Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can we have some fcuking control on the airports from high risk countries please?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭votecounts

faceman wrote: »
    Noticing a few more Irish tourists arrive in the Valencia region in the past 2 weeks.

You’re not wanted here. Our region’s 14 day rate per 100k people is down to 39. My province is down to 29.

You’re unable to control the virus within Ireland despite a full lockdown.

Pictures of parties, weddings, funerals, parties, videos of people taking the piss at Garda checkpoints. You’re all focussed on incoming travel as if that’s the problem. Who is going on holiday to lockdowned country?

I hope the Irish airports close, we don’t want you till you get your act together. Ireland is talk of Europe at the moment. We’re enjoying open bars, restaurants, leisure in the meantime.
    BS, I'm sure with all the problems that Germany, France, Spain, etc are having, they have time to have a go at Ireland. Take a low down

Why the sudden about turn, Faceman? When I pitched up in Valencia recently you were welcoming and supportive of travelling and getting out of Ireland. Now you want the airports closed. The tone of your posts now compared to a month ago almost suggests your account has been hacked

And I’d take issue with your previous assertion than Ireland is the talk of Europe. That is an utter untruth. It’s France and Germany that are in the crosshairs right now
    Big change in his views all right and not a hope in hell Ireland is the talk of Europe

faceman wrote: »
    That chart is out of date

Were Orange in the eu map. As of I think, the 28th March, we won't even need a pcr for Spain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,094 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭NSAman

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

Too fecking late at that stage by a year at least.

With the way ireland are vaccinating, these hotels will be required for Irish citizens BEFORE they travel abroad!

• Advertisement

Yes. It was from yesterday.
    Well those figures in that news report are wrong. The 7 day incidence in Germany has been around 100 per 100,000 in the last few days.

votecounts wrote: »
    BS, I'm sure with all the problems that Germany, France, Spain, etc are having, they have time to have a go at Ireland. Take a low down
    What problems in Germany? There are still 4135 free intensive care beds free with an emergency reserve of 10,501; https://www.intensivregister.de/#/aktuelle-lage/reports
    The Germans are just being true to character; conservative out of habit rather than out of necessity.
    About 9% of the population have already received at least their first vaccination so they don't have huge pressure from the aged on their intensive care units as a result of covid.
    https://www.rki.de/DE/Content/InfAZ/N/Neuartiges_Coronavirus/Daten/Impfquoten-Tab.html

It's as if as long as official statistics aren't accessible to English speakers that the local media can spew any rubbish and it will be lapped up and further disseminated by eager doom merchants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,962 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Ireland is doing quite well despite what you may read.

we had the lowest levels before xmas too

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Claiomh

What problems in Germany? There are still 4135 free intensive care beds free with an emergency reserve of 10,501; https://www.intensivregister.de/#/aktuelle-lage/reports
    The Germans are just being true to character; conservative out of habit rather than out of necessity.
    About 9% of the population have already received at least their first vaccination so they don't have huge pressure from the aged on their intensive care units as a result of covid.
    https://www.rki.de/DE/Content/InfAZ/N/Neuartiges_Coronavirus/Daten/Impfquoten-Tab.html

It's as if as long as official statistics aren't accessible to English speakers that the local media can spew any rubbish and it will be lapped up and further disseminated by eager doom merchants.

On the Germany side, I think its more concen that as the B117 variant becomes dominant, that existing measures will not be enough to suppress the spread. This is something that was predicted a few weeks ago by various virologists including Christian Drosten. They have had steadily rising case numbers the last few weeks, and with the removal of Mallorca from the RKI Risikogebiet list, meaning no need to quarantine on return, they are concerned about people taking Easter holidays there.

https://www.spiegel.de/politik/deutschland/scholz-warnt-deutsche-vor-reisen-zu-ostern-a-3dbeed8e-2b49-4447-b5fe-eaf7360b65e6

Add in the DGIIN warning that if easings of restrictions are not tightened quickly enough, the third wave of cases will be put the whole summer at risk

https://www.spiegel.de/wissenschaft/medizin/corona-intensivaerzte-fordern-sofortige-rueckkehr-zum-lockdown-in-deutschland-a-720faa60-e4c9-474c-b5d0-8ef4c3209058

,the slow-ish pace of vaccine rollout, the numbers of people fed up with restrictions just like in Ireland, and heavy pressure from industry to open up, its easy to see why they are concerned.

https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/1373741910582554631

will this do anything as most red countries do not have direct flights to Ireland, could be a great moneymaker for the hotel group

• Advertisement

will this do anything as most red countries do not have direct flights to Ireland, could be a great moneymaker for the hotel group

Don’t get how anyone would get end up having to go to a quarantine hotel in Ireland for 14 days. Just do the 14 day quarantine in a nice Airbnb at an intermediate stop. And then fly on to Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭fm

Don’t get how anyone would get end up having to go to a quarantine hotel in Ireland for 14 days. Just do the 14 day quarantine in a nice Airbnb at an intermediate stop. And then fly on to Ireland

Or overnight somewhere and get a test done, 2000 euros for a travel lodge, thats worse than quarantine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

The direct flights situation is irrelevant at this stage, all visas to South America have been revoked since the 28th of January. People from these countries cannot travel to Ireland since then unless they are dual Irish or EU citizens, some Brazilians in Ireland would for example hold Italian and Portuguese passports due to ancestry from these countries.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/visa-free-travel-banned-from-most-south-american-countries-and-south-africa-1.4470082

What will happen is like the Covid quarantine hotel before the Government will end up squandering millions of taxpayers money to probably book out the hotel guaranteeing the hotel money when the rest of the countries hotels are hut, the whole thing is a farce when we had ample warning last January and February 2020 to close our borders and airport and introduce mandatory testing on arrival like Iceland implemented. This is merely pandering to the woke twitter mob and is nothing less than to be expected from the corrupt Fianna Fail party.

The HSE squandered €21m on the Citywest deal on a hotel worth only slightly extra.

https://www.breakingnews.ie/business/citywest-hotel-firm-was-loss-making-before-covid-deal-with-hse-1027529.html

https://www.independent.ie/business/commercial-property/citywest-hotel-sold-to-brehon-capital-for-29m-30576408.html

fm wrote: »
    Or overnight somewhere and get a test done, 2000 euros for a travel lodge, thats worse than quarantine

That would be breaking the law. I’m talking about being completely above board and seeing out your 14 days in somewhere nice rather than in a quarantine hotel. Just don’t understand why someone from one of these countries would fly to Ireland and not do a 14 day layover somewhere else

That would be breaking the law. I’m talking about being completely above board and seeing out your 14 days in somewhere nice rather than in a quarantine hotel. Just don’t understand why someone from one of these countries would fly to Ireland and not do a 14 day layover somewhere else

Maybe it is breaking the law, I don't know, but can they trace where and when the person's original journey began that easy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

Maybe it is breaking the law, I don't know, but can they trace where and when the person's original journey began that easy?

The exit stamp out of certain countries in your passport is a dead giveaway, there is also an RFID biometric chip on the passport and I often wonder what is stored on it, whether it is read only or if there is a record of everytime it is scanned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,962 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

will this do anything as most red countries do not have direct flights to Ireland
    https://twitter.com/lostexpectation/status/1363203545881845761

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,456 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Small steps, it will start with a red list and by May it'll be anybody coming in from abroad regardless of what country they are coming from probably excepting the UK and USA because of their vastly superior vaccination programmes
    theguzman wrote: »
    The exit stamp out of certain countries in your passport is a dead giveaway, there is also an RFID biometric chip on the passport and I often wonder what is stored on it, whether it is read only or if there is a record of everytime it is scanned.

Don't see a point in this, a positive case who transfers in CDG will likely infect the person he's sitting beside on the plane between Paris and Dublin

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

Zero covid supporters are merely people who support tougher restrictions they do not want to go back to normal. Hotel qurantines are part of increased restrictions not a strategy to reduce the amount of restrictions.

None of the measures taken by our government so far have enabled us to reduce the amount of government imposed restrictions and have only increased restrictions. We were lied to about masks for example as people said back when they were introduced they they would mean we could ease lockdown and open up quicker. This did not happen.

If mandatory qurantine was actually logical it would mean that restrictions within Ireland could be relaxed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,060 ✭✭✭✭josip

If you were in a country on the red list 10 days ago, but you've since been in another (non-red) country before entering Ireland, do you do 4 or 14 days in quarantine?

• Advertisement

josip wrote: »
    If you were in a country on the red list 10 days ago, but you've since been in another (non-red) country before entering Ireland, do you do 4 or 14 days in quarantine?

GT89 wrote: »
    Zero covid supporters are merely people who support tougher restrictions they do not want to go back to normal. Hotel qurantines are part of increased restrictions not a strategy to reduce the amount of restrictions.

As a Zero COVID supporter I can happily confirm to you that you are wrong about what I support... Sorry
    GT89 wrote: »

If mandatory qurantine was actually logical it would mean that restrictions within Ireland could be relaxed.

This is what I'm hoping for, note that mandatory quarantine is not in effect yet

Small steps, it will start with a red list and by May it'll be anybody coming in from abroad regardless of what country they are coming from probably excepting the UK and USA because of their vastly superior vaccination programmes

Don't see a point in this, a positive case who transfers in CDG will likely infect the person he's sitting beside on the plane between Paris and Dublin

Have you heard of the eu green travel cert?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,642 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Disappointing that people aren’t as interested in controlling the airports as you’d have led me believe. The airport has an entrance and an exit

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭cnbyz

I think mandatory hotel quarantine is a bit extreme. Country is in level 5 lock down. Its not like you can go to a restaurant and spread the virus.
    PCR - should be sufficient. To be honest i dont go anywhere myself and i am about to go mad but i'd feel really stressed if airports were closed or airliners stop their operations. I'd like to have the option to fly out if theres a family emergency

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Once the hotel thing is up and running will we stop interrogating and fining people trying to leave the island?

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Feria40

Small steps, it will start with a red list and by May it'll be anybody coming in from abroad regardless of what country they are coming from probably excepting the UK and USA because of their vastly superior vaccination programme

Well this won't be happening:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,060 ✭✭✭✭josip

Can someone explain to me why it's 14 and not 4?
    I thought the logic behind quarantine was to give enough time for contracted Covid to be detectable if it wasn't detectable at the time of the PCR test?

Have you heard of the eu green travel cert?

Yes I have, I've also heard of the EU traffic light system and the EU vaccine procurement system, which was optional for each individual country to sign up to and neither of which seems to have worked particularly well. Likewise the green travel cert is probably going to be optional for countries to take part in and I think it's 50/50 if our govt will sign us up considering the previous disasters

There is talk of Cyprus, Greece and Israel agreeing to a mutual travel zone this summer so there's 2 EU countries that are unlikely to be signing up
    Feria40 wrote: »
    Well this won't be happening:pac:

Do you have proof that mandatory hotel quarantine won't be happening for all incoming travelers? NPHET are calling for it today and it has proven to be very successful in keeping covid out of Australia and New Zealand

• Advertisement

Can someone explain to me why it's 14 and not 4?
    I thought the logic behind quarantine was to give enough time for contracted Covid to be detectable if it wasn't detectable at the time of the PCR test?

If you were in a country on the red list 10 days ago you go to hotel quarantine for 14 days, there are no exceptions, nobody comes out in 4 days

Advertisement