Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lifespan of helmet

Options
  • 18-06-2020 4:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭

I know this comes up regularly on bike forums. Whats the life span of helmets ?

I have a couple of helmets, one is my favourite AGV AX-8 Carbon. The liner is a bit stinky and is falling apart. When I took it out the manufacturing date was 08/2014. I know about the myth that they last 3 years etc but is there any truth and does it apply to carbon fiber ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,981 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Is it still a snug fit. Can you replace the pads? If its moving a bit, its probably time for an upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭D3V!L

GBX wrote: »
    Is it still a snug fit. Can you replace the pads? If its moving a bit, its probably time for an upgrade.

Shell is as good as it was on the day I got it. Not a mark on it. The pads I have on order just now.

D3V!L wrote: »
    Shell is as good as it was on the day I got it. Not a mark on it. The pads I have on order just now.

Should be grand for another while so with new pads. So long as the integrity of the shell was never effected.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Fabio

Sorry D3V!L, it's likely that the lid needs replacing at this stage.

It's not so much the outer shell that's the issue, that might still be fine, it's the energy absorbing foam behind the outer shell that starts to harden after a few years. As it hardens it's unable to absorb the energy in a spill. Your head relies more on the energy absorbing properties of that foam rather than the hard outer shell.

Shark give a 5 year warranty on their helmets with the expectation that, after 5 years of use, it needs to be replaced.

Its had about 2 years of wear at most , would this have a bearing ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Mjolnir

At most 5 years, the materials degrade at that point to where they may no longer be able to sufficiently dissipate the shock of an impact.
    No wearing for only 2 makes no odds its the degrading of materials with age as well as usage.
    Rule is 5 years max or any real impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭H_Lime

I know this comes up regularly on bike forums. Whats the life span of helmets ?

I have a couple of helmets, one is my favourite AGV AX-8 Carbon. The liner is a bit stinky and is falling apart. When I took it out the manufacturing date was 08/2014. I know about the myth that they last 3 years etc but is there any truth and does it apply to carbon fiber ?

Every now and again I give me helmet a wash in the shower hahaha. I use mild soap. Its not social to have a stinky helmet devil!!!

H_Lime wrote: »
    Every now and again I give me helmet a wash in the shower hahaha. I use mild soap. Its not social to have a stinky helmet devil!!!

I know, mine wiffed a fair bit. My missus walked in on me when I had it I my hand and she was like what's the smell in here !!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Take the liner out and wash it with shampoo, I've done it a few times and it makes a big difference.
    Dry it thoroughly before refitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭colm_c

What do you guys do with old helmets?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭Alkers

I had a good chat with one of the shark technicians at one of the cotters open days on this topic.
    He was saying that a lid should be replaced after five years and that the two things that cause them to degrade are sunlight when you're wearing it and wear and tear from you sweating, breathing, taking it on and off etc. At the time I was commuting daily so I didn't ask him about shelf life if not being used but it would make sense if kept dry and clean that it would last longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Turn the helmet upside down and use it for a hanging basket with a few nice flowers near you man cave (Shed)

The oils from your head get into the liner and from there start attacking the EPS foam, its all oil based resin and plastic.
    5 yrs @500 is only 100 per year for protecting the computer that runs the rest of the system.
    3.65 per day isn't that bad is it?
    or 1.5 coffees if you want to think about it like that.

CJhaughey wrote: »
    The oils from your head get into the liner and from there start attacking the EPS foam, its all oil based resin and plastic.
    5 yrs @500 is only 100 per year for protecting the computer that runs the rest of the system.

Its ok, my head is old too :D

If it lasts 5 years its about €0.2738 per day at €500 really is nothing if ya spread the price out like that
    Save €1 a day and you'd buy 3 after 5 years.

I know, mine wiffed a fair bit. My missus walked in on me when I had it I my hand and she was like what's the smell in here !!

Was that the lid she was talking about :pac:

GBX wrote: »
    Was that the lid she was talking about :pac:

I'm married ......

So yes :o

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Mjolnir wrote: »
    If it lasts 5 years its about €0.2738 per day at €500 really is nothing if ya spread the price out like that
    Save €1 a day and you'd buy 3 after 5 years.

that's the sort of loony logic that sees us with 4 cars and 5 bikes in our house.

Oh, and, a collection of 'old' helmets.

:pac::pac::pac:

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote: »
    that's the sort of loony logic that sees us with 4 cars and 5 bikes in our house.

Oh, and, a collection of 'old' helmets.

:pac::pac::pac:

Hahah that's how we as men justify our purchases sure it only cost me €0.xx cent a day.
    Or may favourite sure it only cost €xx I'd be saving money by buying it

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

Terrible only going out on the bike 27.4 days per year.:p

• Advertisement

macplaxton wrote: »
    Terrible only going out on the bike 27.4 days per year.:p
    Fair weather rider:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Ye all get to 5 years without crashing?? :eek: :pac:

blade1 wrote: »
    Ye all get to 5 years without crashing?? :eek: :pac:

Its easy when you have a Harley, it doesn't leave the garage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭newmember2

Its easy when you have a Harley, it doesn't leave the farmyard garage.

FYP

• Registered Users Posts: 33,979 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Shoei give 7 year warranty from manufacture date, 5 year from Purchase.

I changed my Shoei this year after 6 years. Was getting stanky anyway.

New Shoei bought , beautiful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭H_Lime

I'm sure it's as bad as crossing the streams in ghostbusters but I upend it in the shower and wash it out with the kids mild shampoo and leave to dry.

H_Lime wrote: »
    I'm sure it's as bad as crossing the streams in ghostbusters but I upend it in the shower and wash it out with the kids mild shampoo and leave to dry.
    Thats the recommended method for most helmets, They can take water fine.
    Jetski racers use them in salt water so they must be some bit durable.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Its easy when you have a GS1200 Harley, it doesn't leave the garage.

fyp :pac: :pac:

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote: »
    fyp :pac: :pac:

Excuse me very much !! I'll have you know I did a whole 1500 kilometres (that weren't to a dealer to have it fixed) this year. Between me nearly dying early on in the year and then the lockdown I think I didn't do too badly ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement