, we wouldn't be seeing the problems we see in the US in certain communities.

When the circumstances of this tragedy come out, we'll likely find (and I know this is speculative) the perpetrator who did this wasn't weighing up in his mind what kind of sentence he'd be getting when he decided to pull the trigger.

Either way, he'll likely, and quite rightly be doing a very long stretch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

Did you see the post on Roscommon Herald’s page?

Yes. It was a nothing incident, not a raid or an armed response like the stories that have been spreading

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,922 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Yurt! wrote: »
    Leave it out. An entire country is enveloped in protests about police brutality and people like you don't get the message. Lets turn the Gardai into a militia clobbering scallys off the back of a tragedy; fantastic idea.

Just leave it out and show some respect to the deceased.

I dont see moderator under your name pal so I will post however i damn well please unless told otherwise by someone that is.

I have the utmost respect for anyone that signs up to be a Garda. They are under paid, under supported and under protected. I wouldnt do the job if they were paying €100k a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,544 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

RIP

Was watching the news on VM 1 and they say it happened on the street and the suspect is a 43 year old.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

I accept we have a problem with inconsistent sentencing with certain categories of crimes, but there needs to be acceptance that you can't arrest and sentence away a lot of the problems you see in society. If you could, we wouldn't be seeing the problems we see in the US in certain communities.

When the circumstances of this tragedy come, we'll likely find (and I know this is speculative) the individual who did this wasn't weighing up in his mind what kind of sentence he'd be getting when he decided to pull the trigger.

Why not ? There's people walking around with hundreds of convictions . People doing crime , getting bail and continue robbing because they know if they get caught the sentence end up running concurrent to the original one. It's a great system if your a scumbag

Yes. It was a nothing incident, not a raid or an armed response like the stories that have been spreading

There is a post in the initial news report of the shooting. Someone going by the name of Eddie Murphy wrote “Karma for a bully boy”.

I clicked into profile and looks like it was set up earlier this month but goes to show there’s gutless ***** in this world who hide behind anonymous profiles and all they want to do is get a rise out of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,450 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I didn't realise that guards carried guns as a matter of course, I thought there were armed response units for that, is this a new policy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

I didn't realise that guards carried guns as a matter of course, I thought there were armed response units for that, is this a new policy?

Detectives can carry guns, especially when calling out to places where there is a threat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

only detectives carry a sidearm

Why not ? There's people walking around with hundreds of convictions . People doing crime , getting bail and continue robbing because they know if they get caught the sentence end up running concurrent to the original one. It's a great system if your a scumbag

Just to pick you up on that: Legislation dating from 1984 provides that if a person commits a crime while out on bail for another offence, the sentences for each of those offences must be made consecutive.

It's one of our very few mandatory minimum type sentences that remove judicial discretion along with life for murder.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭Get Real

LeBash wrote: »

AGS are being treated like sh1t on a shoe because no matter what they do to stop, arrest and prosecute crime, the next level of the system fails us all.

This is one of the biggest issues in the State. And doesn't get a fraction of the coverage in the media or people speaking out as say, the trolley crisis in health (also an extremely important issue)

Those that benefit from the Legal aid system and repeat offending, don't want to rock the boat. Yes, everyone has rights, which should be respected.

But I have yet to see a journalist investigate of all the crime that happens in Ireland, how many people who commit crime have 20 convictions or more, and how many who commit offences were already out on bail for other offences. I'd wager it's a huge percentage of our crime.

When the Gardai are part of a massive system, with many moving parts, they are generally the pawns of the system and yet take all the blame when something goes wrong.

In 2015, Garda Tony Golden (RIP), on duty alone, attended a domestic incident. He lost his life. Tributes were paid, politicians condemned it

Almost 5 years later, this Garda (RIP) tragically lost his life, again on duty alone. Tributes are being paid, politicians are condemning it.....

• Registered Users Posts: 16,544 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I thought it was a mandatory 40 year sentence for killing a Guard.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Is there any mandatory sentencing for assault on a guard ? Because I know a local scumbag near hear who punched a female guard a number of years ago and only got an extra 2 months on to his car theft sentence .. the ****er was out after 9 months into a two sentence. and he still brags about doing it

I thought it was a mandatory 40 year sentence for killing a Guard.

It's categorized as 'capital murder' (along with the murder of foreign diplomatic officers or heads of state in Ireland), but I'm not entirely sure now how it effects sentencing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

NIMAN wrote: »
    Murder of a guard should mean life in jail, you're never getting out.

May this poor man RIP, so sad for his family, to go to work and not come home.
    nthclare wrote: »
    Any one who kills a Garda should be never let out again.

its' 40years no early release- so in effect it is pretty much you aren't getting out unless you are in your 20s.

some lads got lucky with Good Friday agreement.

another lad got out after 30years cos he argued cos he was sentenced to death which the president commuted to 40years he wasn't on the 40years no remission so entitled to his good behavour time.

But they are exceptions - the arrested fella is looking at 40years - he'll prob die instead if he is in his 40s as they report

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

Awful news and I hope the individual that shot him gets the attention he deserves in the station.

This is exactly what is wrong with the cops in the USA - punish/kill and ask questions later.

Thankfully your suggestion would not pass muster with the majority of gardai here and there will be a full investigation.

But whilst RIP to the garda involved, I thought there were procedures for detectives regarding firearms and not something they carry in the normal course of duty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

I dont see moderator under your name pal so I will post however i damn well please unless told otherwise by someone that is.

I have the utmost respect for anyone that signs up to be a Garda. They are under paid, under supported and under protected. I wouldnt do the job if they were paying €100k a year.

You can post how you like, but it does get very tiring every time there’s an incident like this people want more armed Gardaí, harsher sentences, more persecution of minorities, basically saying “let’s get more like policing & sentencing in the US, they lock their convicts up for hundreds of years, and have the death sentence, and they seem to be doing great”.

It gets tiring, and it gets really really tiring when “most likely” an influential factor here may be something like alcohol, but let’s not mention that because I’ll be fcuked if someone tries to interfere with that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Really tragic news, RIP to the guards. When they have a suspect this early he is probably definitely their guy.

I would imagine there won't be a better treated prisoner. The last thing the guards will want is to jeopardize a conviction.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭KevRossi

kowloonkev wrote: »
    We all know he's going to suffer and rightly so. It helps to protect other Gardai because the vast majority of scumbags know they're going to suffer if they harm a Garda. So yes it does help.

He’s going to do 40 years: it’s the mandatory sentence for killing a Garda.

Gardai need more back up from the courts, better legislation and more help from the community, not some bunch of rogue Gardai taking matters into their own hands. Ask them, they’ll tell you the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

silver2020 wrote: »
    This is exactly what is wrong with the cops in the USA - punish/kill and ask questions later.

Thankfully your suggestion would not pass muster with the majority of gardai here and there will be a full investigation.

But whilst RIP to the garda involved, I thought there were procedures for detectives regarding firearms and not something they carry in the normal course of duty.

All detectives in Ireland are armed while on duty and are usually based in the larger stations and are usually dispatched to instances where a weapon might be involved. They also are needed on some road checkpoints.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭kravmaga

only detectives carry a sidearm

Thats incorrect, there is plenty of Garda who are fully trained up and carry in plain clothes not uniform.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

The death penality should be in place for such crimes against the Gardai. Nothing short of it is sufficent punishment.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭GolfNut33

Capitol Murder of a Garda is 40 years in prison. Essentially, most will die in prison.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

Just to pick you up on that: Legislation dating from 1984 provides that if a person commits a crime while out on bail for another offence, the sentences for each of those offences must be made consecutive.

It's one of our very few mandatory minimum type sentences that remove judicial discretion along with life for murder.

That's waffle , read the paper and you'll see that it's not true , if that was the case you'd have no walking round with dozens of convictions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭Akesh

KevRossi wrote: »
    He’s going to do 40 years: it’s the mandatory sentence for killing a Garda.

Gardai need more back up from the courts, better legislation and more help from the community, not some bunch of rogue Gardai taking matters into their own hands. Ask them, they’ll tell you the same.

That just isn't going to happen. Everybody has a son story, addiction etc. but there is very little personal responsibility and no accountability for the judiciary. It's a farce of a system and once you hit a number of convictions, a judge's discretion should be removed, if not removed altogether because it's continually failing this country. The legal lobby are looking after their own members and the only person to challenge it was swiftly removed from office.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

All those baying for blood should wait until it is investigated. For all we know the person was going through an acute mental health crisis. The circumstances sound very odd.

Desperately sad news to be waking up to this morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

begbysback wrote: »
    You can post how you like, but it does get very tiring every time there’s an incident like this people want more armed Gardaí, harsher sentences, more persecution of minorities, basically saying “let’s get more like policing & sentencing in the US, they lock their convicts up for hundreds of years, and have the death sentence, and they seem to be doing great”.

It gets tiring, and it gets really really tiring when “most likely” an influential factor here may be something like alcohol, but let’s not mention that because I’ll be fcuked if someone tries to interfere with that.

Detective is allowed to carry a gun. To be honest the PC culture in this country is to blame for most of our problems.
    We should bring in tough laws, get caught stealing twice, hand off.
    Assault someone, give the person the same beating in public
    Rape someone, cut it off.

Kids are now carrying knives and stabbing other kids and it doesn't make the news these days. We are going down a very dark road

Advertisement