Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can we have some fcuking control on the airports from high risk countries please?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Maybe you want to comply with the restrictions but others don't wish to.

You have to respect their wishes. We don't live in a dictatorship.

In that case, repeal all laws and let's have a free for all where the fittest will survive? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

Danno wrote: »
    In that case, repeal all laws and let's have a free for all where the fittest will survive? :confused:

MHQ is repugnant to the constitution. Government know this, hence they won’t allow any challenges go before a judge as MHQ may well be struck down.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,643 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Your earlier statement

Would suggest you were intending to go into work without quarantining on your return which would be reckless

Do you agree with two week quarantine for vaccinated and tested people? If so, why? If not, what is the issue with what I said?

I work from home BTW - the earlier post was just an example of how difficult of a situation some people are in.

As someone who supports MHQ, there should be no restrictions whatsoever on fully vaccinated folk travelling.

Any country with an Irish embassy should be able to "verify" the local fully vaccinated cert and issue a permit to travel back to Ireland for folk intending on returning/traveling here. Again, these well paid embassy staff should be at the forefront of implementing this, God knows they've had an easy ride the last year.

Indeed. I will be vaccinated with 2nd dose on 1 July and am then going the USA for a wedding.

If MHQ is still in place when I return in August, and there is no exemption for vaccinated people, I will bypass it. It would be a nonsense. Will go through the UK, Belfast if necessary. I think that many vaccinated people will do the same thing - the sensible thing.

It will probably not happen anyway - I really don't think that the government will be able to maintain MHQ for vaccinated people

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

I agree with you but how easy is it to get these certs forged? Happened a lot last year that false negative PCR certs were sold, these vaccine certs could go down the same way

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/feb/01/scammers-are-selling-fake-negative-covid-test-certificates-europol-warns

Surely some digital system could stamp that shyte out?

As for the scammers - there ought to be a special jail term for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Feria40

As someone who supports MHQ, there should be no restrictions whatsoever on fully vaccinated folk travelling.

Any country with an Irish embassy should be able to "verify" the local fully vaccinated cert and issue a permit to travel back to Ireland for folk intending on returning/traveling here. Again, these well paid embassy staff should be at the forefront of implementing this, God knows they've had an easy ride the last year.

But one of the reasons put forward for MHQ and the selection or not of countries for MHQ is the prevalence of variants of one type or another and the uncertainty as these may or may not evade the vaccines..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

I've family living outside my 5km that I've not seen in many months. Does it matter whether your family is 20km or 2000km away - by seeing them you're breaking the restrictions.

Nonsense, of course it does does.

Family member gets seriously ill, 20km away. Grand hop in the car and go look after who needs looking after.

Family member gets seriously ill, 2000km away. Book flights, travel to country which will require stop off or lots of traveling time. Time off work. Depending on country, require 2 weeks detention plus €1,800, potential issues with work in MHQ.

Even if restrictions lift domestically, it's a nonsense argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭zebastein

Nonsense, of course it does does.

Family member gets seriously ill, 20km away. Grand hop in the car and go look after who needs looking after.

Family member gets seriously ill, 2000km away. Book flights, travel to country which will require stop off or lots of traveling time. Time off work. Depending on country, require 2 weeks detention plus €1,800, potential issues with work in MHQ.

Even if restrictions lift domestically, it's a nonsense argument.

Add the 24h /48h delay to do a PCR test and get the result before flying, a PCR before arrival, and either a PCR test 5days later, or if in MHQ one after arrival and one after 10days

• Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭josip

I've been taking every precaution necessary to avoid spreading covid to my family. I haven't seen my parents (who live in Ireland) since last year. My intention is to travel to visit my wife's family once we're both fully vaccinated. We're also planning to get tested when we travel. Why is this not sufficient to at least reduce quarantine time?

There seems to be an assumption throughout this forum that anyone who has any issue with the restrictions is a reckless covid denier - that just isn't true.

I think there's something about 'variants coming in from abroad' that triggers a 'keep foreign things and people out' defense/coping mechanism in some people.
    Even if it's Irish people bringing back the variant, there is still the irrational fear of 'abroad'.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,275 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Do you agree with two week quarantine for vaccinated and tested people? If so, why? If not, what is the issue with what I said?

I work from home BTW - the earlier post was just an example of how difficult of a situation some people are in.

Depends on the vaccine... If it's a vaccine that stops you spreading the virus then yes 100%

But as of yet there is no vaccine that has been proven to do this, studies are ongoing and some are showing promising results but as of yet nothing concrete

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Whatever issues people may have with Harris we have missed his plain talking.
    The Minister for Further and Higher Education has said it is his "firm view" that anyone who has been vaccinated against Covid-19 and has a negative PCR test result should not go into quarantine.

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0413/1209539-coronavirus-politics/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

You’ll find that anyone who followed the covid laws in Ireland to the letter is in the
    minority.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭M_Murphy57

Depends on the vaccine... If it's a vaccine that stops you spreading the virus then yes 100%

But as of yet there is no vaccine that has been proven to do this, studies are ongoing and some are showing promising results but as of yet nothing concrete

Exactly right.

Same way that even though I'm vaccinated against polio and rubella, I still assume at all times that I might still have those diseases. All of my interactions with other humans are therefore (cautiously and sensibly) based first and foremost on the assumption that my presence may cause them to get polio or rubella - just because you're vaccinated doesnt mean you cant still be killing people by spreading disease every single day, you know.

I guess it's possible the people I'm interacting with might also have had vaccines against polio and rubella but there is also the chance that they might have falsified their vaccine carts or be lying. It's happened before.

Best to be cautious. You never know. Ever. No matter how much data there is.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

is_that_so wrote: »

Harris is about a billion times better than that dreadful spoofer Donnelly.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Just picking up on this, and this isn’t a negative comment to your point, we are likely going to see vaccine snobbery as rollout increases and vaccine passports becoming the norm.

Once J&J rolls out, it’s a 1 shot vaccine. But if you’re unlucky to be dished the AZ vaccine there is a 16 week delay between shots. So it’s 4+ months before you are fully vaccinated.

It’s not something being flagged in media as much yet but i expect it will soon

M_Murphy57 wrote: »
    Exactly right.

Same way that even though I'm vaccinated against polio and rubella, I still assume at all times that I might still have those diseases. All of my interactions with other humans are therefore (cautiously and sensibly) based first and foremost on the assumption that my presence may cause them to get polio or rubella - just because you're vaccinated doesnt mean you cant still be killing people by spreading disease every single day, you know.

I guess it's possible the people I'm interacting with might also have had vaccines against polio and rubella but there is also the chance that they might have falsified their vaccine carts or be lying. It's happened before.

Best to be cautious. You never know. Ever. No matter how much data there is.

In fairness your chances of being near somebody without a polio or rubella vaccine are slim-to-none. Even if you do find one their chances of being near somebody not vaccinated for these diseases is also slim... The same logic does not apply to COVID-19 and it's part of the reason the CDC suggest that only 2 fully vaccinated people can meet together indoors without social distancing or masks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭NSAman

faceman wrote: »
    Just picking up on this, and this isn’t a negative comment to your point, we are likely going to see vaccine snobbery as rollout increases and vaccine passports becoming the norm.

Once J&J rolls out, it’s a 1 shot vaccine. But if you’re unlucky to be dished the AZ vaccine there is a 16 week delay between shots. So it’s 4+ months before you are fully vaccinated.

Will J&J rollout though?

It has been put on hold in many states here as there are blood clotting issues with it also.

Having just had the J&J it is something that worries me personally. 2 weeks after the vaccine things are showing up.

faceman wrote: »

Just to elaborate on this, it's a 12 week between the 2 doses for AZ but your point is still a good one... There is also a 2 week wait for Moderna and Biontech after the second dose before full protection is given.. I presume there is similar for AZ and J&J but can't confirm

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

namloc1980 wrote: »

In quotes maybe, but he's in government too and should be effecting it from there. Donnelly has a fair bit to go to be as disastrous as Harris was. He just knows quotes placates some people, the same way Leo has recently been held up as some sort of good un again just because he's not Micheal Martin. For all the talk of NPHET on these threads, these politicians are the people that should get the venom.

The likes of Leo and Harris laughing at the people who are calling them up from the back of the room to save us.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Corholio wrote: »
    In quotes maybe, but he's in government too and should be effecting it from there. Donnelly has a fair bit to go to be as disastrous as Harris was. He just knows quotes placates some people, the same way Leo has recently been held up as some sort of good un again just because he's not Micheal Martin. For all the talk of NPHET on these threads, these politicians are the people that should get the venom.

The likes of Leo and Harris laughing at the people who are calling them up from the back of the room to save us.

Think he has done his fair share. Remember his trampolines nonsense or him walking around Dublin airport surrounded by the army making us look like some banana republic or getting annoyed that he doesn't get enough mentions on social media. Donnelly is a walking disaster zone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Is he though? They're as bad as each other.

Like how did we get to be so unlucky that during a major crisis, probably the biggest since the Republic was formed, we'd have some of the worst ministers 'leading' the country with a coalition government that is also seen as the worst we've ever had.

Our last Minister for Health (Harris) brought the last government down and our current Minister is getting reports analysed into Twitter mentions about his name.

John Cleese couldn't even have written half the shít that's happened at a gov/hse level in the last 12 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Think he has done his fair share. Remember his trampolines nonsense or him walking around Dublin airport surrounded by the army making us look like some banana republic or getting annoyed that he doesn't get enough mentions on social media. Donnelly is a walking disaster zone.

Oh, I'm absolutely no fan of Donnelly at all, way out of his depth totally. But the likes of Harris, who was quite the media whore himself, was a level of terrible long before a pandemic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

is_that_so wrote: »

I absolutely hated Harris back in the day but I have to say he did a good, leading job when this COVID thing started. Now I really miss his straight talking.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

josip wrote: »
    I think there's something about 'variants coming in from abroad' that triggers a 'keep foreign things and people out' defense/coping mechanism in some people.
    Even if it's Irish people bringing back the variant, there is still the irrational fear of 'abroad'.

This gets brought up a lot by those against restrictions on travel. In the current circumstances the fear is rational weather the traveler is Irish or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,643 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. I also mentioned testing, which you appear to have ignored.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭josip

saabsaab wrote: »
    This gets brought up a lot by those against restrictions on travel. In the current circumstances the fear is rational weather the traveler is Irish or not.

Saabsaab, have you been outside Ireland (much) ?
    Please feel free to not answer since it has little relevance to the topic, more my curiosity.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

josip wrote: »
    Saabsaab, have you been outside Ireland (much) ?
    Please feel free to not answer since it has little relevance to the topic, more my curiosity.

Yes, I have but not in the last year.

The reaction of some of the more “conservative”

Speaking as a small c conservative, my side are more against the restrictions than for them. I see the Left as the main supporters of these Stasi-like, Big State, anti-individual, collectivist restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Both are shocking. I still can't get over what Harris said last summer. We have to remember we had 18 covids before this one and we have yet to make a vaccine for any of them. Minister for health saying that over 6 months in to the discovery of covid 19. I think people forget how much out of his depth he was. He's an embarrassing joke who should never have gotten that job. Didn't do him any harm though, he's minister for Education now. Not bad for a college drop out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,462 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

No room at the Inn.

Internment hotels booked out this weekend. I get the impression the state will be allowing a lot of people to avoid the internment because they've no rooms left.

Advertisement