Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repairing an electrical back box

Options
  • 18-06-2020 11:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭

Hi,

We got some work done and the person doing it broke a tab in one of the electrical back boxes. It's not currently a big deal as the remaining screw is holding tight and the plugs using it are not frequently changed.
    However, I would like to repair it.

There seems to be a number of ways of doing this from tapping out the back of the box and using an extra long screw to putting on a new tab with chemical weld (J B Weld).

However, I've noticed on a popular internet auction site the following two items:
    86-Type-Dark-Box-repair-screw-manganese-steel-replace-old-Junction-box-fixed-wall-Switch-Socket.jpg

611vdhEwj%2BL._AC_SY450_.jpg

Has anybody tried either of these on steel back boxes or recommended either of them?

Thanks.

Comments

I've never seen those before .
    is it on a stud wall or a masonry wall?
    If its stud sometimes you can disconnect everything and drop the box into the cavity then push the cables out of the way,
    Wiggle a new box into the hole
    then once its in the wall get the cables in and move it into position.

If its masonry you can drill a 6mm hole through the backbox (drill the steal with a HSS bit first) where the faceplate screw would meet the back box.
    Put a red plug in and get the right length 3.5mm machine screw and go through the faceplate and into the red plug.
    So the 3.5mm socket screw is effectively screwed into the wall not the box.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Masonry wall.
    These would have been a simple fix.

I'll try door number 1.

Advertisement