Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

employer forcing alcohol tests?

Options
  • 18-06-2020 5:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

my safety manager just walked up to me druing lunch without golves/mask and just asked me the blow into the alcohol test thing. Is he allowed to do that druing COVID? what's the proper procedure?

i've heard garda passes you alcohol test thing, let's you unpack a new tube and blow into yourself. shouldn't employers do the same?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Jim Root

sergejss wrote: »
    my safety manager just walked up to me druing lunch without golves/mask and just asked me the blow into the alcohol test thing. Is he allowed to do that druing COVID? what's the proper procedure?

i've heard garda passes you alcohol test thing, let's you unpack a new tube and blow into yourself. shouldn't employers do the same?

What type of job do you do?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Construction?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Frynge

How much did you fail by?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

If your working sober, why the concern?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

He is in his hole. You should take this up with senior management.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭con747

Time to get a new "Safety" manager who knows how to keep a safe distance during a pandemic:rolleyes:

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,332 ✭✭✭secman

What does your employee handbook say, drug and alcohol testing is usually included as a policy and you may have signed up to it in your terms of employment.
    The carrying out of a test now would be subject to covid19 guidelines.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

con747 wrote: »
    Time to get a new "Safety" manager who knows how to keep a safe distance during a pandemic:rolleyes:

The risk of an employee getting a virus is tiny compared to the risk of an impaired person on a building site, the safety manager has their priorities correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

secman wrote: »
    What does your employee handbook say, drug and alcohol testing is usually included as a policy and you may have signed up to it in your terms of employment.
    The carrying out of a test now would be subject to covid19 guidelines.

The OP doesn’t seem to have an issue with the test just the manner of it, if the safety officer stuck something in front of his face presumably without him seeing it being taken from its wrapper during the current pandemic and expected him to put his mouth onto it then the safety officer is an idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭con747

Del2005 wrote: »
    The risk of an employee getting a virus is tiny compared to the risk of an impaired person on a building site, the safety manager has their priorities correct.

It does not excuse the fact he was using an opened tube for an employee to blow into, and was not wearing any PPE. The possibly impaired employee still deserves that much safety for himself.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

What did he say when you told him your concern about the way the test was being administered?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭lickalot

Good try at a 1st post but you can troll better than that can't you?

Come up with a rectal thermometer or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Del2005 wrote: »

Priorities right, procedure wrong. Be akin to walking up to someone's desk on front of everyone and demand an on the spot test. Formal complaint OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 sergejss

Snotty wrote: »
    What did he say when you told him your concern about the way the test was being administered?

he laughed it off, i refused the test and left that day, currently sorting this out with managment

Advertisement