Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can we have some fcuking control on the airports from high risk countries please?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,970 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

That’s really hyperbolic nonsense. The majority of the rest of Europe has temporarily to non essential traffic from the USA. The US Canadian border is closed.
    The US also blocked all inbound non citizens / non residents from Ireland, the U.K. and the rest of the EU.
    Are you saying we should decide Americans hate us and that we should immediately withdraw all investment over what is a temporary public health control measure?

The other posters on here are calling for ban on all incoming flights and closure of airports/borders, sending "The RA'" up to Dubiln airport etc....hence my replies..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭YellowBucket

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Not all investors or company directors, engineers, techs, etc. can fix everything or make decisions over zoom..

Not every industry had a full ban on, they just can't get the employee's into the country..

Anyways, not the thread to go into detail...

And it wouldn’t be regarded as tourist traffic if you’d no choice but to fly for some urgent business reason.

The risk to businesses in Ireland is enormous & that includes all of those investors’ - the financial services sector, the pharmaceutical sector, IT sector, food production and so on.

There’s a significant risk that many companies in the USA could face very serious disruption due to the out of control pandemic. In many respects Ireland is one of several backup hubs for those businesses.

They absolutely do not want a free for all when it comes to viral transmission.

Apart from tax and EU access, one of the major selling points of Ireland is its very politically stable, regulatory predictable and logical and offers an extremely safe environment.

If we let this go run riot here, it’s our reputation that will be in jeopardy as a business location, not the other way around.

New Zealand for example has become a continuity of business hub during this because it has such low impact and is being looked at very favourable for investment.

Also these are multinational companies, owned by global shareholders & run in very pragmatic ways. They’re not usually run by toy-out-of-pram throwing Trump like characters who take everything personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭gral6

NSAman wrote: »
    Why?

It reminds me idiots from Wexford with their posters- Do not come here people from Dublin

The other posters on here are calling for ban on all incoming flights and closure of airports/borders, sending "The RA'" up to Dubiln airport etc....hence my replies..

Well yeah that’s just insane. We need some kind of pragmatic response to this that actually deals with the risks properly and in line with what’s happening in our EU counterparts. I think we are probably risking bolting ourselves to Tory policies which have been generally a self inflicted disaster to-date, if we over do the harmonising with the U.K.

Also by not dealing with it, you will end up with innocent Americans, who may possibly even live here or those with American accents (south dublin watch out!) being confronted with very hostile responses.

We’re doing nobody any favours by not regulating this properly.

Well yeah that’s just insane. We need some kind of pragmatic response to this that actually deals with the risks properly and in line with what’s happening in our EU counterparts. I think we are probably risking bolting ourselves to Tory policies which have been generally a self inflicted disaster to-date, if we over do the harmonising with the U.K.

It's the Keelings Strawberry pickers all over again!

**What ever happened to them?

• Advertisement

It's the Keelings Strawberry pickers all over again.
    **What ever happened to them?

I’m not sure that it is tbh. There’s an actual uncontrolled pandemic in a significant part of the USA at the moment.

There absolutely was not in Bulgaria and that was tinged with a fairly signifiant degree of “they are taking our jobs!” and a hearty dose of xenophobia.

If anything at that stage the Bulgarian farm workers were at more risk from passing through Dublin than we were from them.

It’s more like Cheltenham and the Italian ski holidays all over again and a lot of those coming in on those flights are Irish US residents or dual national Irish/Americans.

We don’t have the excuse of lack of information or being blind sided this time. We should be controlling & testing from very obviously high risk areas.

If we had any sense, given the relatively small volumes of traffic, we could just commercially test everyone, even if that is just included in their ticket price. It’s not that big a deal.

That leaves the doors open and keeps everyone, including US visitors, safe.

There’s very little reason why we couldn’t simply have a departure screening service in a few US airports and purchase commercial testing there. There’s no particular difficulty doing it.

Several countries are allowing it to be done up to 72h before departure and just asking ppl to self isolate before flying out. If it’s negative, you’re considered to be safe to fly and don’t need to quarantine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭unhappys10

Saw a UK reg car pulling a caravan today on the M6 heading towards Galway, UK reg not Northern.

On the same spin today an idiot performed a dangerous overtaking manoeuvre coming into a bend, as luck would have it there was a checkpoint 5mins up ahead.
    I got out to tell the guard what happened as he had your man stopped. Turned out it was a rental car, a Brazilian family here on holiday.

unhappys10 wrote: »
    Saw a UK reg car pulling a caravan today on the M6 heading towards Galway, UK reg not Northern.

On the same spin today an idiot performed a dangerous overtaking manoeuvre coming into a bend, as luck would have it there was a checkpoint 5mins up ahead.
    I got out to tell the guard what happened as he had your man stopped. Turned out it was a rental car, a Brazilian family here on holiday.

Brazilians do not come here for holidays :D

I’m not sure that it is tbh. There’s an actual uncontrolled pandemic in a significant part of the USA at the moment.
    There absolutely was not in Bulgaria and that was tinged with a fairly signifiant degree of “they are taking our jobs!” and a hearty dose of xenophobia.
    If anything at that stage the Bulgarian farm workers were at more risk from passing through Dublin than we were from them.
    It’s more like Cheltenham and the Italian ski holidays all over again and a lot of those coming in on those flights are Irish US residents or dual national Irish/Americans.
    We don’t have the excuse of lack of information or being blind sided this time. We should be controlling & testing from very obviously high risk areas.
    If we had any sense, given the relatively small volumes of traffic, we could just commercially test everyone, even if that is just included in their ticket price. It’s not that big a deal.
    That leaves the doors open and keeps everyone, including US visitors, safe.
    There’s very little reason why we couldn’t simply have a departure screening service in a few US airports and purchase commercial testing there. There’s no particular difficulty doing it.

The Hysteria is based on the recent flights coming in from the U.S containing mostly cargo and very very few passengers, one I read of said they were here for 5 weeks and will be Isolating here.
    Flights have been coming in from the U.S all through this, I know someone who came in on one.

Yet a lot of people on here have dropped the traditional welcome and now it's more like "Cead mile F**k off" to travellers. Palpable hostility towards people who come here from abroad.

When they should be contacting their T.D.'s asking for mandatory PCR testing with rapid turn around and a Government appointed isolation room for 2 days while the test results are being produced.
    Didn't the state pay Dennis O'Brien €115 million for renting some spare bed space which wasn't used?

This whole thing should have been handled internationally.

For example why can’t we have an EU COVID Free / Low Risk travel screening service?

You get tested by an approved service before departure. Self isolate for the day before or whatever and if clear, you fly. If not clear, you get a voucher for flight not to be taken until you are clear and give the airlines some backup financially to support that.

There are commercial labs in the US who could solve this.

There are even question marks about whether travel insurance for health cover is even valid if you’re flying internationally, against advice, in a pandemic for leisure and tourism.

So for example if someone lands in Ireland with COVID and goes fully symptomatic, who pays?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,261 ✭✭✭threeball

You were replying to me and I never suggested either of those things so once again your post is boll*x.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

The ridiculousness of the government's light touch stance is amplified by the fact that New York, and some other north eastern states, have made it clear that they do not want people from Texas arriving on their soil.

"Any violation of a quarantine or isolation order issued to an individual pursuant to the Commissioner of the Department of Health's travel advisory by a local department of health or state department of health may be enforced pursuant to article 21 of the public health law, and non-compliance may additionally be deemed a violation pursuant to section 12 of the public health law subject to a civil penalty of up to $10,000. "

https://www.governor.ny.gov/news/no-205-quarantine-restrictions-travelers-arriving-new-york

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭Harika

The Hysteria is based on the recent flights coming in from the U.S containing mostly cargo and very very few passengers, one I read of said they were here for 5 weeks and will be Isolating here.
    Flights have been coming in from the U.S all through this, I know someone who came in on one.

Yet a lot of people on here have dropped the traditional welcome and now it's more like "Cead mile F**k off" to travellers. Palpable hostility towards people who come here from abroad.

When they should be contacting their T.D.'s asking for mandatory PCR testing with rapid turn around and a Government appointed isolation room for 2 days while the test results are being produced.
    Didn't the state pay Dennis O'Brien €115 million for renting some spare bed space which wasn't used?

You don't need to get some fancy renting of rooms to verify the issue of foreign travellers and self isolating. Ask your local TD about how many foreign travellers from high risk countries have arrived since the introduction of the self isolation? How many are currently self isolating? How many of those have been spot checked?
    Based on that you will see how to take it forward. Countries like South Korea are taking this very seriously with several spot checks a day and serious repercussions when violating the self isolation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭theological

Saw a UK reg car pulling a caravan today on the M6 heading towards Galway, UK reg not Northern

A lot of the second hand car stock in Northern Ireland come from mainland Britain and keep their registration. Similarly cars from Northern Ireland are often sold with their NI registrations on the mainland British market.

Registration does not necessarily mean that car didn't come from NI.

So many wonderful anecdotes on this thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭Zhane

I actually saw a UK reg camper van parked yesterday in Wexford near the quay. There was a hand written note in the window saying they they were “from Newry, NI” so they must have gotten hassle before or being proactive about putting people’s minds at ease.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

I'm equally as concerned with Spain re opening to the Brits.
    its insane

It is insane that airtravel restrictions are still in place ! 350Euro food voucher from EU is not going to last long !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

gral6 wrote: »
    It is insane that airtravel restrictions are still in place ! 350Euro food voucher from EU is not going to last long !

Why do you need to travel by air right now? No one NEEDS to travel by air.

Why do you need to travel by air right now? No one NEEDS to travel by air.

Why do you want to live in the shell? Because of ordinary flu? Chesus Christ, this world has gone mad! It is a shame that all of us are gonna pay for this feast of stupidity!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 116 ✭✭Louthdrog

Heaven forbid!!

I also saw an Irish reg car driving around Surrey yesterday.

Aren't anecdotes wonderful?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,358 ✭✭✭facehugger99

gral6 wrote: »
    Why do you want to live in the shell? Because of ordinary flu? Chesus Christ, this world has gone mad! It is a shame that all of us are gonna pay for this feast of stupidity!

A ‘hysterical post tax’ would pay for most of this nonsense.

I’m tired of seeing our economy being sacrificed to placate the misery merchants that do nothing but moan on this thread and others about a virus that poses fcuk all risks to the vast majority.

Time to open up the airports and the rest of the economy.

Great to see some American tourists are spending their dollars here.

Louthdrog wrote: »
    Heaven forbid!!

Not in the current climate, no. Both of those arseholes in the stories had no need to be where they were.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭theological

Louthdrog wrote: »
    Heaven forbid!!

This pandemic is creating ugly attitudes towards others.

As I said already, that car was more than likely from Northern Ireland. If it wasn't how does that poster know what the circumstances of those driving were. Maybe they were coming to help relatives, and maybe they did isolate for 14 days.

We should leave the policing to the authorities rather than trying to become vigilante enforcers of the law ourselves.

I never quite understand why people want so desperately to be in the business of others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 939 ✭✭✭mikep

Sensible commentator on the radio this morning stating that infections from foreign travel are 8% of overall...

Makes great hysterical news though I suppose...

As I said already, that car was more than likely from Northern Ireland. If it wasn't how does that poster know what the circumstances of those driving were. Maybe they were coming to help relatives, and maybe they did isolate for 14 days.

We should leave the policing to the authorities rather than trying to become vigilante enforcers of the law ourselves.

I never quite understand why people want so desperately to be in the business of others.

Definitely for me anyway. I was never the biggest fan of people but it was mainly just indifference. But all the comments basically saying "**** the vulnerable and let them die because I want my jollies" has made me realise just how scummy people really are. Sadists.

I just said what I saw ffs
    Your view could be as much BS as mine.

Vigilante enforcer...get a grip.

Not in the current climate, no. Both of those arseholes in the stories had no need to be where they were.

Exactly, but you'll still have idiots travelling unnessecarily along with the idiots who think it's OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

mikep wrote: »
    Sensible commentator on the radio this morning stating that infections from foreign travel are 8% of overall...

Erm, to be fair it's all from foreign travel. The virus didn't get into planes or cars itself, travel to a new jurisdiction and jump up people's noses...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 683 ✭✭✭JazzyJ

mikep wrote: »

What's the percentage in the last 14 days?

Anything prior to that is irrelevant at this point considering there was little to no travel back then. I'd be more concerned about the here and now than historical data.

Asymptomatic tourists to Ireland might never be captured in the statistics, and yet would contribute to the spread.

Advertisement