Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Detective Garda Colm Horkan killed in Castlerea, Roscommon - [MOD WARNING POST #1]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

TheCitizen wrote: »
    Would a Guard (Detective or not) normally be carrying a gun in a call out like that? If there was no gun at the scene he'd be alive. Sad and what appears to be a random incident. RIP.

I would have thought not, common sense would say that domestics and firearms don’t mix very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,481 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Awful news, RIP.

I'm shocked to learn that members of AGS are sent to incidents on their own. I occasionally look at police programmes from other countries and they're always in pairs and have body cams.

The RTE report states that the guards have requested anyone with dash cam footage to come forward. Serious investment is needed to modernise Garda equipment and allow them to do their job more efficiently, and hopefully, safely.

Condolences to his family, friends and colleagues.

That’s the question. How the hell was the Garda in a situation where he was alone ? An armed Garda who by default will be required to attend dangerous and volatile incidents, who will have a weapon but who in this instance was disarmed and murdered.

Higgins, Leo and all the rest of them can fûck off with their tributes.... he is dead not just because of a bunch of scumbags but because he was asked to do a job where he needed resources, but was denied them and left alone...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭tigger123

walshb wrote: »
    I don't think she needs to be ignored. She needs to be seriously challenged....

Her speech, in my view is of hate and anarchy and promotion of sedition and anything else....

I don't know her position in society....is she a public rep? If so, she needs to be removed.

I think you challenge people who are making cohesive arguments.

Arguing with her f*cking conspiracy theory bullsh*t gives her and her thinking a validity it doesnt deserve.

She's a racist c*nt.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Would a Guard (Detective or not) normally be carrying a gun in a call out like that? If there was no gun at the scene he'd be alive. Sad and what appears to be a random incident. RIP.
    A detective would typically be carrying his weapon while on duty, yes.

Many units bring their weapon to and from their home.

The same question came up a couple of years back when an off-duty detective shot someone in Portobello late at night.

On the face of it a Garda attending any violent incident alone seems ill-advised whether they're armed or not, but we don't know the details of this incident. It could easily have been something relatively benign that spiralled quickly out of control.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

An armed detective is always armed I would imagine.

Doesn't he have to be?

• Advertisement

Look at what this crazy bitch has to say about it

I've only heard of this woman on the boards here.

Never read anything by here or hear her speak.

What des the comment mean?

Is she saying the killer will get what he deserves?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Truthvader

UrbanFret wrote: »
    Terrible tragedy for the Family involved. What bothers me is how on earth an armed detective lets someone disarm him and turn the weapon on him. If as has been reported he was on his own then he should have taken his assailant down and **** the inevitable protests that Follow.

I expect like every decent Guard he would not discharge his weapon unless his own life or someone else's was in danger. He probably made a decision to allow himself be disarmed rather than harm his assailant expecting he would just escape. Top class professional decision by a brave and honourable man

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭TallGlass2

I've only heard of this woman on the boards here.

Never read anything by here or hear her speak.

What des the comment mean?

Is she saying the killer will get what he deserves?

Given her previous comments on the Gaurds and engagements with Gaurds. She is taking a pop, as per usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Truthvader wrote: »
    He probably made a decision to allow himself be disarmed rather than harm his assailant expecting he would just escape.

Why would someone let themselves be disarmed? That doesn't sound right, and surely isn't how you are trained.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭political analyst

I expect like every decent Guard he would not discharge his weapon unless his own life or someone else's was in danger. He probably made a decision to allow himself be disarmed rather than harm his assailant expecting he would just escape. Top class professional decision by a brave and honourable man

Uhhhh... do you not think that the victim would have been thinking more of not just his own safety but also his own family than the safety of the attacker?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Absolute scumbag!

Effects wrote: »
    Why would someone let themselves be disarmed? That doesn't sound right, and surely isn't how you are trained.
    It's all bull**** speculation lads.

Nobody "allows" themselves to be disarmed. It's something that happens in the course of a struggle, and it can happen to anyone no matter how highly trained they are.

Speculating over what mistakes may have been made and trying to assign blame, is really low stuff when not even 12 hours have passed. At least wait for some semblance of information before assigning fault anywhere.

TallGlass2 wrote: »
    Given her previous comments on the Gaurds and engagements with Gaurds. She is taking a pop, as per usual.

I'm not easily shocked these days but that is appalling.

Does she do these things because she believes or just to "trigger" people (I believe that is the phrase anyway)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

walshb wrote: »
    What an absolute toerag.....

She is an enemy of the state, and this attack should not go unchallenged.

Free speech my arse....that is an attack on the very people of the state that are serving us, and protecting us...

Exactly this. I'm all for free speech but this is coming close to incitement of hatred.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭hrcbob

begbysback wrote: »

It gets tiring, and it gets really really tiring when “most likely” an influential factor here may be something like alcohol, but let’s not mention that because I’ll be fcuked if someone tries to interfere with that.

See this is the stuff that annoys me.
    Blame drink?
    Blame drugs?
    I’ll go out and get as completely **** faced as anybody from time to time but I just go home and collapse on my own floor in a peaceful heap.
    Being intoxicated is no excuse for being violent or aggressive towards others and should not under any circumstances be swallowed as part of some bs sob story in our courts.
    I understand addiction is a big issue but enabling addicts by giving them soft sentences for being a menace to the rest of society is no good for anybody.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

I Doubt his family would share your opinion.
    I doubt although I stand corrected if that's standard procedure for an armed detective.

hrcbob wrote: »
    See this is the stuff that annoys me.
    Blame drink?
    Blame drugs?
    I’ll go out and get as completely **** faced as anybody from time to time but I just go home and collapse on my own floor in a peaceful heap.
    Being intoxicated is no excuse for being violent or aggressive towards others and should not under any circumstances be swallowed as part of some bs sob story in our courts.
    I understand addiction is a big issue but enabling addicts by giving them soft sentences for being a menace to the rest of society is no good for anybody.

Booze and drugs are no excuse but they are a factor that can change a situation.

Not every person is a "happy drunk" like yourself. And I mean happy drunk is a nice way so please don't go getting offended.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Her comrade Waters is from Castlerea. Wonder he takes the same stance.

What a thundering c**t.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Sounds like it was a local man who shot the Garda

UrbanFret wrote: »
    Terrible tragedy for the Family involved. What bothers me is how on earth an armed detective lets someone disarm him and turn the weapon on him. If as has been reported he was on his own then he should have taken his assailant down and **** the inevitable protests that Follow.

Didn't take long....
    We were wondering this morning how long before the victim was blamed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,117 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

The saddest part of this is that the outcome would likely be different if a second guard was there. It's much harder to overpower 2 people.

Why are they sent out alone? Underfunding, no doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

There is no way a Garda/detective skilled in firearms will intentionally allow a civilian to take hold of their weapon. But if a struggle happened before he had chance to reach for it, it’s understandable the assailant could take it. Similar to how the lad who was shot in Atlanta was able to take control of the taser.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

Rip garda detective.
    Hope the suspect gets the a severe sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭hrcbob

Booze and drugs are no excuse but they are a factor that can change a situation.

Not every person is a "happy drunk" like yourself. And I mean happy drunk is a nice way so please don't go getting offended.

None taken.
    I agree not everyone one is a happy drunk. Even if you’re a very unhappy drunk , drink or drugs are not an acceptable excuse in my eyes.
    I’m sure no excuse will make that poor mans family feel anything other than distraught over their loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

bubblypop wrote: »
    Didn't take long....
    We were wondering this morning how long before the victim was blamed.

Who's blaming the unfortunate Victim. Who's the "we" or do you presume everyone agrees with you.
    There's a serious issue here so let's respect each others opinions and not be looking for likes after every post.
    Firstly need to find out why was he alone at this incident?
    Then we might get some clarity.

The saddest part of this is that the outcome would likely be different if a second guard was there. It's much harder to overpower 2 people.

Why are they sent out alone? Underfunding, no doubt.
    Like I say, speculating at this point gains nothing.

News reports say that he stopped and got out of his car when he saw an incident occurring. It would be typical for a detective Garda to be out on his own, and it would also be typical for any Garda to intervene if they saw an incident while out and about even if they're on their own.

So asking questions about why he was on his own is premature at this point.

hrcbob wrote: »
    None taken.
    I agree not everyone one is a happy drunk. Even if you’re a very unhappy drunk , drink or drugs are not an acceptable excuse in my eyes.
    I’m sure no excuse will make that poor mans family feel anything other than distraught over their loss.

No there is no excuse.

And it boggles my mind when it is used to try excuse behaviour.

I just meant that it's presence can change how a situation unfolds.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,837 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

That's not what you are trained to do. Also if the reports are accurate the situation escalated quickly and the Detective was taken by surprise. I suppose with hindsight people will ask why was he on his own. It probably was complacency from having responded to numerous call outs without major incident in a sleepy town.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,481 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

He ‘might’ be alive... that said, individuals who have no qualms about shooting dead a Garda wouldn’t have any great issue kicking him to death or smashing his head in with a crowbar.

If he wasn’t carrying a gun and there was a shots fired in a robbery at a farmhouse say your or my house we’d be giving out pretty rapidly if there were no armed Gardai to respond and protect us.

No matter the job... state, Gardai, doctors, nurses, wherever.... give people the backup, equipment and resources to do their fûcking job... if your colleague is sick ? There are standbys, colleagues on standby to come and work...

If in Aer Lingus, I’m a captain, I wake this morning, pounding migraine... I call into the job, not fit for duty, I’m not fit to fly an aircraft full of people and Cargo to New York, there is a standby list.... somebody is being paid standby to sit in their gaff, bag packed, no drinking, no trips away, they are packed and ready...

Would there or is there a situation similar here where, if there WAS a sick call, a couple of guys per region would be available to jump in ?

• Advertisement

That's not what you are trained to do. Also if the reports are accurate the situation escalated quickly and the Detective was taken by surprise. I suppose with hindsight people will ask why was he on his own. It probably was complacency from having responded to numerous call outs without major incident in a sleepy town.

Granted there is little detail at the moment but that does seem to be what happened. Run of the mill encounter than suddenly escalated unexpectedly.

If so it is unlike the latest police shooting in the States. Two cops are called to drunk man in a parking lot. There is 40 minutes of this amiable man trying to talk his way out of trouble with two ordinary men being very patient and respectful.

Then a moment it escalates into something else entirely and lives are ruined.

Advertisement