Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can we have some fcuking control on the airports from high risk countries please?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭a_squirrelman

People just want the virus under control

If that’s losing our minds, well, maybe it’s warranted at this stage

Then people need to look closer to home. There is a huge amount of people not following rules in Ireland. But as usual it's easier to point fingers at someone else.

Someone posted earlier about the TEN cases found from travel, but yeah ignore the 400 per day in the community.

Cue the usual responses: "covid didn't just magically get here" "christmas something something UK"

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Yakov P. Golyadkin

Feria40 wrote: »
    There is a poll on the Journal this morning asking if the government should cap the number of arrivals into the country.

Unbelievably 65% say yes.

I don't know what so say :(

It's The Journal, I'm surprised it's not 95%.

Jack1985 wrote: »
    Sorry that's actually not the case. The Indepedent confirmed it was a false-positive.

https://www.independent.ie/news/covid-tests-on-two-mothers-who-travelled-to-dubai-have-returned-negative-results-40281331.html

If you test positive in MHQ your stay increases from 10 to 20 to days. They were both negative.
    faceman wrote: »

Indeed. It's almost like there's no way for it to be denied by anyone including the hse isn't it?

Lucky that.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

As has been the case throughout this they are looking at scapegoats for the continued restrictions. As usual one element of the strategy is not going to be the answer. Travel might seed cases assuming people do not follow protocols but nowhere near as much as the daily reports of far more risky behaviour within the community that is driving cases. Break the transmissions in the community and the very odd case from travel is going to have very little impact.

When faced with inconvenient information like "right to return" you lie and misrepresent.

Excuse me?

I have spoken in detail about right to return on more then one occasion.

Perhaps you should look beyond a wiki entry that you scanned

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,643 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Then people need to look closer to home. There is a huge amount of people not following rules in Ireland. But as usual it's easier to point fingers at someone else.

Someone posted earlier about the TEN cases found from travel, but yeah ignore the 400 per day in the community.

Cue the usual responses: "covid didn't just magically get here" "christmas something something UK"

I wonder if those people realise that we are not AUS or NZ. Even with all these measures, we still have a large number of people coming into the country on a daily basis who are exempt from MHQ. Do we think those people are incapable of spreading the virus?

We could have done something like this early in the pandemic to get things under control - we didn't. We could done it at Christmas to help manage the inevitable surge - we didn't. Now we're finally getting people vaccinated, there's some light at the end of the tunnel, and this is the time we decide to go all in with international travel restrictions? It's fúcking insanity.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,888 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Alast wrote: »
    10 cases over 3(?) weeks vs 400+ cases every day in the "wild"
    yep, approx 5500 to 6000 cases in Ireland in the past fortnight , any of which could be the legendary "seed" of a super spreader event.

But of course that wont happen because the variant barely spreads in Ireland as irish people have a secret skill in not being able to spread the virus.

Its the lads off the plane are the problem, tourists, maurading about the place .... even if the numbers (and logic that closed hotels or inter country travel bans) suggest otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭timmyntc

There is a poll on the Journal this morning asking if the government should cap the number of arrivals into the country.

85% or something thought we should take the apple tax money too

Just wait until the courts rule against MHQ - should be fun

Lmkrnr wrote: »
    People who want to travel need to fight back. Closing the borders somewhat is a year to late. The government got it wrong, spectacularly wrong. Now they are making it up as they go along using Nephet as the shield.
    The argument for a long time last year was that it was a very low number travelling and that the positivity rates were so low. Community behaviour is and always has been the big problem. Also it is clear there is only one political entity who do not agree with the MHQ and they ran the country until July.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Hahahahahahahaha. Hilarious.

As documented in research in China, we now have unprecedented levels of non compliance with covid rules. Travel is going to become worse. There’s already “underground” travel operators offering Irish travellers way to get around the rules getting to Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,462 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Typical Irish, they support it until their own family are affected by it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

is_that_so wrote: »
    As has been the case throughout this they are looking at scapegoats for the continued restrictions. As usual one element of the strategy is not going to be the answer. Travel might seed cases assuming people do not follow protocols but nowhere near as much as the daily reports of far more risky behaviour within the community that is driving cases. Break the transmissions in the community and the very odd case from travel is going to have very little impact.

Travel is a huge part of the problem though

I can’t emphasise this enough

Ppl are sick of getting the r rate down only to see it rise from travel cases imported into the state.

Often from non essential travel.

It is infuriating.

We need to get that turned off or down to a manageable trickle

hotel quarantine addresses that but probably doesn’t go far enough.

Your first mistake was reading the journal

Your second was admitting it

Ppl are sick of getting the r rate down only to see it rise from travel cases imported into the state.

It is infuriating.

Even if you lock borders it still gets in and we are not an isolated rock in the South Pacific. So-called bad behaviour is what spreads it and continues to spread it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Travel is part of the problem though

It is infuriating.

The R rate rose only because of travel cases!? That's bonkers. Cases are created from transmission, not from individuals travelling. Only the initial entry can be blamed on travel. The R rate is the result of transmission, lots of reasons for increased transmission which upped the rate.

But Irish people good......travellers bad right?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Corholio wrote: »
    The R rate rose only because of travel cases!? That's bonkers. Cases are created from transmission, not from individuals travelling. Only the initial entry can be blamed on travel. The R rate is the result of transmission, lots of reasons for increased transmission which upped the rate.

But Irish people good......travellers bad right?

I don’t blame travel solely, far from it. But I acknowledge travel is a big problem in importing in new cases and spreading it. We are only fooling ourselves denying that

I don’t blame travel solely, far from it. But I acknowledge travel is a big problem in importing in new cases and spreading it

But transmission is much, much more of a factor. New 'cases' can be created and multiplied in a very short time with recklessness in every day settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,275 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

But transmission is much, much more of a factor. New 'cases' can be created and multiplied in a very short time with recklessness in every day settings.

We have controls on community transmission through national lockdowns though, are you suggesting we shouldn't be attempting to control infection from abroad?

We have controls on community transmission through national lockdowns though, are you suggesting we shouldn't be attempting to control infection from abroad?

The initial point argued was that the R rate rose because of travel. I never said we shouldn't be attempting, but you very well know that.

From someone who said the only thing that stressed you in the last year was the rugby, you seem quite bothered about the whole thing.

The initial point argued was that the R rate rose because of travel. I never said we shouldn't be attempting, but you very well know that.

From someone who said the only thing that stressed you in the last year was the rugby, you seem quite bothered about the whole thing.

So you agree with quarantine then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Mullaghteelin

It is infuriating.

The rights of those who are resident here 100% of the time should take precedence over those who are swanning in and out of the country every few weeks. By all accounts those with genuine absolutely essential reasons to travel are a minority, while we still have tourists coming and going, or residents back from sun holidays.

I have long feared a deadly contagious virus emerging somewhere in the world and how we would react. It appears we would be doomed if a situation demanded an immediate and strict closure of borders. Ireland inc has demonstrated it would be unable or unwilling to do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

The rights of those who are resident here 100% of the time should take precedence over those who are swanning in and out of the country every few weeks. By all accounts those with genuine absolutely essential reasons to travel are a minority, while we still have tourists coming and going, or residents back from sun holidays.

I have long feared a deadly contagious virus emerging somewhere in the world and how we would react. It appears we would be doomed if a situation demanded an immediate and strict closure of borders. Ireland inc has demonstrated it would be unable or unwilling to do this.

This pandemic has really damaged people’s mental health. Some have lost all perspective. The government will need to invest a lot into campaigns to get people out and about and active. Otherwise we’ll never open up again.

So you agree with quarantine then?

Done correctly, yes. But nice evasion.

Done correctly, yes. But nice evasion.

What in your opinion is 'done correctly?'

What in your opinion is 'done correctly?'

Much more foresight of issues that have cropped up, much better and transparent reasons why countries are added/delisted, if serious about 'variants' then people here who have it should be tracked down, better communication with countries (some only heard just before they were added), testing should be a much stronger factor to shorten stays etc.

I don't think it's an overall good system if it's just for 'variants', people without the variants get caught up in it and quarantined, while people here can walk around positive if they want.

But this is a big tangent from the initial point that was replied to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

is_that_so wrote: »
    Even if you lock borders it still gets in and we are not an isolated rock in the South Pacific. So-called bad behaviour is what spreads it and continues to spread it.

Your correct with what you say. However, the larger the numbers coming into Ireland the more likely you are to have people coming in with covid ( a more transmissible variant perhaps). The more barriers you put in place the less people will enter the state. Does anyone believe that the UK variant that spread like wildfire in December/January came into Ireland once. Personally I think more that one person brought it here. Some of them probably did the right thing and restricted their movements when they got here but others didn’t. Some cases will still come in but the more cases you catch the less chance of those cases becoming clusters getting into the community.

mohawk wrote: »
    Your correct with what you say. However, the larger the numbers coming into Ireland the more likely you are to have people coming in with covid ( a more transmissible variant perhaps). The more barriers you put in place the less people will enter the state. Does anyone believe that the UK variant that spread like wildfire in December/January came into Ireland once. Personally I think more that one person brought it here. Some of them probably did the right thing and restricted their movements when they got here but others didn’t. Some cases will still come in but the more cases you catch the less chance of those cases becoming clusters getting into the community.

Do you support MHQ from the UK?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭Blut2

Travel had no impact on the 'R' rate, that claim is very easily dis-proven nonsense:

RNYjRh5.jpg

Throughout this year travel has hovered at around 0.5% of covid cases in Ireland in any two week period. Thats a snapshot of one two week period, but you can check the rest and see the same.

Even before mandatory PCR tests on arrival, and before mandatory hotel quarantine, travel was responsible for almost no corona cases in Ireland.

mohawk wrote: »
    The problem is that MHQ ends up being a capacity one, a point that was made more than once last year, and costing us an awful lot of money. Australia and NZ overcame that by very low caps on how may could come into the country. That really would not fly here at all. Again, you are ignoring behaviours. The virus doesn't spread willy-nilly by itself, it needs human activity in the community to spread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

Do you support MHQ from the UK?

We share a land border with the UK. Thousands cross the border daily for work/Education etc. I am not so naive to think we can have MHQ for people in the UK.

I am just pointing out that I can see a logic in reducing travel into the state until there are more people vaccinated. I can see the flaws in the current MHQ system and it probably came a year too late.

Advertisement