Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can we have some fcuking control on the airports from high risk countries please?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

saabsaab wrote: »
    At least you wouldn't be bringing in a new highly resistant variant! If we had stopped bringing in back in February we could be like New Zealand now.

No you wouldn’t, remember the S.Korea level of testing and tracing that Leo promised? No where near it.

NZ had pretty good contact tracing and sequencing when they needed it, Ireland testing has improved but contact tracing nope.

I would be so pee'd off if I had to do mandatory quarantine right now. Surely paying almost 2000 for 2 weeks, you deserve a safe enough country when you walk out, but nope, they walk out and can pick up infection from any one of us. Where's the sense in that?

When you leave quarantine and behave according to the guidelines it is very safe and little risk of picking it up.

The point of quarantine, is to prevent infected people coming into the country, and not following guidelines, and infecting other people.

This concept is super simple

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

faceman wrote: »
    How do you know?

Only 10% of people who have covid are spreaders and super spreaders are even less prevalent

All these travellers will have taken a PCR which reduces risk dramatically.

Travel isn’t the bad guy anymore you want it to be

We don't require " superspreaders" to end up with a situation where a disease such as covid is bought in by travellers and then spreads by regular means to other people. See the beginning of last year for details.

PCR tests are no golden amulet. They are simply a snapshot in time. And have been known to produce false positives on occasion. Can be faked but more importantly do not prevent travellers from being infected after the test in high risk crowded areas such as airports / public transport and risks from close proximity to others for an extended period of time such as airplanes - even allowing for masks and air filtration.

Travel may not be a 'bad guy' but needs to recogniged for the very real issue it entails with regard to the potential spread of infectious diseases such as covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭terenc

When are these disengneuinous clowns going to update the mandatory hotel quarantine list? No Poland, no Italy, no france -All of which are in their 4th wave with variants to beat the band.

Our goverment are a joke.

This country is where it is at this moment because of “political cronyism” a f*cking nod and a wink society.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

mandrake04 wrote: »
    Yeah that be pretty sh!te, but also imagine paying and being in quarantine then being released into a lockdown that almost nothing is open.

At least in NZ and Oz you have a normal life to look forward to.

That money is well spent over there but I don't think we're allowed to mention normal life in those countries.

• Advertisement

When you leave quarantine and behave according to the guidelines it is very safe and little risk of picking it up.

The point of quarantine, is to prevent infected people coming into the country, and not following guidelines, and infecting other people.

This concept is super simple

Why prevent infection coming in? We're already infected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Bowers has been very good throughout. Only RTÉ voice with a bit of cop on.

Bowers is a very 'both sides' kind of reporter though. Will include criticisms in the first part of the article but then will explain away these in the second part in a 'from their point of view' thing.

That money is well spent over there but I don't think we're allowed to mention normal life in those countries.

are we allowed to post pictures?

Sure Paddys day was a non-runner in Ireland.

Scrubbed up ok here wouldn't say its 100% normal ....but more normal than most back home.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?vanity=TheMercantileHotel&set=a.4212405355460548

and the weekend wasnt to bad either, a bit damp but better than sitting in the house.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?vanity=TheMercantileHotel&set=a.4230690280298722

Oh yes and not a mask in sight.

Why prevent infection coming in? We're already infected.

Because god knows how many more variants there might be

Also, if we don’t stop new infections coming in, it’s like emptying water out of a leaking boat without fixing the leak

Great username

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Also, if we don’t stop new infections coming in, it’s like emptying water out of a leaking boat without fixing the leak

Great username

This is part of the problem

Scaremongering

We don’t know how many planet killing asteroids are out there either

We know there are 4,000 variants out there. We know that 3 were of concern but are no longer of grave concern. The U.K. virus is prevalent in Ireland and most of Europe. The vaccines are capable of handling all variants.

If we live our lives with the “but the variants” mindset it’s like saying we should party like today is the last day on Earth because as asteroid might hit us tomorrow.

I’ve lived in Africa during Ebola outbreaks. If the virus was something that had effected more white people and been more prevalent in European news, Irish people would be screaming for more restrictions on people travelling from Africa to Europe permanently. Because you know, variants. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

faceman wrote: »
    This is part of the problem

Scaremongering

We don’t know how many planet killing asteroids are out there either

We know there are 4,000 variants out there. We know that 3 were of concern but are no longer of grave concern. The U.K. virus is prevalent in Ireland and most of Europe. The vaccines are capable of handling all variants.

If we live our lives with the “but the variants” mindset it’s like saying we should party like today is the last day on Earth because as asteroid might hit us tomorrow.

I’ve lived in Africa during Ebola outbreaks. If the virus was something that had effected more white people and been more prevalent in European news, Irish people would be screaming for more restrictions on people travelling from Africa to Europe permanently. Because you know, variants. :rolleyes:

Scaremongering? What, report my post then
    So your solution is “ah F#%k it, will be grand”

mandrake04 wrote: »
    are we allowed to post pictures?

Sure Paddys day was a non-runner in Ireland.

Scrubbed up ok here wouldn't say its 100% normal ....but more normal than most back home.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?vanity=TheMercantileHotel&set=a.4212405355460548

and the weekend wasnt to bad either, a bit damp but better than sitting in the house.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?vanity=TheMercantileHotel&set=a.4230690280298722

Oh yes and not a mask in sight.

Looks great, kinda jealous that we're not allowed any kind of fun like that or a normal life.

Looks great, kinda jealous that we're not allowed any kind of fun like that or a normal life.

would you class it as 'normal life'? asking for a friend.

Great username

I read the rules regarding hotel quarantine. People gets two tests while quarantining. There's no talk of testing them after quarantining in case they pick up anything in the hotel. New variants are going to get out and Ireland is going to do a crap job at the whole thing anyways.

Also you can fly from Brazil to a European country. Then they end up sharing a flight with the Irish from France or Spain. But sure you can't quarantine the Irish sharing a flight with Brazilians.

It's nothing but optics. Need to quarantine everyone but sure can't be doing that here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,293 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Bowers has been very good throughout. Only RTÉ voice with a bit of cop on.

I gained a lot (more) respect for Fergal Bowers when he refused to enter the invite-only press briefing on the vaccine rollout Donnelly tried to create last month.

He reports the news in the way the news should be reported and gives his opinion from both sides.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Scaremongering? What, report my post then
    So your solution is “ah F#%k it, will be grand”

Why would I report your post? Just because i disagree with you doesn’t I have an issue with you personally. You’re entitled to your opinion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭crossman47

Corholio wrote: »
    Bowers is a very 'both sides' kind of reporter though. Will include criticisms in the first part of the article but then will explain away these in the second part in a 'from their point of view' thing.

Which is what a good balanced reporter should do. Reporters should not be campaigners for a particular point of view. he is also good in not asking "gotcha" questions like some of those at the press conferences just angling for a headline.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,127 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

I find this story quite ridiculous and to be honest disturbing. A family of 5 quarantined in a room with 3 beds. They were coming back from a zero Covid country to work in healthcare in Ireland but were forced to quarantine because of a 45 minute stopover.

How is this right?

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0327/1206518-coronavirus-quarantine-ireland/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,976 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Family says hotel quarantine facilities 'unsafe' https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0327/1206518-coronavirus-quarantine-ireland/

if they had come one day earlier they could have avoided this :/

how about they recognize its for other peoples safety too

I find this story quite ridiculous and to be honest disturbing. A family of 5 quarantined in a room with 3 beds. They were coming back from a zero Covid country to work in healthcare in Ireland but were forced to quarantine because of a 45 minute stopover.

How is this right?

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0327/1206518-coronavirus-quarantine-ireland/

who did they interact with at Dubai Airport and the flight from there to Dublin Airport?

• Advertisement

who did they interact with at Dubai Airport and the flight from there to Dublin Airport?

Why are you asking me? How would I know?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

This is nuts. What kind of country have we become.

https://twitter.com/samanthalibreri/status/1375803371282644996?s=21

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

I wonder how many USA tourists will be asked to quarantine if they dont have a negative test? Because for some odd reason they are still not on the list of red countries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,322 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

How is this right?

That's the rules. Why didn't they book themselves 2 rooms or did they actually book any accommodation at all? The RTE report is rather void of facts, they could have booked a single room for each if they wanted to.

https://www.quarantinehotelsireland.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭munstergirl

How is this right?

Read what the article says, they have 3 double beds in TWO hotel bedrooms interconnecting, if you flew to Australia you would have to quarantine in hotel too. If they tidied up their suitcase spread on floor they would have more room. 1st world problems.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

The whole scouts honour I’ll stay home boss and fill in this form is wrong, the whole let’s only quarantine a few countries is wrong, let’s quarantine vaccinated people is wrong. I understand this woman’s frustration the room is inadequate for a family of 5. But it’s the current set up, right or wrong. She should have just played the system and flown into London. If she was flying the other way to Perth it’s the same. Ours is bonkers cause it’s so hit and miss, but thems the breaks.

How is this right?

France had 41K cases yesterday ....but it’s not a high risk country because it’s European or something dopey like that.

The Irish government taking p!ss,, they don’t want it to work because if it did then people would say should be done last year.

Read what the article says, they have 3 double beds in TWO hotel bedrooms interconnecting, if you flew to Australia you would have to quarantine in hotel too. If they tidied up their suitcase spread on floor they would have more room. 1st world problems.

Forcing them to quarantine in a Hotel at all is ridiculous.
    They're coming from a country with no covid into one that's riddled and yet they must be locked up to keep us safe.

Hopefully more stories like this will show what a sham the whole thing is and get it scrapped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Yea it’s exactly that, the system is so flawed that you just have to be smart and try be as cautious as you can

But when it boils down to it, you have to look after yourself and your family, nobody else really gives a damn and one has to do what they must to protect their family and their health

These rules are outrageous but with some planning you can get to where you need to and work with them

• Advertisement

Forcing them to quarantine in a Hotel at all is ridiculous.
    They're coming from a country with no covid into one that's riddled and yet they must be locked up to keep us safe.

Hopefully more stories like this will show what a sham the whole thing is and get it scrapped.

how did they get to this country?

Advertisement