Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can we have some fcuking control on the airports from high risk countries please?

Comments

TheDriver wrote: »
    Assume there's another issue with repatriation of Irish citizens, can't leave people stranded abroad?

All they had to do was book the hotel. That was it. They wouldn't and therefore no fight.

There's no requirement for any country to bring people back purely because they won't take the steps themselves

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,301 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

"legal aid was granted" that's the main thing...

https://jrnl.ie/5400257

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,322 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

gmisk wrote: »
    "legal aid was granted" that's the main thing...

https://jrnl.ie/5400257
    Ffs, such a crooked country we live in, there should have been bailiffs at their homes to seize assets to cover the costs. They must have spent circa €10k each on this trip alone yet now haven't the means to pay legal costs.

Ffs, such a crooked country we live in, there should have been bailiffs at their homes to seize assets to cover the costs. They must have spent circa €10k each on this trip alone yet now haven't the means to pay legal costs.
    Its just total BS...second trip in a couple of weeks...they have dependent children...but it didn't stop them flying off to UAE to get a boob job in the middle of a pandemic! Madness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,826 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Its just total BS...second trip in a couple of weeks...they have dependent children...but it didn't stop them flying off to UAE to get a boob job in the middle of a pandemic! Madness

Has to be more to this story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,772 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

No idea what convictions they could get but wouldn't be great if the criminal conviction they get would prevent them from entering UAE or other foreign countries in future.

Gradius wrote: »
    There was never a good reason to keep international travel open, including airports.

No medicine, ppe or food so.

Who knows....but most of info is out there I would suggest already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,333 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

MTK.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Jaysus the rookie detectives are out tonight :D The scummy comments that come out in this thread are as deplorable as the behaviours for which you’re moaning about.

A few more important things from the story than where they got the money from and commenting on body image.

* 3 negative tests over the space of a week (let’s not forget the law is supposed to protect public health but if measures are taken to protect public health, should that override the law?)
    * The issue of the conditions of bail severity compared to more serious crimes. (Granted in the spirit of the law it’s not reasonable to allow them release at home but still)
    * the constitutional issue that confirmed covid cases are permitted to quarantine at home

The case will become the test for the future of MHQ

• Advertisement

Gradius wrote: »
    There was never a good reason to keep international travel open, including airports.

That particular thing, along with a list of other stuff, should have been implemented waaaaaaay back.

Instead, we have a load of half measures that have achieved little beyond using up the goodwill of the population yonks ago. Nicely done.

As if it wasn't apparent enough, there was never a coordinated plan to effectively change this situation for the better.

"Living with covid" my arse.

So what exactly did you want to happen - cut Ireland off from Europe and have everyone that wants to come in/out go through NI?

At what stage would you reopen the airports? Even Australia has flights going into the country.

This idea that we just shut down and stop everything is all well and good until you realize that we are an island and are heavily dependent on imports and even exports for the economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭tintin67

In fairness the 25 year old seems to have done pretty well for herself as a single mother living in an expensive apartment block in Temple Bar and able to afford to fly in and out of Dubai for expensive cosmetic procedures.

faceman wrote: »
    Jaysus the rookie detectives are out tonight :D The scummy comments that come out in this thread are as deplorable as the behaviours for which you’re moaning about.

A few more important things from the story than where they got the money from and commenting on body image.

* 3 negative tests over the space of a week (let’s not forget the law is supposed to protect public health but if measures are taken to protect public health, should that override the law?)
    * The issue of the conditions of bail severity compared to more serious crimes. (Granted in the spirit of the law it’s not reasonable to allow them release at home but still)
    * the constitutional issue that confirmed covid cases are permitted to quarantine at home

A, no and not relevant.

B, the bail seemed high. I agree

C, what constitutional issue? Where in the constitution is any of this mentioned? People keep saying "my constitutional rights" but no one can show where in the constitution your right to travel, run a hairdressers, go home instead of jail or quarantine, ignore the law and other people's safety is.

tintin67 wrote: »
    In fairness the 25 year old seems to have done pretty well for herself as a single mother living in an expensive apartment block in Temple Bar and able to afford to fly in and out of Dubai for expensive cosmetic procedures.

But not able to afford an Irish hotel and solicitor it seems

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

So you don't think there is a problem with two social welfare dependant jetting off to Dubai for cosmetic surgery for the second time in a matter of weeks during a global pandemic?
    This should definitely be investigated further by the Department of Social Welfare and the Criminal Assets Bureau because something is rotten in the state of Rialto.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

A sad pathetic Ireland today

Shame on us

Never again can any question of other EU country’s treatment of non citizens be entertained

Poland, Hungary?

We’ve violated many more rights and no longer hold any power in discussions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,975 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

can CAB confiscate silicone implants?

You are forgetting the secret idea of the law is to deter all foreign holidays untill we are all vaccinated
    It's serving that purpose well
    We're not safe untill we're all safely at home like
    Expect a no vax no nothing rule later in summer once vaccinations pass 80% of adults done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

A sad pathetic Ireland today

Shame on us

I'm actually a little bit proud of us today that these two didn't get to swan off home to their kids with a telling off from the judge and a pinkie promise it won't happen again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

When I read stories like that, I feel like complete fool to actually have a job and keep working, cuz Im not able to make trips like that..not that I need a boob job.

A changed country

One minute we argue against a violation of rights in Italy , next we support incarceration of our own

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

xhomelezz wrote: »
    When I read stories like that, I feel like complete fool to actually have a job and keep working, cuz Im not able to make trips like that..not that I need a boob job.

Well an entire year on the dole is over 10k. That 1 trip cost at least that. And its their second time going to dubai for surgery in no time at all. They are obviously getting money from other activities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,617 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Ace2007 wrote: »
    what's worse was that in one article one of the father's stated that they weren't allowed on their flight home as they didn't have a hotel booked under quarantine, and they weren't allowed fly - spent two days in the airport and some independent TD approach Simon Covney to arrange for them to fly home - should have left them out there.

As much as that may have been a good idea to teach them a lesson you need to understand the consequences that the UAE imposes in those who are bankrupt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭fm

So you don't think there is a problem with two social welfare dependant skanks jetting off to Dubai for cosmetic surgery for the second time in a matter of weeks during a global pandemic?
    This should definitely be investigated further by the Department of Social Welfare and the Criminal Assets Bureau because something is rotten in the state of Rialto.

The issue here is not where they got the money or what they travelled for or what you or anybody think of the people involved. Its a bit ridiculous to be asking for the cab to be involved, come on like.
    The issue is whether the new law for mqh is strong enough to being challenged by Irish people returning especially. If it's not then it needs to be scraped immediately but if it is then it wil be a big show of strength by the government and will be a big win for them which should stop more people from travelling which really is the whole point of them implementing it in the first place.

As much as that may have been a good idea to teach them a lesson you need to understand the consequences that the UAE imposes in those who are bankrupt.

Yea i think you'll see that anyone travelling to the UAE for Boob job is not bankrupt. Like you say, if they were faced with some serious consequences and only thing they need to do is come up with 1800 quid i think a family member would find that money very quick if needed.

Flights, accommadation, food, expenses twice in so many weeks - they don't sound broke to me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭Knine

A changed country

One minute we argue against a violation of rights in Italy , next we support incarceration of our own

Lying here in bed struggling with Covid. I am rather ashamed to call those Yokes our own!

If they were visiting a dying relative, or an aunts funeral, or getting actual medical treatment then I could sympathise.

But being a welfare hound looking to go up a couple of cup sizes doesn’t really get much sympathy from me.

Stick em in the quarantine hotel, their kids can join them if needs be and dock their social welfare until it’s cleared.

The obviously aren’t in fear of starvation if they can afford the luxury that is cosmetic surgery.

Knine wrote: »
    Lying here in bed struggling with Covid. I am I rather ashamed to call those Yokes our own!

You must be really struggling if your looking to boards to cheer you up.

• Advertisement

If they were visiting a dying relative, or an aunts funeral, or getting actual medical treatment then I could sympathise.

But being a welfare hound looking to go up a couple of cup sizes doesn’t really get much sympathy from me.

Stick em in the quarantine hotel, their kids can join them if needs be and dock their social welfare until it’s cleared.

The obviously aren’t in fear of starvation if they can afford the luxury that is cosmetic surgery.

What's kind of strange as well - is that both of them got cosmetic surgery - would that be normal that 2 women would travel to the middle east both getting treatment done at the same time?

Advertisement