Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can we have some fcuking control on the airports from high risk countries please?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Somebody please explain to me why Israel is on the list?

April Fools joke?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

No doubt the variants came in by air the same everywhere. Defenders will argue.. In this order.

1) No need to stop air travel procedures etc will catch it before it spreads
    2) When it arrives Ireland is at fault for allowing it to spread unhindered.
    3) Too late now we may as well continue..

Repeat for each newly imported variant.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭joseywhales

saabsaab wrote: »
    No doubt the variants came in by air the same everywhere. Defenders will argue.. In this order.

How about,

4.) Variants will exist for the rest of human existence since this disease will become endemic, so disrupting all connection with the rest of the world is a pointless and costly endeavour.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,060 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

Chivito550 wrote: »

April Fools joke?

At least they removed Mauritius:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭carveone

April Fools joke?

Israel has 5 cases per 100k compared to Ireland's 11, France's 57, Poland's 75.

According to Coveney, "Hotel quarantine should not apply to countries where many Irish live". I'll just leave that there....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

They've lost the plot.

Politics at its worst. No evidence base whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,818 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

carveone wrote: »
    Israel has 5 cases per 100k compared to Ireland's 11, France's 57, Poland's 75.

According to Coveney, "Hotel quarantine should not apply to countries where many Irish live". I'll just leave that there....
    It's a joke, at one level they take NPHET's advice as gospel, here they are doing a complete favouritism to places their mates/families live in. Hard to take any decision serious now. There should be a rate per 100k and no matter what that country gets quarantined if it hits it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

Does ireland think they can borrow 28 billion and kill the economy and still pay out the PUP?

Even with vaccines life needs to go on, and there will be outbreaks of covid

So for everyone think its great to lock out countries go back to the middle ages with your thinking ,,

Madneess

• Registered Users Posts: 86,749 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Can we just test everyone on arrival from anywhere and if positive then mandatory quarantine

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Can we just test everyone on arrival from anywhere and if positive then mandatory quarantine

FFG Cronies are generally too thick to be in the medical science field so they can't benefit, hotels on the other hand are the mainstay of corrupt developers all over the country.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

saabsaab wrote: »

Which variants are you worried about and why?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

April Fools joke?

Due to Palestine?

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Golfman64

Would you accept the same treatment for people already living in Ireland and who have not travelled but test positive here?

Same for confirmed close contacts?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

YFlyer wrote: »
    Due to Palestine?

Did they reopen the border between palestine and Israel to humans?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Given we know the goalposts have been changed by Donnelly to quarantine countries with high rates not just “variants of concern” (despite what was agreed), then we should be putting all positive cases and their close contacts in Ireland in quarantine

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Did they reopen the border between palestine and Israel to humans?

Don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

While I read that there's a New York variant now and there's no quarantine for them.

Whats new.... Are we not a kindof "a colony"
    Biden is Irish and he loves us, we do not ask US Companies to pay tax..
    If the soldiers want to have a big of chips they fly to Shannon...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/sensible-to-add-france-and-germany-to-hotel-quarantine-over-south-african-variant-prof-says-1105542.html

Lockdown could have been avoided if we had imposed travel restrictions last summer. Government was willing to put the whole country under house arrest rather than risk annoying the EU. Still seems to be the priority.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Bambi wrote: »
    https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/sensible-to-add-france-and-germany-to-hotel-quarantine-over-south-african-variant-prof-says-1105542.html

Lockdown could have been avoided if we had imposed travel restrictions last summer. Government was willing to put the whole country under house arrest rather than risk annoying the EU. Still seems to be the priority.
    Likely to be legal issues with applying it to EU countries. As for last year FG were never fans of the idea at all and argued it was a far smaller risk than locals not keeping away from each other.

Has she forgotten about the CTA and Northern Ireland border? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

is_that_so wrote: »
    Likely to be legal issues with applying it to EU countries. As for last year FG were never fans of the idea at all and argued it was a far smaller risk than locals not keeping away from each other.

Plenty of EU countries have broken its rules to no ill effect. Remind me what happened to Germany when they ignored the Dublin convention during the migrant crisis?

There's a mindset in government that they're just branch managers for Brussels.

Thats what happens when you built a monololithic Europe Union based around a political ideology rather than mutual interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,749 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Golfman64 wrote: »
    Would you accept the same treatment for people already living in Ireland and who have not travelled but test positive here?

Same for confirmed close contacts?

I would assume they would quarantine at home and if not yes then force them, why go out spreading

• Registered Users Posts: 11,929 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

government not even taking soft easy measure to put people off travelling (especially before xmas) as NPHET advised them to, they could run ads targeting (attempt to) Irish internet users in the UK warning against travelling for anything but absolutely necessity Ec6P0NIX0AIKWoN?format=png&name=900x900https://t.co/cnf5sctbNg?amp=1

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

The quarantine list is a joke.

Only exceptions that should be made is direct flights from countries that either have 0 covid, or have herd immunity via vaccines.

The current list is nonsense, as we have countries with far fewer cases on there, and other countries with a lot of cases not on the list.

The entire thing is farce, and it is clear the government have set this up to fail.

They need to do this properly ffs. We should have done this properly last year, we know it can work if done properly, but our government is determined for this to fail.

Would also need the North to follow the same list as a minimum, if not the entire UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

Not an epidemiologist but I doubt if she is correct on that. Numbers can build up rapidly from very few cases without any external sources. And then, of course, you have the open border with the North which renders travel restrictions to other countries futile.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

hmmm wrote: »
    Now why are we blocking people from Israel, a country with much more people vaccinated, no unusual variants and a rapidly diminishing case count from entering this country without quarantining?
    The government may want to send the message that vaccines are not a panacea, magic bullet etc. to the pandemic and that the extent of immunity from vaccinations is not, as yet, fully known.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,643 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

The government may want to send the message that vaccines are not a panacea, magic bullet etc. to the pandemic and that the extent of immunity from vaccinations is not, as yet, fully known.

I seriously doubt that's what they're at. The government will be told in no uncertain terms to fúck away off by the population in general if they try to pull that one after going all in on the idea that vaccines are the answer over the last few months.

Not an epidemiologist but I doubt if she is correct on that. Numbers can build up rapidly from very few cases without any external sources. And then, of course, you have the open border with the North which renders travel restrictions to other countries futile.

Futile, eh? Interesting logic, lets apply it.

We have no control over airports which renders our lockdowns futile

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭tjhook

I find it strange that I can't travel more than a few KM from my home except for urgent matters, but anybody can enter the country for any reason (e.g. a holiday, visit, whatever) and is free to move about.

Perhaps the gardai could set up outside airports/ports and tun back anybody entering (not just those leaving) for non-critical purposes? I'm fairly confident that most people entering the country are traveling more than 5KM from the airport/port.

Alternatively, allow everybody to travel freely within the country, regardless of whether they live here or are visiting.

• Advertisement

tjhook wrote: »
    I find it strange that I can't travel more than a few KM from my home except for urgent matters, but anybody can enter the country for any reason (e.g. a holiday, visit, whatever) and is free to move about.

Perhaps the gardai could set up outside airports/ports and tun back anybody entering (not just those leaving) for non-critical purposes? I'm fairly confident that most people entering the country are traveling more than 5KM from the airport/port.

Alternatively, allow everybody to travel freely within the country, regardless of whether they live here or are visiting.

well that was a whole load of nonsense

A, Gardai arent turning anyone back. You are advised to return home OR face a fine if you continue your journey

B, Turn people back that are Irish residents and citizens is against human rights and the UN's 'right to return'. That wasnt well thought out at all.

C, for I dunno, the hundreth time maybe, 5km IS ONLY FOR EXERCISE. Nothing else, no other reason. Just exercise

D, Returning to where you live is essential so anyone arriving into Dublin airport can only be directed to return home, where they are going anyway.

E, All persons within the state including those that have arrived are subject to the same level 5 restrictions so they can only travel to their residence, as you can.

Where is your logic in all of this?

Advertisement