Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Had another internet connection put into house

• 18-06-2020 8:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

I recently had another internet connection put into my house for personal use, my problem was with all the people in the house using the internet on Netflix, skyplayer, mobile phones etc I couldn't play game online without lagging really bad when other people used the internet except when everyone was in bed which obviously wasn't ideal. Last night was the first night I tried to play games online and I had the exact same problem I was lagging really bad when I tried to play online while everyone one else was using there devices even though my playstation is the only thing connected to the new line? I'm kinda wondering now have I just ended up with an extra bill that doesn't fix the original problem or what? I checked both lines modem settings and their on separate channels because I read that could be an issue, I don't really know much about any of this besides what I could find online when I looked it up. Any advice what to do?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

Efoley91 wrote: »
    I recently had another internet connection put into my house for personal use, my problem was with all the people in the house using the internet on Netflix, skyplayer, mobile phones etc I couldn't play game online without lagging really bad when other people used the internet except when everyone was in bed
    which obviously wasn't ideal. Last night was the first night I tried to play games online and I had the exact same problem I was lagging really bad when I tried to play online while everyone one else was using there devices even though my playstation is the only thing connected to the new line? I'm kinda wondering now have I just ended up with an extra bill that doesn't fix the original problem or what? I checked both lines modem settings and their on separate channels because I read that could be an issue I don't really know much about any of this besides what I could find online when I looked it up. Any advice what to do?

Do a speed test, what is your speed, especially upload.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Efoley91

Do a speed test, what is your speed, especially upload.

That's the thing at the moment on the playstation it's telling me I have 19.5 mbs up and 920.0 Kbps down. Last night it was saying I had like 3 mbs up and 50 kbps down. Until everyone went to bed then it was around these numbers again but looking at it the upload still looks very low. In the modem settings it says the like should have upto 25 mbs upload and 5.5 mbs download

That's the thing at the moment on the playstation it's telling me I have 19.5 mbs up and 920.0Kbps down

You may have a problem, contact your supplier. That's nearly 20mbits up but only less that 1mbit down. Certainly not enough for gaming If you were using wireless plug ethernet directly into your router and test again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

well if its a gaming thing then the latency on the line is almost more likely the issue than the speed. But thats just as important to check. ie my speed is not great but my latency is pretty up there in the excellent space (using fast.com)

516846.jpg

You may have a problem, contact your supplier. That's nearly 20mbits up but only less that 1mbit down. Certainly not enough for gaming If you were using wireless plug ethernet directly into your router and test again

Yes was using wireless I'm going to have to buy a DSL cable to reach my bedroom and put the modem in here to use it wired, luckily it's just above where the modem is, yeah I usually had about 3 mbs upload on the other line even when I was lagging alot

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,148 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Are you using a wired, or wireless connection to the modem? Are you definitely connected to your new service? If you connect your phone or computer to the new connection, what's the speed like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Yes was using wireless I'm going to have to buy a DSL cable to reach my bedroom and put the modem in here to use it wired, luckily it's just above where the modem is, yeah I usually had about 3 mbs upload on the other line even when I was lagging alot

online gaming uses a lot less bandwidth than you'd think, even your lower figures should be plenty for playing, but obviously wont be great for downloading patches and updates. Packet loss and latency (ping) will be a much better indicator of quality. As the lads said,connecting directly to the router , rather than using wifi will help a lot, and perhaps look into using a set of homeplugs.

MarkR wrote: »
    Are you using a wired, or wireless connection to the modem? Are you definitely connected to your new service? If you connect your phone or computer to the new connection, what's the speed like?

Wireless, just used the speed test site the guy above me posted and it said I have 21 mbs download 4.4 mbs upload and latency was 24 ms unloaded and 64 ms loaded

Don't get a DSL cable, that will slow your speed. Get Ethernet, leave the modem/router where it is. Do you not have a laptop you can borrow to test with plugged in direct

Don't get a DSL cable, that will slow your speed. Get Ethernet, leave the modem/router where it is. Do you not have a laptop you can borrow to test with plugged in direct

Do you think there could be an issue with having to modems pretty much along side each other? Yeah I do I'll try that now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,208 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Did you try a set of home plugs with your existing provider before installing the new line?

I should probably clarify that I don't think my line can handle 25 mbs download or anything above 3 mbs upload because when I rang my provider to see if there wasn't anything I could do with our original connection he told he had our line tuned down a bit so it wouldnt keep cutting out? Again im not really an expert in any of this so if that doesn't make sense my apologies

Do you think there could be an issue with having to modems pretty much along side each other? Yeah I do I'll try that now

Possibly wireless interference. Hence the need for wired speed tests with wireless disabled.

Did you try a set of home plugs with your existing provider before installing the new line?

I thought about buying them but didn't in the end because I just figured it would still be the same, thought a new line would just be the best option

Possibly wireless interference. Hence the need for wired speed tests with wireless disabled.

Ok I ran the connection with its wireless turned off and the laptop connected through ethernet and it basically giving me the same speeds as earlier on my phone. 24 mbs download and 4.1 upload with latency at 21ms unloaded and 69ms loaded

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

It might have been easier to add the Playstation to the QoS list on the original modem so that it gets bandwidth priority.

jester77 wrote: »
    It might have been easier to add the Playstation to the QoS list on the original modem so that it gets bandwidth priority.

Where do I find the option for that in the modem settings? I'm with pure telecom if that helps

Ok I ran the connection with its wireless turned off and the laptop connected through ethernet and it basically giving me the same speeds as earlier on my phone. 24 mbs download and 4.1 upload with latency at 21ms unloaded and 69ms loaded

You need to get Ethernet to that PlayStation, or failing that homeplugs. 24/4 is plenty for gaming

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,667 ✭✭✭✭ted1

When you say second line , what type connections do you have? How did they pull it in ? Might they just have split the original one and hence you are not having the benefit of having two connections

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Where do I find the option for that in the modem settings? I'm with pure telecom if that helps

Not familiar those routers, but google returns this pdf with info on page 113
    https://www.eir.ie/opencms/export/sites/support/.galleries/pdfs/support-pdfs/d1000-eir.pdf

• Advertisement

ted1 wrote: »
    When you say second line , what type connections do you have? How did they pull it in ? Might they just have split the original one and hence you are not having the benefit of having two connections

I think he set up a separate line, I've another box where the DSL go into the wall and he had to go out at manholes etc to run it to the house? I'm just off the phone with my provider he tuned down my line said it was set to fast and basically my line can't handle that so put it down to 15mbs up and 3mbs down. He said it should be more stable now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭stinkypinky

Disable wireless on the second line and use an ethernet cable only. Speed doesn't really matter when it comes to gaming online, as stable latency/ping is what matters.

Connect a laptop with ethernet at peak hours and open a command prompt in Windows. Type the following without the quotes and hit enter

"ping boards.ie - t"

This will run a continuous ping to boards and you'll be able to see if the connection is stable or not. Post results here

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭thenightman

You could have just ran a Cat5e cable from original router to your playstation instead of going to hassle/expense of getting another line in. You can probably still cancel the second line if you're still in the 14 day cooling off period. Connect to 1st router wired and see what speed/latency is. If it's anywhere near the speed/latency on the new router I'd cancel the new connection.

Wifi is really just for casual use like browsing etc, with anything dependent on latency you are always better off connecting to router via wired connection.

Advertisement