Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can we have some fcuking control on the airports from high risk countries please?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

saabsaab wrote: »
    Just think of what it would be with Covid to deal with as well!

That's why they took the precaution against Covid, NZ ICU capacity is even worse than Ireland's.

intensive-care-beds-capacity.JPG

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Can anyone explain why America isn't on the list of countries for the MHQ?

If the idea is to stop new variants coming in, didn't America choose not to control the spread of the virus? There could be new variants but they wouldn't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

mandrake04 wrote: »
    That's why they took the precaution against Covid, NZ ICU capacity is even worse than Ireland's.

Ireland has the youngest population in the EU and is quite similar to that of New Zealand’s. That is a big factor in determining ICU capacity. ICU capacity is not just a bed, it is also a group of staff that are on active standby in the hospital ready to deal with a patient. Having loads of excess ICU beds just in case would be completely inefficient. Being able to ramp up ICU capacity at short notice is what’s key and we did a bit of that over the past year when needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

If the idea is to stop new variants coming in, didn't America choose not to control the spread of the virus? There could be new variants but they wouldn't know.

Because our shambles of an administration deem big buisnesses more important than their citizens lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Politics. Ireland wouldn’t dare putting USA on the list for fear of upsetting Biden.

It’s why Suriname is on the list despite having 5 cases a day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

IngazZagni wrote: »
    Ireland has the youngest population in the EU and is quite similar to that of New Zealand’s. That is a big factor in determining ICU capacity. ICU capacity is not just a bed, it is also a group of staff that are on active standby in the hospital ready to deal with a patient. Having loads of excess ICU beds just in case would be completely inefficient. Being able to ramp up ICU capacity at short notice is what’s key and we did a bit of that over the past year when needed.

Yeah I work in healthcare so I kinda...eh...already know that. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

I think all the countries on the list are countries with a defined rate of a variant of concern.

I would suggest standing up mhq for all travellers for all travellers with coronavirus rates oin the population of a certain rate.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Case rates in the US are on a par with Ireland when you look at per size of population. However cases are continuing to trend downward while Ireland is the opposite. Also their vaccination programme is Concorde compared to our paper plane.

Some states in the US have far less cases per year of population than Ireland with California seeing half our rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

You mean instead.

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Because of their vaccination programme I'd think... Now if it was this time last year it would be a great idea!

• Advertisement

mandrake04 wrote: »

It's not just about ICU beds though, NZ had a stockpile of PPE ready to go to hospitals if needed for example

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Just read online of an Irish guy who was in Mexico, Mexico is not on the list and spent a few days in hotel quarantine, received a negative test and was able to leave because of Mexico not on the list.

Am I correct in thinking he still has to do the home isolation? But now that he's left quarantine and with a negative test, he'll probably think he's fine to be out mixing with others.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,069 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Just read online of an Irish guy who was in Mexico, Mexico is not on the list and spent a few days in hotel quarantine, received a negative test and was able to leave because of Mexico not on the list.

Am I correct in thinking he still has to do the home isolation? But now that he's left quarantine and with a negative test, he'll probably think he's fine to be out mixing with others.

Not sure if it is the case still (so correct me if I'm wrong) but back in January when I came back from Greece I had a test 5 days after my return and since it was negative I was allowed to reduce the self isolation time. I restricted my movements for 12 days anyway (I live on my own and work from home so it was easy) I believe though that I didn't strictly had to.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭IQO

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/arid-40253549.html

Same vibes as that family of 5 returning from Australia and being in the hotel quarantine. Unpreparedness. As this guy was already in a medical facility in Mexico (for doing a root canal, sure), he could have just gotten a negative covid test there and get into Ireland without any issues. He should just be open about returning from his holiday there.. Mexico is not on the hotel quarantine list anyway. Interesting that an airline let him board to Ireland without the negative test, or maybe his flight was delayed and the 72 hours passed during his journey.

Yes, he should still do the 14 days of home quarantine.

I returned also myself from Mexico last week (I'm not the guy in the article, I had a negative test), no issues passing the border control here - although I was warned that Gardai may check on my home quarantine and possibly arrest me if I would be breaking the rules. I knew these rules beforehand so now staying home and working from home, fine with that - but very happy I was able to peek into a different world for a short while, it felt like being back in 2019 for two weeks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Unless it’s a category 2 country, the traveller is free from self isolation/quarantine if he/she tests negative after 5 days

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/b4020-travelling-to-ireland-during-the-covid-19-pandemic/#post-arrival-quarantine-requirements-for-all-passengers-arriving-in-ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 86,750 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 5,069 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Interesting.
    I would like to see the reaction if this actually happens - adding US where the vaccination program is really going well and adding EU countries when EU prepares for a common approach of vaccine certificate/passport (or whatever is called) - and leaving UK out of it - I assume because of the CTA and the border with the north.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,818 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

When we hit near full vaccination or thereabouts will we need to limit travel from those countried outside the EU who are not vaccinated unless they have private health insurance?

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭BlondeBomb

What is happening to the people who don’t pre book the hotels when they arrive or to people who wouldn’t have the means to pay?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,998 ✭✭✭✭josip

BlondeBomb wrote: »
    What is happening to the people who don’t pre book the hotels when they arrive or to people who wouldn’t have the means to pay?

You'll pay for it. I'll pay for it. And many others will pay for it.

• Advertisement

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

The article title is incorrect. NPHET made a recommendation. The list has to be signed off by government, including the minister for foreign affairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Route1

Have a friend coming in from states next week, has had Covid and has test planned pre flight. Are they going to be forced to quarantine now?

Route1 wrote: »
    Have a friend coming in from states next week, has had Covid and has test planned pre flight. Are they going to be forced to quarantine now?

No decision has been made yet

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Macca421

Hey Guys, I am in Brazil atm, We are booked to come home next month on the 24th, My wife is Brazillian and we have been out here taking care of some family business. We fly through Portugal, how will this work, could we let through as the flight is from Lisbon? I am also classed as an essential worker as i work in healthcare, does this mean that I can avoid quarantine and my wife cant? I have also had covid in December so by right i should be immune now, and for the next couple of months? Just wondering if anyone knows if these circumstances somehow stop us from needing the hotel craic. On that note too, we have our own home and we would be fully intending to do our civic duty of self-isolation when returning. Just don't really fancy shelling out 2.5k to stay in a travel lodge! Any info would be welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,888 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

faceman wrote: »
    The article title is incorrect. NPHET made a recommendation. The list has to be signed off by government, including the minister for foreign affairs.
    its a faulty recommendation too

The basis of being put on the list is that countries have infection rates of 500+ or variants of concern. For example like Austria where there was a large outbreak of the south africa variant in Tyrol (returning golfers aparantly!).

Aside from Moselle in France, theres nowhere in Europe with variants of concern.

What are NPHET up to ? If they want zero covid then they should just say it and have all incoming arrivals lobbed into a hotel - but basing a hotel qurantine for a swathe of countries based on psuedo science is just sneaky and doesnt lead to any increased confidence in their decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 kajzer

If I travel from a high risk country, but was vaccinated, will i still have to stay in the hotel?

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭M_Murphy57

kajzer wrote: »
    If I travel from a high risk country, but was vaccinated, will i still have to stay in the hotel?

Yes, that's what's so ****ing stupid.

They are introducing PCR tests on arrival now too which if you fail see you sent to covid jail on your own dime.

We need an election now, this crowd have lost their minds and need to go.

What happens if somebody tests positive 3 days before taking a flight to Ireland, are you refused at the boarding gate?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,061 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

What happens if somebody tests positive 3 days before taking a flight to Ireland, are you refused at the boarding gate?

You shouldn’t even be at the boarding gate.
    But yes of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

M_Murphy57 wrote: »
    Yes, that's what's so ****ing stupid.

They are introducing PCR tests on arrival now too which if you fail see you sent to covid jail on your own dime.

We need an election now, this crowd have lost their minds and need to go.

Those ****ers trying to prevent covid from coming into the country. How dare they!

Advertisement