Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can we have some fcuking control on the airports from high risk countries please?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 939 ✭✭✭mikep

I am aware of that but from what I have seen lately there seems to be a perception that people think everything is back to normal and the only source of infection will be from people from planes/boats bringing it in..

The focus on community transmission needs to be maintained and how to slow the spread needs to be the top priority..

I think all high risk arrivals must be tested and isolated until proven clear..plenty of empty hotels near airports.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭theological

unhappys10 wrote: »
    I just said what I saw ffs
    Your view could be as much BS as mine.

Vigilante enforcer...get a grip.

Assuming that someone with a GB registration must be a violator of the rules is kind of being a vigilante enforcer.

As I said previously, GB registrations are common in Northern Ireland in the second hand market. If it wasn't you don't know the circumstances.

When you've got some evidence of hordes of Brits arriving in Ireland for a hollier without isolating, do let me know.

I still say this kind of holier than thou attitude is pretty ugly.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Lillyfae wrote: »
    Erm, to be fair it's all from foreign travel. The virus didn't get into planes or cars itself, travel to a new jurisdiction and jump up people's noses...
    Eh, to be fair, it was originally from foreign travel but overall that accounted for 2% of the cases. The majority has been, and is, from within the country. Now watching that rise from foreign travel is important and in particular the related country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,935 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Why do you need to travel by air right now? No one NEEDS to travel by air.

Need to bring in a traffic light system like a lot of EU countries.

Anyone from a "Green" country, i.e. one with an infection rate the same or lower than Ireland should be allowed to travel here.

Anyone from an Amber country will be subject to quarantine/isolation for 2 weeks or with 2 negative tests or 1 negative for an Irish citizen in 48 hours can roam free.

Red countries with high infection rates from Brazil, USA etc. would be denied entry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭unhappys10

Assuming that someone with a GB registration must be a violator of the rules is kind of being a vigilante enforcer.

As I said previously, GB registrations are common in Northern Ireland in the second hand market. If it wasn't you don't know the circumstances.

When you've got some evidence of hordes of Brits arriving in Ireland for a hollier without isolating, do let me know.

I still say this kind of holier than thou attitude is pretty ugly.

Anyone who thinks they aren't coming in is part of the problem. Yeh you did say previously, and I pointed out you haven't a clue either.
    So I think I'll stick to the idea that there are people out there who don't give a sh1t and think their holidays are more important than other people's welfare or preventing the spread of this virus.

• Advertisement

unhappys10 wrote: »
    Anyone who thinks they aren't coming in is part of the problem. Yeh you did say previously, and I pointed out you haven't a clue either.
    So I think I'll stick to the idea that there are people out there who don't give a sh1t and think their holidays are more important than other people's welfare or preventing the spread of this virus.

You're welcome to draw that conclusion from seeing one car on the motorway with a GB plate when there are numerous other explanations for that.

Most of us have a higher evidence threshold, but each to their own I guess! (Including the poor driver you're casting aspersions on when they were likely following the rules!!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭unhappys10

You're welcome to draw that conclusion from seeing one car on the motorway with a GB plate when there are numerous other explanations for that.

Most of us have a higher evidence threshold, but each to their own I guess! (Including the poor driver you're casting aspersions on when they were likely following the rules!!)

Are you for real? The poor driver who overtook on a corner, realised they couldn't make it and nearly cut the nose off my car all while it was lashing rain and my 1 year old was in the back, yeh the poor lad, God help him. People like you are the reason this virus will be around for a long time yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Need to bring in a traffic light system like a lot of EU countries.

Anyone from a "Green" country, i.e. one with an infection rate the same or lower than Ireland should be allowed to travel here.

Anyone from an Amber country will be subject to quarantine/isolation for 2 weeks or with 2 negative tests or 1 negative for an Irish citizen in 48 hours can roam free.

Red countries with high infection rates from Brazil, USA etc. would be denied entry.

Michael Martin kind of let the beans spill yesterday about there plans.
    Nobody seemed to have picked up on it concentrating on American flights.
    They plan on adopting a similar plans as the EU commission issued .
    Rumor mill has it it will be the same except for a handful of European states
    , Targeting testing from America seems to be on the cards with random testing from Europe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,767 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Did anyone hear the Car crash interview with that aul wagon Mary Kenny (Irish indo Hack) on Sarah mcinernery just now

Well past her sell by date

She is whinging and whining about being asked to quarantine coming back to Ireland for the “Percy French festival” whatever that is....

she shrilly said it seems cead mile failte is cancelled

As usual form with this wan she wants an exception made for herself

It’s people like this that absolutely Should be made quarantine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

ixoy wrote: »
    Eh, to be fair, it was originally from foreign travel but overall that accounted for 2% of the cases. The majority has been, and is, from within the country. Now watching that rise from foreign travel is important and in particular the related country.

No I do get it, it's just that it can't be ignored that the reason the virus is in the country in the first place is because somebody returned from abroad with it. An area of great risk, no less. Obviously spread further by people who hadn't traveled, but cannot be ignored in the context of the curve being flattened by lockdown measures. Tourists from areas of risk not adhering to quarantine, and those who go to areas of risk, return and likewise ignore quarantine have the potential to increase the R number once more.

I accept another posters theory that the government's hesitation on creating a list of safe countries has to do with compensating airlines though. Anyone who thinks that a CEO of an MNC gives a shiny sh*te at the moment whether their worker bees can visit their European base has never been anywhere near an MNC. They're only too delighted that their Business Development departments don't have to be falling over themselves to be in Hong Kong at a weeks notice. I'm anticipating the "We reduced our carbon footprint (and our travel/per diem overheads :pac:) by eleventy million percent in 2020 because we're brilliant and we love trees" email to come in on the 1st of January 2020....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭tromtipp

The Percy French festival has a very odd lineup of speakers - looks more like the old guard right wing festival.

Why on earth are events like this being permitted this year? (not specifically right wing events - things that involve people assembling and mixing in unnecessary situations).

Did anyone hear the Car crash interview with that aul wagon Mary Kenny (Irish indo Hack) on Sarah mcinernery just now

Well past her sell by date

She is whinging and whining about being asked to quarantine coming back to Ireland - she shrilly said it seems cead mile failte is cancelled

As usual form with this wan she wants an exception made for herself

It’s people like this that absolutely Should be made quarantine.

I just cannot understand people who think that non-essential foreign travel is necessary, and then double down by discouraging mandatory quarantine. The last thing any of us want is for harder restrictions to be imposed again within Ireland. For all of their moaning about the economy and "our childrens' futures", importing fresh clusters of Covid-19 is unfathomably stupid. Then the Government could be forced to bring the hammer down again on social distancing, thus putting hundreds of thousands out of work and deepening the recession. These geniuses pushing for their holiday abroad cannot be reasoned with on any level, and don't give a flying f*ck if the rest of us have to suffer the consequences of their ignorant actions down the line.

tromtipp wrote: »
    The Percy French festival has a very odd lineup of speakers - looks more like the old guard right wing festival.

Why on earth are events like this being permitted this year? (not specifically right wing events - things that involve people assembling and mixing in unnecessary situations).

Hmmm...interesting...When mcinereny asked Mary kenny if it should be cancelled she nearly flew off the handle altogether - I’ve never heard of it before but surely most arts type festivals can be postponed in the circumstances ??

Update

Sarah saying Mary Kenny has prompted “an awful lot of anger” from the listeners

And the Percy French festival has said Mary Kenny cannot now travel to it

Mary Kenny should have been retired twenty years ago. She comes across as one of these paranoid curtain twitchers dialling Joe if a neighbour had the audacity to look at her crooked. Then all this padding in her columns about "putting a lickle bit of God in your life. Let me tell about the time I had an aul matter with Bridie from over the road, morals are being degraded by the minute. And here I am without a pulpit telling people what to do. It's a disgrace, a disgrace bejaysus. Ah I cursed again, where's me rosary beads the divil is waiting"

To be honest, listening to her earlier, She was so off the wall I am wondering is there an age related issue there ...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,642 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I just cannot understand people who think that non-essential foreign travel is necessary, and then double down by discouraging mandatory quarantine. The last thing any of us want is for harder restrictions to be imposed again within Ireland. For all of their moaning about the economy and "our childrens' futures", importing fresh clusters of Covid-19 is unfathomably stupid. Then the Government could be forced to bring the hammer down again on social distancing, thus putting hundreds of thousands out of work and deepening the recession. These geniuses pushing for their holiday abroad cannot be reasoned with on any level, and don't give a flying f*ck if the rest of us have to suffer the consequences of their ignorant actions down the line.

Maybe there are people with a bigger picture view that blanket travel bans don’t make sense?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,673 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

I emailed all my TDs. Sinn Fein are the only ones who responded. No response from the Taoiseach, Minister for Public Expenditure and Minister for Foreign Affairs who are supposed to be my “representatives”.

519724.jpeg

the government is achieving exactly what it wanted which is to make travel socially unacceptable without them actually having to do anything (doesnt stop the Americans coming in though)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Most of us are smart enough to realise that there is no end-game to the lockdown-mania.

A vaccine may be many years away or may never be found.

Anyone who thinks it is practical to stay in a lockdown for the duration is quite simply, an imbecile. The situation in 12 months time will most likely be no different from what it is now and we'll still have the 'granny-saviors' waging their fingers at us while pompously telling us how we need to stay locked down.

There are more important factors at play than simply trying to placate the irrational fears of the hysteria-brigade.

I'm heading off abroad in a couple of weeks and as far as I'm concerned the misery merchants can all do one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,935 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Most of us are smart enough to realise that there is no end-game to the lockdown-mania.
    Anyone who thinks it is practical to stay in a lockdown for the duration is quite simply, an imbecile. The situation in 12 months time will most likely be no different from what it is now and we'll still have the 'granny-saviors' waging their fingers at us while pompously telling us how we need to stay locked down..

Yea true, now I hear that any vaccine which may arrive next year may not provide long lasting protection and may need boosters etc. for each subsequent year.
    So if some people are waiting for a Vaccine before they consider opening up the economy, well... start growing your own food and using solar panels for electricity.

From now on we're going to be playing "Covid whack-a-mole" so stop complaining and get used to it.

• Advertisement

Anyone who thinks it is practical to stay in a lockdown for the duration is quite simply, an imbecile. The situation in 12 months time will most likely be no different from what it is now and we'll still have the 'granny-saviors' waging their fingers at us while pompously telling us how we need to stay locked down.

There are more important factors at play than simply trying to placate the irrational fears of the hysteria-brigade.

I'm heading off abroad in a couple of weeks and as far as I'm concerned the misery merchants can all do one.

I think that the lockdown in March made perfect sense. This was a virus we didn't know about, and it spread in a way and to an extent we didn't realise. There was no data.

However, now that the lockdown has passed, we should expect that our governments have been using that time well to put the level of monitoring in place that we need.

For the record, I actually support limiting travel, possibly even banning flights entirely from the US or Brazil. The problem I have with posters on this thread arguing for this is that their arguments quite frankly suck. They use rubbish anecdotes like I saw a guy with a GB registration on the motorway and conclude that people are flouting the rules left, right and centre even when there is more than likely a more rational conclusion to draw. Or the idea that we've got rakes of Brazilians they must have all flown to Dublin in the last fortnight.

Good policy is made from the top with a birds eye view of the data. It is never made from anecdotes on the bottom.

Also - key question to those making these sort of arguments is what kind of society do you want to live in. A society full of division because everyone is turning on each other or a society where people draw together in challenging times? The crappy anecdotes just create division.

I think that the lockdown in March made perfect sense. This was a virus we didn't know about, and it spread in a way and to an extent we didn't realise. There was no data.

However, now that the lockdown has passed, we should expect that our governments have been using that time well to put the level of monitoring in place that we need.

For the record, I actually support limiting travel, possibly even banning flights entirely from the US or Brazil. The problem I have with posters on this thread arguing for this is that their arguments quite frankly suck. They use rubbish anecdotes like I saw a guy with a GB registration on the motorway and conclude that people are flouting the rules left, right and centre even when there is more than likely a more rational conclusion to draw. Or the idea that we've got rakes of Brazilians they must have all flown to Dublin in the last fortnight.

Good policy is made from the top with a birds eye view of the data. It is never made from anecdotes on the bottom.

Also - key question to those making these sort of arguments is what kind of society do you want to live in. A society full of division because everyone is turning on each other or a society where people draw together in challenging times? The crappy anecdotes just create division.

Could easily say that the careless people who don’t care about anyone else so long as they can holiday and go to the pub are the ones creating division.

Could easily say that the careless people who don’t care about anyone else so long as they can holiday and go to the pub are the ones creating division.

It is legal to go to the pub and it can be done safely. I just walked by my local pub (in the UK) on my lunchtime walk, people are mostly sat outside in groups at tables. If holidays are permitted it isn't people who are to blame. It is government policy.

If government policy banned flights from the US, then this wouldn't be a problem.

However, this thing of COVID vigilantes seeing something and deciding to be the holier than thou overseers of this is obnoxious. If you have a concern discuss it with your TD based on facts, not on I saw Johnny down the road being bold.

It is legal to go to the pub and it can be done safely. I just walked by my local pub (in the UK) on my lunchtime walk, people are mostly sat outside in groups at tables. If holidays are permitted it isn't people who are to blame. It is government policy.

If government policy banned flights from the US, then this wouldn't be a problem.

However, this thing of COVID vigilantes seeing something and deciding to be the holier than thou overseers of this is obnoxious. If you have a concern discuss it with your TD based on facts, not on I saw Johnny down the road being bold.

So there’s no divide so long as everyone does what you want?

So there’s no divide so long as everyone does what you want?

I think we should be charitable to others instead of assuming things. Problems like this aren't solved by people pointing to individuals in scorn. They are solved by raising them politely based on facts to the people who can actually change things.

How we conduct ourselves and how we speak tells us about what kind of world we want to live in. I don't want to live in a world where my neighbours are looking at each other in scorn because they have a holier than thou attitude to others.

This virus has really brought out quite ugly attitudes in people. We should be working constructively and not working destructively to tear others down.

I think we should be charitable to others instead of assuming things. Problems like this aren't solved by people pointing to individuals in scorn. They are solved by raising them politely based on facts to the people who can actually change things.

How we conduct ourselves and how we speak tells us about what kind of world we want to live in. I don't want to live in a world where my neighbours are looking at each other in scorn because they have a holier than thou attitude to others.

This virus has really brought out quite ugly attitudes in people. We should be working constructively and not working destructively to tear others down.

Sorry but that is the biggest load of absolute muck I have read here in a long time. Claiming ugly attitudes and working together yet not one bit of it aimed at the cretins who will not follow advice and make things better for us all. They’re the problem, not the people pointing it out. I’ll take public safety and anyone calling out things that go agains that than wanting to put your head under the covers for fear of a bit of confrontation. Wake yourself up, this isn’t some social experiment it’s a pandemic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,684 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Have a read of your next post and ask yourself who's more likely to be creating divisions?
    Sorry but that is the biggest load of absolute muck I have read here in a long time. Claiming ugly attitudes and working together yet not one bit of it aimed at the cretins who will not follow advice and make things better for us all. They’re the problem, not the people pointing it out. I’ll take public safety and anyone calling out things that go agains that than wanting to put your head under the covers for fear of a bit of confrontation. Wake yourself up, this isn’t some social experiment it’s a pandemic.

AdamD wrote: »
    Have a read of your next post and ask yourself who's more likely to be creating divisions?

Who cares about divisions? People need to behave appropriately regardless. Not calling out people on it or not making them feel like they’re doing wrong because of the fear of ‘divisions’ is mind blowingly stupid.
    This affects everyone so if someone is acting like a prick then they should be informed they’re being a prick.

I don't view people as "cretins" for going to the pub when they are legally allowed to.

I don't view people as "cretins" for going somewhere when they are legally allowed to.

If the problem is that people are permitted to do this, then I suggest putting your energy in convincing those who actually have agency to change the legal conditions behind people doing these things.

And yes, it is a horribly ugly attitude to view other people as "cretins".

• Advertisement

I don't view people as "cretins" for going to the pub when they are legally allowed to.

I don't view people as "cretins" for going somewhere when they are legally allowed to.

If the problem is that people are permitted to do this, then I suggest putting your energy in convincing those who actually have agency to change the legal conditions behind people doing these things.

And yes, it is a horribly ugly attitude to view other people as "cretins".

It’s horribly ugly that people aren’t following guidelines when there are people’s lives at stake, no matter how under the illusion you are that they all are.

Advertisement