Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can we have some fcuking control on the airports from high risk countries please?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

RTE saying Erasmus students will have their internment fee paid for by the state.

Farce.

I am delighted for the students individually, not fair they have to pay to come back in when they weren't aware of these detention centres before they left.

The way it's been implemented is a farce, MHQ will be the sword this gov falls on IMO.

I am delighted for the students individually, not fair they have to pay to come back in when they weren't aware of these detention centres before they left.

The way it's been implemented is a farce, MHQ will be the sword this gov falls on IMO.

I agree. Maybe that’s why FG stood by and let Donnelly have his ‘win’. They knew it would turn into a sh1tshow and they’ve made sure it’s on FF. Donnelly was even talking about quotas for entry into the state FFS

The reaction of some of the more “conservative” people here is a disgrace. That poor man, fully vaccinated and with negative tests, effectively interned for no good reason. Had to bring our country to court to see his dying father.

And lick arses saying “oh, it has to be done”. Bollix. It’s been a long year and there’s been a lot of sacrifice and lot of Golfgate-esque nonsense. Everyone is tired. But people’s willingness to wield the power of the state against an innocent family warrants a kick up the rear end. Yer man’s not John Gilligan ffs.

Imagine that your relative innocently comes into contact with the vaccinated, Covid free traveller and comes down with Covid.
    I believe that it’s best to err on the side of caution.
    There have been many dying parents whose children couldn’t be with them in their final hours, even though they live just down the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

I agree. Maybe that’s why FG stood by and let Donnelly have his ‘win’. They knew it would turn into a sh1tshow and they’ve made sure it’s on FF. Donnelly was even talking about quotas for entry into the state FFS

Absolutely.

It's why IMO Varadkar let MM 'go first' in the coalition, he knew he'd fúck up and FG can swoop in when things are better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

Imagine that your relative innocently comes into contact with the vaccinated, Covid free traveller and comes down with Covid.
    There have been many dying parents whose children couldn’t be with them in their final hours, even though they live just down the road.

Can’t the relative come into contact with someone In Tesco tomorrow?

• Advertisement

Can’t the relative come into contact with someone In Tesco tomorrow?

Has that someone just flown in from a red listed country?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

Has that someone just flown in from a red listed country?

Maybe or maybe not but they also may have been at a house party in Woodies in Costa coffee who knows!

Maybe or maybe not but they also may have been at a house party in Woodies in Costa coffee who knows!

Deflection, M’Lud. The great unwashed demanded quarantine at point of arrival. This was granted and they’re still revolting. Either we have quarantine or we don’t.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭Economics101

The concession to Erasmus students is no doubt the decent thing to do, given their likely personal and financial circumstances. However watch out for the next hard-done group to lobby for "free-fees" quarantine.
    What has always been a farcical policy will end up being another immense drain on the Irish Exchequer.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭bluelamp

That's very misleading... In the below article somebody came back from holidays and didn't restrict ​movements resulting in 56 individuals in ten households and a sports team contracting Covid-19. So technically less than 2% of the cases (the 1 man of the 56) were accounted as travel and the other 55 were recorded as community transmission - as were the cases that the other 55 passed on

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/1019/1172407-covid-19-midwest/

That article is also misleading in fairness - it in no way represents the current risk.

That flight was before masks were mandatory, before pre departure testing, before arrivals testing, and before vaccines.

Whatever risk was present at that point in time, is now miniscule in comparison.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

The concession to Erasmus students is no doubt the decent thing to do, given their likely personal and financial circumstances. However watch out for the next hard-done group to lobby for "free-fees" quarantine.
    What has always been a farcical policy will end up being another immense drain on the Irish Exchequer.
    Considering the money we're borrowing, we might as well pay for everyone's quarantine.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,462 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Another court case tonight involving a woman interned who has a sick mother. She wants to get out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

Considering the money we're borrowing, we might as well pay for everyone's quarantine.

As quarantine is for the benefit of the state shouldnt the state pay people to quarantine ?

:P

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

RTE saying Erasmus students will have their internment fee paid for by the state.

Farce.

I think the more worrying thing is that night be a sign of this lasting a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

Another court case tonight involving a woman interned who has a sick mother. She wants to get out.

https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/1381724001014325255

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

549954.jpg

Just for fun...

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭mmclo

Needs to improve her golf basically

• Registered Users Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

I'd say she'll be released tomorrow as the government don't want the courts examining the constitutionality of MHQ.

Jesus. Worst thing about the pandemic is that it’s shown how many people think like this

I read a great book by Anna Funder a few years ago. Stasiland. It was about her experiences growing up in the GDR.

She wrote about how fully 25% of the GDR population were informers on their fellow citizens at some level.

I scoffed at it. I thought she was exaggerating. One in four people ready to inform on their neighbours, family and friends?

I'm not scoffing now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Never mind the hard done by Erasmus students. Seems elite sportspeople have it so much worse the government has dropped their requirement to quarantine full stop. Poor things.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Nonsense

• Registered Users Posts: 26,986 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

This Mandatory Hotel Quarantine concept has gone from farcical to ludicrous.

Now we're going to pay for self entitled students on erasmus schemes quarantine, I'd like to know how the F**k is this scheme operational during a pandemic in the first place.

Government give people a weeks notice to avoid quarantine, the courts releasing people, the state paying for the Dubai Duo, people just walking out and countries being removed from list on the whim of a minister who's more concerned about his Twitter profile.

This entire debacle is a train wreck waiting to happen and despite the nonsensical idea its cost neutral, legal costs alone are going to be horrendous.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

Dempo1 wrote: »

Now we're going to pay for self entitled students on erasmus schemes quarantine, I'd like to know how the F**k is this scheme operational during a pandemic in the first place.

Government give people a weeks notice to avoid quarantine, the courts releasing people, the state paying for the Dubai Duo, people just walking out and countries being removed from list on the whim of a minister who's more concerned about his Twitter profile.

This entire debacle is a train wreck waiting to happen and despite the nonsensical idea its cost neutral, legal costs alone are going to be horrendous.

It’s the Twitter mob who insisted on MHQ to begin with. Never made any sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

You're right just close the airports altogether, lets stop ****ing around. :)

Erasmus students ffs, with half the country economy shuttered. Goes to show what the Irish Government will not risk displeasing, and its not the taxpayer

I agree with what you’re saying but strongly disagree with calling Erasmus student self entitled

• Registered Users Posts: 13,462 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Valhallapt wrote: »
    It’s the Twitter mob who insisted on MHQ to begin with. Never made any sense.

And the Opposition.

Its a public health measure
    Its proper order that the cost of it is paid for erasmus student
    Its meant to.benefit us all
    Covid is rampant in France so its reasonable to assume its a source of new variants

• Registered Users Posts: 9,275 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

bluelamp wrote: »
    That article is also misleading in fairness - it in no way represents the current risk.

That flight was before masks were mandatory, before pre departure testing, before arrivals testing, and before vaccines.

Whatever risk was present at that point in time, is now minuscule in comparison.

Also important to point out that with very little open in this country at the moment the risk of community spread is quite low...

The issue is if we re-open in the next few weeks and we get our COVID case numbers right down to the levels we had last summer the situation outlined above becomes a real risk again. Pre-departure testing is about as useless as a chocolate teapot as they can be taken up to 3 days before the flight takes off and the vaccines will be a great tool when we get close to herd immunity in 10 years time
    faceman wrote: »
    I agree with what you’re saying but strongly disagree with calling Erasmus student self entitled

These students were forced to go abroad for their Erasmus or else they wouldn't have been able to graduate - proper order that they shouldn't have to stump up almost 2k after paying 3.5k for their 'free' education

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

These students were forced to go abroad for their Erasmus or else they wouldn't have been able to graduate - proper order that they shouldn't have to stump up almost 2k after paying 3.5k for their 'free' education
    And yet it does draw attention to the very crude and increasingly ill thought out method of this being applied.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭kirving

faceman wrote: »
    Seems elite sportspeople have it so much worse the government has dropped their requirement to quarantine full stop. Poor things.

By absolutely any measure, this has evolved into a complete farce. Very slowly at first, and now rather quickly as the government trip over themselves making insane contradictions to appease whoever is the next group in the queue to "seek clarity".

Advertisement