Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can we have some fcuking control on the airports from high risk countries please?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,236 ✭✭✭saabsaab

I wouldn't mind 10 days on Achill actually. But wouldn't you need ten islands? To keep things rotated.

Why rotate? Achill is big, has hotels and a bridge for easy access and control but others may suit too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

But they're sharing a flight with potentially infected people. You can't get a direct flight from Brazil but can get a flight from Brazil to Europe. This second flight is a concern.

What's the point having a negative PCR test from Europe when you can sit beside a Brazilian and still pick up covid? This negative test will just give a false sense of security and have people think they're fine when they could be incubating the virus.

Most of the EU now have banned non essential travel from countries such as Brazil, South Africa and have imposed quarantine for those that travelling for essential reasons.

So if arriving into any EU country directly- essential travelers from such countries are likley to end up in quarentine. Indirectly they are still going to end up in quarantine.

Also its yet another reason not to have homegrown eejits flying to Dubai for non essential reasons etc so they are not sitting beside the medical rep guy for example from Brazil flying there for work purposes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

saabsaab wrote: »
    I am but due to our population density and spread it may not take off here more likely a more deadly one from a large population centre where the virus is not controlled. Yes they do work to some extent, so far so good.

More likely to mutate indoors today at the hundreds of house parties going on.

gally74 wrote: »
    More likely to mutate indoors today at the hundreds of house parties going on.

Sunny now should kill the virus today. Where are the house parties?

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭a_squirrelman

saabsaab wrote: »
    Why rotate? Achill is big, has hotels and a bridge for easy access and control but others may suit too.

Well if you're gonna dump us all on Achill what if I get infected on my last day by a newcomer on day 1?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭kravmaga

Is there anything to help people out to pay the cost of quarantining back in future?

Sounds like these girls wouldn't have a problem paying it back in future... Before their next trip to Dubai.

Here they are in all their glory, named and shamed. Niamh and Kirsty from the Mansions, the Judge needs to send out a strong message with these two.

They basically have given the 2 fingers to the state, big fine / conviction.

https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/dublinairport-flight-arrest-gardai-passport-20314162

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭kravmaga

Variants detected and not related to travel. How did they come here?

The UK, Kent variant came here with Irish based living in UK returning home visiting friends and family for Christmas 2020.

The Brazilian variant came here with Brazilians over 2,000 returning back in January from visiting friends and family in Brazil for Christmas 2020.

Now we have a cluster fcuk and thats why the cases here now are high with still considerable high deaths also.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,875 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

hmmm wrote: »
    We will have to live with the risk of new variants, in the same way as we live with the risk of influenza variants.

It's not the same. It's all well and good saying "we'll just live with it". That will last until the first day of the overwhelming of the health system.

Not just bad for Covid cases but for everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

hmmm wrote: »
    What it shows is a sense of realism that Covid is not the be-all and end-all of our lives, particularly with vaccinations giving us a route out of this in the coming months.

I bet the government are probably now regretting that they even agreed to quarantine hotels based on the media hysteria. Yes small numbers of people with the virus are going to come in to the country, but the economic cost and social cost of quarantining large numbers of people would be outrageous. Neither are we going to shut down international travel just to suit the perpetually outraged who think this is somehow a realistic and proportionate response to a relatively small threat.

In the coming weeks and months we are going to see restrictions being raised, even while Covid continues to circulate at low levels. We will have to live with the risk of new variants, in the same way as we live with the risk of influenza variants. What that balance will be I'm not sure, but the people who think that we will impose some sort of indefinite quarantine system "Just in case" need to wise up a bit.

It's not just the media though. It's the opinion of Nphet, the scientific community, public health figures, as well as the vast majority of the public that the implementation of proper hotel quarantine is warranted.

Dont let leo and his hyperbole fool you. It's not an indefinite measure and can be eased quite quickly as we accelerate the vaccine program, as well as exempting all fully vaccinated people in the meantime.

It's not just the media though. It's the opinion of Nphet, the scientific community, public health figures, as well as the vast majority of the public that the implementation of proper hotel quarantine is warranted.

Dont let leo and his hyperbole fool you. It's not an indefinite measure and can be eased quite quickly as we accelerate the vaccine program, as well as exempting all fully vaccinated people in the meantime.

Stop it, you're making sense!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Arturo Delgado

The saddest part of this entire story is that a 25 year old and 30 year old feel the need to have cosmetic surgery.

That’s utterly sad on so many levels

I might be jumping to conclusions but I doubt they're the sharpest tools in the box.

I might be jumping to conclusions but I doubt they're the sharpest tools in the box.

I hope punishment is swift and severe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

It's not the same. It's all well and good saying "we'll just live with it". That will last until the first day of the overwhelming of the health system

We can worry about that IF that ever happens. I doubt it though to be honest with highly effective vaccines that they can tweak on short notice, no variants proven to significantly avoid the vaccines and increasingly better treatments that can significantly shorten hospital stays.

But you can keep hiding away if you want, 'just incase'.

• The case of the two women is a strange story and not adding up for me. Wonder if it's anything to do with the business operations of a well known "boxing promoter" from Dublin 8 who resides in Dubai.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,238 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

One of them claimed in court they're reliant on the allowance they get for single motherhood and yet flies there for boobs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,322 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

The case of the two women is a strange story and not adding up for me.
    Exactly, who was minding their kids while they were away? Did they win the money for the trip and breast enhancements on the horses?
    He said Kirstie McGrath is mother to two young children aged six and 10 and there is no one else to take care of them.

He said Niamh Mulready is mother to a seven-year-old child and had refused to go into quarantine as she needed to get home to look after her child.
    https://www.rte.ie/news/2021/0403/1207737-courts-quarantine/

Mr French said that Ms Mulreany was on the lone parent’s allowance and needed to care for her child.
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/mums-who-travelled-to-dubai-for-cosmetic-surgery-held-onquarantine-hotel-breach-charge-40271490.html

• Registered Users Posts: 23,875 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Hurrache wrote: »
    One of them claimed in court they're reliant on the allowance they get for single motherhood and yet flies there for boobs.

Are they welfare dependents?

They should be made account for every cent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Jane98

One of the news article suggested that this was their second trip to Dubai in a few weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,764 ✭✭✭Trampas

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0403/1207768-covid-19-quarantine/

This one has aged well. Last week we had people doing a runner. This week we have people who say they need to go to kids when no problem leaving them home to go to Dubai multiple times and giving the law the middle finger. Should be made an example to stop others trying it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭NSAman

Are they welfare dependents?

You can’t say that! It’s generalising of all those who fly to Dubai for boob implant who are single mothers!.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,772 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

what's worse was that in one article one of the father's stated that they weren't allowed on their flight home as they didn't have a hotel booked under quarantine, and they weren't allowed fly - spent two days in the airport and some independent TD approach Simon Covney to arrange for them to fly home - should have left them out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,499 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Hurrache wrote: »

..they also said their children rely on them.....and yet fly to Dubai...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

How Much Does Breast Augmentation Cost in Dubai? Dubai Cosmetic Surgery Clinic offers breast augmentation surgery at highly competitive rates. The average starting price of Breast Augmentation is 27,000 AED that's 6,251 Euros. 2 tits

Their second trip as well . Accommodation, flights, and whatever treatments they had done first time . Well well in excess of 10 grand spent.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Needed to get home to mind the kid. Pass on any infections to the kid and send them into school. Self-isolating at home my hole and they aren't the only two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,826 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Just a thought. Potentially involved with other high profile Irish ppl living in that region maybe??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,826 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

The case of the two women is a strange story and not adding up for me. Wonder if it's anything to do with the business operations of a well known "boxing promoter" from Dublin 8 who resides in Dubai.

This is what I’m wondering too.

Something doesn’t add up with these ones

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Are you not supposed to pay for the hotel in advance ?

Where the Mrs comes from (Thailand), you have to stump up the cash in advance before you are allowed on the plane, Thai or otherwise.

Mind you, it would not be wise to pull this stunt over there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Is it Friday the Dubai flight arrives into Dublin?

So last week we had the family living in Australia and going home to Sligo. This week we get these two single mothers getting their tits done up.

Looking forward to next week's scandal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,555 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Ace2007 wrote: »
    what's worse was that in one article one of the father's stated that they weren't allowed on their flight home as they didn't have a hotel booked under quarantine, and they weren't allowed fly - spent two days in the airport and some independent TD approach Simon Covney to arrange for them to fly home - should have left them out there.

Assume there's another issue with repatriation of Irish citizens, can't leave people stranded abroad?

• Advertisement

But they're sharing a flight with potentially infected people. You can't get a direct flight from Brazil but can get a flight from Brazil to Europe. This second flight is a concern.

What's the point having a negative PCR test from Europe when you can sit beside a Brazilian and still pick up covid? This negative test will just give a false sense of security and have people think they're fine when they could be incubating the virus.

Valid point but my understanding is that the measures on planes actually make transmission unlikely

Advertisement