Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can we have some fcuking control on the airports from high risk countries please?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭a_squirrelman

saabsaab wrote: »
    Take the cigs? Fine and jail after?

So confiscate your stuff as well as locking you up? Sounds more like prison every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

So confiscate your stuff as well as locking you up? Sounds more like prison every day.

Would be if you break the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭a_squirrelman

Would be if you break the law.

Jail for smoking. :D You would have done well under communism. StasiSaab.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

NSAman wrote: »
    I'd take up smoking inside.... what are they gonna do? Kick you out?

I dunno. Any prison movie I've seen has cigarettes we currency. Maybe you can trade them for a shorter stay or a better dinner.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭josip

Classy, that will be lovely for the housekeeping staff on minimum that has to clean after a dick

I’ve served my time in housekeeping and it won’t have any impact on the room cleaning staff.
    For every checkout, the room gets the same full clean, unless someone is cutting corners or the hotel is short staffed.
    If there’s a smell in the room at the end of the clean, it’s reported to the supervisor and it’s their problem.
    If the supervisor can’t track down the smell, it goes to head of housekeeping and the room gets blocked until the smell is tracked down.
    And I wouldn’t lose any sleep about lost revenue for a hotel that’s profiteering from MHQ.

• Advertisement

josip wrote: »
    I’ve served my time in housekeeping and it won’t have any impact on the room cleaning staff.
    For every checkout, the room gets the same full clean, unless someone is cutting corners or the hotel is short staffed.
    If there’s a smell in the room at the end of the clean, it’s reported to the supervisor and it’s their problem.
    If the supervisor can’t track down the smell, it goes to head of housekeeping and the room gets blocked until the smell is tracked down.
    And I wouldn’t lose any sleep about lost revenue for a hotel that’s profiteering from MHQ.

Doesn't matter, still would be a scummy thing to do.

Doesn't matter, still would be a scummy thing to do.

But not quite as scummy as wanting to lock up for 2 weeks, a fully vaccinated, negative PCR-ed person who was coming home to be with their dying father.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭glenfieldman

As did I, hotel, b&b and the worst was a hostel
    But as for leaving something that bad, the poor housekeeper would be left responsible, the supervisor would throw them under the bus to save their skin
    Better to leave loads of ****ty reviews on online travel sites,
    That would hurt them and not the staff

But not quite as scummy as wanting to lock up for 2 weeks, a fully vaccinated, negative PCR-ed person who was coming home to be with their dying father.

Here we go again. An individual hard case over and dealt with now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭glenfieldman

OMG, I thought you were joking, its not the hotels that are "locking" up these people
    Its the government, put smelly cheese in Leinster House

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,272 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

If I ever found myself having to do MHQ, I'd be stashing blocks of cheese above the ceiling tiles on my last day inside.

Is that to annoy the next person occupying the room or the cleaning staff? Also remember they'll probably have your credit card details
    NSAman wrote: »
    I'd take up smoking inside.... what are they gonna do? Kick you out?

I think smoking in a public workplace carries a fine, so whatever the fine would be multiplied by the number of times you'd get caught

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Lmkrnr

A leak in the wall cavity will cause some hassle. By the time its found it could be coming from anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Feria40

For anyone interested in whats in the works re the proposed EU Digital Green Cert

https://www.thejournal.ie/council-of-eu-5410140-Apr2021/?utm_source=twitter_short

Feria40 wrote: »
    For anyone interested in whats in the works re the proposed EU Digital Green Cert

https://www.thejournal.ie/council-of-eu-5410140-Apr2021/?utm_source=twitter_short

The complicated part will be third country certificates. It seems like it will be down to individual states to agree reciprocity with third countries re, their versions of the certificates. So would the UK and the US certificates meet the grade? I would assume so, but that seems to be the big moving part for me

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Feria40

The complicated part will be third country certificates. It seems like it will be down to individual states to agree reciprocity with third countries re, their versions of the certificates. So would the UK and the US certificates meet the grade? I would assume so, but that seems to be the big moving part for me

I would expect so tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Trampas

Why is it airlines responsibility to make sure customers have made a quarantine booking. Is it not up to passport control people or someone else at airport.

Is this excuse another one of the government failings

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

The US are not planning to use them. There is still very much a sense of a temporary measure about these anyway. It's really to try to get this summer up and running in the EU.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭shtpEdthePlum

I wonder what Poland voted on them. They are a nation who has a history of requiring papers to travel.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

OMG, I thought you were joking, its not the hotels that are "locking" up these people
    Its the government, put smelly cheese in Leinster House

Won’t make a difference. Plenty of smelly cheese in Leinster House already

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

faceman wrote: »

Blame is the airlines... what a joke. Europe must be pissing themselves looking at this

is_that_so wrote: »
    The US are not planning to use them. There is still very much a sense of a temporary measure about these anyway. It's really to try to get this summer up and running in the EU.

US vaccine certs (paper based I think in the most part) are being accepted in some EU countries already (Croatia, Greece, Poland (for polish citizens), Iceland (not EU I know). It’ll be on a bilateral basis, like the EU statement said yesterday. I am sure that by september we will have some kind of bilateral arrangement for US citizens to travel here. Hope that’s the case, so that family can visit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭Dr. Em

Blame is the airlines... what a joke. Europe must be pissing themselves looking at this

Europe? Some countries in Europe are probably scratching their heads right now wondering why airlines aren't at all afraid of the Irish government. Germany and the Netherlands have already required airlines to check for negative tests prior to boarding. Lufthansa/Euro Wings is planning to set up their own package testing deal.
    Ensuring that no one is allowed to fly without a negative test is the first step to getting rid of mandatory hotel quarantine. The next step would be mandatory testing on arrival at the airport (preferably free), and an enforceable requirement to present for testing at a later date. Instead, the government has bypassed all intermediate steps.
    If you are against MHQ, it only makes sense to ensure that the airlines require negative test results prior to flying, if they are not already doing so. Even saying that those who arrive without a PCR test will be tested and quarantined, rather than refused boarding, perpetuates MHQ

• Registered Users Posts: 3,826 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

Dr. Em wrote: »
    Europe? Some countries in Europe are probably scratching their heads right now wondering why airlines aren't at all afraid of the Irish government. Germany and the Netherlands have already required airlines to check for negative tests prior to boarding. Lufthansa/Euro Wings is planning to set up their own package testing deal.
    Ensuring that no one is allowed to fly without a negative test is the first step to getting rid of mandatory hotel quarantine. The next step would be mandatory testing on arrival at the airport (preferably free), and an enforceable requirement to present for testing at a later date. Instead, the government has bypassed all intermediate steps.
    If you are against MHQ, it only makes sense to ensure that the airlines require negative test results prior to flying, if they are not already doing so. Even saying that those who arrive without a PCR test will be tested and quarantined, rather than refused boarding, perpetuates MHQ

is that not the case already? everyone i know who flew in the last say 10 months, so mid summer on had to have a negative test both ways

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

I would think that a review of MHQ would be a basic next step.

Some additional rules, say you are vaccinated, had a negative test pre leaving and then you get a negative test post arrival (would mean 1 night quarantine max?)

Then for non vacc a longer stint. 1 test pre and 2 post arrival 5 days apart.

We missed the boat on the zero risk policy so its really just risk reduction now surely.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭muddypuppy

Dr. Em wrote: »

Airlines have a legal obligation to check for a PCR test, while they're being asked by Donnelly to be nice and please check for a MHQ booking (which is funny, given that the mean reason for delaying the introduction of MHQ was that they took time to write the legislation for it...).
    As far as I know, both Ryanair and Aerlingus ask you for a test before boarding. If they're not, the government should challenge them in court.
    Also, there is a big fine, possible jail time (and now MHQ) if you flight into Ireland without a PCR test. If this is not being enforced at the airport then it's the government to blame.

I do agree that there could be a lot more testing. We could require antigen testing done a few hours before the flight in addition to the PCR one, like the Netherlands does, but Ireland (NHPET to be honest) doesn't believe in them. Even without forcing people, it would be nice to at least offer a free test when you land and a free test after 5/10 days (right now you have to pay for it, so I doubt many people are doing it).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

First off just to lay out that I'm totally against MHQ and I think a negative PCR should be enough to enter the country. I don't think there should be any home quarentine either. When in the country everyone should have the same rules e.g. stay on County, no indoor household mixing etc. The person here who tests positive can roam around while someone with the negative PCR and vaccinated is locked in a hotel room!

From the mumblings from government it sounds like vaccinated people are going to be exempt from MHQ in the near future. Was the whole point of MHQ not to stop variants coming in that may evade the vaccines? By excluding vaccinated people are we saying we are no longer fearful the variants will escape the vaccines? If so then why do we have MHQ? If we are still worried about variants escaping the vaccines then it makes no sense to exclude vaccinated people.

The whole MHQ just keeps getting worse and worse, it's an absolute joke. Some of the politicians shouting loudest for MHQ like Roisin Shorthall is now saying there should be exemptions on humanitarian grounds. Either you're worried about the variants or you're not. You can't pick and choose who to quarentine.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭M_Murphy57

faceman wrote: »

The problem is they have "So many walk ins"? .... so people who managed to travel here with no MHQ booking are voluntarily turning themselves in at a prison they have to pay 2k to enter?!

Pull the other one Donnelly, what a national embarrassment and absolute spoofer he is!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Govt looking at issue of fully vaccinated and MHQ.

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0415/1209980-covid-19-quarantine/

• Advertisement

M_Murphy57 wrote: »
    The problem is they have "So many walk ins"? .... so people who managed to travel here with no MHQ booking are voluntarily turning themselves in at a prison they have to pay 2k to enter?!

Pull the other one Donnelly, what a national embarrassment and absolute spoofer he is!

From what I hear, most of the 'walk ins' are not from red list countries, but people from other countries who somehow made it here without a valid PCR test.

Advertisement