Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Danny Masterson ( Hyde from that 70s show ) charged with rape of three women

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Beefcake82

so basically u have nothing reasonable why the verdict is unsafe.

There was clearly enough evidence for conviction on 2 charges.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,925 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

• Registered Users Posts: 6,412 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

I find it a bit uncomfortable that there doesn’t seem to have been any concrete evidence bar the testimony from the victims, unless I missed this so happy to be corrected.

Well if the jury convicted him then it was factually proven beyond a reasonable doubt. Pending appeals of course.

Those 4 who wrote him letters are apparently scientologists; Ashton and Mila and Debra Jo too (from Getty Images) idk about Kurtwood Russel specifically.

They turned about and apologized for the letter after one of Mastersons victims wrote on social media last night/this morning scolding Ashton by allegedly reminding him she was a witness to a speakerphone convo he was having with masterson that was apparently within the period of time Ashton's then girlfriend was brutally murdered by a long time serial killer:

Unclear which old interviews in particular she means, Kunis must have given 1000s of interviews over the past 25 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,074 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Do you realize how heavily the scales are weighed against women when it comes to sexual attacks?

Not only are they more at risk because of the general physical strength disparity, but also the general burden of 'beyond a reasonable doubt' that is the case within the justice system and how in so many cases, all that exists in terms of evidence is often the words of the parties.

If you're saying that concrete evidence that is necessary for a solid conviction, what exactly do you mean by that because it is likely than any increase in demands would mean the conviction rates will drop even further. And I'm not suggesting we convict solely on the word of one person, but when it comes to you feeling uncomfortable, I think considering the bigger picture is necessary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,978 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I was sure Ashton was a kaballah follower with ex wife Demi Moore

I had expected new or least clear evidence on the basis of it being a retrial for allegations that happened 2 decades ago.

It seems flimsy but maybe Scientology’s involvement worked against him in the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,856 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

One of the cases literally didn't go ahead at the time due to the scientologists producing 50 affidavits(all scientologists) against the woman and handing them to the police. That involvement did hold a greater role in second trial from what I gather but makes sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,414 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I think it's beyond time to bring in what has been proposed here in Ireland recently; where those who write letters on behalf of sex offenders asking for leniency or just in general support should be made to read those letters in court, in front of the judge and the victims.

It's easy to write a letter when asked and send it in. Let's see people stand behind their words in public view. I guarantee Kutcher and Kunis would have decided against it. They only sent in the letters thinking it'd never be made public.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭Homelander

Their new explainer/apology video is so strange.

Ashton comes off fine, in the sense that he comes off natural I mean.

Mila looks and sounds like the cameraman has a gun pointed at her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Be right back

I would think Mila was still quite young when this was filmed.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Rape is tried before the Central Criminal Court so Martin Nolan wouldn’t have even tried the case.

Tell me you know f*ck all about the justice system without telling me you know **** all about the justice system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,414 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Saw a clip from an old interview both of them did where Kunis said she was 14 when she had her first kiss with Kutcher on the show (which was also her first kiss in real life), and Masterson bet Kutcher about 20dollars that he wouldn't slip her the tongue, so Kutcher did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Be right back

I saw a twitter thread where someone put old clips of Kutcher and Masterson up. Sleazy is the least to be said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,357 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Wasn't aware of this case until the verdict. It sounds dodgy as ####. I read in the first trial the jury were leaning towards not guilty before the mistrial.

Events that happened 20 years ago, no evidence, convicted on the testimony of what sounds like dodgy people. And I'm wondering what's the possibly motivation for this trial? I've seen Scientology mentioned. California is a ###### up state when it comes to trials. I'm thinking Masterson can't be loaded, haven't heard of him really other than That 70's Show. Which was what, 2 decades ago now, slightly more?

Let me guess, the victims have a separate civil case against Masterson AND Scientology? I don’t know, I heard 2 of the victims were members, as was Masterson. And I've seen scientology being mentioned here. But I haven't heard anyone mention civil case. So maybe I'm wrong, but the US is such a litigious country, particularly California.

I don’t care for Scientology, always sounded bizarre. And if Masterson is guilty, well good enough for him. Not surprised by some of the comments here or from certain members though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,613 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

Disgusted by them both.

Ashton co-founded a charity with Demi Moore to support victims of child sex abuse, but writes a character reference asking for leniency for a serial rapist?

Guess they think its different when the rapist is a old mate, and the victims are adults - and they thought only the judge would see the letters.

Post edited by Ezeoul on

• Advertisement

It colors it as him as doing those things, forming charities etc. at least in part to protect his reputations from things he did/things he abided or abetted. So, if it comes up later, 'what no, Ashton, the anti-human trafficker? Wobble your head.'

Typical example of the inaccurate posts on here. Show me where they said "Masterson is not a threat NOW" please? Kutcher said Danny isn't an ongoing harm to society, acknowledging the verdict of the court, but not necessarily that he agrees with it.

"While I'm aware that the judgment has been cast as guilty on two counts of rape by force and the victims have a great desire for justice. I hope that my testament to his character is taken into consideration in sentencing. I do not believe he is an ongoing harm to society and having his daughter raised without a present father would be a tertiary injustice in and of itself. Thank you for taking the time to read this." - Ashton Kutcher

"The fact that Kutcher said this knowing that his friend is guilty of these crimes"

Kutcher and many of the other character statements haven't said Masterson is guilty. They are statements to the person they know personally, it is not about the case or the alleged victims, and I don’t think they should have to apologize for them either. You see this everywhere now, if you're not going with the biased media agenda, you'd better say sorry at the least, or we'll try to have you cancelled, even if you do, we still might try to have you cancelled. Some people on here are no better than the trash tabloids. I think I will post Ashton's and Mila's statements in full so people here don't try and put slant on it or take them out of context.

I'm not saying Danny is guilty or innocent, though I have massive misgivings around the verdict.

Show me where they said "Masterson is not a threat NOW" please? Kutcher said Danny isn't an ongoing harm to society

User did not make any verbatim "quote"; and agreeing that the claim was he is not an ongoing harm to society is the same semantic thing as saying he is not a threat now.

By putting NOW in capitals, they are as good as. It's misrepresenting what Kutcher actually said and it is not semantics, saying NOW implies that Masterson has changed his ways and again is not what Kutcher said.

By putting NOW in capitals, they are as good as.

uhm LOL no. 🤣 it's even regardless, a true statement, that is what the letter intends to message to the judge and society.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 78,282 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Posts deleted. Stick to the topic. The topic is not transgenderism

• Advertisement

The character statements of Aston Kutcher and Mila Kunis for Danny Masterson.

Honorable Judge Olmedo,

My name is Ashton Kitcher, I am an actor, investor, philanthropist, and most importantly a father. I met Danny Masterson when I was 20 years old in 1998. He instantly became a friend, dedicated co-worker, and role model to me. And has remained as such for 25 years.

As a friend, Danny has been nothing but a positive influence on me. He's an extraordinarily honest and intentional human being. Over the 25-year relationship I don't ever recall him lying to me. He's taught me about being direct and confronting issues in life and relationships head-on, resolving them, and moving forward.

Danny is a person that is consistently there for you when you need him. We've traveled around the world together, raised our daughters together, and shared countless family moments. Not only is he a good friend to me, I've witnessed him to be a good friend to others and the kind of brother others would be lucky to have.

As a role model, Danny has consistently been an excellent one. I attribute not falling into the typical Hollywood life of drugs directly to Danny. Any time that we were to meet someone or interact with someone who was on drugs, or did drugs, he made it clear that that wouldn't be a good person to be friends with. And for me, that was an implication that if I were to do drugs, he wouldn't want to be friends with me, which is something I never would want to risk or jeopardize.

I am grateful to him for that positive peer pressure. He also set an extraordinary standard around how you treat other people. There was an incident where we were at a pizza parlor and a belligerent man entered who was berating his girlfriend. We had never met or seen these people before, but Danny was the first person to jump to the defense of this girl. It was an incident he didn't have to get involved in but proactively chose to because the way this man was behaving was not right.

He has always treated people with decency, equality, and generosity. After 9-11, Danny was a huge advocate for support of the firefighters affected by the event, rallying his friends and co-workers to pitch in however they could. Danny had his daughter a year before I had mine. He set a standard of being a hands-on dad. We have spent countless hours together with our kids and he is among the few people that I would trust to be alone with my son and daughter. He's also a dedicated and loyal husband with an unwavering commitment to his wife.

We have spent hundreds of hours working together. Danny takes his job seriously. He is kind, courteous, and hard-working. He treated everyone from the grips to the teamsters to the actors to the caterers as equals. He showed up on time all the time and always pulled his weight. We have also traveled around the world together promoting our work. I can honestly say that no matter where we were, or who we were with, I never saw my friend be anything other than the guy I have described.

While I'm aware that the judgment has been cast as guilty on two counts of rape by force and the victims have a great desire for justice. I hope that my testament to his character is taken into consideration in sentencing. I do not believe he is an ongoing harm to society and having his daughter raised without a present father would be a tertiary injustice in and of itself. Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Mila's statement.

To the Honorable Judge Olmedo,

I am writing this character letter on behalf of my dear friend, Danny Masterson, with whom I have had the privilege of sharing a significant part of my life. My name is Mila Kunis, and I am an actress, and I believe it is essential to share the remarkable influence Danny has had on my life and the lives of others.

I first met Danny during our time working together on That 70's Show, and from the very beginning, I could sense his innate goodness and genuine nature. Throughout our time together, Danny has proven to be an amazing friend, confidant, and, above all, an outstanding older brother figure to me. His caring nature and ability to offer guidance have been instrumental in my growth both personally and professionally.

One of the most remarkable aspects of Danny's character is his unwavering commitment to discouraging the use of drugs. His influence on me in this regard has been invaluable. In an industry where the pressures and temptations of substance use can be overwhelming, Danny played a pivotal role in guiding me away from such destructive paths. His dedication to avoiding all substances has inspired not only me but also countless others in our circle. Danny's steadfastness in promoting a drug-free lifestyle has been a guiding light in my journey through the entertainment world and has helped me prioritize my well-being and focus on making responsible choices. His genuine concern for those around him and his commitment to leading by example make him an outstanding role model and friend.

Danny's role as a husband and father to his daughter has been nothing short of extraordinary. Witnessing his interactions with his daughter has been heartwarming and enlightening. He prioritizes his family, education, and happiness above all else, demonstrating his unwavering commitment to being a loving and responsible parent. As a father, he leads by example, instilling in her values that reflect integrity, compassion, and respect for others.

Moreover, Danny has consistently displayed a profound sense of responsibility and care for those around him. He demonstrates grace and empathy in every situation, be it within the entertainment industry or in our personal lives. His steady support and understanding presence make him a reliable source of guidance and comfort for all of us.

Danny Masterson's warmth, humor, and positive outlook on life have been a driving force in shaping my character and the way I approach life's challenges. His unwavering commitment to being an exceptional older brother figure has had a transformative impact on my life, instilling in me a sense of self-belief and encouraging me to aim for greatness, but all while maintaining a sense of humility.

In conclusion, I wholeheartedly vouch for Danny Masterson's exceptional character and the tremendous positive influence he has had on me and the people around him. His dedication to leading a drug-free life and the genuine care he extends to others makes him an outstanding role model and friend. Please feel free to reach out if you require any further information or clarification.

Ashton Kutcher and Mila Kunis apologise for letters supporting rapist Danny Masterson:

Criticism for the apology video and the support letters circulated online throughout the weekend. Chrissie Carnell Bixler, one of Masterson’s victims, condemned the couple in an Instagram Story post.

“In my opinion, you’re just as sick as your ‘mentor,’” she wrote of Kutcher. She added that Kunis should start processing her experience on “That ’70s Show” and seek therapy.

Sharp. Witty. Thoughtful. Sign up for the Style Memo newsletter.

Others on social media alleged that Kutcher had shown questionable behavior in the past, specifically pointing to a 2003 video of the actor speaking on his MTV show “Punk’d” about actress Hilary Duff. In the video, Kutcher says Duff, who was a minor at the time, is “one of the girls that we’re all waiting for to turn 18. Along with the Olsen twins.”

Representatives for Kutcher and Kunis did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Kutcher and Kunis are the latest celebrities to see backlash on social media for writing character letters. In August, social media was quick to criticize rapper Iggy Azalea for writing a support letter for Tory Lanez, who was sentenced to 10 years in the shooting of rapper Megan Thee Stallion. Azalea reportedly asked the judge for a “transformational and not life destroying” sentencing in her letter.

Azalea apologized amid the backlash, saying she did not know her letter would become public.

“I was told this was for a judge only, yet it’s being discussed in public?” she said in a post on X, formerly known as Twitter. “I never intended to publicly comment.”

Oh great. Thread has descended to copy pasting anonymous posters opinions.

As surprising as your compulsive responses to my posts.

I thought the screenshots informed the reporting but thats valid critique and ive removed the images.

• Advertisement

Nothing compulsive here. The clear pattern is every rape conviction is questionable because you haven’t seen any evidence.

It’s genuinely very odd and dangerous behaviour.

It is dangerous to ask what evidence was provided?

In every rape case?

Don’t forget you said you asked why a video of a woman being sexually assaulted wasn’t leaked or out there for people to judge for themselves.

Yes, you are dangerous.

Rape is significantly difficult to prove. A jury has found him guilty beyond a reasonable doubt. They came to that conclusion having heard all of the evidence.

The evidence you read in articles is only a fraction of what’s presented.

I am not dangerous as I have a high sense of control.

Re-read my posts here. I have not questioned the jury or its decision. I asked what evidence was provided because previous attempts had not convinced the jury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,978 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

They had to come out and say something as I believe a victim or their family called them out

They didn't think the letters would be made public and now they are in the doghouse and imho rightly so

Their video "apologise" is just bs, no sincereity, seems like a failed script audition

Danny's missus Bijou also wrote a letter, saved her from drugs

I notice that the Eric actor Topher Grace didn't write any letter and refused any kissing scenes with young Mila

Anyone doing these support letters should be made read out in person in court

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,604 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I've often wondered about character references. If you knew someone for 20 years and had lots of experience of them, what should you do if they ask you to just say what you know about them? Say what your experience of them is or not? I honestly don't know.

They didn't dispute the verdict or the evidence against DM. They just said what they know about him. If that's how the law works then I'm not inclined to have a go at them. I don't like the idea, I hope nobody I know ever commits a terrible crime like that and I hope I'm never asked to give a positive character reference for someone in that position.

I'm not sure character references should be a part of it, but given they are part of it, I'm inclined to just accept it and move on.

His unwavering commitment to being an exceptional older brother figure has had a transformative impact on my life, instilling in me a sense of self-belief and encouraging me to aim for greatness, but all while maintaining a sense of humility.

Here's her insisting that this unwavering older brother figure with innate goodness she sensed immediately, bet $10 to Ashton Kutcher (19) that he wouldn't stick his tongue in her (14) mouth during a kiss (her first ever kiss) for shoot on 70's show. On the first week of shooting.

Ashton: "And I'm like thinking, like, this is slightly illegal, right?"

Rosie O'Donnell: "And then the cops showed up and you got arrested, pretty much?"

Ashton Kutcher: "They should have! But they didn't."

Kunis tells her version of events with so much certainty that she interrupts & corrects Ashton when he recounts the story with the wrong dollar amount.

Her whole letter and his makes, a big stink of trying to paint Masterson as antidrug and gaslighting the findings of the trial which found Masterson serially raped all his victims with date rape drugs.

Danny's steadfastness in promoting a drug-free lifestyle has been a guiding light in my journey through the entertainment world

So steadfast he popularized their use on 70's show, something someone steadfastly Nancy-Reagan about drugs would definitely do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,386 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

That's fine. It's part of the process. They are meant to provide the judge with some perspective when sentencing. I was just reading that Mila Kunis and Asthon Kuchner provided similar letters to the judge in this case. They didn't seem to make much difference.

I could imagine a case where the charges were lesser and this making a difference. But in cases where the charges were worse, then it wouldn't matter.

Maybe they like the Saudi way of doing things where there have to be two male witnesses.

The sentence was long. But we don't know if things like character references has an effect. Maybe without hearing anything positive about the convicted person, the judge would have put even more harsh conditions. On the sentence. Longer period without parole, a higher security prison. I don't pretend to know how the judges weigh these statements, but if they're given in evidence then the judge has to include them in the sentencing calculations.

Character references are either part of the process or they aren't. In this case they are, so I'd just accept that and not have a pop at the people who give them. They're just giving their evidence to a court. Now that we've seen the references in full, we know they didn't attempt to dispute any evidence prosecution or the victim gave. I don't like it, but it's just the legal process that I don't like.

• Advertisement

We know it didn't because the prosecutor asked for the maximum and he got the maximum. (I think I'm remembering that correctly). Plus whenever a judge gives a sentance he has to include the reasons for it.

That's why people get outraged when someone here gets let off because they get a letter from the priest. The judge has to give his reasoning why it's X years instead of Y years,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,119 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

This is spot on. The legal system (here, and evidently in the US) has - for better or worse - character references as part of the sentencing process. Vilifying people for engaging in this process seems odd.

The fact that very few people want to face up to is that the vast majority of people who commit even heinous acts like rape and murder do have other sides to them,and in many cases, those sides can actually be very positive. That's not to excuse them for their crimes at all - but it is to recognise the almost astounding complexity of human behaviour.

I personally know someone who was tired for murder. They pled guilty to manslaughter, and were convicted of that. I won't go into the details, but it was a terrible, shocking, senseless crime for which there was absolutely no excuse at all, and some frankly repulsive aggravating factors. Yet, that very same person who committed this absolutely awful act is also one of the most pleasant, helpful and obliging people I know. Up to the day before they committed their crime, there isn't a person in the world who would have even thought for a second that they were capable of doing what they did. They had never done anything at all to harm anyone prior to this. Now, I wasn't asked for a character reference and if I was, I don't know if I would have given one. But if I had been, I could have - with total and absolute honesty - written about what a good person they were. Because that was my 100% honest and exclusive experience of this person for decades.

It's very easy for us to read about a convicted criminal and just put them into the "bad" box and move on. Even if we hear that they were described as a good person, we can easily cynically dismiss that - maybe even as some kind of deliberate front, which only serves to amplify their wickedness. But I guarantee that your thoughts on this matter would be quite different if you knew the person yourself, and you knew that they did indeed have some very good and admirable qualities. Fortunately, most people don't have to experience this agonising turmoil in their lives.

Like I said, personally, I don't think character references should be part of the process at all - just as the trial is exclusively held on the evidence of the case, so should the sentencing. And, from a practical sense, I really don't understand high profile people (politicians, community leaders, celebs, etc) who engage in character references - it never works out well for them.

But while they are an official part of the legal process, why vilify them for being a part of it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭jj880

I agree character references shouldnt be allowed. To me its like a victim pile on from the perp's pals and family. Let the evidence do the talking.

So how do we go about getting them removed from the legal process?

If character references shouldn't be used, should previous bad behaviour be considered in sentencing should previous convictions be considered and good behaviour be ignored because those things don't show up on records. Genuine question.

That's a good question, and something I hadn't considered.

My gut reaction to it is that previous convictions are a statement of fact, and character references are statements of opinion - so maybe the comparison between the two as opposite equivalents isn't so valid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,901 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Probation reports would be largely opinion too TBF.

Should we get rid of them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,387 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Shouldn't they perhaps be used as part of the actual trial rather than at the sentencing stage?

At sentencing, the verdict has been reached and the person has been found guilty.

Why should the court at that stage factor in if a person was an 'outstanding brotherly figure' once they have been convicted of heinous crimes?

I do find it a little odd.

If we don't even look for anything except previous convictions, then we're just looking for dirt on the person amd that doesn't seem right either. Character references are surely opinion based, but thats pretry much all we have because there isn't a favt based register of good works. Those things just aren't recorded. If they're trying to get a rounded view of the person before sentencing, then I really don't see how else they can do it. Famous people will have a public profile of charity works and so on, but normal people don't.

It's messy. That's why I'm not inclined to have a pop at people who just take part in the process and give their honest evidence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

100% right. Family member of mine committed a terrible crime. It was even in the news for several days. Noone believed he did it because he wasnt that type of person. Lots of people including the local priest and some of his teachers wrote lovely character references about him.

All the while none of us believed that he could have been capabvle of such a crime, or any crime, until all the evidence and details came out in the trial and the media afterwards and we had to acceot it like a slap in your face to wake you up. Many of his referees, had they known what they know today, would never have written such a reference. These references are point in time references from a single vantage point. and the person may be an angel in their eyes up to the day it is proved that they arent.

• Advertisement

I don't know, tbh. The probation process is very much separate to the sentencing one. The Probation Service works under defined rules and procedures, with everything documented and available for potential scrutiny and challenge. That's not the case with character references.

Advertisement