Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can we have some fcuking control on the airports from high risk countries please?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Klonker wrote: »
    Rules not being enforced is a separate issue. Or is it fine when it's not enforced for us but not fine when it's not enforced for people who travelled here? No country in Europe has to tel quarenting as far as I know, we already have the harshest restrictions which don't seem to have made much of a difference to be honest.

If people wanted hotel quarentine a year I'd understand it even though I wouldn't agree with it. But here we are with a load of different vaccines being rolled out and people are still calling for quarentining, I just don't understand.

Restrictions aren't harsh when they're not enforced
    The very lack of enforcement is one of the reasons why we are where we are. 300 odd at that traveller funeral. Many came in from GB. What restrictions?

Great to see vaccines being given but it's painfully slow. Need to use all tools in our armoury to beat this.

IngazZagni wrote: »
    It’s due to takeoff performance. As the air is thin the aircraft needs to travel must faster on the runway to get the same airspeed to take off. Despite their runway being a km longer than Dublin other restrictions such as maximum tyre speed limitations will restrict how heavy the aircraft can be when taking off from this airport. As such they have to limit the amount of fuel on board when taking off. The return flight will usually go direct from USA to Addis Ababa.

Very interesting. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 ssflyer

Rodin wrote: »
    Anything else?

That’s a fuel stop to the states they park on the remotes stands most times. They’re might be a crew change but that’s it no pax on or off. So bit of research before you start spouting. The Industry is destroyed as it is.

ssflyer wrote: »
    That’s a fuel stop to the states they park on the remotes stands most times. They’re might be a crew change but that’s it no pax on or off. So bit of research before you start spouting. The Industry is destroyed as it is.

The longer this all drags on the longer it will be before said industry is back up and running. The approach should have been more aggressive but for a shorter time.
    Go to the ICUs around the country and tell them how hard the airline industry has it if you care so much...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Klonker wrote: »
    If they have a negative PCR test then what harm is it with them flying here? At least with the negative test pre flight they will be a lot lot less likely to have coronavirus than the average person here not tested. When they are here they'll be expected to following all our restriction rules like the rest of the people in the country. I don't know what locking people in hotels is going to achieve and the think the government have realised how stupid the whole thing is and that's why they are delaying it as long as possible. They'll hope in a few months with the vaccines the quarentining hotels will be forgotten about and they won't even start using them. Its such a red herring issue and people caljng for it, especially politicians, should be embarrassed for themselves.

What harm? Erh there's a global pandemic on atm.

And it really doesn't matter whether its going here or the US tbh.

Looking at the data- rates of infection in Ethiopia appear to be out of control.

https://africa.cgtn.com/2021/03/19/ethiopia-records-highest-number-of-weekly-covid-19-cases-increase-in-africa/

But more importantly PCR test are not the protective amulet soom seem to think they are ..
    Many countries now require a negative Covid-19 test to avoid quarantine upon entry. Typically a polymerase chain reaction (PCR) test is required about 48 or 72 hours before departure. The PCR test, which detects genetic material from the coronavirus, is more accurate than most rapid tests. But both types of tests can produce false negatives. ...

But already there are problems and concerns with travel-related testing. Two passengers with negative Covid-19 tests likely infected five others on the same 18-hour trip in September from Dubai to Auckland, New Zealand, according to a scientific study of the incident published in November by the government-run Institute of Environmental Science and Research, based in Wellington

Fake negative-test certificates are already cropping up for sale. Experts and countries disagree on how much testing and what kind of tests should be required for crossing borders....

Perhaps the most extensive research of transmission after pre-travel testing comes from the New Zealand Ministry of Health, which joined with other researchers to study seven infected people who traveled aboard Emirates Flight 448 from Dubai to Auckland on Sept. 29.

Two of the seven were likely infected before traveling but had tested negative in Zurich, Switzerland, within 72 hours of departing on their trip. Four of the seven were likely infected in-flight, the study found, and another likely during mandatory 14-day quarantine in New Zealand required of all passengers.

All seven people had genetically identical strains of the virus, even though the passengers had originated in five different countries. All seven sat within two rows of the presumed spreaders, and all were in aisle seats, the study reported. Travelers reported wearing masks and some wore gloves. There were 86 passengers on the Boeing 777.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-problems-with-covid-testing-for-flights-11608128492

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

The longer this all drags on the longer it will be before said industry is back up and running. The approach should have been more aggressive but for a shorter time.
    Go to the ICUs around the country and tell them how hard the airline industry has it if you care so much...

Lives and livelihoods. If we do not have tax revenues then health services will need to be cut. It will get to the point where more lives will be cost in the longer term.

The only way to keep it out is banning flights/ferry passengers.
    The next best is mandatory quarantine for ALL irrespective of where they've come from or their passport.

Lives and livelihoods. If we do not have tax revenues then health services will need to be cut. It will get to the point where more lives will be cost in the longer term.

If we have lower incidences of Covid we spend less on health and can open up quicker.
    To look at the result of re-opening just look at the past 12 months.
    The best predictor of the future is the past.

People have more money in their pockets than ever. Savings deposits are at record highs. Stressed mortgages are reducing...
    The domestic economy is more important than the tourist economy. We need to focus on that first. Preventing importation of the virus/new strains is critical

If we have lower incidences of Covid we spend less on health and can open up quicker.
    To look at the result of re-opening just look at the past 12 months.
    The best predictor of the future is the past.

I am talking about the next five to ten years not the next 10 weeks.

Do you even have a clue how important air travel and links are to our economy and you want to shut it down?

• Advertisement

SOMEPeople have more money in their pockets than ever. Savings deposits are at record highs. Stressed mortgages are reducing...
    The domestic economy is more important than the tourist economy. We need to focus on that first. Preventing importation of the virus/new strains is critical

Ah the I’m alright jack gang I see. Lovely

I am talking about the next five to ten years not the next 10 weeks.

Do you even have a clue how important air travel and links are to our economy and you want to shut it down?

Shut it down temporarily.
    So our domestic economy can get going.
    The govt has spent 11.5bn on social welfare because of pandemic. Those in the domestic economy need to be working and if we need to lockdown the country to enable that then so be it.

Ah the I’m alright jack gang I see. Lovely

Not at all. Have to look at a country as a whole.
    It's not going to be those with empty pockets that kick-start the economy is it?

Anything else?

Passengers?

Ah I see I was beaten to it.

Not at all. Have to look at a country as a whole.
    It's not going to be those with empty pockets that kick-start the economy is it?

You ve just proved my point there. Just to point out there’s going to be a lot of businesses and house repo s after this. Most don’t know it yet. The public sec will have pay cuts etc one this is finished.

Anyway back on topic, mhq for red lists grand I have seen no reason to not have that from the start tbh. Not for the rest, pcr or antigen which is currently in place is good enough. There’s a balance to be struck.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Checking the gov.ie website, you currently need a PCR test and to quarantine as well, am I correct in saying that?

Have a housemate who wants to go home during the summer, would I be unreasonable to ask them to quarantine elsewhere and not in a house share? House sharing isn't exactly self-isolating, is it?

Checking the gov.ie website, you currently need a PCR test and to quarantine as well, am I correct in saying that?

Have a housemate who wants to go home during the summer, would I be unreasonable to ask them to quarantine elsewhere and not in a house share? House sharing isn't exactly self-isolating, is it?

Right now in a houseshare I believe the rules are that they are supposed to stay in their room and have you and the other housemates bring them their food

Youre talking about the summer? July / August? People will be travelling by then

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Right now in a houseshare I believe the rules are that they are supposed to stay in their room and have you and the other housemates bring them their food

Youre talking about the summer? July / August? People will be travelling by then

Where's the rules on bringing them food? What about using a shared bathroom?

And not sure about traveling by summer with very slow vaccine rollout.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 199 ✭✭Morries Wigs

Eastern Europe is starting to have increasing numbers of the virus so they will need to be added to red list. They are going to need a whole new hotel chain just to keep them in quarantine when they go in and out of here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

Eastern Europe is starting to have increasing numbers of the virus so they will need to be added to red list. They are going to need a whole new hotel chain just to keep them in quarantine when they go in and out of here

Are the quarantine hotels actually in use or is it just all talk?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,642 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Noticing a few more Irish tourists arrive in the Valencia region in the past 2 weeks.

You’re not wanted here. Our region’s 14 day rate per 100k people is down to 39. My province is down to 29.

You’re unable to control the virus within Ireland despite a full lockdown.

Pictures of parties, weddings, funerals, parties, videos of people taking the piss at Garda checkpoints. You’re all focussed on incoming travel as if that’s the problem. Who is going on holiday to lockdowned country?

I hope the Irish airports close, we don’t want you till you get your act together. Ireland is talk of Europe at the moment. We’re enjoying open bars, restaurants, leisure in the meantime.

faceman wrote: »
    Noticing a few more Irish tourists arrive in the Valencia region in the past 2 weeks.

You’re not wanted here. Our region’s 14 day rate per 100k people is down to 39. My province is down to 29.

Pictures of parties, weddings, funerals, parties, videos of people taking the piss at Garda checkpoints. You’re all focussed on incoming travel as if that’s the problem. Who is going on holiday to lockdowned country?

I hope the Irish airports close, we don’t want you till you get your act together. Ireland is talk of Europe at the moment. We’re enjoying open bars, restaurants, leisure in the meantime.

Doesn't Spain require a negative PCR test?
    Not everyone travelling is infected. The risk is tiny given the pcr requirement.
    I’m not as concerned about travel from high risk areas anymore, we’re just not seeing any material impact from it. And similarly in the EU, the feared influx of British holidaymakers was uneventful. None of Spain’s outbreaks are international travel related. None.

This about-face is one of the most hypocritical things I've ever seen on boards.ie.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,642 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Doesn't Spain require a negative PCR test?

This about-face is one of the most hypocritical things I've ever seen on boards.ie.

You agree with me that Irish airports should be closed though to prevent outbound travel right?

Ireland is doing quite well despite what you may read.

You agree with me that Irish airports should be closed though to prevent outbound travel right?

I am fully in favour of strong international controls, but not closed airports. I've argued for two-week mandatory quarantine in a facility for a year now.

Anyways, it's an interesting switch this morning. You've either had an epiphany about the dangers of international travel, or you've had some trip back to Ireland cancelled and no longer benefit from it.

Ireland is doing quite well despite what you may read.

That chart is out of date

I am fully in favour of strong international controls, but not closed airports. I've argued for two-week mandatory quarantine in a facility for a year now.

Anyways, it's an interesting switch this morning. You've either had an epiphany about the dangers of international travel, or you've had some trip back to Ireland cancelled and no longer benefit from it.

It sounds like you’re not ok with inbound travel but you’re ok with outbound travel? The Irish infecting the world?

It sounds like you’re not ok with inbound travel but you’re ok with outbound travel? The Irish infecting the world?

I think every country should have the quarantine I've argued for. I've benefited enormously from it where I live.

After spending a year defending international travel into Ireland by repeatedly saying that it was not dangerous, you now want the airports in Ireland closed so Spain can be protected, where you happen to be right now.

That chart is out of date

Yes. It was from yesterday.

• Advertisement

Why the sudden about turn, Faceman? When I pitched up in Valencia recently you were welcoming and supportive of travelling and getting out of Ireland. Now you want the airports closed. The tone of your posts now compared to a month ago almost suggests your account has been hacked

And I’d take issue with your previous assertion than Ireland is the talk of Europe. That is an utter untruth. It’s France and Germany that are in the crosshairs right now

Advertisement