Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Louvered wall system

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Am interested in this idea!
    So you want it vertical?
    I have not though1 this through yet but it seems to me that a rod or bar fixed across each vertical board might act as the lever to move them all.
    I have not done the math yet so it may not work :)
    maybe light pieces of chain, like off a rosary beads

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

So the obvious problem is if the timber warps will it mess the whole thing up?

Metal dowel pegs top and bottom fine but warp problem so why not brace the middle with a bar that will open and close the louver and is hinged to every upright timber. Trouble is that is a lot of work. However if it is the answer then you could have more than one brace with hinges on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

GinSoaked wrote: »
    So the obvious problem is if the timber warps will it mess the whole thing up?

Metal dowel pegs top and bottom fine but warp problem so why not brace the middle with a bar that will open and close the louver and is hinged to every upright timber. Trouble is that is a lot of work. However if it is the answer then you could have more than one brace with hinges on it.
    I had thought about the bar across the middle to close it alright. I havent reseached how it would attach to each individual piece of tinber to allow movement.
    Im guessing similar to tuese types of shutter

https://static.hillarys.co.uk/asset/media/28281/user-meadow_cottage-date-posted-080120-channel-instagram.jpg?width=330&height=330&mode=crop&cb=20202401113202&mcb=5f884e47a7424cfe86340315ccaafed0

Am interested in this idea!
    So you want it vertical?
    I have not though1 this through yet but it seems to me that a rod or bar fixed across each vertical board might act as the lever to move them all.
    I have not done the math yet so it may not work :)
    maybe light pieces of chain, like off a rosary beads

Yep, vertical is what id want. I dont have the luxury of experimentation so i was hoping for a pre fab system similar to the one in the link.

Imagine all your timbers stood up like dominos (waiting to fall) then place your "brace" along the face so it touches all of them on one side. Now where the brace touches the upright surface mount a small hinge. At one end you will need a bit sticking out to take the last hinge.

• Advertisement

Imagine all your timbers stood up like dominos (waiting to fall) then place your "brace" along the face so it touches all of them on one side. Now where the brace touches the upright surface mount a small hinge. At one end you will need a bit sticking out to take the last hinge.

Would that not prohibit them from closing onto each other. Ill have the back of the timbers rabbited to all the other timber next to it to sit into it and have a shadow gap (if that makes sense)

seannash wrote: »
    Would that not prohibit them from closing onto each other. Ill have the back of the timbers rabbited to all the other timber next to it to sit into it and have a shadow gap (if that makes sense)

No because you are surface mounting the hinges so with the louvers closed they won't get in the way but your bracing/moving timber will be sitting proud a hinge thickness off the louvers.

Imagine it closed up first with the louvers side by side (if you want that) then it might make more sense how the hinge acts as it opens up.

Question: is closed going to leave the louvers overlapping or lined up edge to edge? Overlapping seems easier and edge to edge is bound to leave some gaps and need more tolerance built in for any movement in the timber.

Question: is closed going to leave the louvers overlapping or lined up edge to edge? Overlapping seems easier and edge to edge is bound to leave some gaps and need more tolerance built in for any movement in the timber.
    Overlapping I think. I also need to sit down and sketch it up to see whats what

I think metal dowels could be the way to go in terms of movement. The bar to close will be a bit trickier

• Advertisement

This may sound a bit crude but its one idea to work on.

Firstly I'm thinking of dowel hinges going it at one side of the end of the timber and not in the middle, but middle might be just as good, may a small model with 3 short louvers would show up any obvious design issues.

If you predrilled the ends of your louvers to take the thread of a M6 x 80mm coach bolt then the meaty part of the bolt just under the head would provide the hinge in a slightly over size hole in the header and footer. You could even add washers however the heads on the coach bolts would mean you'd need another facing timber to cover them up.

Alternatively you could have 2 or 3 battens running across the area you are covering and then hinge every louvre to the battens - I'm liking that idea now I come to think of it. The louvers would close over the hinge. With 3 battens your louvers can't really warp and you could contrive a rope or chain closure. Down side is a lot of exposed hinges. Expanding on that you could use the horrible lift off barrel screw hinge that you wouldn't see much of but you'd need a decently deep batten to screw them to. They would be easy to set up a jig for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwY2MN5VD8E&feature=em-uploademail

john just uploaded a video doing something very similar to what you want.
    havnt watched it yet
    its a build video and john can be a bit direct and rough in the way he speaks somtimes.

havnt watched it yet
    its a build video and john can be a bit direct and rough in the way he speaks somtimes.

Wow, thats way more elaborate than id hoped to be 😄
    Very interesting though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 755 ✭✭✭whowantstwoknow

havnt watched it yet

The man is a cowboy.... Just doesn't have the right tools for the job

:-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

The man is a cowboy.... Just doesn't have the right tools for the job

:-)

im on the fence about him. i think he is half genius and have cowboy as you put it.
    i wish he would buy some decent machines and invest his time in building stuff to improve them and build jigs etc. most people are never going to build their own bandsaw or tablesaw, why would they, you can buy a good second hand one for 500-1000 in most cases.

Advertisement