Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can we have some fcuking control on the airports from high risk countries please?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Lmkrnr

Out of interest, the flying into belfast option, do you need a UK passport for that post brexit?

Easy jet accept drivers license ect. Ryanair only passports. Aer Lingus i don't know. Ireland and UK are part of a common travel area.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,888 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Out of interest, the flying into belfast option, do you need a UK passport for that post brexit?

thatd be a laugh!! Asking the likes of Gerry Adams to produce a british passport when arriving into his home city !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

No, sure half them only have Irish passports anyway.

Ryanair should invest more in Northern Areas of Ireland while they are beginning to open up. Belfast is the only show in town but Derry would be right on the border. Could see it being very busy.

Lmkrnr wrote: »
    Easy jet accept drivers license ect. Ryanair only passports. Aer Lingus i don't know. Ireland and UK are part of a common travel area.

It’s always a passport between the CTA and the EU

• Advertisement

Ryanair should invest more in Northern Areas of Ireland while they are beginning to open up. Belfast is the only show in town but Derry would be right on the border. Could see it being very busy.

Ryanair already reopened Belfast base with three aircraft moved from Dublin, they may will move more aircraft north if MHQ continues

Valhallapt wrote: »
    It’s always a passport between the CTA and the EU

Yeah I was replying from a intra CTA pov England to Belfast ect.

A park and fly option to Belfast from the border town's would be a good business if NI really opens up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Yeah I was replying from a intra CTA pov England to Belfast ect.

A park and fly option to Belfast from the border town's would be a good business if NI really opens up.

Would you chance a bus? Might be better get someone with an irish reg for pick up.

Belfast isn't the only option, is Canada on the list?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,928 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

where are the details of the post travel isolation advice for people who don't have to go into mandatory hotel quarantine? https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/b4020-travelling-to-ireland-during-the-covid-19-pandemic/ I can't find the details regarding this anymore, its all been overwritten by MHQ text.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭a_squirrelman

where are the details of the post travel isolation advice for people who don't have to go into mandatory hotel quarantine? https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/b4020-travelling-to-ireland-during-the-covid-19-pandemic/ I can't find the details regarding this anymore, its all been overwritten by MHQ text.

It's there under "Post-arrival quarantine requirements for all passengers arriving in Ireland".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,928 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

It's there under "Post-arrival quarantine requirements for all passengers arriving in Ireland".
    don't consider this to be details
    a 14-day quarantine period must be undertaken at the address specified on the Passenger Locator Form

• Registered Users Posts: 9,275 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Yes it should protect people from being arbitrarily detained by the State.

Nobody is being arbitrarily detained by the state... People are choosing to come to our country from another and must follow the law when they land... They can choose not to enter the state if they do not wish to quarantine

It makes more sense to have a mandatory hotel quarantine system in place for a handful of tourists for 2 weeks than to half-arsedly force an entire nation to stay within 5km of their homes for 3 months

don't consider this to be details

and

• passengers who travel from another country to Ireland, and arrive via Northern Ireland, must also observe the mandatory quarantine regime
    • you may only leave your place of residence during the quarantine period for unavoidable reasons of an emergency nature to protect a person’s health or welfare, or to leave the State
    • you can end your period of quarantine if you receive written confirmation of a ‘non-detected’ RT-PCR test result taken no less than 5 days after arrival. You must retain the written confirmation of your test result for at least 14 days
    What do you mean by details though?

Regarding the last point they could state that we have to pay for the PCR ourselves, which I believe is the case, that one is a bit vague.

and

• passengers who travel from another country to Ireland, and arrive via Northern Ireland, must also observe the mandatory quarantine regime
    • you may only leave your place of residence during the quarantine period for unavoidable reasons of an emergency nature to protect a person’s health or welfare, or to leave the State
    • you can end your period of quarantine if you receive written confirmation of a ‘non-detected’ RT-PCR test result taken no less than 5 days after arrival. You must retain the written confirmation of your test result for at least 14 days
    What do you mean by details though?

Regarding the last point they could state that we have to pay for the PCR ourselves, which I believe is the case, that one is a bit vague.

How do you get a PCR test taken if you can't leave your quarantine location though?

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭markjbloggs

It makes more sense to have a mandatory hotel quarantine system in place for a handful of tourists for 2 weeks than to half-arsedly force an entire nation to stay within 5km of their homes for 3 months

eh, probably not .....

How do you get a PCR test taken if you can't leave your quarantine location though?

Obviously its one of the expemptions

I guess most gards will be sound and let you carry on to your testing location.

Nobody is being arbitrarily detained by the state... People are choosing to come to our country from another and must follow the law when they land... They can choose not to enter the state if they do not wish to quarantine

My problem is not with inhibiting tourism, it's that some of the travel I wouldn't tag as tourism. For example I want to visit my parents, I don't see that so much as tourism as my duty to the people responsible for mt life. I cant do it, for some indefinite period, due to mhq. they need to either:

Clarify the rules and be committed and not move goal posts, so we can plan for an exit date.

Exempt travelling home to visit family as essential travel

They will not do the later, so I'm hoping they can do the former.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Yakov P. Golyadkin

Roberto Lopes for Shamrock Rovers would feel hard done by if there are exemptions made for professional sportspeople in Ireland after he did his 2 weeks in detention.

My guess is the IRFU will put massive pressure on the gov and they'll succumb to option B though.

And Option B is the correct answer!

https://mobile.twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1381561043906924544

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

"Tourist".

I wish people would stop using that word.

There are no tourists coming here. Why the f**k would a tourist want to come here right now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,888 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

so coming back to Ireland to see a parent on their death bed who could die any minute is not essential travel BUT going to or from an area of high incidence of variants is essential if you're just looking to play a bit of sport.

Grand so.

If my mam or dad (in their 80s) gets seriously ill or dies I just need to somehow become an elite athlete to come home for the hospital visit or funeral.

Chivito550 wrote: »
    "Tourist".

There are no tourists coming here. Why the f**k would a tourist want to come here right now!

people like that particular poster use the words 'tourists' and 'holliers' to try to belittle the whole thing. Completely blind to the fact there there are no tourists; rather there are people who need to travel for their own essential reasons, having been cut off from family for so many months. It's just their way to try to win the argument

so coming back to Ireland to see a parent on their death bed who could die any minute is not essential travel BUT going to or from an area of high incidence of variants is essential if you're just looking to play a bit of sport.

Grand so.

If my mam or dad (in their 80s) gets seriously ill or dies I just need to somehow become an elite athlete to come home for the hospital visit or funeral.

get training....there's still time to get to most olympic qualifying events!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭JojoLoca

There are hundreds of thousands of "tourists" living and working in Ireland. The entire nation was able to break the 5km limit for the essential reasons (like family emergency), yet the "tourists" should pay €1900 for that privilege?

Obviously its one of the expemptions

Obviously it should be but with the govt we have in power I'd wonder...
    Chivito550 wrote: »
    "Tourist".

Tourists love coming here, sure wasn't that one of the problems last summer with the yanks coming over infecting an almost COVID free Kerry?
    My problem is not with inhibiting tourism, it's that some of the travel I wouldn't tag as tourism. For example I want to visit my parents, I don't see that so much as tourism as my duty to the people responsible for mt life. I cant do it, for some indefinite period, due to mhq. they need to either:

Clarify the rules and be committed and not move goal posts, so we can plan for an exit date.

Exempt travelling home to visit family as essential travel

They will not do the later, so I'm hoping they can do the former.

Visiting parents isn't essential though and if you are coming from a red listed country you risk spreading the virus to them so you should probably be isolating anyway before seeing them

Visiting parents isn't essential though and if you are coming from a red listed country you risk spreading the virus to them so you should probably be isolating anyway before seeing them

Yes but as a rational person, given that I am fully vaccinated and have a pcr test before and after each flight, with their approval, I will be able to talk to them in the garden. Precious moments that I am missing out on, for no very good reason as far as I can tell.

Yes but as a rational person, given that I am fully vaccinated and have a pcr test before and after each flight, with their approval, I will be able to talk to them in the garden. Precious moments that I am missing out on, for no very good reason as far as I can tell.

The problem isn't you, it's everybody who isn't vaccinated that could come in and spread the virus like wildfire that we don't want... And you know as well as I do that people will chance it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭timmyntc

The problem isn't you, it's everybody who isn't vaccinated that could come in and spread the virus like wildfire that we don't want... And you know as well as I do that people will chance it

But the majority of virus spread comes from within our own country.
    i.e. from Irish person to Irish person

Travel accounts for less than 2% of cases.

• Advertisement

timmyntc wrote: »
    But the majority of virus spread comes from within our own country.
    i.e. from Irish person to Irish person

Travel accounts for less than 2% of cases.

That's very misleading... In the below article somebody came back from holidays and didn't restrict ​movements resulting in 56 individuals in ten households and a sports team contracting Covid-19. So technically less than 2% of the cases (the 1 man of the 56) were accounted as travel and the other 55 were recorded as community transmission - as were the cases that the other 55 passed on

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/1019/1172407-covid-19-midwest/

Advertisement