Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can we have some fcuking control on the airports from high risk countries please?

Comments

Feria40 wrote: »
    Well this won't be happening:pac:

also, even if it did it would only apply to non essential travel (as per NPHETs hotel quarantine recommendation). Most of this travel, especially UK Ireland travel will be essential. There are very few holidaymakers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,060 ✭✭✭✭josip

If you were in a country on the red list 10 days ago you go to hotel quarantine for 14 days, there are no exceptions, nobody comes out in 4 days

Yes, but can you explain the logic why 14 days still applies when 10 days have already elapsed since in the red-listed country?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,456 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

also, even if it did it would only apply to non essential travel (as per NPHETs hotel quarantine recommendation). Most of this travel, especially UK Ireland travel will be essential. There are very few holidaymakers

There are a lot of Irish working in the UK who might want to travel to see family (or whose family might want to travel to see them) and while there is not much holiday makers going from Ireland to the UK there are usually plenty coming in the opposite direction.

With that being said if the UK starts to open it's hospitality as planned next month and the rest of the EU goes into further lockdown that could flip on it's head

josip wrote: »
    Yes, but can you explain the logic why 14 days still applies when 10 days have already elapsed since in the red-listed country?

I can't explain most of this govts logic on COVID matters, I think they should quarantine everybody in hotels because I don't see how somebody flying from Rio to Dublin via Paris is less of a risk than the person they sit next to on the plane on the second leg of their journey. Yet the person they sit next to could have been cocooning in Paris for the 4 weeks previous and picked it up on the plane

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,060 ✭✭✭✭josip

I can't explain most of this govts logic on COVID matters, I think they should quarantine everybody in hotels because I don't see how somebody flying from Rio to Dublin via Paris is less of a risk than the person they sit next to on the plane on the second leg of their journey. Yet the person they sit next to could have been cocooning in Paris for the 4 weeks previous and picked it up on the plane

So as long as there is a single red-listed country in the world, you want everyone who flies into Ireland, now and at anytime in the future, to quarantine in a hotel for 2 weeks @ €2,000 ?

• Advertisement

By that logic, quarantine everyone because you could have walked past a carrier.

Its about measured responses to measured risks

josip wrote: »
    So as long as there is a single red-listed country in the world, you want everyone who flies into Ireland, now and at anytime in the future, to quarantine in a hotel for 2 weeks @ €2,000 ?

It would certainly help keep COVID out, again I point to Australia and New Zealand who hail their hotel quarantine system as the reason their lives are more or less back to normal
    By that logic, quarantine everyone because you could have walked past a carrier.

Its about measured responses to measured risks

Exactly, and as long as international travel remains a risk it should be monitored properly

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,642 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

It would certainly help keep COVID out, again I point to Australia and New Zealand who hail their hotel quarantine system as the reason their lives are more or less back to normal

Exactly, and as long as international travel remains a risk it should be monitored properly

We should invade Northern Ireland and take ownership of it back. Then we should leave the EU. We should then tell Irish people who have used the EU model for travel, employment and business to forget that for a few years.

The we’re ready for a NZ model

*high five*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭fm

And the truck drivers? The essential maintenance workers or people on essential journeys like a funeral? Lock them up also I suppose is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Feria40

Are we not close to being past the point of closed borders though now any way.

Many are saying that Covid may now be reasonably endemic in the country at this stage. Plus whether it's the end of June or a month later, 80% of adults will have had the opportunity to avail of a vaccine pretty soon.

So unless closed borders are combined with an ultra harsh stay-at-home lockdown (not advocating) then it's going to stay in circulation.

If closed borders is to protect against new and/or more dangerous variants then it would help if the promoters of Zero Covid were honest with people as surely this would be a multi multi year strategy...

• Advertisement

faceman wrote: »
    We should invade Northern Ireland and take ownership of it back.

Nothern Ireland are Implementing a similar Hotel Quarantine system, in fact it's already up and running
    Then we should leave the EU. We should then tell Irish people who have used the EU model for travel, employment and business to forget that for a few years.

The we’re ready for a NZ model

*high five*

No need to leave the EU in order to implement this as Ireland is not a member of the Shenghen Agreement
    fm wrote: »
    And the truck drivers? The essential maintenance workers or people on essential journeys like a funeral? Lock them up also I suppose is it?

It's all manageable, for example truck drivers could leave their stock on board the ship to be picked up by Irish truck drivers on the other side. Funerals aren't essential but can always be delayed 2 weeks if necessary and most importantly we're not locking anybody up, people are free to not come into our country

I'd rather reduce the risk of there being a funeral than be able to go to it.

As for NI, just make it so you have to self-report to hotel quarantine if you have entered the island. People would report each other for breaking the rules. Throw a massive fine on top.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,642 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Nothern Ireland are Implementing a similar Hotel Quarantine system, in fact it's already up and running

Northern Ireland is a different country run by a different government with a different policy on vaccines and lockdown. There will never be a one island approach
    wrote:
    No need to leave the EU in order to implement this as Ireland is not a member of the Shenghen Agreement

It’s incredible naive to think that being in the EU is all about travel

wrote:
    It's all manageable, for example truck drivers could leave their stock on board the ship to be picked up by Irish truck drivers on the other side.

You’ve no idea how freight works do you!?
    wrote:
    Funerals aren't essential but can always be delayed 2 weeks if necessary and most importantly we're not locking anybody up, people are free to not come into our country

We will put this on your tombstone. Such bollocks

opinions are like assholes as they say

It's all manageable, for example truck drivers could leave their stock on board the ship to be picked up by Irish truck drivers on the other side. Funerals aren't essential but can always be delayed 2 weeks if necessary and most importantly we're not locking anybody up, people are free to not come into our country

NI have it for a limited number of countries like in Ireland. There is zero change of full mandatory quarantine for all arrivals in the UK. None

As for trucks, the idea of unmanned trailer exchange has been completely dismissed by Dublin port and the ferry operators. The space and infrastructure is not there. Australia and NZ don’t have that problem.

We are just going through the same as happened in the UK a few weeks ago. A lot of publicity when the hotel quarantine was enacted, and then all goes quiet. Hasn’t been talked about in the UK now for ages after the initial buzz. Same will happen here

As for funerals etc, NPHET in their own recommendation, suggest quarantine for non essential travel only. I am assuming that the definition of essential will be similar to the essential reasons for domestic travel right now....with the intent of discouraging holidaymakers. And hence much of the current travel will fall within those definitions, especially UK / Ireland travel. Many many people live across the UK and Ireland as if they were one (I do in normal circumstances before i relocated to Valencia, and my travel would be essential)

I'd rather reduce the risk of there being a funeral than be able to go to it.

As for NI, just make it so you have to self-report to hotel quarantine if you have entered the island. People would report each other for breaking the rules. Throw a massive fine on top.

How do you fine a tourist?

Will you seek an international warrant to bring them back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭fm

It's all so easy isn't it? You clearly have no idea how goods are brought in and out this country on a daily basis.
    Funerals are not essential, ffs.

What about essential workers? We have machinery serviced by a UK company who are the nearest company who have the rights on the spare parts also so we have to deal with them only.

How do you fine a tourist?

Will you seek an international warrant to bring them back?

Fine them when they're in Ireland. Hotel check-ins for foreigner passports must include travel / quarantine history, or proof of residence. Fine people for hosting people that haven't done quarantine.

It's a pandemic. People would report each other.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Well, this is funny but it's kinda true. They need a full year to make sure they'll do a half arsed job of it.

https://waterfordwhispersnews.com/2021/03/22/hotel-quarantine-to-be-its-own-completely-separate-****show-promise-government/

Northern Ireland is a different country run by a different government with a different policy on vaccines and lockdown. There will never be a one island approach

There will be an all-island approach when hotel quarantine comes in to the republic

It’s incredible naive to think that being in the EU is all about travel

You’ve no idea how freight works do you!?

We will put this on your tombstone. Such bollocks

Howabout instead of sweeping statements you actually explain how I'm wrong?

As for trucks, the idea of unmanned trailer exchange has been completely dismissed by Dublin port and the ferry operators. The space and infrastructure is not there. Australia and NZ don’t have that problem.

You would be surprised how fast infrastructure can be built on this island, especially in a privately operated port when it's badly needed... Were NZ and Australian ports and border crossings set up with the required infrastructure before the Pandemic yeah?

• Advertisement

There will be an all-island approach when hotel quarantine comes in to the republic

You would be surprised how fast infrastructure can be built on this island, especially in a privately operated port when it's badly needed... Were NZ and Australian ports and border crossings set up with the required infrastructure before the Pandemic yeah?

Where in Australia and NZ do they have RORO ferries disgorging hundreds of trucks in narrow time windows?

I actually think you are on the wind-up now

Vietnam hired people to drive trucks across the border with China. These people basically live at the border and are cocooned from society at large. Where there's a will, there's a way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭Acosta

The media and opposition TDs have behaved foolishly and irresponsibly in how for the past 3 months they've spent so much time banging on about people arriving into the state with negative covid tests being the main problem in all this. And now here we are, 3 months of lockdowns and the numbers are still sky high. Sure at least people have a scapegoat to blame while they meet up with friends and family from another household over a takeaway coffee or pint.

Vietnam hired people to drive trucks across the border with China. These people basically live at the border and are cocooned from society at large. Where there's a will, there's a way.

Sounds good. Let’s fly in some Brazilians to do it

Yeah 10 drivers for 150 containers a day

Meanwhile Ireland has over 1.3m freight vehicles per year.

Fine them when they're in Ireland. Hotel check-ins for foreigner passports must include travel / quarantine history, or proof of residence. Fine people for hosting people that haven't done quarantine.

Think about this now, consider how fines are dealt with in Ireland. You are issued a fine in the post, not by hand. Then you have upto 56 days to pay that fine and after that a summons is issued.

Next up, you are suggesting reinventing passports to include travel and quarantine history. Digital I assume so that requires IT to scan and check. That will be a year or two and require international agreement.

Proof of residence, what do you mean? They are tourists! They arent residents.

Ok, You are essentially amending the current laws on harbouring fugitives now. Thats doable, certainly but the burden of proof remains with the prosecution and you cannot find the host guilty unless theres a serious offence on the fugitives part.

Nope, not realistic in the Republic of Ireland. Other nations have different legal systems to us. Spain for example, you can be made pay a fine on the spot as a tourist.

Do you think that maybe, just maybe thats a little different to a small island on the edge of the EU?

You made the suggestion, you propose how it would work

Yeah that’ll work

Just like our system of fining U.K. drivers who break traffic rules in Ireland.

Acosta wrote: »
    The media and opposition TDs have behaved foolishly and irresponsibly in how for the past 3 months they've spent so much time banging on about people arriving into the state with negative covid tests being the main problem in all this. And now here we are, 3 months of lockdowns and the numbers are still sky high. Sure at least people have a scapegoat to blame while they meet up with friends and family from another household over a takeaway coffee or pint.

Can we just dispell this myth right now? 700 a day is not "Sky high" and we are orange on the covid map. ONe of the lowest numbers in the world in fact

• Advertisement

Where in Australia and NZ do they have RORO ferries disgorging hundreds of trucks in narrow time windows?

I actually think you are on the wind-up now

You're the one who made claim that the ferry problem doesn't exist in NZ and Australia...

Advertisement