Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can we have some fcuking control on the airports from high risk countries please?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Can we just dispell this myth right now? 700 a day is not "Sky high" and we are orange on the covid map. ONe of the lowest numbers in the world in fact

Add to that quite a few counties have extremely low cases constantly. When the 3rd highest case count on a 'sky high' day has only 40 something cases you know the language has bled into peoples consciousness. Sort out the few consistently static higher counties with extra resources and numbers would change fast imo.

You're the one who made claim that the ferry problem doesn't exist in NZ and Australia...

Because they don’t have RORO ferries! Jesus C!!!!

So all just a bunch of excuses as usual. At least I'm providing possible solutions instead of posting here on a Sunday morning, presumably hungover, calling for the closure of Irish airports to protect Spain.

And niner, it's a simple form. Where have you been in the last two weeks. Make it a criminal offence to lie on it. Issue on the spot fines or blacklist people who don't pay. I refuse to believe a country is incapable of what is an extremely basic task. Can Ireland really not punish a foreigner unless they're put in jail?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,456 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Then how are they getting their freight through?

You're the one who made claim that the ferry problem doesn't exist in NZ and Australia...

• Advertisement

Then how are they getting their freight through?

Really? Are you winding me up? It comes in by plane. Imports to NZ and Australia are effectively contactless and always were

We are not talking about giant container ships here, with containers offloaded by crane (they have those). We are talking about RORO ferries like in Ireland, with manned trucks. That kind of produce comes in by plane

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

I'd say Simon Coveney has been earning his crust this week organising redirected flights to get those ABP slaves into the country via an airport not on the quarantine list....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,062 ✭✭✭✭josip

So all just a bunch of excuses as usual. At least I'm providing possible solutions instead of posting here on a Sunday morning, presumably hungover, calling for the closure of Irish airports to protect Spain.

Are you calling your Vietnam-China border comparison a solution to Dublin Port?
    I don't think you have a very good understanding of Dublin port volumes or land constraints.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,642 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

And niner, it's a simple form. Where have you been in the last two weeks. Make it a criminal offence to lie on it. Issue on the spot fines or blacklist people who don't pay. I refuse to believe a country is incapable of what is an extremely basic task. Can Ireland really not punish a foreigner unless they're put in jail?

Yeah hungover from being in the pub the day before, was a great day out.

At least you'd have an excuse if you were hungover with the crap proposals you've brought.

Yeah we criminalise lying on the passenger locator form but thats not enough for you. On the spot fines dont mean you have to pay up there and then... :pac::pac:

Just close the airports fully. Stop any traffic essential or otherwise. Its the only way to be sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭Acosta

Can we just dispell this myth right now? 700 a day is not "Sky high" and we are orange on the covid map. ONe of the lowest numbers in the world in fact

I can't share you optimism that over 700 cases on a day nearly 3 months into an apparent level 5 lockdown is not bad, but that's not really what my post was about anyway.

• Advertisement

josip wrote: »
    Are you calling your Vietnam-China border comparison a solution to Dublin Port?
    I don't think you have a very good understanding of Dublin port volumes or land constraints.

No, I'm not. It was simply a story of what another country did.
    faceman wrote: »
    Yeah hungover from being in the pub the day before, was a great day out.

At least you'd have an excuse if you were hungover with the crap proposals you've brought.

Yeah we criminalise lying on the passenger locator form but thats not enough for you. On the spot fines dont mean you have to pay up there and then... :pac::pac:

Just close the airports fully. Stop any traffic essential or otherwise. Its the only way to be sure.

I am hungover. I was in a bar last night because there are no restrictions where I live and I never work Mondays.

Acosta wrote: »
    I can't share you optimism that over 700 cases on a day nearly 3 months into an apparent level 5 lockdown is not bad, but that's not really what my post was about anyway.

No, it wasnt. That was just a section that I noticed was odd.

700 a day is very good because again, we doing better than most of the globe. How do you measure such things if not in comparison to others?

700 a day is very good because again, we doing better than most of the globe. How do you measure such things if not in comparison to others?

Daily figures aren't quite as important as the 2 week figures, In the last 2 weeks there have been 7,395 new cases... That's 7,395 people (or 1848 families of 4) who didn't keep 2m away from another person and/or who didn't wash their hands before touching their face in the last 2 weeks despite knowing a global pandemic is raging...

That's a complete disaster in my books

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭Acosta

We're heading off topic now, but other countries don't have the HSE and their piss poor management for our hospital's to contend with for a start. And with a number like yesterdays this far into a lockdown, it probably means restrictions won't be eased anytime soon, nor does it bode well for what will happen if they were eased. Also, reading the news this morning NPHET don't seem too happy about the numbers either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,962 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

how long have those other countries been on similar lockdowns

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Daily figures aren't quite as important as the 2 week figures, In the last 2 weeks there have been 7,395 new cases... That's 7,395 people (or 1848 families of 4) who didn't keep 2m away from another person and/or who didn't wash their hands before touching their face in the last 2 weeks despite knowing a global pandemic is raging...

Looks bad.

How many of those 7,395 new cases will we see in the Hospitals ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,062 ✭✭✭✭josip

Acosta wrote: »
    We're heading off topic now, but other countries don't have the HSE and their piss poor management for our hospital's to contend with for a start. And with a number like yesterdays this far into a lockdown, it probably means restrictions won't be eased anytime soon, nor does it bode well for what will happen if they were eased. Also, reading the news this morning NPHET don't seem too happy about the numbers either.

Can anyone remember if there ever was a time that NPHET were happy?

HG5yjpg.png

AlekSmart wrote: »
    Looks bad.

How many of those 7,395 new cases will we see in the Hospitals ?

Law of averages say

6% of cases wind up in hospital so 425
    1.99% of cases will die so 147
    20%-33% will suffer from long COVID so between 1479-2440

Although all of the above should be lower thanks to vaccination

Law of averages say

6% of cases wind up in hospital so 425
    20%-33% will suffer from long COVID so between 1479-2440

Although all of the above should be lower thanks to vaccination

So not the above numbers then. In fact, it’ll be nothing like the above numbers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Actually,I'd rather run the numbers without vaccination.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Advertisement

Hopefully yes, depends if the right people in the right places got vaccinated or not, it's actually a very good test for our vaccination campaign

• Registered Users Posts: 8,214 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Probably need to get to 50% vaccinated to get significant reduction on outcomes.

saabsaab wrote: »
    Probably need to get to 50% vaccinated to get significant reduction on outcomes.

Rubbish. UK has only 40% first doses and look what is he opening there. Outcomes were improving much faster than the SAGE modelling at a much lower % vaccinated

Rubbish. UK has only 40% first doses and look what is he opening there. Outcomes were improving much faster than the SAGE modelling at a much lower % vaccinated

Link?

Link?

Er, the UK numbers? More persuasive than plucking 50% out of the air. Listen to any UK press conference and they talk about this - the break in the link between cases and hospitalisations.

Er, the UK numbers? More persuasive than plucking 50% out of the air. Listen to any UK press conference and they talk about this - the break in the link between cases and hospitalisations.

You gave 40% thought you might be able to back it up?

You gave 40% thought you might be able to back it up?

Its in the UK daily stats. 41.9% to be exact

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/mar/22/covid-uk-coronavirus-cases-deaths-and-vaccinations-today

Published literally everywhere in the UK

Its in the UK daily stats. 41.9% to be exact

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/mar/22/covid-uk-coronavirus-cases-deaths-and-vaccinations-today

Published literally everywhere in the UK

That shows the roll out % but says nothing about the outcomes of the covid cases and the effect it has on them at present. Red Silurian's % may still apply.

'6% of cases wind up in hospital so 425
    20%-33% will suffer from long COVID so between 1479-2440'

Although all of the above should be lower thanks to vaccination[

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭BlondeBomb

Do we have anywhere where we can see numbers of those who travelled in from the 33 countries now required to quarantine? Thanks

• Advertisement

how long have those other countries been on similar lockdowns

Depends on how you compare but I'm not really seeing the point here. Regardless of agreeing or disagreeing with the restrictions, our numbers are good globally. That's just a factual comparison.

7395 ÷ 14 = 528 daily average. It's even better than I suggested.

Again, I fail to see how having one if the lowest transmission rates in the world can be classed as a complete disaster. We are an island that is reliant on international imports. Zero is impossible. Will not happen anytime soon.

Advertisement