Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can we have some fcuking control on the airports from high risk countries please?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,053 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

hmmm wrote: »
    I'm assuming Portugal with strong Brazilian links must be at high risk of the Brazilian variant?

Variants or not, the have one of the lowest rates in Europe

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Variants or not, the have one of the lowest rates in Europe
    But we're trying to stop variants right? At least that's what we were told.

So the country in Europe with the closest ties to Brazil is not on the list, but we have added the Ukraine and Luxembourg. Because of that big Ukraine/Brazil thing?

Because we haven't been told what the criteria is for this, I'm just trying to understand the thought processes at work.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Will be fun when the first person catches covid from being stuck in the MHQ hotels (either staff or a prisoner there).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,643 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

titan18 wrote: »
    Will be fun when the first person catches covid from being stuck in the MHQ hotels (either staff or a prisoner there).

I'm sure when that inevitably happens it will be filed into the big box of mystery transmission.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,929 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

titan18 wrote: »
    a staff member has already tested positive https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/just-one-hotel-quarantine-staff-member-has-tested-positive-for-covid-19-so-far-1.4532396

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭NSAman

So the USA is added from April 15th. Largest vaccination plan, 300 million doses purchased, 4 million people a day getting vaccinated.

So myself, being vaccinated, going to see my mother who is also vaccinated, would I be transmitting the virus?

There is so much lack of joined up thinking going on in Ireland. Why not just shut ALL the borders.....?? If it is that bad and we are bringing so many variants (despite being vaccinated) what is the point in GETTING vaccinated?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,543 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

NSAman wrote: »
    So the USA is added from April 15th. Largest vaccination plan, 300 million doses purchased, 4 million people a day getting vaccinated.

So myself, being vaccinated, going to see my mother who is also vaccinated, would I be transmitting the virus?

There is so much lack of joined up thinking going on in Ireland. Why not just shut ALL the borders.....?? If it is that bad and we are bringing so many variants (despite being vaccinated) what is the point in GETTING vaccinated?

4th wave already under way in the states

They've a large % of non acceptance of vaccines

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭cubatahavana

Don’t know if this has been posted but Poland had 1000 deaths yesterday, has a positivity rate of about 30% and a 14 day incidence per 100k of around 900 and are not on the list?

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭mmclo

Don’t know if this has been posted but Poland had 1000 deaths yesterday, has a positivity rate of about 30% and a 14 day incidence per 100k of around 900 and are not on the list?

Can we sue the Government for not putting high risk countries on the list?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 452 ✭✭Sharpyshoot

Talk to Joe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Lmkrnr

Its fair to say this government is a total shambles. How can we end this madness.

2 confirmed cases in the last 4 weeks where I live !

Media has a lot to answer for.

You do know you get a vaccine card when you get vaccinated? Proof of vaccine is better than anything to travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Tazz T

There is no fourth wave anywhere.

Present evidence before making such a statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭joseywhales

2 confirmed cases in the last 4 weeks where I live !

Media has a lot to answer for.

You do know you get a vaccine card when you get vaccinated? Proof of vaccine is better than anything to travel.

It's just an exercise in "I'm alright jack", nobody cares about something that does not directly affect them

• Registered Users Posts: 82,791 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

mmclo wrote: »
    Can we sue the Government for not putting high risk countries on the list?

I'd like to think you could, especially when conflicts of interest could be exposed.

Think the lady taking the case gets heard tomorrow morning. This should be interesting.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I feel for the sake of balance given the Israeli lady’s court case today that the media and Twitter should be asking important questions like:

* how did she afford her trip?
    * how many children does she have and who is minding them?
    * what’s her address, is she from a socially deprived poor area?
    * was there no jobs in Israel that she could have taken instead of the alledged job in Ireland?
    * is she really working with a crime syndicate?

These are important questions that need to be addressed in the court case today!!!

:pac: :pac:

faceman wrote: »
    I feel for the sake of balance given the Israeli lady’s court case today that the media and Twitter should be asking important questions like:

* how did she afford her trip?
    * how many children does she have and who is minding them?
    * what’s her address, is she from a socially deprived poor area?
    * was there no jobs in Israel that she could have taken instead of the alledged job in Ireland?
    * is she really working with a crime syndicate?

These are important questions that need to be addressed in the court case today!!!

:pac: :pac:

Dont believe any of that was discussed in the court case you are actually refering to unless you mean the persons own defence mentioned it.

Its also different, travelling for work and moving here to live are essential reasons. Shes also vaccinated ffs!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Haven't been keeping up. Can Irish people just up and travel to the US now to "visit their mothers" or are Trumps' restrictions (no quarantine hotel, just basically a straight ban covering most Irish travellers) still in force?
    Talk to Joe

Indeed! Good advice for those outraged that govt. seems to be belatedly listening to NPHET somewhat about these issues 1 year down the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

Ye, I'm scratching my head at that one. Portugal and Spain should also be on the list due to the high volume of traffic between the countries.

All fully vaccinated should be exempt from quarantining, but still subject to both pcr tests.

Anybody wishing to leave the country should have to put in in writing to dept of travel, like Britain have done. This will further discourage non essentials.

We have made some progress, albeit painfully slow, but they still need to pull the finger out and implement these sensible measures.

• Advertisement

fly_agaric wrote: »
    Haven't been keeping up. Can Irish people just up and travel to the US now to "visit their mothers" or are Trumps' restrictions (no quarantine hotel, just basically a straight ban covering most Irish travellers) still in force?

The answer is yes, if you are a us citizen or green card holder. The same will not be true if you are an irish citizen visiting ireland from the us, you will have to mandatory quarantine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Ye, I'm scratching my head at that one. Portugal and Spain should also be on the list due to the high volume of traffic between the countries.

All fully vaccinated should be exempt from quarantining, but still subject to both pcr tests.

Anybody wishing to leave the country should have to put in in writing to dept of travel, like Britain have done. This will further discourage non essentials.

We have made some progress, albeit painfully slow, but they still need to pull the finger out and implement these sensible measures.

Poland didn't report 1000 deaths yesterday or today, there deaths are reported slimmer to us some of the deaths acoured in the previous months.
    No variants of concern have been sequenced as of yet.
    English variant is accounting for 96% of new cases, the remainder Spanish variant from last summer.
    MHQ would collapse due to the numbers of workers travelling mainly for construction.
    Plus Connelly stated last week that England were not the list because the English variant was already in Ireland,
    According to reports here that's the main reason Poland wasn't on the list as they have the same variant as Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

That didn't take long before an obvious injustice is reported. Who is it that authorises exceptions, and how do we make sure this system isn't abused?

https://twitter.com/IrishTimes/status/1380804883738099714

The answer is yes, if you are a us citizen or green card holder. The same will not be true if you are an irish citizen visiting ireland from the us, you will have to mandatory quarantine.

A large if that covers most Irish people.
    For the last year, anyone could fly in from the US without restriction.
    The honour system "14 days" thing was a joke really.
    I am sure most people abided by it as best they could, but as with anything unenforced you'll probably have 15-20 % who couldn't give a f-ck or (as evidenced by many posts over course of the thread) will actively go out of their way to break it to prove a point about "freedom" or whatever.

fly_agaric wrote: »
    A large if that covers most Irish people.
    For most of the last year, anyone could fly in from the US without restriction.
    The honour system 14 days thing was a joke.

So do you think that a vaccinated Irish citizen with a negative pcr test should have to endure 14 days hotel quarantine?

Is this still about controlling the disease?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Dont believe any of that was discussed in the court case you are actually refering to unless you mean the persons own defence mentioned it.

Its also different, travelling for work and moving here to live are essential reasons. Shes also vaccinated ffs!

Oh Niner. Come on man.

So do you think that a vaccinated Irish citizen with a negative pcr test should have to endure 14 days hotel quarantine?

Is this still about controlling the disease?

I don't know. Probably not if they can prove it.
    I'm glad they've finally tried to set such a system (quarantine) up for all its flaws + the half arsed way they may be going about it.

I hope vaccination will work for us all, but the fact that the vaccines exist now and have begun to be administered with some countries (like the US, Israel) much further along in the process than others does not mean this is over yet.

Hopefully production can increase, more people will get vaccinated and the disease will really start to be driven down.

I somewhat suspect agenda of those criticising the holes or inconsistencies + expect they are people who argued against restrictions (on travel or other civil liberties) during entirity of pandemic to date as undemocratic, authoritarian overreach, an assault on our rights and freedoms etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭josip

"detention center" absolutely destroys your credibility. We're not retarded children. We're not fooled by retarded language.

This didn't age well.
    The court agreed to hold the inquiry on Monday after lawyers for the Minister for Health conceded for the purposes of this case that the woman is in detention.

https://www.rte.ie/news/courts/2021/0410/1208993-quarantine-detention-inquiry/

• Registered Users Posts: 15,269 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

• Advertisement

josip wrote: »

A horse by any other name is still a horse, etc

Advertisement