Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can we have some fcuking control on the airports from high risk countries please?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    LegitimateUncomfortableKookaburra-small.gif

That's .... not really how this virus works

It's the hotel workers, staff working at tourist sites that they visit, they are all at a risk. They can't keep away from them. They bring home the virus to their families then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

LegitimateUncomfortableKookaburra-small.gif

That's .... not really how this virus works

How does one pick up the virus if one is 2 metres from anyone with unknown virus status and if one washes one's hands frequently, never touches face eyes nose etc prior to washing?
    If everyone is doing that how is the virus spread?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭YellowBucket

How can you “keep away from them” ?!

Hotels, B&Bs etc will have loads of Irish domestic tourists, so will restaurants, pubs, shops and also public transport.

It’s not like we place American or any other tourists into some kind of compound bubble or something. Being a tourist in Ireland is being very much part of day to day life in Ireland. It’s all about the mingling.

How can you “keep away from them” ?!

Hotels, B&Bs etc will have loads of Irish domestic tourists, so will restaurants, pubs, shops and also public transport.

It’s not like we place American or any other tourists into some kind of compound bubble or something. Being a tourist in Ireland is being very much part of day to day life in Ireland. It’s all about the mingling.

Social distancing and mingling are mutually exclusive concepts
    If you are socially distancing from tourists, you are not at risk
    Tourist sites or hotels or bars not enforcing covid 19 regulations are breaking the law and can be closed
    If you mingle with unknown people, it is you yourself that is putting yourself in danger
    You need to step back from those situations and report violations of the law to management and the gardai

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Spain have struggled to get their numbers under 300, mostly over 400 this week, had two big local lockdown, closed 55 beaches due to.social distancing and now compulsory to wear masks in public in most parts of spain

Nonsense. Beaches are closed when they reach capacity. Capacity is severely reduced compared to what a packed beach used to look like. They reopen then when footfall drops.

Masks have been compulsory since lockdown began. This is nothing new. In most regions they must be worn indoors in public and outdoors where social distancing can’t be observed. Exceptions to this are the Balearics, Catalonia and the Andalusia region who have made masks mandatory in public places (except beaches)

The clusters are under control and given there’s a population of nearly 50m here and what the transmission rate was at its worst, Spain has done incredible work to get it under control.

I fail to see the issue here.

• Advertisement

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Tourist sites or hotels or bars not enforcing covid 19 regulations are breaking the law and can be closed

You need to step back from those situations and report violations of the law to management and the gardai

And none of those things stop a virus from spreading.

I know someone that caught covid 19, she lives alone, worked alone in an office, wages her hands regularly, sanitised her areas regularly, no contact with anyone unknown & no close contact with anyone known.

bubblypop wrote: »
    And none of those things stop a virus from spreading.

I know someone that caught covid 19, she lives alone, worked alone in an office, wages her hands regularly, sanitised her areas regularly, no contact with anyone unknown & no close contact with anyone known.

It didn't fly in the window
    She did have close contact with someone who has the virus or forgot to wash her hands on some occasion and has forgotten this

She did have close contact with someone who has the virus or forgot to wash her hands on some occasion and has forgotten this

No, she didn't.

No, she didn't.

You have her under 24/7 surveillance?

Social distancing and mingling are mutually exclusive concepts
    If you are socially distancing from tourists, you are not at risk
    If you mingle with unknown people, it is you yourself that is putting yourself in danger

So basically what you’re saying is contact tracing and restrictions should only apply to the local peasants, not our American overlords blissfully wandering around, having flown in from extremely high risk locations and we should just all depend on social distancing and nothing else?

They don’t have contact tracing going on properly in the USA. There are still no real systems in place in many states. No apps and they aren’t sharing data or preventing people boarding flights.

Right now we can’t even travel to the USA from Ireland as they’ve banned us from entry, but we are apparently terrified to offend Trump.

The majority of Americans would very likely support our taking a pragmatic approach to inbound tourism right now. They’ve done just that themselves and may even have to deal with internal restrictions before long too.

We can’t get back to business as usual if we can’t control the risks.

If we can get US based visitors in, having tested them, great but they’ve an out of control pandemic going on over there at the moment and unless and until they get to grips with that we need to be prudent.

• Advertisement

You have her under 24/7 surveillance?

No. But she knew exactly where she was & what she did, she did not have contact with anyone nor did she forget to wash her hands.
    The hospital think she may have got it from her grocery shopping

No. But she knew exactly where she was & what she did, she did not have contact with anyone nor did she forget to wash her hands.
    The hospital think she may have got it from her grocery shopping

Yeah,there's something she's not telling you or the hospital

So basically what you’re saying is contact tracing and restrictions should only apply to the local peasants, not our American overlords blissfully wandering around, having flown in from extremely high risk locations and we should just all depend on social distancing and nothing else?

They don’t have contact tracing going on properly in the USA. There are still no real systems in place in many states. No apps and they aren’t sharing data or preventing people boarding flights.

Right now we can’t even travel to the USA from Ireland as they’ve banned us from entry, but we are apparently terrified to offend Trump.

The majority of Americans would very likely support our taking a pragmatic approach to inbound tourism right now. They’ve done just that themselves and may even have to deal with internal restrictions before long too.

We can’t get back to business as usual if we can’t control the risks.

If we can get US based visitors in, having tested them, great but they’ve an out of control pandemic going on over there at the moment and unless and until they get to grips with that we need to be prudent.

There is full contact tracing in bars restaurants and hotels for everyone

Yeah,there's something she's not telling you or the hospital

Listen.
    She has no reason to lie. She is not hiding anything.

There is full contact tracing in bars restaurants and hotels for everyone

In the USA and that will link to flight data and onwards to Ireland?

No there is not.

And those tourists turning up in umpteen reports spent 14 days self isolating?! Seems very unlikely.

In the USA and that will link to flight data and onwards to Ireland?

No there is not.

And those tourists turning up in umpteen reports spent 14 days self isolating?! Seems very unlikely.

A tourist entering any bar or restaurant must give lead contact details

Listen.
    She has no reason to lie. She is not hiding anything.

you don't know this
    Its possible but extremely unlikely to get covid 19 from shopping goods alright
    The chances that would be related to American tourists tinier still

you don't know this
    Its possible but extremely unlikely to get covid 19 from shopping goods alright
    The chances that would be related to American tourists tinier still

American tourists can & do go wherever they want. They can touch anything or anyone they want.
    There is no real restrictions on their movements.
    They are coming from highly infected areas of America. I heard a couple interviewed on radio the other day, they said they were here in Ireland to travel around & escape from where they live, Florida, which is full of covid.

Surely you can see an issue with that?

American tourists can & do go wherever they want. They can touch anything or anyone they want.
    There is no real restrictions on their movements.
    They are coming from highly infected areas of America. I heard a couple interviewed on radio the other day, they said they were here in Ireland to travel around & escape from where they live, Florida, which is full of covid.

Surely you can see an issue with that?

They cannot touch anyone they want
    I'm thinking test on arrival with a 24hr result turnaround or a test pre flight is the better solution

It doesn't matter what the tourists say,its what people do
    You can steer clear of them and you should socially distance from unknown people
    Washing etc etc then,how can an American tourist infect you or anyone local?
    The line about people working in hotels etc being affected disproportionately is greatly exaggerated
    They're no more at risk than shop workers which is tiny if following covid 19 prevention procedures properly

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

We should be closed to tourists from high risk countries - end of story.

How the **** we can all listen to NPHET each evening telling us to be careful , the R number is rising. Standing in queues like lemmings. Making sacrifices. Whilst at the same time we have American tourists flying here to escape their own country increasing the risk massively.

The politicians need to grow a pair - enough is enough . They didnt close our borders quick enough at the start , and now they are going to drop the ball again leaving this unaddressed.

In a few weeks time when some locality is shut down , i am sure they will point the finger at the locals. Not the plague rats fleeing the sinking ship USA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,180 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

What's really sad for me right now was I was respecting foregoing a foreign holiday this year. I had planned one or two nights this summer in a hotel or b and b somewhere in Ireland to get away and to support our domestic tourism.
    There's not a cat in hells chance I'm going anywhere now knowing the Irish tourist hot-spots might be hot with Covid risks from tourists from America/UK etc.
    I'll be using my annual leave to fix up the garden etc.

To thine own self be true

We should be closed to tourists from high risk countries - end of story.

How the **** we can all listen to NPHET each evening telling us to be careful , the R number is rising. Whilst at the same time we have American tourists flying here to escape their own country increasing the risk massively.

The politicians need to grow a pair - enough is enough . They didnt close our borders quick enough at the start , and now they are going to drop the ball again leaving this unaddressed.

Explain to me the impact so far of these American tourists on our disease situation then, over the last month
    The effect on our rate is negligible
    We have a 0.3% positivity rate in tests

Reason for this success is simple,people are by and large social distancing from strangers when not drunk
    Our biggest problem looks to be corona parties and some bars that should lose their licence

Explain to me the impact so far of these American tourists on our disease situation then, over the last month
    The effect on our rate is negligible
    We have a 0.3% positivity rate in tests

Reason for this success is simple,people are by and large social distancing from strangers when not drunk
    Our biggest problem looks to be corona parties and some bars that should lose their licence

You know from the last 4 months that there is an incubation period with Corona.
    Watch this space for August.

What's really sad for me right now was I was respecting foregoing a foreign holiday this year. I had planned one or two nights this summer in a hotel or b and b somewhere in Ireland to get away and to support our domestic tourism.
    There's not a cat in hells chance I'm going anywhere now knowing the Irish tourist hot-spots might be hot with Covid risks from tourists from America/UK etc.
    I'll be using my annual leave to fix up the garden etc.

In all fairness,thats a very poor faith you have in hotels etc implementing covid 19 prevention regulations ,none of whom have an interest in cutting back on their cleaning regime
    I'm failing to see how customers of hotels would not be equally hygienic as its in their own interests
    Its all up to us now,we can be virus friendly or its enemy
    Its biggest enemy is people following guidelines

You know from the last 4 months that there is an incubation period with Corona.
    Watch this space for August.

yeah 2 weeks max,no surge yet and I'm not expecting anything huge if the pubs situation is policed properly
    There will be an increase but it will be mostly from the lockdown easing because there will be slip ups as the disease is here possibly since last year
    Getting it to zero without an effective vaccine is pie in the sky talk

In all fairness,thats a very poor faith you have in hotels etc implementing covid 19 prevention regulations ,none of whom have an interest in cutting back on their cleaning regime
    I'm failing to see how customers of hotels would not be equally hygienic as its in their own interests

I'm sorry but I think you can have all the cleaning in the world and best intentions but one little droplet is all it takes.
    I don't just mean hotels but the shops, bars, restaurants, public toilets etc in the tourist traps.
    We really should have left Ireland to the Irish this summer.
    Anyone coming here from a current CoVid hot-spot is a selfish twat imo.
    I was due to go to the Canaries in April which were all but CoVid free back then. Even if the flight hadn't been cancelled, there wasn't a hope I was going over there when the Irish numbers were escalating and potentially be the one to be carrying it into another country.

I'm sorry but I think you can have all the cleaning in the world and best intentions but one little droplet is all it takes.
    I don't just mean hotels but the shops, bars, restaurants, public toilets etc in the tourist traps.
    We really should have left Ireland to the Irish this summer.
    Anyone coming here from a current CoVid hot-spot is a selfish twat imo.
    I was due to go to the Canaries in April which were all but CoVid free back then. Even if the flight hadn't been cancelled, there wasn't a hope I was going over there when the Irish numbers were escalating and potentially be the one to be carrying it into another country.

well you're entitled to your opinion,I don't share it obviously
    I think the answer or the fight against this pandemic in the absence of vaccines/cures lies with each individual socially distancing from those of unknown virus status and using all the other tools drummed into us for months now
    The answer is not closing down tourism blanketedly
    You just apply focused pre arrival or airport local fast turnaround testing to make outcomes better than the good that they already are

The primary and best prevention though being those habits drummed into us now,washing etc and social distancing
    Doing those properly means no spread

• Registered Users Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

The answer is not closing down tourism blanketedly.You just apply focused pre arrival or airport local fast turnaround testing to make outcomes better than the good that they already are

That's a pipe dream unfortunately, try ringing the HSE and asking for a Covid test and you'll be told more or less to go get one yourself privately.
    The Navy ship that was parked in Dublin city is gone, Croke park drive through centre is gone.

No use people coming on here angrily waving their keyboards demanding all the Airports and Ferries are shutdown, go email your T.D and ask them to bring in free testing and ensure incoming travellers are downloading the tracing app...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

The Americas (all of them) are seriously skewing that number though no?

Apart from Sweden, Europe have pretty much controlled it now

Like Europe, the Americas are a mixed bag. Canada’s cases are mainly in two provinces, Quebec and Ontario, esp. the nursing homes of Quebec. This week, my Canadian province recorded its first new case in 43 days in a man returning from the US.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/covid19-newfoundland-labrador-july10-new-case-1.5644709

Movement within Canada is subject to various restrictions. In South America, Uruguay has done particularly well in keeping Covid out.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-06-30/in-midst-of-covid-chaos-one-latin-american-nation-gets-it-right

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭threeball

I suppose they'll change the mattress every day just to be sure. You're away with the fairies. You haven't the foggiest how this disease operates.

Advertisement