Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Living in Sunday's Well

Options
  • 18-06-2020 3:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I spent my teens and early 20's in Cork, my wife is from the West. We currently live in Dublin but are truly sick of it and paying through the nose for a box that we're forced to spend 24hrs a day in has only exacerbated our dislike of our 'hamster wheel' lifestyle.

We've decided to buy in Cork. We were looking at Douglas, St Lukes, Blackrock. We'd like a neighbourhood that's established rather than a new build in an estate.

There's a couple of houses for sale with potential in Sundays Well area - what's it like (amenities, bars, cafe's (I see Vikki's on google maps, looks nice), parks, locals (it's middle class it seems)??

I don't know the area really as I grew up in Bishopstown/Ballincollig area but I always thought it looked cool up on the hill from the Mardyke...

Thanks in advance to anyone who might take the time to read and respond.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭RINO87

I don't live there, but walk or jog a bit around the area. It looks nice, and is a handy walk or cycle to town (traffic is awful, so don't drive if you don't need to).... but what really strikes me is there is absolutely nothing there apart from houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭bingo9999

From someone who doesnt live there but passes through a lot I always consider Sundays well to be nice, Im sure you know but its got a feeling of being old, like the original Cork. That said the main road through it is unfortunately a bit rat runny, its mostly just doors or gate entrances into houses up or down the hill. There's Vikki's which I hear is nice, and an Indian but not too much else. There used to be a convenience store that closed down but actually just saw scaffolding going up on the building again in last week, so who knows what is being done with it.

I would say a major plus for me of Sundays well would be having one of the houses that is built into the hillside and maybe has a garden that goes down to the river and overlooks Fitzgeralds park. There is the Shaky bridge thats about to reopen that gives good access to Fitz park, and the UCC mardyke gym if thats of interest. Pubs wise I cant think of much, you wouldnt be much of a walk to the Franciscan Well on the edge of town, or maybe cut up to Blarney street. Cant speak to the middle class point but I would guess so yes, probably a mix of historically well to do people in the big houses, or maybe a big family or group of students or workers making use of their size.

Hope thats some use

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

I currently rent on the periphery of Sunday's Well, closer to the city end. The main road through it is not pleasant and does not feel safe (in terms of traffic as opposed to the people that hang around) to walk through in my view. Bars/restaurants/shops are limited in my opinion, but it's grand as I am on the city end. You have the benefit of being close to Mardyke/Fitzgerald's Park/Lee Fields for walks & leisure.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭bettyoleary

Pen Rua wrote: »
    I currently rent on the periphery of Sunday's Well, closer to the city end. The main road through it is not pleasant and does not feel safe (in terms of traffic as opposed to the people that hang around) to walk through in my view. Bars/restaurants/shops are limited in my opinion, but it's grand as I am on the city end. You have the benefit of being close to Mardyke/Fitzgerald's Park/Lee Fields for walks & leisure.
    You would prob need at least 400 thousand to buy any house in Sundays Well. Then you would need that again to make it habitable. You are 10 mins away from a massive council estate. Knocknaheeny, Churchfield etc etc. The roads are filthy dirty. There are no amenities, closest city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭bettyoleary

You would prob need at least 400 thousand to buy any house in Sundays Well. Then you would need that again to make it habitable. You are 10 mins away from a massive council estate. Knocknaheeny, Churchfield etc etc. The roads are filthy dirty. There are no amenities, closest city centre.
    That is the truth. Why do you want to live in these areas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭bingo9999

Thats way overly negative, theres nothing relevant about knocknaheeny to Sundays Well, its a very safe area, never heard of spillover your implying. Filthy roads? What road isnt filthy..? And they can make their own call on condition of the house

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Sunday's Well is a lovely part of the city; it's one of the areas I focused on when buying my place (eventually bought in the city centre). Some lovely town-like areas there (Buxton Hill, Strawberry Hill)

The valid criticisms are there's really just one narrow through road, and there aren't many amenities around. It's very handy for the Mardyke, but for shops/restaurants etc. you have nothing. (Then again, if you're coming from Dublin your sense of scale might be different. It's only a mile from the bottom of - say - Buxton Hill to Patrick St.)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

I lived there for a year, on the higher side of the road just past St. Vincent's in a lovely old Victorian townhouse that had been split into apartments. Incredible views over UCC and lots of the city, worth it for that alone IMO.

There's not much in the immediate area in terms of facilities, it's a very long road though so depends where you are on it. One pub since Annie's closed, a nice cafe close to Wellington Bridge, and a butcher in the middle, I'm not sure if that's still there. But with a short walk we could have been in Fitzgerald's Park and The Mardyke or everything in town. I used to do a short cycle to town once a week and do my shopping or get it on my way home from work if my lift was doing theirs. If you're car dependent I'd try to get somewhere with off street parking, though my housemate always managed to find a spot. Traffic can be bad but it's relatively confined to Apple's shift hours and easily avoided.

Plenty of houses with families up there so they must find it suitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Captainsatnav

My thinking is that of development takes place on the Good Shepherd site amenities and local regeneration will follow...?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,007 ✭✭✭opus

I live in Shandon so Sundays Well is one of my jogging routes. Always thought it was a nice area, some very interesting looking older houses there. Friend of mine from the city was telling me one of his classmates in secondary school lived there in a house with a pool in the basement!

Not a huge amount of amenities as others have said but not exactly far from town.

That hill though :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Sonrisa

TheChizler wrote: »
    I lived there for a year, on the higher side of the road just past St. Vincent's in a lovely old Victorian townhouse that had been split into apartments. Incredible views over UCC and lots of the city, worth it for that alone IMO.

There's not much in the immediate area in terms of facilities, it's a very long road though so depends where you are on it. One pub since Annie's closed, a nice cafe close to Wellington Bridge, and a butcher in the middle, I'm not sure if that's still there. But with a short walk we could have been in Fitzgerald's Park and The Mardyke or everything in town. I used to do a short cycle to town once a week and do my shopping or get it on my way home from work if my lift was doing theirs. If you're car dependent I'd try to get somewhere with off street parking, though my housemate always managed to find a spot. Traffic can be bad but it's relatively confined to Apple's shift hours and easily avoided.

Plenty of houses with families up there so they must find it suitable.

The butcher is gone, and the cafe down by the river near wellington bridge is sadly gone too. And is there another pub? You have Vikki's and the Indian restaurant. But like was said above, I would be hopefully things would open up when new apartments go in.

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Captainsatnav

Thanks all, I think the house is around Buxton Hill area

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Sonrisa wrote: »
    The butcher is gone, and the cafe down by the river near wellington bridge is sadly gone too. And is there another pub? You have Vikki's and the Indian restaurant. But like was said above, I would be hopefully things would open up when new apartments go in.
    At the bottom of Winters Hill but looks like that's gone too!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Slim Charles

TheChizler wrote: »
    At the bottom of Winters Hill but looks like that's gone too!

If you're referring to the Avenue, its gone with quite a while, at least 2.5 years

Advertisement