Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can we have some fcuking control on the airports from high risk countries please?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

faceman wrote: »
    All of those questions would be dismissed by the judge

depends on what their defence is. If they come to the court next week and claim that they cannot afford to pay the 2k, the judge could ask to see copy of their bank statements to see what their financial situation is like, and if she sees them spending 10k+ on trips to Dubai for surgery she might begin to ask questions. And if there is no money in the account, she might ask how they paid for the trip to Dubai.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

gmisk wrote: »
    Money? Tourism etc is big in UAE. Only requirement is negative test.

Well that seems silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

All of those questions would be dismissed by the judge

Not necessarily. They claim not to be able to pay the cost of quarantine. And yet afforded multiple expensive trips to Dubai for non essential reasons. The prosecution should be able to come up with some interesting avenues with that tbf.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

windborne i'm guessing, it's like that movie The Fog.

Nah......I'm with Mel Brooks on this.....it's gotta be Blazing Saddles...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPIP9KXdmO0

....have NPHET been made aware of the Brooks Variant ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,474 ✭✭✭HBC08

They’re not on trial for how they could afford the trip, as questionable as it may be

If they weren’t on social welfare, would your view change or does social status play a part in the desire outcome of legal cases?

No,they'd still be a couple of selfish pr1cks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Just a thought. Potentially involved with other high profile Irish ppl living in that region maybe??

Folly the Money ye mean ? ;)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

gmisk wrote: »
    I just saw footage of the two ones from Dubai, surprisingly enough both desperate to cover their faces.
    Seriously though the lone parent allowance must be pretty generous if they can pop over twice in such a short amount of time to get boob jobs?!

Their address was printed in other news articles. One of them living in an apartment in temple bar. Checked daft for a similar property in same apartment building. 2300 euro a month in rent. Not cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,474 ✭✭✭HBC08

gally74 wrote: »
    Boyle is a sold captain in the making

Haha! Are ya watching the Connacht game aswell?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Not sure how I feel about it is relevant. I am internet in why you’re labelling 2 people you haven’t met as “two social welfare dependant skanks”. Your view on the case is prejudiced by your biases

But involving CAB? lol

Erm, they and their solicitors made the claim, apart from the skanks bit obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Ace2007 wrote: »
    depends on what their defence is. If they come to the court next week and claim that they cannot afford to pay the 2k, the judge could ask to see copy of their bank statements to see what their financial situation is like, and if she sees them spending 10k+ on trips to Dubai for surgery she might begin to ask questions. And if there is no money in the account, she might ask how they paid for the trip to Dubai.

Simple way for all these costs issues is government pays hotel, these ladies then owe the government and their passports are confiscated until money is paid back.

Their passports remain the property of Minister of Foreign Affairs and Trade (Simon Convey) so he can give them back when their debts are paid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭NSAman

Knine wrote: »
    Lying here in bed struggling with Covid. I am rather ashamed to call those Yokes our own!

Tis yer own fault... shouldn’t have been...
    1...partying
    2...on a foreign holiday
    3...having a shebeen in yer back garden shed
    4...getting boob jobs in UAE
    5...flying home in a pandemic from Australia with yer kids and complaining about your hotel room
    6...flying in from Brazil
    7...visiting friends
    8...attending a large funeral
    9...travelling further than 5 kms for personal reasons
    10..going to work

(Delete if not applicable)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

NSAman wrote: »
    1...partying
    2...on a foreign holiday
    5...flying home in a pandemic from Australia with yer kids and complaining about your hotel room
    7...visiting friends
    10..going to work

11. Sent my child to school :o

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

xhomelezz wrote: »
    And the third one..I think most of people understand it won't sort everything, but it will help, just like any other measures. You can't do things halfways.
    You can do things halfways, because there's more to the country than Covid.

I understand if you're 100% focused on Covid that quarantine makes sense - but we also have to balance the economic impact from everything we do, along with the impact on individuals and the social impact as well. I've been in favour of most restrictions so far, but quarantine looks like something done simply to appease a mob who want to blame someone else for Covid spreading.

Every time we impose a restriction, there has to be a calculation done as to whether the impact is worth it. We don't weld up apartment blocks like they have in China, and we haven't stopped people going out to exercise or visit parks. Everything has a tradeoff, and it's too simplistic to say that something "will help".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

hmmm wrote: »
    You can do things halfways, because there's more to the country than Covid.

I understand if you're 100% focused on Covid that quarantine makes sense - but we also have to balance the economic impact from everything we do, along with the impact on individuals and the social impact as well. I've been in favour of most restrictions so far, but quarantine looks like something done simply to appease a mob who want to blame travelers as an easy excuse for the spread of Covid.

Every time we impose a restriction, there has to be a calculation done as to whether the impact is worth it. We don't weld up apartment blocks like they have in China, and we haven't stopped people going out to exercise or visit parks. Everything has a tradeoff, and it's too simplistic to say that something "will help".

Quarantine in Ireland doesn’t really work because it’s always going be half-arsed a bit like contact trace. This is because of the border and Euro-overlords might not like it, the only alternative is staying at L5 until the majority of the population is vaccinated. Once you reduce restrictions then you have what happened in September and Xmas..

It is what it is

• Registered Users Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Their address was printed in other news articles. One of them living in an apartment in temple bar. Checked daft for a similar property in same apartment building. 2300 euro a month in rent. Not cheap.

Thanks for waking up in 2021.

Honest hard working people can't even rent a house.

Do I need to say more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

xhomelezz wrote: »

And the third one..I think most of people understand it won't sort everything, but it will help, just like any other measures. You can't do things halfways.

As long as the border with the North is open and you can travel into Belfast without quarantine then hotel quarantine in Ireland even if it covered every Country will always be a halfway measure.

You can add to that the hundreds of truckers coming in every day on ferries. They aren't even tested like every airline passenger is, twice.

A changed country

One minute we argue against a violation of rights in Italy , next we support incarceration of our own

Yes, until today we had never incarcerated anyone

NSAman wrote: »
    1...partying
    2...on a foreign holiday
    7...visiting friends
    10..going to work

9 doesn't exist

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭NSAman

9 doesn't exist

Lol there is always one! 😀

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,265 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Enough with the abusive terms for the two in question, that and personal comments amended/deleted

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Ace2007 wrote: »
    gozunda wrote: »
    Not necessarily. They claim not to be able to pay the cost of quarantine. And yet afforded multiple expensive trips to Dubai for non essential reasons. The prosecution should be able to come up with some interesting avenues with that tbf.

Nope, as I said they're not on trial for how they paid for the trip. They're on trial for breaching the Health Act.

If the 2 are claiming inability to pay for MHQ, they make an application for deferral of fees via the relevant gov department. (I think its DOFA which if true, is bizarre). It has nothing to do with the court in this instance.

If they are unsuccessful with their application, have to pay and dont, then they can be pursued by legal means. But thats a separate case.

Again, how they got the funds to pay for their trip to Dubai has nothing to do with the Health Act, quarantine and their arrest, nor should it. Suggestions that it does is showing bias against their social background. It has no bearing on the case outcome.

If it emerges they stole the money to pay for the trial, they cannot be trialed for theft in the existing court hearing as they were not charged with the offence.

Btw, Im not defending their actions

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

saabsaab wrote: »
    Another cat truly out of the bag!

'
    Minutes from a meeting of the National Public Health Emergency Team on 4 March state that “complex” contact tracing of clusters, where unnamed variants of concern were prevalent, found no evidence that some cases were brought into the country from abroad.
    All reported cases of the B1351 strain from South Africa, the P1 and P2 strains from Brazil and the B1525 strain from Nigeria had previously been associated with international travel.
    The minutes suggest that there has now been a level of community transmission of these variants, which are linked to more severe illness and lower vaccine efficacy.
    They also state that the Health Protection Surveillance Centre was continuing to follow-up such cases within clusters where new variants are “probable”.
    To date, health officials have reported 32 cases of the B1351, 12 cases of P1, 14 cases of P2 and 15 cases of B1525.
    Assistant Professor of Virology at University College Dublin Gerald Barry described the development reported by NPHET last month as “worrying”.
    “It suggests that these variants are now circulating in the community,”

Over 14,000 arrived here last week, just over 200 went to hotel quarantine! Vaccinate an Island population say Achill and quarantine all travelers there for 10 days.

Anyone know how many samples are actually tested to identify strains?
    Last i heard, back in January, was that about 130 per week (out of perhaps 30,000 positives per week back then) were being identified. Be difficult to take any discussions on prevalence, or 'community transmission' of variants too seriously if that's still the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,280 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

IngazZagni wrote: »
    As long as the border with the North is open and you can travel into Belfast without quarantine then hotel quarantine in Ireland even if it covered every Country will always be a halfway measure.

You can add to that the hundreds of truckers coming in every day on ferries. They aren't even tested like every airline passenger is, twice.

Unless northern ireland introduce hotel quarantine (if they didn't already?) Then your point is moot

• Registered Users Posts: 25 VeryWise

This makes zero sense. If the aim is to stop new variants getting in then we need a full hard quarantine on everyone entering the island. Yesterday we had a French rugby team in Limerick probably 40 people in the group, rolling around with the Irish lads, who then mingle free in the community and we are talking about putting 700 Irish students in quarantine when they return from France.

This half measure is disruptive of civil Liberty and expensive but won’t work. Either do it properly or scrap it, this is the worst of both worlds and clueless.

Personally I don’t think it’s practical to stop variants and we need to rely on vaccines but if that is the strategy let’s commit to it.

VeryWise wrote: »
    This makes zero sense. If the aim is to stop new variants getting in then we need a full hard quarantine on everyone entering the island. Yesterday we had a French rugby team in Limerick probably 40 people in the group, rolling around with the Irish lads, who then mingle free in the community and we are talking about putting 700 Irish students in quarantine when they return from France.

This half measure is disruptive of civil Liberty and expensive but won’t work. Either do it properly or scrap it, this is the worst of both worlds and clueless.

Personally I don’t think it’s practical to stop variants and we need to rely on vaccines but if that is the strategy let’s commit to it.

All entries are subject to quarantine but elite sport is allowed operate within a bubble. Those players are in their own form of quarantine with each other.

I get the issue you have with it, it makes sense but I see this as a step towards normality. I look forward to the next step forward and not so much the mayhem that will ensue when VE day 2.0 happens.

Nope, as I said they're not on trial for how they paid for the trip. They're on trial for breaching the Health Act.

If the 2 are claiming inability to pay for MHQ, they make an application for deferral of fees via the relevant gov department. (I think its DOFA which if true, is bizarre). It has nothing to do with the court in this instance.

If they are unsuccessful with their application, have to pay and dont, then they can be pursued by legal means. But thats a separate case.

Again, how they got the funds to pay for their trip to Dubai has nothing to do with the Health Act, quarantine and their arrest, nor should it. Suggestions that it does is showing bias against their social background. It has no bearing on the case outcome.

If it emerges they stole the money to pay for the trial, they cannot be trialed for theft in the existing court hearing as they were not charged with the offence.

Btw, Im not defending their actions

Nope. I reckon you're missing the point.

Part of their current excuse for wanting to "breach... the Health Act" appears to be that they can't afford it.

Queue a likley court order financial discovery / disclosure of means.

And nothing to do with "their social background'. Such financial discoveries are used all the time in legal proceedings - for the rich and apparently not so rich alike.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

gozunda wrote: »
    Nope. I reckon you're missing the point.

Part of their current excuse for wanting to "breach... the Health Act" appears to be that they can't afford it.

Queue a likley court order financial discovery of means.

And nothing to do with "their social background'. Such financial discoveries are used all the time in legal proceedings - for the rich and apparently not so rich alike.

We’ll find out next week. And you can buy me a pint when I’m right :p

I take it you didn't read the article then ;)
    The next drop on the roller coaster could come from new virus variants, some of which have shown ability to evade antibodies generated by the original strain. But experts such as Paul Offit of the Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia are more optimistic. The vaccines show some efficacy against all the currently known variants, and good efficacy against one — the B.1.1.7 strain identified in the U.K. last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

VeryWise wrote: »
    Yesterday we had a French rugby team in Limerick probably 40 people in the group, rolling around with the Irish lads, who then mingle free in the community and we are talking about putting 700 Irish students in quarantine when they return from France.
    That's the end of European rugby for Irish teams then if all incoming teams have to quarantine for two weeks. That might matter little to you, but it'll matter a lot to the people whose livelihoods depends on it - and all for a small decrease in risk.

Advertisement