Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can we have some fcuking control on the airports from high risk countries please?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

threeball wrote: »
    I suppose they'll change the mattress every day just to be sure. You're away with the fairies. You haven't the foggiest how this disease operates.

No one is an expert but there's some rabid exaggeration

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭threeball

Mortelaro wrote: »
    No one is an expert but there's some rabid exaggeration

You don't need to be an expert to understand that flying in dickheads that couldn't be bothered to do what it takes to control a disease in their own country definitely won't give a toss about transmitting it in ours. The yanks should be told to sling their hook in no uncertain terms until they get their house in order. Same for any other country with high transmission rates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

You don't need to be an expert to understand that flying in dickheads that couldn't be bothered to do what it takes to control a disease in their own country definitely won't give a toss about transmitting it in ours. The yanks should be told to sling their hook in no uncertain terms until they get their house in order. Same for any other country with high transmission rates.

Thats harsh
    They're all dickheads :confused:
    Its not as simple as that

BTW Boston's covid outcome with a population similar to Ireland but cooped up in a metro area is better than ours
    New York has improved such that covid 19 positive tests are now only 0.8%

Chicago's is high alright at 2.6%

So Nope there aren't rivers of Covid flowing out of those planes I'd expect hardly any tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

At the top of page one of Reddit Ireland today

No mean feat on the same day the legendary Big Jack passed away

It's great to see momentum building for this

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Letter template from Reddit.
    Dear

I have concerns regarding the reports of American tourists entering and travelling around Ireland without any restrictions (by reports, none of them are isolating) This is an insult to the people in this country who went into lockdown, thousands losing their jobs and yet we done it willingly in order to protect the citizens of this country. Allowing visitors from the most infected country in the world to arrive on our shores is an absolute disgrace and more importantly it again puts our frontline workers in danger. The government needs to step up to the mark and either ban American tourists or put more stringent measures in place.

Kind regards

Send it to your local TDs.
    https://www.whoismytd.com/

• Advertisement

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Thats harsh
    They're all dickheads :confused:
    Its not as simple as that

BTW Boston's covid outcome with a population similar to Ireland but cooped up in a metro area is better than ours
    New York has improved such that covid 19 positive tests are now only 0.8%

Chicago's is high alright at 2.6%

So Nope there aren't rivers of Covid flowing out of those planes I'd expect hardly any tbh

And Dallas? A pretty small city but over 1000 cases a day. A state which railed against any kind of lockdown whatsoever. If you're so enamoured with the yanks, go live with them. At least 50% of them are irresponsible gob****es and we should bother trying to find out which 50% a particular tourist belongs to. Its more important with protect our economy and citizens.

Thanks Citizen

What Reddit Ireland thread was that in today?

There was a few on this topic on page one alone

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Thanks Citizen

What Reddit Ireland thread was that in today?

There was a few on this topic on page one alone
    In the comments of the link you posted.

I've done my bit anyway.
    519595.png

In the comments of the link you posted.

Thanks

There was 700 replies to it so hadn't seen them all

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭YellowBucket

Considering they’re getting 12% positivity rates on tests in some parts of Texas (up from 2% in early June) keeping those doors open seems incomprehensible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

If I were a TD and got 50 copies of the exact same email I’d probably not pay too much attention to them. Anyone can copy and paste. I think if people are going to email their TD they should write their own email. 50 emails that are all different but concerning the same topic would surely be more effective.

Everyone should bombard their Twitter, etc and keep it public. Too easy to for them to ignore a private email.

Considering they’re getting 12% positivity rates on tests in some parts of Texas (up from 2% in early June) keeping those doors open seems incomprehensible.

They're having Covid parties ffs. People who don't believe it an actual thing trying to prove their belief by having parties to see if they catch the virus. They've created a country where being thick as a brick is actively encouraged and rewarded. Theres no reason we should suffer for their Darwin award winning levels of stupidity.

They're having Covid parties ffs. People who don't believe it an actual thing trying to prove their belief by having parties to see if they catch the virus. They've created a country where being thick as a brick is actively encouraged and rewarded. Theres no reason we should suffer for their Darwin award winning levels of stupidity.

And we leave our doors open to these imbeciles because we’ve always been whores for the american coin. Money > lives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Amazing to see the hostility aimed at the general American population mainly in my opinion due to the administration they are governed by being complete fools. Their international standing has really declined.

Such a sad decline. I definitely agree that we need to stop flights right away for an indefinite period until they get a grip on the virus.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

I think they always wanted to go down herd immunity route. They only put restrictions in so that the hospitals didn't get overwhelmed. But now that the hospitals are doing ok, they don't really care.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I think they always wanted to go down herd immunity route. They only put restrictions in so that the hospitals didn't get overwhelmed. But now that the hospitals are doing ok, they don't really care.

Are you talking about Ireland?

There has to be a reason flights from America haven't been banned. It's not an oversight

My guess would be theres been strong pressure from the MNCs, that travel is affecting their operations here.
    These things are always driven by money and nothing else adds up.

It's worth noting, that man who lived in Kildare who had a documentary made on him. He had a family farm and Intel or similar wanted his land.
    In the end the IDA tried to force him out with a bogus CPO that he challenged all the way.

If we have verified examples of a Government department issuing bogus CPOs to satisfy American MNCs it's not a stretch to imagine they could force the Government into allowing Ireland be used as a base into the EU.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Stheno wrote: »
    Are you talking about Ireland?

Yes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,675 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

So angry having read the Sunday world article about the Texas flights and Americans swanning around Ireland.

My preferred option - all American flights (and other countries with an unacceptable r rate) banned

I could live with - enforced hotel quarantine with mandatory testing paid for by the arrivals

Everyone should bombard their Twitter, etc and keep it public. Too easy to for them to ignore a private email.

I’ve sent 3 emails over the last few months to the Taoiseach office.

All I got in reply was a template acknowledgement.

A kiss my ass response as far as I am concerned.

It feels like a slap in the face for those of us with vulnerable family members and friends doing everything we can think of to keep covid free. So angry.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

There has to be a reason flights from America haven't been banned. It's not an oversight

My guess would be theres been strong pressure from the MNCs, that travel is affecting their operations here.
    These things are always driven by money and nothing else adds up.

It's worth noting, that man who lived in Kildare who had a documentary made on him. He had a family farm and Intel or similar wanted his land.
    In the end the IDA tried to force him out with a bogus CPO that he challenged all the way.

If we have verified examples of a Government department issuing bogus CPOs to satisfy American MNCs it's not a stretch to imagine they could force the Government into allowing Ireland be used as a base into the EU.

Most MNCs had global travel bans in place before March tbh, I doubt its them keeping flights open, with a majority of people wfh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Amazing to see the hostility aimed at the general American population mainly in my opinion due to the administration they are governed by being complete fools. Their international standing has really declined.

They voted for that administration. Maybe if they concentrated a bit more on equal education for all they wouldn’t be in this mess?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I never thought I would say this but I think the IRA should reform and start scaring these tourists back to their own countries as the Irish government seem to be useless in this respect.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭NSAman

So Ireland is open to American tourists??

Yet America is closed to Irish people?

FFS... will Ireland ever learn? Spent billions keeping the virus out of Irish people, only to allow Americans to spread it in Ireland?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

If you want to protest, its better to be seen. Emails won't do much. The emails will be discarded by who ever is the assistant of said TD.

If people want to get a point across RE Airports you need to get into your car, ask atleast 100 other people to do likewise. Drive to the airport, slowly drive around blocking all the road's, It will bring the area to a standstill. It's covid compliant. It will get attention.

Stheno wrote: »
    Most MNCs had global travel bans in place before March tbh, I doubt its them keeping flights open, with a majority of people wfh

Agreed. It is not coronary pressure keeping the flights from the USA going. Travel bans will be in place in the MNC for which I work well beyond anything that any governments have in place

Edit: “company pressure”

Agreed. It is not coronary pressure keeping the flights from the USA going. Travel bans will be in place in the MNC for which I work well beyond anything that any governments have in place

True

My company have an indefinite ban in place

• Advertisement

Just heard on Newstalk 2 Pm news a local cycle tour operator has refused business from Americans yesterday as they indicated they hadn’t quarantined and had no intention of doing so.

Fair play to that business, probably has lost some money but it’s the principle.

If people come here for tourism then make them quarantine and after 2 weeks, if covid free, more than welcome to enjoy Ireland

Advertisement