Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can we have some fcuking control on the airports from high risk countries please?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

faceman wrote: »
    Jaysus the rookie detectives are out tonight :D The scummy comments that come out in this thread are as deplorable as the behaviours for which you’re moaning about.

A few more important things from the story than where they got the money from and commenting on body image.

* 3 negative tests over the space of a week (let’s not forget the law is supposed to protect public health but if measures are taken to protect public health, should that override the law?)
    * The issue of the conditions of bail severity compared to more serious crimes. (Granted in the spirit of the law it’s not reasonable to allow them release at home but still)
    * the constitutional issue that confirmed covid cases are permitted to quarantine at home

The case will become the test for the future of MHQ

If they were visiting a dying relative, or an aunts funeral, or getting actual medical treatment then I could sympathise.

But being a welfare hound looking to go up a couple of cup sizes doesn’t really get much sympathy from me.

Stick em in the quarantine hotel, their kids can join them if needs be and dock their social welfare until it’s cleared.

The obviously aren’t in fear of starvation if they can afford the luxury that is cosmetic surgery.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Knine wrote: »
    Lying here in bed struggling with Covid. I am I rather ashamed to call those Yokes our own!

You must be really struggling if your looking to boards to cheer you up.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

If they were visiting a dying relative, or an aunts funeral, or getting actual medical treatment then I could sympathise.

But being a welfare hound looking to go up a couple of cup sizes doesn’t really get much sympathy from me.

Stick em in the quarantine hotel, their kids can join them if needs be and dock their social welfare until it’s cleared.

The obviously aren’t in fear of starvation if they can afford the luxury that is cosmetic surgery.

What's kind of strange as well - is that both of them got cosmetic surgery - would that be normal that 2 women would travel to the middle east both getting treatment done at the same time?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Punishment should be that they have give new tits back

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Gradius

No medicine, ppe or food so.

It's funny you should say that, just today I got an envelope in the door and 50 tourists, 22 businessmen and 11 politicians with it.

If only there was some way to separate the two?!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Knine wrote: »
    Lying here in bed struggling with Covid. I am rather ashamed to call those Yokes our own!

Hope you get better soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,188 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

A changed country

One minute we argue against a violation of rights in Italy , next we support incarceration of our own

Italy doesn't interest me. I care about the law of the land in this State and the safety of people who are doing their very best to keep safe (behaviour that doesn't generally include getting their tits enhanced in the Middle East)

Incarceration? I'd leave them in there for the maximum sentence and put their kids in care, seeing as there is "nobody to look after them", only to return them after a protracted social care process.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,048 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Gradius wrote: »
    It's funny you should say that, just today I got an envelope in the door and 50 tourists, 22 businessmen and 11 politicians with it.

If only there was some way to separate the two?!

Jesus how big is your letter box?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭SPDUB

kravmaga wrote: »
    Here they are in all their glory, named and shamed. Niamh and Kirsty from the Mansions, the Judge needs to send out a strong message with these two.

They basically have given the 2 fingers to the state, big fine / conviction.

https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/dublinairport-flight-arrest-gardai-passport-20314162

I'd love to know how Kristy is from the Mansions given that they were knocked down 10 years ago

Ace2007 wrote: »
    So what exactly did you want to happen - cut Ireland off from Europe and have everyone that wants to come in/out go through NI?

At what stage would you reopen the airports? Even Australia has flights going into the country.

This idea that we just shut down and stop everything is all well and good until you realize that we are an island and are heavily dependent on imports and even exports for the economy.

Again the complete inability to separate people from "stuff". You can have exports and imports without tourists, for example.

If they had executed a thoughtful plan beforehand, now we would be in a position to alternate and adjust. But we didn't do that, so it's just more tripping and stumbling until some ill-defined future.

Just watch how this unfolds then. Look at the last 13 months, and then look forward with that information.

I have a certain amount of confidence that a group of people who have failed...will continue to fail. Or get lucky.

We'll see.

• Advertisement

Again the complete inability to separate people from "stuff". You can have exports and imports without tourists, for example.

If they had executed a thoughtful plan beforehand, now we would be in a position to alternate and adjust. But we didn't do that, so it's just more tripping and stumbling until some ill-defined future.

Just watch how this unfolds then. Look at the last 13 months, and then look forward with that information.

I have a certain amount of confidence that a group of people who have failed...will continue to fail. Or get lucky.

We'll see.

But you didn't say that:
    keep international travel open, including airports.

Now your saying, keep exports and imports, despite a good chunk of this coming through the airport. How many "tourists" as you say are actually coming into the country?

Like I pointed out to you - even Oz is allowing people to enter the country - they haven't cut themselves off from this.

A lot of people have this assumption that anyone coming from Brazil for instance isn't Irish - It's just as likely that there are Irish born people coming to Ireland from Brazil, and given their right of return to Ireland - what's your plan to stop international travel - likewise there thousands of people in Ireland who have the right to return to their home counties as they wish. Therefore the airports will remain open.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭mmclo

Jaysus the rookie detectives are out tonight :D The scummy comments that come out in this thread are as deplorable as the behaviours for which you’re moaning about.

A few more important things from the story than where they got the money from and commenting on body image.

* 3 negative tests over the space of a week (let’s not forget the law is supposed to protect public health but if measures are taken to protect public health, should that override the law?)
    * The issue of the conditions of bail severity compared to more serious crimes. (Granted in the spirit of the law it’s not reasonable to allow them release at home but still)
    * the constitutional issue that confirmed covid cases are permitted to quarantine at home

The case will become the test for the future of MHQ

Judge will have to send it to HC in that case, also seems she has prejudiced the whole thing in some of her reported comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

There's feck all tourists coming into the country, most people travelling have good reasons to do so.

The short-term thinking is what gets me. We're one of the most globalised countries in the world, integrated into the EU and the UK, completely dependent on external trade, lots of Irish people travelling back and forth for work, and the narrow-minded quarantine zealots think we can simply bring the shutters down on all this.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

A sad pathetic Ireland today

Shame on us

No shame on me, such nonsense.

Ace2007 wrote: »
    But you didn't say that:

Now your saying, keep exports and imports, despite a good chunk of this coming through the airport. How many "tourists" as you say are actually coming into the country?

Like I pointed out to you - even Oz is allowing people to enter the country - they haven't cut themselves off from this.

A lot of people have this assumption that anyone coming from Brazil for instance isn't Irish - It's just as likely that there are Irish born people coming to Ireland from Brazil, and given their right of return to Ireland - what's your plan to stop international travel - likewise there thousands of people in Ireland who have the right to return to their home counties as they wish. Therefore the airports will remain open.

Oh I'm sorry I wasn't supremely explicit, yes, I meant that "international travel" equates people and not goods.

You know the way you often send a parcel "travelling"? No? Neither do I.

As for New Zealand, yes they are different NOW, they are in a much healthier situation to pick and choose and adjust NOW. It didn't happen by the same means our governence was banking on; pure magic.

Whereas we have implemented a half-arsed travel restriction program ONE YEAR after a global pandemic started.

hmmm wrote: »
    There's feck all tourists coming into the country, most people travelling have good reasons to do so.

The short-term thinking is what gets me. We're one of the most globalised countries in the world, integrated into the EU and the UK, completely dependent on external trade, lots of Irish people travelling back and forth for work, and the narrow-minded quarantine zealots think we can simply bring the shutters down on all this.

I just cannot believe that, not considering personal anecdotes I've heard and the news itself sometimes.

The vast majority in my opinion travelling around the place are in no more need of "essential travelling" than a scarecrow in a field.

Dental appointments, "emergencies", yeah right. The dogs in the street know the story, people are travelling because they want to, and are finding loopholes to jump through and justify it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

First one I agree, feck all tourists coming in.

Second one not so sure, how many people travel from here for hols and come back?

And the third one..I think most of people understand it won't sort everything, but it will help, just like any other measures. You can't do things halfways.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

I'm not exactly following where I can go or not because I'm not flying anywhere with all this. But does anyone know why Dubai took in these two people?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

A, no and not relevant.

B, the bail seemed high. I agree

C, what constitutional issue? Where in the constitution is any of this mentioned? People keep saying "my constitutional rights" but no one can show where in the constitution your right to travel, run a hairdressers, go home instead of jail or quarantine, ignore the law and other people's safety is.

The 3rd point is what their solicitor is arguing.

I just saw footage of the two ones from Dubai, surprisingly enough both desperate to cover their faces.
    Seriously though the lone parent allowance must be pretty generous if they can pop over twice in such a short amount of time to get boob jobs?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Your right there are feck all tourists coming into the country but hundreds of tourists returning to the country.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

So you don't think there is a problem with two social welfare dependant skanks jetting off to Dubai for cosmetic surgery for the second time in a matter of weeks during a global pandemic?
    This should definitely be investigated further by the Department of Social Welfare and the Criminal Assets Bureau because something is rotten in the state of Rialto.

Not sure how I feel about it is relevant. I am internet in why you’re labelling 2 people you haven’t met as “two social welfare dependant skanks”. Your view on the case is prejudiced by your biases

But involving CAB? lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

Bravo sir

I'm not exactly following where I can go or not because I'm not flying anywhere with all this. But does anyone know why Dubai took in these two people?
    Money? Tourism etc is big in UAE. Only requirement is negative test.

gmisk wrote: »
    I just saw footage of the two ones from Dubai, surprisingly enough both desperate to cover their faces.
    Seriously though the lone parent allowance must be pretty generous if they can pop over twice in such a short amount of time to get boob jobs?!

They’re not on trial for how they could afford the trip, as questionable as it may be

If they weren’t on social welfare, would your view change or does social status play a part in the desire outcome of legal cases?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

tintin67 wrote: »
    In fairness the 25 year old seems to have done pretty well for herself as a single mother living in an expensive apartment block in Temple Bar and able to afford to fly in and out of Dubai for expensive cosmetic procedures.

Maybe she is on onlyfans.

They’re not on trial for how they could afford the trip, as questionable as it may be

If they weren’t on social welfare, would your view change or does social status play a part in the desire outcome of legal cases?
    I think questions should be asked, it can't be cheap how was it funded? Where is the money coming from? What are we talking 10k each minimum?!

Outcome should be the same, it shouldn't make any difference if it was two D4 yummy mummies travelling for boob jobs. Lock them up for a month imo.

Your right there are feck all tourists coming into the country but hundreds of tourists returning to the country.

Yea but they have the right to return to Ireland, but now with having to quarantine we'll see how many of them really need to come back

gmisk wrote: »
    I think questions should be asked, it can't be cheap how was it funded? Where is the money coming from? What are we talking 10k each minimum?!

Outcome should be the same, it shouldn't make any difference if it was two D4 yummy mummies travelling for boob jobs. Lock them up for a month imo.

All of those questions would be dismissed by the judge

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

Boyle is a sold captain in the making

Advertisement