Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buy cheaper and renovate OR buy full finish ??

Options
  • 18-06-2020 11:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi,

Any advice is appreciated :) !

Would you rather buy full finish house in housing estate with sleek finish inside and small standard garden (with neighbor's windows overlooking it?
    or would you buy a completely private detached bungalow with enormous garden at the back, trees and all around (but moderate revonations needed inside- new doors, slide door in the kitchen + carpets/ floors ?

Looking forward to your opinions
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭markfinn

I'd be bungalow all the way.
    But that's because an overlooked estate house (presumably Semi-D?) is a non-starter for me.

Plus, doors, slide door and carpet? I'd be doing at least that much just to personalise even if the existing was brand new.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭WeeCuppaCha

The latter. Finishes can be changed, location and space cannot. Also the finishes for which you pay a premium may not be to your taste. Your description of both properties makes me think you are leaning the same way.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 dilo1992

markfinn wrote: »
    I'd be bungalow all the way.
    But that's because an overlooked estate house (presumably Semi-D?) is a non-starter for me.

Plus, doors, slide door and carpet? I'd be doing at least that much just to personalise even if the existing was brand new.

Yes, the one in housing estate is semi detached

• Registered Users Posts: 9 dilo1992

The latter. Finishes can be changed, location and space cannot. Also the finishes for which you pay a premium may not be to your taste. Your description of both properties makes me think you are leaning the same way.

We are both leaning more towards the bungalow with big private garden.
    But it's our first home and have no experience with properties, so we are bit apprehensive about renovations...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭TheSheriff

dilo1992 wrote: »
    We are both leaning more towards the bungalow with big private garden.
    But it's our first home and have no experience with properties, so we are bit apprehensive about renovations...

To be fair, I wouldn't consider new doors, carpets as renovations really; more cosmetic updates.

You are not knocking walls, building an extension etc

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I've been thinking of same for some time...while looking at snazzy new builds is nice and it would be nice to move into something fresh and new. I would much prefer the renovation option. Can have everything the exact way you want it then (big kitchen, small 'living' space') and you're still moving into something fresh and brand new in the long run. You just have to be prepared mentally and financially for the unexpected!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

The bungalow is by FAR the better option.

One thing that I always think about new builds built today is that they will never be better than they when you move in and everything is new. From that point on, wear and tear begins, gradually things date and eventually it will need redecoration just like any other home. Just becasue its new and fabulous now and its easy to just imagine yourself moving straight in, don't be fooled into thinking it will always be the latest and greatest.

New builds today are generally built to their maximum potential. Its not like in say the 1980's or earlier where houses were built with attic space and maybe a garage to the side which you might convert in future, and a big back garden with room to push out the kitchen. Most new builds are realistically the max that can be fitted on the site, the builder has already done whats possible. You can't really improve upon it or make it flexible should your needs change.

Project houses with good fundamentals (location, plotsize, aspect etc) are always the better choice in my view. Yes, it takes time and money to get them right but what you'll get will be unique to you and meet your requirements but theres typically scope to do work in future that you may not want to do now.

We bought a project house last year. Detached, side access, large site, south facing garden, great south Dublin location.....but disastrous BER, in need of a new roof, dated kitchen and bathrooms, slightly funky layout..... We replaced the kitchen, put down some new flooring and got a new roof which was the big ticket item really. We also did attic insulation when the roof was off. We're hoping to get some painting done soon (hesitant about having workmen in when we're both working from home) but thats all we're going to do for now.

Long term though, we can probably strip back the old house, address all the energy efficiency issues and replaceing the esitisting 1970's extension with a new brighter, bigger and more efficient one.

This house will suit us for years to come. Yes, its going to costs but it will be worth a lot more once the work is done and at least we have scope for it to grow with us rather than it limiting us.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

new doors, slide door in the kitchen + carpets/ floors
    Most people will replace the floors/carpets when they buy a new house.The doors... sometimes. For non-bedroom doors, people are changing the doors from solid doors, to doors with windows on them to allow more light into the house.
    Would you rather buy full finish house in housing estate with sleek finish inside and small standard garden (with neighbor's windows overlooking it?
    or would you buy a completely private detached bungalow with enormous garden at the back, trees and all around
    Would go with big garden. Ability to build a shed at a later stage. Shed can be used for storage, or as an office.

Also, detached cottage = less noise from neighbours banging doors, etc.

Finally, if not already done, look at the cost of transforming the attic of the bungalow into a legal room.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Salanky

Hi,

or would you buy a completely private detached bungalow with enormous garden at the back, trees and all around (but moderate revonations needed inside- new doors, slide door in the kitchen + carpets/ floors ?

I'm currently looking at a detached bungalow that is gonna need a good bit of money put into it. I don't have the biggest budget going but I have plenty of ideas and am in no rush to move in. The kitchen is a shambles with a rotten porch attached to a rotten side door so that will be one of the first things to go. My plan is to knock an arch from the kitchen to the sitting room and put french doors on the back of the house instead of the side door, new kitchen. The electrics and insulation need doing but I'm hoping as its a 1950s house the various grants will apply. Need to move the oil tank away from the house and probably redo the heating. Thats the main things done that I can't do myself. From there its painting, floors and furniture. I'm lucky I'm still living with my parents so it will probably take me to next year to get anywhere close to moving in. Once I'm in theres the huge gardens to deal with and the orchard thats in the back garden. Its gonna take some time to sort out but thats gonna be half the fun of it. I plan to do this once and thats me then for the next few decades so I'm happy to take my time to put my stamp on the place.

A spanky new house in an estate sounds lovely and the thoughts of just picking up and in you go are nice. The drawback for me is the other people practically in your house with you they are built so close together these days. Theres no scope to expand as has been said and even though I'm a dub who is currently spitting distance from dublin airport I can't wait to get out in the countryside and just have peace. The whole covid thing has made me realise just how loud the airport really is and how busy the estate is. Now if the estate agents could get their finger out and start viewings again I'd be a very happy woman.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

Hi,

My gut instinct is the bungalow, but the consideration you'd need to make with that is what works need to be done if it's mainly cosmetic that's great but be wary of things like raising the energy efficiency of it as that cost could skyrocket.

Also the distance to your jobs (I know working from home is ahappening at the moment) etc... No point having a lovely house but commuting a lot and the same goes for after work and weekend activities.

Then think about services, internet, water, sewerage, bins and electricity are those costs going to be significantly higher than the estate, or will you be blocked into only one supplier and then you need to worry about quality.

Just a few thoughts. But I'd still go with the bungalow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭brisan

Salanky wrote: »
    I'm currently looking at a detached bungalow that is gonna need a good bit of money put into it. I don't have the biggest budget going but I have plenty of ideas and am in no rush to move in. The kitchen is a shambles with a rotten porch attached to a rotten side door so that will be one of the first things to go. My plan is to knock an arch from the kitchen to the sitting room and put french doors on the back of the house instead of the side door, new kitchen. The electrics and insulation need doing but I'm hoping as its a 1950s house the various grants will apply. Need to move the oil tank away from the house and probably redo the heating. Thats the main things done that I can't do myself. From there its painting, floors and furniture. I'm lucky I'm still living with my parents so it will probably take me to next year to get anywhere close to moving in. Once I'm in theres the huge gardens to deal with and the orchard thats in the back garden. Its gonna take some time to sort out but thats gonna be half the fun of it. I plan to do this once and thats me then for the next few decades so I'm happy to take my time to put my stamp on the place.

A spanky new house in an estate sounds lovely and the thoughts of just picking up and in you go are nice. The drawback for me is the other people practically in your house with you they are built so close together these days. Theres no scope to expand as has been said and even though I'm a dub who is currently spitting distance from dublin airport I can't wait to get out in the countryside and just have peace. The whole covid thing has made me realise just how loud the airport really is and how busy the estate is. Now if the estate agents could get their finger out and start viewings again I'd be a very happy woman.

Regarding your heating and insulation
    If you can insulate your house to a BER rating of A and install an air to water heat pump (with underground heating ideal for a bungalow)and install solar panels and triple glazed windows you can get a lot of money back in grants.
    If you watched Dermot Bannons Room To Improve you will have noticed he mentioned a 46k grant if certain targets were met
    https://www.seai.ie/

brisan wrote: »
    Regarding your heating and insulation
    If you can insulate your house to a BER rating of A and install an air to water heat pump (with underground heating ideal for a bungalow)and install solar panels and triple glazed windows you can get a lot of money back in grants.
    If you watched Dermot Bannons Room To Improve you will have noticed he mentioned a 46k grant if certain targets were met
    https://www.seai.ie/

I have looked on that site alright and am hoping the builder Im planning to get will have an idea of whats available too. Hes done some great work in the last year or two for my sister so I know his work is good and hes not a cowboy with the costs. Id have to really look into it before I jump cause I dont want to end up not able to finish the work and then not being eligible for the grants.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭brisan

Salanky wrote: »
    I have looked on that site alright and am hoping the builder Im planning to get will have an idea of whats available too. Hes done some great work in the last year or two for my sister so I know his work is good and hes not a cowboy with the costs. Id have to really look into it before I jump cause I dont want to end up not able to finish the work and then not being eligible for the grants.
    I am sure a good architect will know what grants are available
    With a major hike in carbon taxes coming going electric with added solar panels may be the way to go

brisan wrote: »
    I am sure a good architect will know what grants are available
    With a major hike in carbon taxes coming going electric with added solar panels may be the way to go

I want it to be as energy efficient as I can make it. The plan is to try to be as self sufficient as possible so the more energy/heat I can generate cheaply the better.

Then think about services, internet, water, sewerage, bins and electricity are those costs going to be significantly higher than the estate, or will you be blocked into only one supplier and then you need to worry about quality.

Just a few thoughts. But I'd still go with the bungalow

I've got fiber to my house ,couldn't get that in the town. Bins are the same price athough no glass collection ,electric is basically the same,mains water but have a septic tank.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

I personally wouldn’t buy a house in an estate, but I’ve never lived in an estate apart from occasional stints in college etc.
    But I have friends who have always lived in estates and wouldn’t like to live outside of that setting now. A couple of my friends have Husbands who work nights and wouldn’t like to be more isolated.
    Think (a lot) about the location, commute, convenience etc etc before you buy, because you can’t change it!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Depends on the scale of the job, the stuff you have mentioneded op is Mickey mouse stuff, but if it's a near full gutting of the property , it wont be everyone's cup of tea...

Advertisement