Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Detective Garda Colm Horkan killed in Castlerea, Roscommon - [MOD WARNING POST #1]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Booze and drugs are no excuse but they are a factor that can change a situation.

Not every person is a "happy drunk" like yourself. And I mean happy drunk is a nice way so please don't go getting offended.

If I’ve had a stressful week, drink is the worst friend I could have. I will argue for no other reason than I am drunk.

If I’ve had a stressful week - I no longer take a drink to “unwind”. I am responsible for my past, present and future actions and it’s up to me to make sure I act like a decent human being. If I do something stupid I can’t blame the drink as I already knew what could happen.

I’m normally a decent human being :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,319 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Also worth noting, if there is a domestic dispute and an outside party intervened, often the member of the couple who seem to be on the receiving end of the domestic dispute (usually the female) will then suddenly be back inside with the partner, and person who intervened has 2 drunk and out of control yobbos against them. There will need to be cctv or witness to confirm if it became a 2 v 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,977 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Tragic news, there's more questions than answers at the moment but it was initially reported as a domestic incident, it would seem now it was just a chance encounter albeit this in itself very odd. An armed detective, on patrol alone at 12 midnight in a small town is also curious. The commissioner also stating it was a random act so lots to learn and indeed understand.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭Get Real

CrankyHaus wrote: »

So this man had 91 previous convictions, killed a Guard by driving at his squad car. In 2011 got 8 years for this.

And in early 2019 was out and driving again, despite a 20 year ban. Not that he should have been out in 2019 anyway. Madness.

Edit: sorry, he got out of prison for killing a Garda in 2015! 4 years! Then in April last year, having been released, drives dangerously and allegedly assaults a Garda. But is bailed. He's currently living in his house until July, the next court date. Madder than I originally thought. Presumed he'd be in custody.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

In Cork recently a teenager was stabbed multiple times by another teenager. The injured teenager may lose an eye. His attacker is out on bail. What signal does this send out to scumbags?
    I'm with the long sentence brigade.

Condolences to the Garda's family and friends. Shocking situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Yet another Garda from East Mayo killed in the line of duty.

RIP.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 11,350 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Tragic news, there's more questions than answers at the moment but it was initially reported as a domestic incident, it would seem now it was just a chance encounter albeit this in itself very odd. An armed detective, on patrol alone at 12 midnight in a small town is also curious. The commissioner also stating it was a random act so lots to learn and indeed understand.

Patrolling alone is only question I have. There is quite a heavy Garda presence in the town probably because of the prison but still it's very strange to see one Garda in their own on patrol even late at night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Get Real wrote: »
    So this man had 91 previous convictions, killed a Guard by driving at his squad car. In 2011 got 8 years for this.

And in early 2019 was out and driving again, despite a 20 year ban. Not that he should have been out in 2019 anyway. Madness.

Lol, 2019 :pac:. He was out in June 2015, and according to the media, reporting in 2016 on him winning a car in a raffle (while still on a driving ban):

"Gardai are seeking to interview McDermott after he fled from Letterkenny General Hospital after crashing a friend’s car near the village of Drumkeen last August while banned from driving."

https://www.thesun.ie/archives/irish-news/196320/death-thugs-brazen-joy-gardas-motor-killer-wins-car-in-e25-raffle/

He also made a prison escape. This earned him a whopper 14 days added to his sentence; nicely offset by a 21 day reduction for "good behaviour".

Of course his current charges show that he's well rehabilitated.

UrbanFret wrote: »
    Who's blaming the unfortunate Victim. Who's the "we" or do you presume everyone agrees with you.
    There's a serious issue here so let's respect each others opinions and not be looking for likes after every post.
    Firstly need to find out why was he alone at this incident?
    Then we might get some clarity.

'we' are the people I work with.
    Why was he alone? Happens regularly. Unfortunately

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,743 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

rossie1977 wrote: »
    Patrolling alone is only question I have. There is quite a heavy Garda presence in the town probably because of the prison but still it's very strange to see one Garda in their own on patrol even late at night.

Not that unusual.
    I have often seen guards out driving on their own in a squad car.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Has this anything to do with the eviction last year?

Has this anything to do with the eviction last year?

No that was Strokestown about 20 miles away most of that small country lanes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭irishproduce

Strumms wrote: »
    That’s the question. How the hell was the Garda in a situation where he was alone ? An armed Garda who by default will be required to attend dangerous and volatile incidents, who will have a weapon but who in this instance was disarmed and murdered.

Higgins, Leo and all the rest of them can fûck off with their tributes.... he is dead not just because of a bunch of scumbags but because he was asked to do a job where he needed resources, but was denied them and left alone...

I think even worse than this, FG and FF parties as the main governing parties over the years are very responsible here for allowing there to be so many loose canons and unpredictable prior offenders walking the streets.
    Your normal Tom Dick or Harry doesn't shoot a guard. It is always going to be hardened criminal or violent offender.
    There should be sufficient prison spaces to be able to put away those dangerous people who are most likely to leave a young family without their father this weekend.

Get Real wrote: »

Edit: sorry, he got out of prison for killing a Garda in 2015! 4 years! Then in April last year, having been released, drives dangerously and allegedly assaults a Garda. But is bailed. He's currently living in his house until July, the next court date. Madder than I originally thought. Presumed he'd be in custody.
    I have little time for the Gardai but I also don't understand how any of them can be bothered to even do a half-assed job. Scumbags spitting on them with impunity, arresting the same scumbags again and again, no protection from the judiciary and all the rest. Disgusting.

Do we know he was patrolling? Do we know if he was responding to a "live" call? Details aren't out yet, no point speculating too much yet.

Not sure if connected but there is a massive mental health issue in the town that isn't being addressed in fact establishments that could cater to the growing problem are being shut.

Multiple people around my age especially women have taken their own life in the last 5-10 years. I think outside Limerick City nowhere in Ireland has the suicide rate of here in west Roscommon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

GIMP wrote: »
    Says North dublin, no mention of Lusk

It was Lusk.

This is the town that Ming is from.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,328 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I think even worse than this, FG and FF parties as the main governing parties over the years are very responsible here for allowing there to be so many loose canons and unpredictable prior offenders walking the streets.
    Your normal Tom Dick or Harry doesn't shoot a guard. It is always going to be hardened criminal or violent offender.
    There should be sufficient prison spaces to be able to put away those dangerous people who are most likely to leave a young family without their father this weekend.

Where violent crime occurs now in this state we are being fûcked over by the judiciary and elected politicians... wait till it gets to court, the ‘stress’ of covid will have been brought into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

This is the town that Ming is from.

And?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Infernal Racket

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Her comrade Waters is from Castlerea. Wonder he takes the same stance.

What a thundering c**t.

They've split up, big row in the camp apparently. She's poisonous to everything she touches.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,892 ✭✭✭enricoh

Wasn't there a big public protest over the cops in castlerea not so long ago? Is this anyway connected anyone know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭shaveAbullock

enricoh wrote: »
    Wasn't there a big public protest over the cops in castlerea not so long ago? Is this anyway connected anyone know?

It was 2018, I had forgot about that
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/hundreds-protest-in-castlerea-over-men-s-alleged-assault-by-garda-1.3733223

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

If ever a March during Covid was justified, its for this!! Justice system in this country is a joke, I can guarantee when the suspect is named he will have a rake of convictions. no deterrent and no respect towards our Gardaí in this country.

RIP Det Garda Colm Horkan

Fann Linn wrote: »
    And?

This isn’t the fast and the furious, there is no sequel to my post.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

LeBash wrote: »
    I think anyone who kills anyone should be locked up for life.

I feel sorry for the family. If the law keeps allowing people attack who they want and get away with it, certain individuals are just going to escalate it.

AGS are being treated like sh1t on a shoe because no matter what they do to stop, arrest and prosecute crime, the next level of the system fails us all.

The " sentences" are a joke , but surely that is influenced by lack of prison spaces? Which is a political decision?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Niallof9

That's the dangers of arming gardai, it can go both ways. God only knows what he was doing on patrol alone. RIP

detectives have been armed in this country for a very, very long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,743 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

They've split up, big row in the camp apparently. She's poisonous to everything she touches.

Has he fallen out with her over this? What a utterly vile and stupid things of her to say. You can be damn sure if she is ever is in danger she'll want the guards to help her.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,243 ✭✭✭Esse85

Regardless of the situation here, AGS do not get enough training to deal with the level of crap they have to put up with. They don't get enough support, enough resources to do such a stressful job.

In terms of communication skills and physical requirements, how often are AGS trained and monitored?
    Is it a case of there's your badge, off you go to station x?

They need more help to prevent tragic incidents from occurring like this again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

Not sure if connected but there is a massive mental health issue in the town that isn't being addressed in fact establishments that could cater to the growing problem are being shut.

Multiple people around my age especially women have taken their own life in the last 5-10 years. I think outside Limerick City nowhere in Ireland has the suicide rate of here in west Roscommon.

Seems ironic that there was a fine Mental health hospital in Castlerea where the prison now is. One time we had too many mental hospitals and too many in them ...but now to save money we closed most of them and have too little mental hospitals .

Advertisement