Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can we have some fcuking control on the airports from high risk countries please?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,189 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

I am curious as to the employment status of people calling for permanent MHQ. At some stage the state financial support has to end, what happens then ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

saabsaab wrote: »
    Is it not a requirement? How on Earth can they board for here without it? Costs should be on the airlines who allowed this.

Completely agree

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

smurfjed wrote: »
    I am curious as to the employment status of people calling for permanent MHQ. At some stage the state financial support has to end, what happens then ?

It is supposed to be paid for by the person themselves!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,189 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

It has nothing to do with who is paying for it, but if this continues the Irish aviation and hospitality industries will be destroyed. Can we afford for that to happen ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

smurfjed wrote: »
    It has nothing to do with who is paying for it, but if this continues the Irish aviation and hospitality industries will be destroyed. Can we afford for that to happen ?

A large new covid wave especially new variants will do just that anyway. It needs to continue for a while yet.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

A large new covid wave especially new variants will do just that anyway. It needs to continue for a while yet.

Says who? What metric is being used to determine the impact of one versus the other? Especially given where we are with vaccines and treatments.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

I can't see many French or German nationals coming to visit Ireland when everything is closed. One country that hasn't been mentioned is Poland. Cases are very high there and there is a lot of Polish living here so would make more sense to add them first IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭zebastein

Tyrone212 wrote: »
    I can't see many French or German nationals coming to visit Ireland when everything is closed. One country that hasn't been mentioned is Poland. Cases are very high there and there is a lot of Polish living here so would make more sense to add them first IMO.

That is not the problem. There has been close to 0 "tourist" in the last year.

People that fly are 99% Irish people living in these countries (20k Irish in France) and French people living in Ireland (10k French people in Ireland). These people have been traveling for a year, because life does not stop with covid. And it never had any negative impact.

People also forget that Ireland is the European centre for a lot of big companies. So Irish people working in Dublin need to go in business trips in these countries.

Add the poles, 120k people in Ireland, you need many many more hotels

• Registered Users Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

zebastein wrote: »
    People also forget that Ireland is the European centre for a lot of big companies. So Irish people working in Dublin need to go in business trips in these countries.

I don't disagree that they need more hotels if they add more countries (and maybe would need a waiting list), but would say there's very few flying about on "business trips" at the moment.
    Most of the "business tripper" types are huddled up working from home.
    The only workers flying for business are people who really need to do it/absolutely critical staff who are going to a location for something a bit more important and of longer duration than a trip.
    They will quarantine if they have to IMO, they would likely have been following such procedures and doing it themselves anyway as companies probably don't want hassle of their travelling staff spreading Covid between different locations and getting sites shut down with an outbreak.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Lmkrnr

What happens if the fire alarm goes off in these quarentine hotel's. Where do people stand when they leave, single file when Running from a fire?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,465 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Nasty to sneak this in on a Friday night. Appalling time for so many Irish people abroad.

Lmkrnr wrote: »
    What happens if the fire alarm goes off in these quarentine hotel's. Where do people stand when they leave, single file when Running from a fire?

Knowing Donnelly they probably have to be tested before they use the fire escape

fly_agaric wrote: »
    I don't disagree that they need more hotels if they add more countries (and maybe would need a waiting list), but would say there's very few flying about on "business trips" at the moment.
    Most of the "business tripper" types are huddled up working from home.
    The only workers flying for business are people who really need to do it/absolutely critical staff who are going to a location for something a bit more important and of longer duration than a trip.
    They will quarantine if they have to IMO, they would likely have been following such procedures and doing it themselves anyway as companies probably don't want hassle of their travelling staff spreading Covid between different locations and getting sites shut down with an outbreak.

Two years ago I was working in a company doing software for hospitals. When the hospitals were switching software (or moving from paper to software) I had to travel in France to work on site for a weekend. The need does not disappear because Ireland decided to park people in hotels.

So if I was still working there, I would have to live 2weeks in an hotel because there is a business need. Don't believe that employers will cancel a contract for their employee's confort. They will pay the hotel, but they will let their employees rot 2weeks there for free.

Life does not stop because of the hotels. It is just a major discomfort for no gain at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

It's all just so bizarre, the world is beginning to open up, vaccines are ramping up and people are putting together plans to re open society...

Meanwhile in Ireland we are setting up mandatory hotel quarantine on our nearest neighbors in the EU, biggest trading partners, and countries with majority vaccine coverage, and are signaling a strive for zero COVID….yet openly saying it is impossible...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

faceman wrote: »
    Knowing Donnelly they probably have to be tested before they use the fire escape

'Break Glass for Test'

Nasty to sneak this in on a Friday night. Appalling time for so many Irish people abroad.

Anyone travelling now should expect the unexpected in fairness.

Also, why are they travelling.

Seriously? There are a variety of reasons people need to travel other than to go on a piss up in Santa Ponsa like some people think.

Work, family needs , deaths and sickness of friends, etc

Seriously? There are a variety of reasons people need to travel other than to go on a piss up in Santa Ponsa like some people think.

Work, family needs , deaths and sickness of friends, etc

Don’t forget cosmetic procedures and “dental appointments”

• Registered Users Posts: 10,053 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

• Advertisement

I am going to get married in France in 2weeks. Am I still allowed to have a life event or should there be a popular vote that controls if it is good reason?

So I should have expected the unexpected? What does it mean? That I should be happy to pay 2grands to live in an hotel 1km from my apartment? Again this mentality of "we know it is crap but as long as I am not concerned, it is good enough"

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭M_Murphy57

Will they release that poor nurse from prison now or does she have to finish her sentence ?

Absolute ****ing lunacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 VeryWise

This whole MHQ thing just shows how little logic and statistics are used in our decision making. It also shows how fragile our civil liberties are. Much of our economy is fed by foreign multinationals, a US exec that is vaccinated will not travel here and will just see Ireland closed for business. And for what, this will make no difference to cases deaths etc. It is just stupid.

If we want to try zero covid or zero new variants then we need to seal borders, increase lockdown etc. No one thinks that is realistic any more. So what are we at with this!! Just burning down an economy we spent 40 years building because we realised we wanted better for ourselves in the late 80s. DeValera with his horsemen of poverty, isolation, state control and emigration rides again.

M_Murphy57 wrote: »
    Will they release that poor nurse from prison now or does she have to finish her sentence ?

Absolute ****ing lunacy.

I’m pretty sure that it was Joe Duffy that got Israel removed. That’s how this country works

Is that a joke, are certain diplomats or workers returning from that second list of nations next week or what? Seem bizarre.

Is that a joke, are certain diplomats or workers returning from that second list of nations next week or what? Seem bizarre.

No Is say they are sh1tting themselves over that court case and the bad publicity from the Joe Duffy show.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Germany removed Israel off its list last night, appears you can travel Israel - Germany now freely without any test or quarantine

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Laughing stock of Europe

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Dramatic uneducated tripe like this is a bigger problem than the virus.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭bombs away

What I’d like to know is who exactly is on this expert travel advisory group that are calling the shots with regards to travel at the moment. Based on the fact that they recommended Israel only last week and this week changed their mind just goes to show that they don’t have a clue what they are doing.

Advertisement