Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Music quiz

Options
  • 18-06-2020 9:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭

Hi,
    I've been creating quizzes and puzzles every week for our working-from-home staff, to give everyone a sense of still being connected to each other. No prizes or anything, it's just for fun. For example, a list of company logos or country flags that people have to identify. I email them to about 80 staff.

For the next quiz, I was thinking of taking the first 3 or 4 seconds from songs and splicing them together into a single 'track'. The idea is they would need to identify the song from the intro.

I was wondering what people think of this from a legal perspective? Thanks.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Not a problem, as far as I can see, so long as you are not doing this commercially or presenting the "collage" of extracts as a creative work in its own right.

Quoting from copyrighted works for the purpose of criticism, discussion, etc is fine, as long as you only quote a small part of the work. What you're doing is quoting a snippet of the various songs and inviting people to identify them, which is a form of criticism since it invites a consideration of how distinctive, unique, etc the various songs are. The fact that you're presenting all the quotes together doesn't really change matters.

Advertisement