Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using a phone as a hotspot: best network?

Options
  • 18-06-2020 8:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭

I have home BroadBand with Vodafone which facilitated WFH until recently, unfortunately the speed can go below 1mb per second, which can cut off my workspace + zoom calls.

I want to have a back up, pref pre-pay option for 20e pm if anything like that people are using currently with an irish provider?

I remember a few years ago that I used three.ie mobile phone tethering and it was unlimited which was great. does anyone still use this option with three?

I was talking to a member of staff form one of their call centers on live chat there, he stated that it is no prohibited/restricted but interested to hear from you guys as they like not to promote it as a service.

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

With some slight variations, tethering is possible on all the networks.

Vodafone X 20e per 28 days for unlimited data but tethering has been a problem for some (depends on the device used and how VF detect tethering). Advertised as speed capped at 10Mbps.

Three 20e per 28 days for unlimited data, tethering included.

48: 9.99 per month for 20GB

Eir PAYG: 20e per 28 days for 80GB

Check that there aren't any problems accessing work systems through the mobile network.

Is it possible to tether off your existing phone plan?

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭detoxkid

Thanks for getting back.

I might try 3.ie and see how it goes. Only lose 20e if it doesn't work.

Mobile is Vodafone.Ie pre pay top up. Web chat rep stated not available or supported.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

detoxkid wrote: »
    Thanks for getting back.

I might try 3.ie and see how it goes. Only lose 20e if it doesn't work.

Mobile is Vodafone.Ie pre pay top up. Web chat rep stated not available or supported.

if you have coverage the ready to go €20 Three plan wont be beat, I have a sim in a 4G router the last few years and it miles ahead of any other connection I can get in this area. Using an old phone to hotspot will do the trick but a 4G router will be a better option in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Did you try it? It can work if the APN is set at live.Vodafone.com

Best to try it out with an active data allowance and without any credit so that credit can't be consumed if it didn't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,622 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Virgin is worth a look, €5 a month for 5 months per Sim on a 30 day contract.
    Totally unlimited data.

https://www.virginmedia.ie/mobile/sim-only/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭g0g

Looking into this myself at the moment.
    When I look at T&C on Virgin it notes specifically no tethering / WiFi hotspot - is this easy enough for them to police and has anyone any experience with it?
    Do Three say they're ok with Tethering or is known to work fine?
    Planning to simply use an old phone as a WiFi hotspot.

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

g0g wrote: »
    Looking into this myself at the moment.
    When I look at T&C on Virgin it notes specifically no tethering / WiFi hotspot - is this easy enough for them to police and has anyone any experience with it?
    Do Three say they're ok with Tethering or is known to work fine?
    Planning to simply use an old phone as a WiFi hotspot.

I have had a Three €20/month unlimited data SIM in a 4G router for the last 2 years. We regularly use 300GB+ of data per month, and not had any issue. Alays half expected to be pulled up on it.

That said, their official unlimited broadband plan is €30/month. Worst case they cut you off and you move on to that plan?

100412.2526@compuserve.com

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭detoxkid

thanks everyone,

ended up going for 3.ie, 10e a month pre-pay , unlimited 4g. better service than my Home broadband in the line.

Advertisement