Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can we have some fcuking control on the airports from high risk countries please?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

I'd imagine most developed or developing countries outside of the EU,US Israel and India or similar will get up to the same high numbers vaccinated once production continues to ramp up
    Meantime vaccine passports,rapid testing and mhq for less vaccinated countries will be in the mix to keep those variants out
    Its all pointing that way
    The beaches of Spain Greece,the Carribean or Florida arent too many months away from being safe
    But not yet

Good post.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 The Great Gatsby

Ok, let me see if I can get this straight . . . so, an Irish Citizen who is fully vaccinated, has a negative Covid test three days before arrival, and can self-isolate with family in the middle of nowhere in the west of Ireland, arrives at Shannon airport from USA/Canada/Italy/France, etc and is then put on a bus and taken with other passengers on a 2-3 hour bus trip to a hotel in Dublin to quarantine for 12 days at a cost to that person of at least 2k . . . I'm just trying to get my head around that and what exactly it accomplishes.

faceman wrote: »
    Restrictions were either added or enhanced for Easter across Spain. Cases are rising but centre 3 regions including Madrid.

Valencia region on the other hand has the lowest rates in Europe.

Lower than where? How have you decided this? The eu map shows all of Spain as red albeit getting close to orange

Lower than where? How have you decided this? The eu map shows all of Spain as red albeit getting close to orange

https://www.thelocal.es/20210323/how-spains-valencia-region-achieved-one-of-europes-lowest-infection-rates/

They are doing very well it seems.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Not sure if you speak Spanish but it’s been covered in more detail in Spanish media too.

• Advertisement

Not sure if you speak Spanish but it’s been covered in more detail in Spanish media too.

Not nearly as much as I should but again, it depends on how you compare. I'm not picking a fight, just pointing out that it's a region. Is it being compared to provinces, cities, countries or just within Spain? I always take such statements with a pinch of salt because of the vagueness.

Old info from a month ago. Spain ain't orange anymore and Dublin remains red so pcr test for me it seems. Spain as a whole is starting to tend the right way

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Not nearly as much as I should but again, it depends on how you compare. I'm not picking a fight, just pointing out that it's a region. Is it being compared to provinces, cities, countries or just within Spain? I always take such statements with a pinch of salt because of the vagueness.

Old info from a month ago. Spain ain't orange anymore and Dublin remains red so pcr test for me it seems. Spain as a whole is starting to tend the right way

Fair and I have scrutinised the data. Then again my main news source, Informacíon, tends to be solid with its news, impartial and in-depth. But it’s also been referenced in El Pais, RTVe and the English language papers. Ximo Puig, the region’s president has referenced it multiple times too. He’s quite a conservative president when it comes to covid measurements. While the data would allow him to relax restrictions further such as extend bar opening times, he hasn’t. He’s also run ad campaigns in Madrid in the run up to Easter to dissuade Madrid people breaking the rules and travelling here for the holiday.

That being said, Valencia region (and 2 other regions) are not red on the EU map

https://reopen.europa.eu/en

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Ok, let me see if I can get this straight . . . so, an Irish Citizen who is fully vaccinated, has a negative Covid test three days before arrival, and can self-isolate with family in the middle of nowhere in the west of Ireland, arrives at Shannon airport from USA/Canada/Italy/France, etc and is then put on a bus and taken with other passengers on a 2-3 hour bus trip to a hotel in Dublin to quarantine for 12 days at a cost to that person of at least 2k . . . I'm just trying to get my head around that and what exactly it accomplishes.

A negative test doesn't tell much. You can still pick up covid infection between the test and flight.

I'm not understanding why a vaccinated person would have to quarantine considering that vaccines is meant to be the way out. My guess is they really don't know much yet about this virus and vaccinated people can still pick up covid infections (similar to flu). So they have to go into quarantine as well.

How is someone self-isolating with their family? Are you saying it's ok for an Irish person to fly home to their parents house? That's not self isolation.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Golfman64

A negative test doesn't tell much. You can still pick up covid infection between the test and flight.

I'm not understanding why a vaccinated person would have to quarantine considering that vaccines is meant to be the way out. My guess is they really don't know much yet about this virus and vaccinated people can still pick up covid infections (similar to flu). So they have to go into quarantine as well.

How is someone self-isolating with their family? Are you saying it's ok for an Irish person to fly home to their parents house? That's not self isolation.

With your logic what workable measures would you propose that allow us to also protect the tourism and aviation industries in the short to medium term (next 9 months)? It’s simply not feasible to continue as we are from an economic and livelihood standpoint.

• Advertisement

How is someone who catches covid, or is a confirmed close contact self-isolating? Is it ok for them to isolate at home with others living in the house?

Or should we put them in a detention centre?

Golfman64 wrote: »
    With your logic what workable measures would you propose that allow us to also protect the tourism and aviation industries in the short to medium term (next 9 months)? It’s simply not feasible to continue as we are from an economic and livelihood standpoint.

With my logic, how do you protect people's health? A negative test doesn't say much though. You can still carry covid and still infect others on the flight. I don't understand how that is so difficult to understand.

How is someone who catches covid, or is a confirmed close contact self-isolating? Is it ok for them to isolate at home with others living in the house?

Or should we put them in a detention centre?

They're not detention centres but yes I would love to see isolation facilities here for people that are positive. But sure, that won't happen here.

They're not detention centres but yes I would love to see isolation facilities here for people that are positive. But sure, that won't happen here.

Finally someone admits it. I have more respect for people who acknowledge that you can’t have MHQ without detaining confirmed cases and close contacts. Irish people and the media don’t even want to talk about it though. Most people can chose not to travel but no one can chose not to have covid.

Btw according to the state, people in quarantine are in detention per Saturday’s high court hearing

https://www.rte.ie/news/courts/2021/0410/1208993-quarantine-detention-inquiry/

Finally someone admits it. I have more respect for people who acknowledge that you can’t have MHQ without detaining confirmed cases and close contacts. Irish people and the media don’t even want to talk about it though. Most people can chose not to travel but no one can chose not to have covid.

Btw according to the state, people in quarantine are in detention per Saturday’s high court hearing

https://www.rte.ie/news/courts/2021/0410/1208993-quarantine-detention-inquiry/

Didn't we have facilities here for TB? I really don't understand why we don't have anything for covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Didn't we have facilities here for TB? I really don't understand why we don't have anything for covid.

Dedicated medical facilities, hospitals. they weren't detention centres.
    They could have family visitors
    Only 8 people in Ireland in the Last 60 years have been detained for tuberculosis under health legislation.
    2006 was the Last time it happened and that was due to the person not being of sound mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭tiger_cub

So basically the Gov won’t have enough rooms for current travel rates so are relying entirely on the deterrent of MHQ to stop people travelling and keep the number below a level they can provide for? So a defacto close the airport?

Why are no journalists looking into this? If Ryanair challenged Gov policy last summer and lost on the basis of the Gov conceding it was “advice” only, why is no one challenging this now? What’s going on in the background?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

tiger_cub wrote: »
    So basically the Gov won’t have enough rooms for current travel rates so are relying entirely on the deterrent of MHQ to stop people travelling and keep the number below a level they can provide for? So a defacto close the airport?

Why are no journalists looking into this? If Ryanair challenged Gov policy last summer and lost on the basis of the Gov conceding it was “advise” only, why is no one challenging this now? What’s going on in the background?
    For journalists there is really no story here, the political system en masse back it and the public seem to be very big fans of it as well. To go down that road needs it challenges to succeed or for the "temporary" nature of it to drag on for months.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Our great government put through shoddy legalisation to appease a mob of angry people on twitter.

You've seen how they have managed this pandemic, what more do you expect.

Every week brings a new low ebb.

I'm ashamed to be Irish today. How anybody can stand behind MHQ in Ireland today fails me.

• Advertisement

Our great government put through shoddy legalisation to appease a mob of angry people on twitter.

You've seen how they have managed this pandemic, what more do you expect.

Every week brings a new low ebb.

I'm ashamed to be Irish today. How anybody can stand behind MHQ in Ireland today fails me.

All major parties and the majority of people think it is the right way to go now and I agree. It won't be forever so just get on with it.

saabsaab wrote: »
    All major parties and the majority of people think it is the right way to go now and I agree. It won't be forever so just get on with it.

10 cases in the hotels and 700+ in walk-ins suggest the priorities are wrong. A stronger home quarantine regime would be preferable.

is_that_so wrote: »
    10 cases in the hotels and 700+ in walk-ins suggest the priorities are wrong. A stronger home quarantine regime would be preferable.

It might be true but even harder to implement and some don't have homes here.

“Your father is about to die. You can’t see him. Just get on with it”

We’ve become monsters.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Ronaldinho

We’ve become monsters.

Nonsense. The law's the law and he'll get his day in court to challenge it.

We’ve become monsters.

Hard cases make bad law. Best to look at the bigger picture and not look at individual cases.

Hard cases make bad law. Best to look at the bigger picture and not look at individual cases.
    As does poorly crafted legislation. This has not allowed for fully vaccinated individuals and there seems to be complete randomness to how countries get on and off the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,929 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

is_that_so wrote: »
    As does poorly crafted legislation. This has not allowed for fully vaccinated individuals and there seems to be complete randomness to how countries get on and off the list.
    has the rest of his family been vaccinated? probably not.

What’s the bigger picture for that family?

• Advertisement

Ronaldinho wrote: »
    Nonsense. The law's the law and he'll get his day in court to challenge it.

Yeah because there’s nothing a family who’s father is about to die needs more than a case in the high court and media coverage.

Advertisement