Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can we have some fcuking control on the airports from high risk countries please?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Tazz T wrote: »
    Dramatic uneducated tripe like this is a bigger problem than the virus.

Professor Kingston Mills. Heard of him?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

saabsaab wrote: »
    Dr Vincent Racaniello, heard of him? Ehhh well no, neither did I, but he has some seriously impressive virology credentials.

https://www.thestreet.com/latest-news/there-are-no-covid-super-strains-yet-says-virologist-vincent-racaniello

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Of course I have. I have a degree in immunology myself and spent half my life as a medical writer.

Point?

@saabsaab

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Feria40

This has been brought up before but..

If I am French what is stopping me from having a weekend break in Berlin or Madrid before traveling onward to Dublin?

Are they actually looking at transit history and even if they are I could just have got a train to Madrid/Berlin before flying to Dublin, hell I could just fly to Belfast altogether.

Did they learn nothing from the green list experience last year?! Funny times

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

If I see the words 'Kingston Mills' on here again, the 13 keys on some posters keyboards must be worn out from typing it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Are you Dr Mills or something!?

He seems like a decent guy but I am not going to attach my opinion on MHQ on a few comments in an interview from him!

Tazz T wrote: »
    Of course I have. I have a degree in immunology myself and spent half my life as a medical writer.

Point?

@saabsaab

This is a new virus and we already have a SA variant that is less responsive to the vaccine, whatever he said.

The point is we don't need another variant or wave. No good reason to open up before there is a full roll out. Remember Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

We are about to face ridicule and rightly so. Timing wrong. Is Israel still on the list.?

So the impossible to measure 'variant of concern' is the reason countries are added to the MHQ list!

How they measuring this! Mad TED!

This is a new virus and we already have a SA variant that is less responsive to the vaccine, whatever he said.
    "Less responsive" is doing a lot of heavy lifting there.

It doesn't matter where you're standing in 2 inches or 3 inches of water, you're still not going to drown.

It's bull**** and implemented only because politicians are getting it in the neck from "concerned citizens" who get most of their virus information from Facebook. Let's just admit it, and figure out how to give the politicians a way to walk this back.

• Advertisement

So the impossible to measure 'variant of concern' is the reason countries are added to the MHQ list!

'Concern' is a newly resurfaced island in the Pacific, already been added to MHQ.

SA variant?

SA variant?
    It's like listening to George Lee. The Pfizer and Moderna vaccines have been tested and still have good efficiency against the SA variant. Same with J&J. All the vaccines appear to protect against severe disease, but you're more likely to get a bit of a head cold now. As Dr. Racaniello above says, T-cell protection hasn't changed with any of the variants.

The only study with any concern was a small and underpowered study of Astra Zeneca - we're waiting for better data.

hmmm wrote: »
    "Less responsive" is doing a lot of heavy lifting there.

It doesn't matter where you're standing in 2 inches or 3 inches of water, you're still not going to drown.

It's bull**** and implemented only because politicians are getting it in the neck from "concerned citizens" who get most of their virus information from Facebook. Let's just admit it, and figure out how to give the politicians a way to walk this back.

If you want specifics see below only 10% effective, a cause of seroius concern,

https://www.forbes.com/sites/williamhaseltine/2021/03/17/astrazeneca-vaccine-fails-to-protect-against-the-south-african-variant/

Yet another posting of this very weak evidence based article. Been pointed out numerous times.

But wait, maybe the author Michael Haseltine is really..........*takes off glasses*............

Kingston Mills.

It's funny so much talk of the ZA variant yet ZA is living a lot more normal life than here in Ireland and the situation has improved hugely since January!

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭zebastein

Feria40 wrote: »
    This has been brought up before but..

If I am French what is stopping me from having a weekend break in Berlin or Madrid before traveling onward to Dublin?

Are they actually looking at transit history and even if they are I could just have got a train to Madrid/Berlin before flying to Dublin, hell I could just fly to Belfast altogether.

Did they learn nothing from the green list experience last year?! Funny times

Two things:
    - you probably need to answer a form which will ask "have you been in one of these countries in the last 14days?" you can always lie I suppose but you break a law giving a false statement.

- if you traveled for an essential reason, let's say a doctor appointment in France, and you come from Madrid they will find out you were in France. If you have no essential reason you are fined 2ke.

So best case scenario you still break the law. If the law is enforced correctly, you get a fine in any cass

• Registered Users Posts: 10,053 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

The point is we don't need another variant or wave.

ce2d37ac1373dd35350996a35fa7df50.gif

zebastein wrote: »
    Two things:
    - you probably need to answer a form which will ask "have you been in one of these countries in the last 14days?" you can always lie I suppose but you break a law giving a false statement.

- if you traveled for an essential reason, let's say a doctor appointment in France, and you come from Madrid they will find out you were in France. If you have no essential reason you are fined 2ke.

So best case scenario you still break the law. If the law is enforced correctly, you get a fine in any cass

And if you fly into Belfast and spin across the border...?

Will this all become a bit silly in a few weeks with the UK opening up international travel not to mention an extra 1m jabs that will have supposedly have been given out here before month end?

There's a whiff of "optics" about all this really

Never thought I'd be quoting Regina Doherty :P but......

https://twitter.com/ReginaDo/status/1380631231478521856?s=19

• Advertisement

Corholio wrote: »
    Never thought I'd be quoting Regina Doherty :P but......

https://twitter.com/ReginaDo/status/1380631231478521856?s=19

Exit Strategy? Oh Regina, where have you been :pac:

Does the Ukraine and Pakistan have big problems with the South African and Brazilian variants?

Maybe I'm asking too much, but would it be possible in our democracy for someone in Government to publish the criteria they are using to forcibly lock people up for 2 weeks when they enter the country?

It's funny so much talk of the ZA variant yet ZA is living a lot more normal life than here in Ireland and the situation has improved hugely since January!

The South African variant is not even doing well in South Africa (Where Everything is open)
    JWAnXJt.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭carveone

Stupid was to have Israel on the list in the first place.

Embarrassing was to then remove it after four days. Four! Sure why not 2 days next time. Sure change the list every day, just for the laugh like.

Completely ignorant is to insist that anyone from Israel currently in quarantine has to remain in quarantine for the duration just because... Looking at the Health Act, they seem to be on solid ground to make that insistence, but it's still ignorant.

Edit: As a aside, I wonder if she left the hotel, on what grounds could they bring her back given that the country she came from is not on a list of designated countries. Ah, the fun you could have being a lawyer :)

Maybe it was deliberate? To make it all such a shambles that it'll be disbanded in quick fashion.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,465 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

No Spain or Portugal.

Lol

Maybe it was deliberate? To make it all such a shambles that it'll be disbanded in quick fashion.

Better to stop them in the first place like the US.

No Spain or Portugal.

Lol

They have very low rates

They have very low rates
    I'm assuming Portugal with strong Brazilian links must be at high risk of the Brazilian variant?

• Advertisement

There was a few twisted in knots explanations why Israel were on the list from some here, because just about everything has to be defended, wonder how they are doing now?

Advertisement