Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

electric vehicles

• 18-06-2020 9:44am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭

probably should be in the motoring forum but anyways , im torn between buying a diesel SUV which makes me feel alive and a full electric which makes me feel like im embracing the future , both are the same price

bar a tesla , arent all those EV pretty dull ?

Comments

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    diesel SUV which makes me feel alive

You must have low standards for feeling alive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭stratowide

Did ya sell the V8 interceptor..?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

If you don't need the range or the space from the SUV why not go electric?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

stratowide wrote: »
    Did ya sell the V8 interceptor..?

Yeah, on adverts.ie, swapped for a week old pair of trackies

You must have low standards for feeling alive.

very low

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

ef62e9ef13f5324c9026d7c2dbc22fec.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Feck Tesla. Get something with a V8 and manual box

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

I saved a fortune on my EV. It’s a golf buggy. Not the fastest and a bit draughty, but it’s a chick magnet.

Feck Tesla. Get something with a V8 and manual box

tesla is too rich for my blood im afraid

its a boring kia niro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

arent all those EV pretty dull ?

We've gotten a few electric cars in work, you'll lose the will to live in one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

If you don't need the range go electric. If you can afford a charge point at home too then it's a no brainer.

I've spent about about €15 on fuel since March with the EV in use five days a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Gwen Cooper

EVs are pretty cool, but like Dan1895 said above, consider what range you need. Also my advice would be, get a home charger. If you're in an apartment and can't have a home charger installed, I wouldn't bother getting an EV at this point.

i dont do a lot of driving , other half has a diesel for her 60 km round trip commute

i would plan to get the home charger , the 2 litre diesel 180 bhp SUV excites me more however

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,479 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I want an electric bike maybe but it's hard to figure out which one I should be getting, the variety in pricing is crazy and I know nothing about them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

EV's are the future for sure, and so are hybrids.

But jesus they are the most dull cars to drive and have zero sex appeal behind the wheel.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,281 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

I want an electric bike maybe but it's hard to figure out which one I should be getting, the variety in pricing is crazy and I know nothing about them!

Highly recommended, and you have the choice of buying one off the shelf (€1600+) or converting an existing bicycle, by simply buying a DIY front hub conversion kit. So many to choose from .....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 385 ✭✭nicol

Get your other half to swap to electric, they'll save money on the commute.

Meanwhile you go for an SUV, but not a diesel, especially if you are not doing much driving with it as you'll run into problems in the long term. Maybe a hybrid?

i dont do a lot of driving , other half has a diesel for her 60 km round trip commute

i would plan to get the home charger , the 2 litre diesel 180 bhp SUV excites me more however

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

its a boring kia niro

They are 200bhp and spin front tyres for fun but yes very dull. How about Kia E Soul? Has a bit more life to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaSa_KbxJ0g

BMW I3 is about as much fun on the road as you get and will race a BMW M3 to 50mph. Carbon body and really nimble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,479 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Highly recommended, and you have the choice of buying one off the shelf (€1600+) or converting an existing bicycle, by simply buying a DIY front hub conversion kit. So many to choose from .....

I've seen decent looking ones in Carrefour in Spain for 600 euros. I think Halfords have one at around that price too. I often see cool looking ones in town that look like the battery is built into the cross bar etc, but I don't know where people are getting them. There's a place called Aer something in Dublin but they are astronomical prices.

krissovo wrote: »
    They are 200bhp and spin front tyres for fun but yes very dull. How about Kia E Soul? Has a bit more life to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaSa_KbxJ0g

BMW I3 is about as much fun on the road as you get and will race a BMW M3 to 50mph. Carbon body and really nimble.

That kia soul is the ugliest thing I've ever seen, reminds me of the car from the Simpsons that homer designed

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Better Than Christ

Sonics2k wrote: »
    But jesus they are the most dull cars to drive and have zero sex appeal behind the wheel.

One of the great con tricks of the automotive industry - the idea that one mass-produced lump of metal and plastic can have more 'sex appeal' than another.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,741 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

They really need to make the price of electric cars more enticing. Still quiet expensive for a middle of the road car with long range battery and space.

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,308 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

That kia soul is the ugliest thing I've ever seen, reminds me of the car from the Simpsons that homer designed

No no, there's universal agreement that the Fiat Multipla is the ugliest car ever produced (fuzzy picture for extra oomph):

02290c2f-fe10-4513-b380-397633a97f07.jpg

OP, how long do you want the car to last? We won't be forced to go EV until 2030 when it's proposed that all petrol and diesel cars will no longer be for sale.

No no, there's universal agreement that the Fiat Multipla is the ugliest car ever produced (fuzzy picture for extra oomph):

02290c2f-fe10-4513-b380-397633a97f07.jpg

OP, how long do you want the car to last? We won't be forced to go EV until 2030 when it's proposed that all petrol and diesel cars will no longer be for sale.

Ten years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

You're all psychos. Want the best of both worlds? A rad looking car, but one that gives you the benefits of cycling a bike with absolutely 0 negative effects on the environment? Then get yourself one of these:

article-2017721-0D1DEF0400000578-126_634x375.jpg

One of the great con tricks of the automotive industry - the idea that one mass-produced lump of metal and plastic can have more 'sex appeal' than another.

I think it's a personal thing, I love engines in general. But there's people out there who think watches can be sexy, or certain types of camera.

I wouldn't say it's a con as such, other than the obscene prices of some cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Better Than Christ

I think it's a personal thing, I love engines in general. But there's people out there who think watches can be sexy, or certain types of camera.

I wouldn't say it's a con as such, other than the obscene prices of some cars.

It always makes me think of Alan Partridge. Sad middle-aged men slagging off perfectly decent cars because they take a perfectly reasonable amount of time to get from 0 to 60, as if it's something that matters.

1v2wAX7IUobN.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

So true hahaha. It's like we're conditioned to care about it but when you take a step back, who actually cares?

It always makes me think of Alan Partridge. Sad middle-aged men slagging off perfectly decent cars because they take a perfectly reasonable amount of time to get from 0 to 60, as if it's something that matters.

I know this might blow your mind, but different people can like different things.

0 to 60 means little to me. I ride a Drag Star 650, I love the sound it makes and how it rides. I've had a few bikes but this one makes me feel good to actually ride it and it is "sexy" to me.

My daily driver is a damn reliable and comfortable Renault Kadjar. It's not a sexy car, but it's a good car.

Also also the irony of bringing up Top Gear when one of the most famous presenters was James May, also known as Captain Slow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭2lazytogetup

as long as the opposite sex buy into it, this is true. ever see an unattractive woman in the passenger side of a ferrari?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭whippet

PHEV - PHEV

at least its not diesel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Fred_

probably should be in the motoring forum but anyways , im torn between buying a diesel SUV which makes me feel alive and a full electric which makes me feel like im embracing the future , both are the same price

bar a tesla , arent all those EV pretty dull ?

What diesel SUV makes you feel alive? Have you tried the electric option?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭blade1

EV's are the future for sure, and so are hybrids.

I like my hybrid.
    Lovely to drive and a nice place to be.

Fred_ wrote: »
    What diesel SUV makes you feel alive? Have you tried the electric option?

Which one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,308 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

It's not just 0-60 though. It's the car in it's totality. I've had a good few cars over the years, from a 1.4 Corolla Saloon, a 2.0 Galant, 1.3 Corolla Hatch, 1.3 Colt, 1.6 Civic Coupe, a 1.5 Almera and a 1.8 S40. Each one of those cars is drastically different to the others. Most were alright, I loved the Galant and S40 as aside from being more powerful, they were extremely comfortable.

I picked up a 2010 E220 Coupe last year, and a week after getting it I had to bring it back because of an AC issue. He was busy so would take a few days, and he gave me a 2014 1.4 Nissan Note for the few days. It was like going from a king size bed to a single bed. There was little to no comfort, and my back was sore after a long drive. Back in the Merc, I could drive non-stop to Germany and my back would be grand.

Just so happens that the more comfortable cars are also more powerful. I don't think I'll buy anything but a Merc again, as the comfort alone is worth the extra.

• Advertisement

bought the EV today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I wouldn’t buy a diesel unless you clock up serious miles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Tuco88

My current car is a Diesel Audi A4 and I love it. It will be a good while yet but my next car will be fully electric or hydrogen hopefully.

I really dont see the point in hybrids, its only a stop gap job. And if you think the reapirs are expensive on Diesels...
    Personally id just get on with it and go fully electric.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 AaronMic95

Hi, I'm a newbie here and I need help in making a decision as I'm considering getting an EV. While doing my research, I read about the SEAI grant for purchasing EVs and installing home chargers. Do you think purchasing an electric vehicle now is a good idea or should I wait for battery prices to go down further and range to increase a bit? One concern I have if I wait is that I'm worried that the grant would no longer be there when I decide to purchase as I've heard they've stopped the grants for companies purchasing EVs. Who knows but this might happen to other grants as well.

If you think I should go for it and buy one, what is the best EV car considering several factors like affordability, performance (range and charge time) and being future-ready? A sedan or a hatchback would be fine. Appearance is not too much of a factor for me as long as it performs well. I was initially choosing between a Renault Zoe, a Hyundai Ioniq or a Nissan Leaf just because of the price. Do you have any insights regarding these cars?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

AaronMic95 wrote: »
    Hi, I'm a newbie here and I need help in making a decision as I'm considering getting an EV. While doing my research, I read about the SEAI grant for purchasing EVs and installing home chargers. Do you think purchasing an electric vehicle now is a good idea or should I wait for battery prices to go down further and range to increase a bit? One concern I have if I wait is that I'm worried that the grant would no longer be there when I decide to purchase as I've heard they've stopped the grants for companies purchasing EVs. Who knows but this might happen to other grants as well.

If you think I should go for it and buy one, what is the best EV car considering several factors like affordability, performance (range and charge time) and being future-ready? A sedan or a hatchback would be fine. Appearance is not too much of a factor for me as long as it performs well. I was initially choosing between a Renault Zoe, a Hyundai Ioniq or a Nissan Leaf just because of the price. Do you have any insights regarding these cars?

I have a 192 Ioniq and love it. I believe the range and features on the 202 ioniq are even better. Currently getting about 205km per charge with the good weather, it is less when it's colder. If your driving is limited to within a few dozen kilometers of your home and your getting a home charger installed, range may not be too much of an issue. If you have a long commute each day or heading down the country at weekend you may need to do more research on the ranges available

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

blade1 wrote: »
    I like my hybrid.
    Lovely to drive and a nice place to be.

Do you live in it?

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

The whole EV “craze” is some craic. Overpaying for an inferior and often impractical product which isn’t all that environmentally friendly is not very clever. Sheep will be sheep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

1v2wAX7IUobN.gif

What do you take joy in, if anything?

I'm sure we can pick a few holes in it.

and dont say your family, vom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Fred_

cournioni wrote: »
    The whole EV “craze” is some craic. Overpaying for an inferior and often impractical product which isn’t all that environmentally friendly is not very clever. Sheep will be sheep.

Anecdotal evidence suggests that most EV owners love their cars and would never go back to inferior ICE cars.

Cars in general are not environmentally friendly but EVs are better than ICE cars on this front.

There are circumstances when an ICE car is more practical but for the majority of journeys EV is preferable.

Not an EV owner.

cournioni wrote: »

what exactly is " inferior " about it ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,907 ✭✭✭daheff

Get a bus ticket instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 688 ✭✭✭kaahooters

the kia nero has an equilivant to 204 bhp and 395Nm torque... so.....

kaahooters wrote: »
    the kia nero has an equilivant to 204 bhp and 395Nm torque... so.....

sure does

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

A diesel car excites you?

Well, it takes all sorts to make a world, but electric would excite me far more than a loud and polluting diesel. Plus fuel and taxes will be going up on diesel soon

• Registered Users Posts: 3,281 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

New EVs are too expensive.

• Advertisement
Advertisement